• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker - The Two Asian Americas

Status
Not open for further replies.
imrs.php

Because people in power try to whitewash the atrocities America has committed.

I mean, ALL cultures do this. Didn't the Japanese like JUST threaten to pull all UNESCO support for their acknowledgment of the Rape of Nanking? Also, racism is alive and well in modern Asia.

Not saying it justifies what the US does with its international image, but it's not exactly a uniquely American thing. This is just something humans do.

Slayven

Sometimes I feel being blunt and honest rarely works either, that also requires people to be enlightened.

lets be honest to some(alot) white people there is never a right time or approach to talking about racism, so why not just go knee deep?

We know conservatives been like that but 2015 have been the year of liberals and allies showing their asses on the subject

Llyranor

Never seen it.
Yeah, me neither. I don't see color. Besides, other minorities have it harder. Asians should just shut up about how they're persecuted all the time. It's just a little bit of diet discrimination - deal with it. Outrage culture is out of control. Also, whenever we have a China thread and we generalize an entire country of billions as being backwards/uncivilized, we're criticizing the culture and not Chinese people. You don't see accusations of racism when people are bashing America, am I right? But anyway, I'm not a racist, some of my best threads are Asian.

At the end of the day, Asian-Americans would fit in better if they didn't self-segregate (doesn't that make THEM the racists, anyway?), and maybe if they weren't so ethnic.

Africanus

Never seen it.

I wouldn't say there is a Gaf anti-Asian sentiment as a whole persay. But there is a certain tone in certain threads regarding Asia (Eastern Asia in particular because of the two giants China and Japan, Western Asia tends to lean into more religious based discussion and attacks) that can become unsettling. Not to mention the casual racism at times, and the dismissal of those who live in those countries opinions on news.

I feel ashamed I have never heard of the Komagata Maru incident, although I find the article subject manner interesting.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah I didn't know a lot of the California stuff until I saw that documentary series The West back in the mid 90s.

Yeah, historically it's primarily been on the west coast given that's where a lot of the immigrants ended up. The only real mention you ever see about something relating to it aside from the WW2 related stuff is if anyone goes into the issues Bruce Lee ran into in the 60s-70s.

http://www.americanpopularculture.com/archive/film/lee.htm

SRG01

Yeah, historically it's primarily been on the west coast given that's where a lot of the immigrants ended up. The only real mention you ever see about something relating to it aside from the WW2 related stuff is if anyone goes into the issues Bruce Lee ran into in the 60s-70s.

http://www.americanpopularculture.com/archive/film/lee.htm

Speaking of Bruce Lee, the documentary Slanted Screen has some pretty good insight into Asian Men and Hollywood: http://www.slantedscreen.com/ I've mentioned this documentary multiple times in other Asian threads, and I'd definitely say that it's a must-watch for anyone that wants to understand Asian-American discrimination.

It's on Netflix and only takes around an hour to watch.

Walpurgis

Banned
I stand in solidarity with the Asian races to destroy white supremacy.

Did not have a lot of Asians in my hometown growing up but people would openly mock them. It's still pretty much accepted to mock Asian people. Living in Chinatown there is always some random jackass every now and then yelling faux Chinese gibberish just to start shit with people.
Now that I think about it, I had a white guy that did the exact same thing in middle school (Winnipeg). His friend got mad at me and called me a nigger. He apologised on his behalf and got him to apologise as well (I never asked for this and it was weird). He was like "I'm not racist, except for Asians. I fucking hate those guys!". He was an alright guy otherwise but that was....something.
Never seen it.
As others have said, every single China thread.
I wouldn't say there is a Gaf anti-Asian sentiment as a whole persay. But there is a certain tone in certain threads regarding Asia (Eastern Asia in particular because of the two giants China and Japan, Western Asia tends to lean into more religious based discussion and attacks) that can become unsettling. Not to mention the casual racism at times, and the dismissal of those who live in those countries opinions on news.

I feel ashamed I have never heard of the Komagata Maru incident, although I find the article subject manner interesting.
Yup. Western Asian threads, especially are a nightmare with all the fedora tipping. Eastern Asian threads are also full of casual racism.

I don't think that's what bunny's trying to say...she's just saying it's a subject she doesn't bring up with her particular friends, not all whites in general. Does not wanting to discuss various racism issues you experience on a regular basis with someone outside your ethnicity necessarily make that person racist?

Some of my friends, regardless of ethnicity or background, I'd feel comfortable discussing certain issues perfectly fine. Others, it's not something I would necessarily bring up. That goes for all topics - not just matters of race but politics, gender issues, religion, etc. Naturally, some topics are easier to discuss with others if they've shared similar life experiences. Others are, again naturally, harder to discuss if someone has no shared experiences.

Yup. I've always been comfortable talking about racism and stuff with all my immigrant friends because they experienced a lot of the same things I did. When I tried to discuss some of these issues with one of my white ex-girlfriends, while she was sympathetic and supportive, she never "got it". So we rarely ever discussed it.

Meh.

Asian Americans are still not accepted as Americans.

I repeat this a lot, even in these forums, but one of the racist stereotypes that is really hurting Asian Americans is still the idea that we're a bunch of second class citizens.

We're punishhed when we speak out. If we are outspoken, if we argue, if we talk back- we're viewed negatively for "not knowing our place." Any Asian American that knows our history understands how this mentality by other people started way back when we first started immigrating here. The attitude has ALWAYS been mistrust and dislike.

The only reason Asian Americans are allowed to have the dubious honor of "model minority" is because white America wants us to lick their boots and know our place. Shut up, work hard for them, and be grateful for... I don't even know.

boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom