• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker - The Two Asian Americas

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
A really insightful piece detailing some of the hardships and systemic racism Asian immigrants have had to deal with in North America for centuries.

Karan Mahajan said:
In 1928, an Indian immigrant named Vaishno Das Bagai rented a room in San Jose, turned on the gas, and ended his life. He was thirty-seven. He had come to San Francisco thirteen years earlier with his wife and two children, “dreaming and hoping to make this land my own.” A dapper man, he learned English, wore three-piece suits, became a naturalized citizen, and opened a general store and import business on Fillmore Street, in San Francisco. But when Bagai tried to move his family into a home in Berkeley, the neighbors locked up the house, and the Bagais had to turn their luggage trucks back. Then, in 1923, Bagai found himself snared by anti-Asian laws: the Supreme Court ruled that South Asians, because they were not white, could not become naturalized citizens of the United States. Bagai was stripped of his status. Under the California Alien Land Law, of 1913—a piece of racist legislation designed to deter Asians from encroaching on white businesses and farms—losing that status also meant losing his property and his business. The next blow came when he tried to visit India. The United States government advised him to apply for a British passport.

---

Bagai could have been speaking for the mass of Asian-Americans—Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Koreans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Hmong, and Filipinos—who escaped colonialism or economic hardship at home only to encounter a country rancid with racism. Racism, as Lee shows, was the unifying factor in the Asian-American experience, bringing together twenty-three distinct immigrant groups, from very different parts of the world. It determined the jobs that Asians were able to acquire, the sizes of their families, and their self-esteem in America. If Asian America exists, it is because of systemic racism.

A few weeks ago, Donald Trump climbed a stage and crassly mimicked a Japanese (or was it a Chinese?) accent, in supposed admiration of the old stereotype that the Japanese are soulless, rapacious businessmen. This was just after Jeb Bush defended his use of the term “anchor babies” by saying that it was “more related to Asian people” than to Latinos.In September, the F.B.I. finally dropped all charges against Dr. Xi Xiaoxing, a Chinese-American physicist at Temple University arrested, in May, for passing on sensitive superconductor technology to China. The F.B.I. had claimed it had blueprints of the technology, but when independent experts examined the blueprints, they found that they weren’t for the device in question. “I don’t expect them to understand everything I do,” Xi told the Times. “But the fact that they don’t consult with experts and then charge me? Put my family through all this? Damage my reputation? They shouldn’t do this. This is not a joke. This is not a game.”

These are just a few recent stories, of course, but they stand in for many others. Asian-Americans are still regarded as “other” by many of their fellow-citizens. And yet one finds among some Asian-Americans a reluctance to call out racist acts, in part because of their supposed privilege in comparison with other minority groups. Meanwhile, much of the history of Asians in America, a history that now spans nearly half a millennium, has been forgotten.

---

From the initial ports of entry, Asians, particularly the Chinese and Filipinos, radiated outward, so that, in the mid-eighteen-hundreds, there was a Filipino fishing village in Louisiana and a Chinatown in Havana, as well as active Chinese communities along much of the West Coast. Lee describes life and labor in these communities well, explaining, for instance, why Chinese immigrants got into the laundry business during the Gold Rush. (At the time, it was cheaper for someone living in San Francisco to have clothes washed in Honolulu than to get them laundered in the city. Chinese immigrants seized the opportunity that provided.) Lee is particularly acute on the racism these immigrants endured. Chinese were called, at various times, “rats,” “beasts,” and “swine.” The president of the American Federation of Labor said that the presence of the Chinese in America was a matter of “Meat vs. Rice—American Manhood vs Asiatic Coolieism.” Kaiser Wilhelm woke from a nightmare in 1895 and commissioned a hideous painting showing the archangel Michael beset by heathen hordes from the East—the famed “yellow peril.” When more Chinese started coming after the Gold Rush, employed on large projects like the Pacific Railroad, anti-Chinese sentiment became shrill. In 1882, on the basis that Chinese workers undercut wages, Congress passed the Chinese Exclusion Act, banning low-skilled and family immigration, and making the Chinese, in Lee’s words, “the first illegal immigrants.” (As Jiayang Fan noted in a recent piece for this magazine, “The act, which wasn’t repeated until 1943, remains the only federal law ever to exclude a group of people by nationality.”) Special agents known as “Chinese catchers” appeared on the border with Mexico, and the Secretary of Labor despaired that “not even a Chinese wall” along the border would stop Chinese immigration. In 1871, in the largest mass lynching in American history, seventeen Chinese men were murdered by a mob of five hundred, in Los Angeles.

Other Asians—Indians, Koreans, and Japanese—followed, and they, too, faced xenophobia. Koreans, who wished to fight for their freedom from Japan, were treated as Japanese subjects; Indians were considered British subjects. But these groups were not as large as the Chinese, and thus not as threatening. Still, stereotypes spread fast. Of thirty-nine immigrant groups, Indians were, according to the 1911 United States Immigration Commission, “the least desirable race of immigrants.” The editor of the Bellingham Reveille, in Washington, described Hindus as “repulsive in appearance and disgusting in their manners,” and, in 1907, the entire South Asian population was forced out of Bellingham in a single night with cries of “Drive out the Hindus.” (Bellingham, a lumber-mill town, had a long history of receiving—and then expelling—poor Asian laborers.) In another famous episode, when the Komagata Maru, a ship from Hong Kong, tried to dock in Vancouver, British Columbia, to challenge the racist 1908 Continuous Journey Regulation law—which held that Asians could only emigrate to Canada if they made a near-impossible non-stop voyage from the country of their citizenship—it was sent back to Calcutta. The people onboard were jailed by the British, and twenty-six were shot dead as they resisted arrest.

---

There are now, in a sense, two Asian Americas: one formed by five centuries of systemic racism, and another, more genteel version, constituted in the aftermath of the 1965 law. These two Asian Americas float over and under each other like tectonic plates, often clanging discordantly. So, while Chinese-Americans and Indian-Americans are among the most prosperous groups in the country, Korean-Americans, Vietnamese-Americans, and Filipino-Americans have lower median personal earnings than the general population. Over-all Chinese-American prosperity obscures the higher-than-average poverty rate for Chinese-Americans. In 2000, Asian-Americans were more likely to have college degrees than other adults in America, but also five times as likely as whites to have fewer than four years of education. More damningly, the reputations of Asian-American groups, just as in the past, can turn on a dime, with national or international events triggering sudden reversals. After 9/11, for example, the I.N.S.’s National Security Entry-Exit Registration System required the fingerprinting and registering of immigrants from twenty-five nations, twenty-four of which were Arab and Muslim. (Portions of the program were discontinued in 2011.) Hate crimes spread to encompass groups such as Sikh-Americans, with a mass shooting at a temple in Wisconsin as recently as 2012. In February, when a middle-aged white man in North Carolina shot three Muslim college students dead over what the police claimed was “an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking,” the father of one of the victims pointed out, “I am sure my daughter felt hated, and she said, literally, ‘Daddy, I think it is because of the way we look and the way we dress.’ ”

Lot more at the link. Give it a read.

massoluk

Banned
Asian stereotypes are bloody amusing sometime as well as frustrating.

Not all of us are 4.0 GPA smart dude, I'm your average fucking salary man Joe.

Growing up in SoCal it's crazy to learn that Korean-Americans are considered part of that alongside Vietnamese and Filipinos. I feel like every Korean kid in my high school got into Berkeley or UCLA. I remember one of my friends taking the SAT II Korean Subject test and getting a perfect score, which I thought was great until he told me that literally 35% of people who take it ace it.

ReAxion

Lee describes life and labor in these communities well, explaining, for instance, why Chinese immigrants got into the laundry business during the Gold Rush. (At the time, it was cheaper for someone living in San Francisco to have clothes washed in Honolulu than to get them laundered in the city. Chinese immigrants seized the opportunity that provided.)

They were also basically denied business licenses to do almost anything else. Article went soft on that bit.

rpmurphy

Asian stereotypes are bloody amusing sometime as well as frustrating.

Not all of us are 4.0 GPA smart dude, I'm your average fucking salary man Joe.
It's like you wouldn't judge the prosperity of a city solely by its wealthy suburbs.

I think a lot of newcomers don't know the history of racism against Asian residents, so it's good to expose it to them.

ryseing

Was reading this thinking to myself "that awful stuff is in the past" and then was reminded about the shooting in March that happened to fellow students from my school.

State as a whole has a preponderance of Asian students thanks to our engineering program, and I'd be lying if I said casual rascism towards them didn't exist. And then of course you have people like the shooter who turn their hate into violence.

Excellent article OP. Thanks.

Draxal

Growing up in SoCal it's crazy to learn that Korean-Americans are considered part of that alongside Vietnamese and Filipinos. I feel like every Korean kid in my high school got into Berkeley or UCLA. I remember one of my friends taking the SAT II Korean Subject test and getting a perfect score, which I thought was great until he told me that literally 35% of people who take it ace it.

Generally, alot of the rich koreans tend to stay in Korea, while the poorer ones are the ones that emigrate.

El Sloth

Banned
They were also basically denied business licenses to do almost anything else. Article went soft on that bit.
Interesting. Maybe it's mentioned in the book (Erika Lee’s “The Making of Asian America”) and he just chose not to include that bit for some reason?

Walpurgis

Banned
In 1871, in the largest mass lynching in American history, seventeen Chinese men were murdered by a mob of five hundred, in Los Angeles.
Of thirty-nine immigrant groups, Indians were, according to the 1911 United States Immigration Commission, “the least desirable race of immigrants.” The editor of the Bellingham Reveille, in Washington, described Hindus as “repulsive in appearance and disgusting in their manners,” and, in 1907, the entire South Asian population was forced out of Bellingham in a single night with cries of “Drive out the Hindus.”
In another famous episode, when the Komagata Maru, a ship from Hong Kong, tried to dock in Vancouver, British Columbia, to challenge the racist 1908 Continuous Journey Regulation law—which held that Asians could only emigrate to Canada if they made a near-impossible non-stop voyage from the country of their citizenship—it was sent back to Calcutta. The people onboard were jailed by the British, and twenty-six were shot dead as they resisted arrest.
This is insane. I didn't know about any of this. Why isn't this taught in school? This is very significant. 15% of the population in my country is Asian and they don't teach this? Wtf? The CPR and WWII internment camps are not enough.

Thank you for sharing OP.

Meh.

Asian Americans are still not accepted as Americans.

I repeat this a lot, even in these forums, but one of the racist stereotypes that is really hurting Asian Americans is still the idea that we're a bunch of second class citizens.

We're punishhed when we speak out. If we are outspoken, if we argue, if we talk back- we're viewed negatively for "not knowing our place." Any Asian American that knows our history understands how this mentality by other people started way back when we first started immigrating here. The attitude has ALWAYS been mistrust and dislike.

The only reason Asian Americans are allowed to have the dubious honor of "model minority" is because white America wants us to lick their boots and know our place. Shut up, work hard for them, and be grateful for... I don't even know.

Do you have any personal examples of this? I'm not trying to be contradictory, I'm just generally curious. I have one fairly close Asian friend but I don't recall him ever complaining about any particular discriminatory behavior that he's had directed toward himself. I always thought Asians were generally treated much better these days than other minorities here.

mr2xxx

Banned
This is insane. I didn't know about any of this. Why isn't this taught in school? This is very significant. 15% of the population in my country is Asian and they don't teach this? Wtf? The CPR and WWII internment camps are not enough.

imrs.php

Because people in power try to whitewash the atrocities America has committed.

Meh.

Asian Americans are still not accepted as Americans.

I repeat this a lot, even in these forums, but one of the racist stereotypes that is really hurting Asian Americans is still the idea that we're a bunch of second class citizens.

We're punishhed when we speak out. If we are outspoken, if we argue, if we talk back- we're viewed negatively for "not knowing our place." Any Asian American that knows our history understands how this mentality by other people started way back when we first started immigrating here. The attitude has ALWAYS been mistrust and dislike.

The only reason Asian Americans are allowed to have the dubious honor of "model minority" is because white America wants us to lick their boots and know our place. Shut up, work hard for them, and be grateful for... I don't even know.

I would argue that this is more a result of most Asian Americans' insularity and a predisposition to hang out in cliques with other Asian Americans. The tendency to view Asian Americans as "others" tend to result from this inclination. When talking to other races about this issue, I don't get a feeling of hostility towards Asian Americans so much as "they always hang out with each other and I don't think they want to hang out with me." For this reason, the discrimination that Asian Americans face, at least from my observations, tend to be more subtle and milder than those that African Americans deal with.

Walpurgis

Banned
Do you have any personal examples of this? I'm not trying to be contradictory, I'm just generally curious. I have one fairly close Asian friend but I don't recall him ever complaining about any particular discriminatory behavior that he's had directed toward himself. I always thought Asians were generally treated much better these days than other minorities here.
I think it looks that way because they are the "model minority" but there are still many negatives associated with that. For example, taking away or reducing a person's credit because they are Asian. "Oh, they're supposed to be good at math!" And suddenly downplaying the importance of math skills. "We admit balanced children to our schools." The white man doesn't like it when people are better at something than he is.

I have no personal experiences with this.
imrs.php

Because people in power try to whitewash the atrocities America has committed.

Ugh.

OceanBlue

I have relatives who have told me that they've been told to, "Go back to your country." They work in pharmacy though.

There are also statistics that indicate bias against Asians in management positions. I don't have them on me though since I'm on my phone.

I personally don't think I've experienced anything as harmful as racial discrimination against Hispanics and black people. That said I'm inclined to readily believe people's stories of being other'ed.

Valhelm

contribute something

Are you American? The US is roughly 6% Asian, not 15%.

ReAxion

Interesting. Maybe it's mentioned in the book (Erika Lee’s “The Making of Asian America”) and he just chose not to include that bit for some reason?

I'd bet it's in there. Either this guy didn't read closely enough, or he didn't wanna get into the legal bits until later in the article. It would've been kind of a clunk in the article to mention it off hand and circle back, but as it is, it's like "oh hey, fun fact: this." But now it reads like they did that out of their own ingenuity rather than being told that's all they were good for.

orochi91

I learned about the Komagata Maru incident in highschool, here in Southern Ontario.

It is pretty shocking how despicable past generations of Canadians were.

Are you American? The US is roughly 6% Asian, not 15%.

Canada.

Asian population is massive and continues to grow.

SRG01

The thing about Asian-American/Canadian populations is that the privilege that well-off families enjoy -- influence, money, and so on -- only apply towards Asian or Asian-inclusive communities. For example, rich AC families have plenty of power within certain parts of Vancouver but that power is restricted to those parts of the city while they're simultaneously being viewed with suspicion or skepticism from the outside.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It's taught more in areas with larger asian populations. I remember learning about this stuff in high school 20 years ago, but then again we have a pretty large asian population here in this part of the SF Bay Area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Filipino_sentiment

Racial discrimination towards Filipinos in America was evident during the American colonial period in the Philippines. Filipinos were often labelled as half-civilized or half-savage, worthless, uneducated and unscrupulous. Filipinos were perceived to be taking the jobs of the Caucasian Americans. They were accused of attracting Caucasian women which led to the passing of an Anti-miscegenation law. Crime and violence was likely to be associated with Filipinos and they were shunned for their substandard living conditions, where in one instance there were as many as twenty people sleeping in one room. These were just racial prejudices and Filipinos in America were affected by various socio-economic factors. The majority of Filipinos were men with a gender ratio with Filipino males to females in California of approximately 14 to 1. Filipino workers were forced to live in poor conditions since they were poorly waged.

I remember back in high school during an Asian-American heritage assembly, a professor was giving a presentation covering the above. Someone yelled "why everyone think brown and black dudes gonna steal the white girls?!"

The subject also comes up in various courses at the university level here in California. For example:

http://www.csus.edu/aas/sobredo/Fili...in_SF_Bay.html

San Francisco played a crucial role in the history of Filipino Americans. It was from this city that US troops were recruited, organized, garrisoned and trained for fighting a war in the Philippines. At first it was a "Spanish-American War" in 1898. Then the Spaniards surrendered, and a peace treaty signed in Paris gave the US sovereignty over the Philippines. This was completely unacceptable, to say the least, to General Emilio Aguinaldo and the Filipinos who had been fighting a war of independence against the Spaniards since 1896. By the following year in 1899, fighting broke out between Filipino and American troops, and this started the "Philippine-American War," a well-known war to Filipinos but nearly forgotten in the annals of American history.

It was a war in which the racist ideology of social darwinism played a crucial role. American troops who were fighting in the war frequently called Filipinos "brainless monkeys," "niggers," and "injuns." Many of the troops thought they were fighting another "injun war." African Americans also fought in the war as part of the US forces, and some blacks were so incensed by the racism directed against Filipinos that they joined the Filipino rebels and fought against US imperialism. The most famous black soldier who joined the Filipino rebels was David Fagan, of the US 24th Infantry, who eventually became an officer in the Philippine Revolutionary Army.

guek

Banned

People don't give a shit. The WW2 internment camps are also barely a cliffnote in history classes.

I've literally had someone tell me my encounters with racism in America aren't a big deal because I'm Asian and not black.

People don't give a shit. The WW2 internment camps are also barely a cliffnote in history classes.

I've literally had someone tell me my encounters with racism in America aren't a big deal because I'm Asian and not black.
Yeah, that's the biggest problem. We face far less overt and dangerous forms of discrimination than blacks do, for sure, which is why prejudice against Asians gets written off as non-existent.

entremet

I remember learning about Chinese railroad workers--treated like subhumans basically--and the internments of WWII pretty vividly in school.

I would argue that this is more a result of most Asian Americans' insularity and a predisposition to hang out in cliques with other Asian Americans. The tendency to view Asian Americans as "others" tend to result from this inclination. When talking to other races about this issue, I don't get a feeling of hostility towards Asian Americans so much as "they always hang out with each other and I don't think they want to hang out with me." For this reason, the discrimination that Asian Americans face, at least from my observations, tend to be more subtle and milder than those that African Americans deal with.

I wouldn't.. Not every Asian American lives near a cultural enclave. That and Asian Americans aren't one homogenous group. It's a very heterogenous population.

Kangi

There's this narrative that racism against Asian-Americans has never existed in the U.S. It's why stereotypes are just good fun and not harmful, why the lack of representation in media is their own fault, and why incidents of discrimination are instantly dismissed. You can't be racist against a "model minority", silly!

I enjoyed George Takei's Daily Show interview about the subject of internment camps and the time his family spent there. Too many people don't know about what was going on in their own country around that time.

Walpurgis

Banned
I have relatives who have told me that they've been told to, "Go back to your country." They work in pharmacy though.

There are also statistics that indicate bias against Asians in management positions. I don't have them on me though since I'm on my phone.

I personally don't think I've experienced anything as harmful as racial discrimination against Hispanics and black people. That said I'm inclined to readily believe people's stories of being other'ed.

It's taught more in areas with larger asian populations. I remember learning about this stuff in high school 20 years ago, but then again we have a pretty large asian population here in this part of the SF Bay Area.

I remember back in high school during an Asian-American heritage assembly, a professor was giving a presentation covering the above. Someone yelled "why everyone think brown and black dudes gonna steal the white girls?!"

The subject also comes up in various courses at the university level here in California. For example:

Wow at that American-Philippines war. I've never heard of that. That seems at least a little bit important enough to cover in high school. Was it mentioned at all?

And good on that African American guy. That part was awesome.

edit: Just noticed you said it's covered at the university level. I don't know how I feel about that. Unless America has been in 500 wars in Asia, a war all the way in the freaking Philippines still seems like something that should be covered in high school.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
edit: Just noticed you said it's covered at the university level. I don't know how I feel about that. Unless America has been in 500 wars in Asia, a war all the way in the freaking Philippines still seems like something that should be covered in high school.

Yeah, the high school level is more inconsistent even in the areas with heavier asian populations, and more often than not covered as part of assemblies/presentations/extracurricular rather than core coursework.

Wow at that American-Philippines war. I've never heard of that. That seems at least a little bit important enough to cover in high school. Was it mentioned at all?

And good on that African American guy. That part was awesome.

I only had one teacher before college give anything beyond a passing mention to the occupation of the Philippines

Fuchsdh

I only had one teacher before college give anything beyond a passing mention to the occupation of the Philippines

Because, it really doesn't factor that much into US history at all, except insofar as describing American imperialism at the turn of the century. Obviously, if you live in the Philippines you've got a much different lens.

Your conclusion is correct, but your reasoning is ass backwards. It's like saying Asians brought discrimination upon themselves, which is never the case when it comes to racism.

Man what is with racists and thinking everyone is taking their women. Fuck.

If thirty-nine immigrant groups, Indians were, according to the 1911 United States Immigration Commission, “the least desirable race of immigrants.” The editor of the Bellingham Reveille, in Washington, described Hindus as “repulsive in appearance and disgusting in their manners,” and, in 1907, the entire South Asian population was forced out of Bellingham in a single night with cries of “Drive out the Hindus.”
I can't tell whether this is making me sick or if it was the lunch I ate.

woodchuck

I learned about the anti-Chinese sentiment and the WWII camps for Japanese immigrants. But I had no idea there was such racism against Indians back then.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Here in Vancouver there is a long history of discrimination against Asian-Canadians. If you go down to Steveston there are a bunch of places where you can learn about what Asian-Canadians went through. Steveston has a large Japanese-Canadian community that got fucked over by the government and sent to internment camps during WW2. There's this film called Obachan's Garden that talks about a family that went through this. A lot of Chinese-Canadians were also brought over from China to work in canneries and such for barely any pay, and of course a lot of them lost their jobs when white people started replacing them with machines (one of which was literally called the "Iron Chink").

Renekton

It's not restricted to America. Anti-Asian (anti-Chinese for me) sentiment is everywhere. From institutionalized discrimination at home, to getting kicked out of Belgium restaurants.

KC Denton

I'm missing something. Is the term 'The African Slave Trade" an offensive way to describe what happened? Is it because the term doesn't mention America or Europe?
It's the part where they describe the slaves as "workers" instead of slaves that is the problem.

Also how they are described as being "brought over." That is an extremely generous way to describe the torture slaves went through being kidnapped into the States.

Jintor

I'm missing something. Is the term 'The African Slave Trade" an offensive way to describe what happened? Is it because the term doesn't mention America or Europe?

the description says 'workers' instead of slaves. admittedly it also says slave trade in the title, so it could just be cottonballing the kids instead of whitewashing them, but still

lupinko

I learned about the Komagata Maru in school.

I don't know what you're being taught.

I'd argue that unless you're going getting into Honors/AP level classes in high school, you don't learn about any of the bad shit that went on in this country except the African Slave Trade and the Trail of Tears. And even those don't get covered with much depth.

Where did you go to school?

Depending on the location, budget, and cultural makeup of school districts the curricula will vary wildly, especially if any subject that could be seen as sensitive or controversial is involved.

ED: Talking about the US

akira28

the description says 'workers' instead of slaves. admittedly it also says slave trade in the title, so it could just be cottonballing the kids instead of whitewashing them, but still

They only call it slave trade in the title because they can't call it the Atlantic Triangular Trade anymore. IF they could omit the word slavery entirely, they would. They have tried in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom