• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Nice! Is it worth upgrading from the rgb-mod? Any good comparison videos out there?

I don't have one but I have a pretty good understanding of the project.

If you plan on playing on a modern TV/monitor then its by far the best option. This will give you the best picture and input delay over any scaler.

If you plan on playing on a crt the rgb mod is the best option.

TSM

I heard there was some lag with the HDMI mod, does that annoy you, or is it exaggerated?

MarshallH claims all processing is done in 1 frame of lag or 16.6 ms. If that's the only lag then it should be nearly imperceptible to most people. Adding 1 frame onto a display that's already adding multiple frames would definitely not help much. You can enable a direct output over HDMI which virtually eliminates all lag, but you can't use the deblur feature at the same time.

Nice! Is it worth upgrading from the rgb-mod? Any good comparison videos out there?

This mod is the only way to bypass the AA the N64 uses by default. You can reach a level of clarity that is impossible to achieve via any other method. If you are running an a digital display this mod also has the retro mode which is considered to be of very high quality. The best of both worlds on an HDTV basically.

TSM

seeing hard pixels in N64 games really is surreal.

I prefer it, but damn some N64 games really are just hideous no matter what you do.

If you go the deblur with sharp pixels route then you will see an insane amount of dithering. It's inherent in the way the console renders the games. It wasn't as obnoxious before because we never could get a good look at what the console rendered before this mod.

That sucks.

It's because the console is still using it's terrible AA and the mod actually processes the blurred image to reverse the damage. The result is the same as if it never happened. The downside is that any processing delays your video output by one frame.

The deblur feature would be awesome and I'm keen as to get one after my holidays. Does the n64 output full 1080 (obviously not the game's internal res but just the display)?

If you go the deblur with sharp pixels route then you will see an insane amount of dithering. It's inherent in the way the console renders the games. It wasn't as obnoxious before because we never could get a good look at what the console rendered before this mod.
Dithering doesn't really bother me, honestly. Some games are worse than others, but for the most part it's whatever.

IrishNinja

seeing hard pixels in N64 games really is surreal.

I prefer it, but damn some N64 games really are just hideous no matter what you do.

haha yeah, even that my life in gaming vid stopped just shy of saying you're doing what you can to make it less ugly for some games

MarshallH claims all processing is done in 1 frame of lag or 16.6 ms. If that's the only lag then it should be nearly imperceptible to most people.

paging 645

You can enable a direct output over HDMI which virtually eliminates all lag, but you can't use the deblur feature at the same time.

kinda figured it'd be a tradeoff like that...honestly, looking at what i mostly play on N64, i think that'd be fine..much of the draw for me is that deblur/killing the bad AA. granted, games like F-Zero X, Sin & Punishment, Smash etc that require more timing, i'd be all over that direct output mode.

I've got a Nintendo 64 getting shipped to me right now, coming with a couple of original controllers. If The sticks are too loose, what are the best cost-effective options for fixing up the sticks? Do those replacement kits that make it more like a game cube stick actually work?

Edit: Timu you're in this thread too? Cool. Howdy from the snes collectors thread. SNES fun now got me into N64...

D.Lo

I think the bleed between retro system appreciation threads is pretty high with gaffers: subscribe to one, subscribe TO ALL.
Yep, it just goes in phases. I haven't played or bought any N64 for a while. Need to get back in and finish Indiana Jones actually!

I thiiiink the Nintendo ones might have a few that only frequent that brand, but by-and-large it's the same set of posters in here, the SNES thread, the NES thread, the Genesis thread, the Saturn thread...

These threads are a blessing and a curse. Several games/consoles I never would have picked up without hanging on these boards. Once you start collecting for one console, it's easy jump to another.

Timu

I think the bleed between retro system appreciation threads is pretty high with gaffers: subscribe to one, subscribe TO ALL.
This as well.

Yep, it just goes in phases. I haven't played or bought any N64 for a while. Need to get back in and finish Indiana Jones actually!
I'll be collecting N64 games again next month.

I thiiiink the Nintendo ones might have a few that only frequent that brand, but by-and-large it's the same set of posters in here, the SNES thread, the NES thread, the Genesis thread, the Saturn thread...
I visit those the most.

These threads are a blessing and a curse. Several games/consoles I never would have picked up without hanging on these boards. Once you start collecting for one console, it's easy jump to another.
Yep, so true, lol. Glad these threads are made though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
How many rotate into PC engine and Master System though?

I frequent all the threads except PC Engine and Neo Geo as I simply can not afford to start collecting for them. I have the subscriptions on them as well though :)

Probably post most in Nes/Snes.

D.Lo

N64 is such a fun console. It's so unique, as the only non-CD primary 3D console (until recent handhelds), it has games that mix parts of the old and new paradigms. And so much experimentation (of which some worked and some didn't but at least there was variety) - it was the Famicom of the early 3D era.

How many rotate into PC engine and Master System though?
Yeah, US-centric board, plus retro threads being a mix of general retro game fans and those on a nostalgia trip for their childhood games means those consoles get less traffic.

PCE is a borderline Japan-only machine, and Master System I'd led to believe basically bombed hard in the US. MS thread is some Australian and EU nostalgia people (since it won or held its own in both) plus a few rusted-on Sega fans.

Then you have the next-level types who put the likes of me to shame with their CPS3s and Superguns etc.

N64 is such a fun console. It's so unique, as the only non-CD primary 3D console (until recent handhelds), it has games that mix parts of the old and new paradigms. And so much experimentation (of which some worked and some didn't but at least there was variety) - it was the Famicom of the early 3D era.

Yeah, US-centric board, plus retro threads being a mix of general retro game fans and those on a nostalgia trip for their childhood games means those consoles get less traffic.

PCE is a borderline Japan-only machine, and Master System I'd led to believe basically bombed hard in the US. MS thread is some Australian and EU nostalgia people (since it won or held its own in both) plus a few rusted-on Sega fans.

Then you have the next-level types who put the likes of me to shame with their CPS3s and Superguns etc.

It's interesting isn't it? 20 years later the n64s legacy is one that points to the huge importance of experimentation before monetization, and gave us great perspective on the importance of seamless 3D environments to the user experience. PS1 was a reliable mainstream auto, while N64 was an electric roadster :)

N64 still felt like Nintendo was in charge, and wanted to innovate, whereas GameCube (and its silly proprietary format) just felt like a poor mans PS2/Xbox. What a missed opportunity for a "Nintendo 128".

N64 still felt like Nintendo was in charge, and wanted to innovate, whereas GameCube (and its silly proprietary format) just felt like a poor mans PS2/Xbox. What a missed opportunity for a "Nintendo 128".

I thought the same until I found out they were using carts. Great for load times, but sucks for everything else. Always wondered what Killer Instinct would have been if it was CD based.

Yea, I read up and subscribe to most of them. The few systems that I feel I'm behind on are only because I'm focused on some of the other retro systems. Mostly I collect for Nintendo and Sony but I owned a TG-16 when I was younger and still want to pick another one up at some point along with some Sega systems.

Unfortunately with prices and the fact that I'm collecting for both retro and modern systems some systems have to wait for now. I still try to keep up with them though.

I thought the same until I found out they were using carts. Great for load times, but sucks for everything else. Always wondered what Killer Instinct would have been if it was CD based.

Good point. And it's not like the technology was new to them, having tested the super Nintendo CD ROM system, obviously unreleased.

Carts were a total money grab for licensing on their part. That said, RAM was insanely expensive back then, and double-speed CD drives were painfully slow. Lucky for Sony their amazing engineers were able to overcome CDs many limitations.

Imagine N64 controller + PS1 CD technology.

RoadDogg

Thinking of picking up an Everdrive 64. Any particular Japanese, homebrew, or romhack games worth playing using it?

Thinking of doing the same. Anyone know if there is a way to back up my cart saves to it?
I'm also curious if it can replace the need for a memory pak and save to the SD card for those games that require one?

Thinking of picking up an Everdrive 64. Any particular Japanese, homebrew, or romhack games worth playing using it?

There is quite a bit of japan only and romhacks worth playing. There is a " complete everdrive 64 SD card setup pack" that includes a ton of them. I've been having fun with them.

Thinking of doing the same. Anyone know if there is a way to back up my cart saves to it?
I'm also curious if it can replace the need for a memory pak and save to the SD card for those games that require one?

I recent got the v3 everdrive.

It does not function as a memory card.

I'm not sure about backing up your own saves but its possible to, for example, download a save of ssb with everything unlocked and copy it to the SD card.

RoadDogg

There is quite a bit of japan only and romhacks worth playing. There is a " complete everdrive 64 SD card setup pack" that includes a ton of them. I've been having fun with them.

I recent got the v3 everdrive.

It does not function as a memory card.

I'm not sure about backing up your own saves but its possible to, for example, download a save of ssb with everything unlocked and copy it to the SD card.

It is looking like I would need to use a Gameshark to move the cart save to a memory card, and then find a dex drive and PC old enough to work with it. Not worth the effort/cost.

I got a few new games that arrived from UPS today. Some wear on the boxes (especially Star Wars Episode 1 Racer), but they were all complete including the inserts and extras. I'm happy overall for $60 total.

SsHXlhv.jpg

I'm also not sure if I've ever posted a pic of my N64 collection so thought I'd post it as well. I love looking at what others have so hopefully I'm not alone.

5pb5UhE.jpg

I also have some loose carts and a couple of consoles, including a complete Jungle Green one that I don't have pictured.

Teknoman

Is Quest 64 really that bad? I remember...sorta liking it? But everyone says its bad now lol.

EDIT: I know i need to pick up Killer Instinct Gold and Blast Corps at some point. Perfect Dark too.

Timu

Is Quest 64 really that bad? I remember...sorta liking it? But everyone says its bad now lol.

EDIT: I know i need to pick up Killer Instinct Gold and Blast Corps at some point. Perfect Dark too.
Quest 64 has problems but it's not the worst I played.

Also, get those 3 N64 games, they're awesome.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Quest 64 is one of my favorite N64 games. I enjoyed it for what it was. Having said that, the stupid "save point in the last area of no return" was dumb and really soured me.

Peltz

I got a few new games that arrived from UPS today. Some wear on the boxes (especially Star Wars Episode 1 Racer), but they were all complete including the inserts and extras. I'm happy overall for $60 total.

SsHXlhv.jpg

I'm also not sure if I've ever posted a pic of my N64 collection so thought I'd post it as well. I love looking at what others have so hopefully I'm not alone.

5pb5UhE.jpg

I also have some loose carts and a couple of consoles, including a complete Jungle Green one that I don't have pictured.
N64 boxes are so rad. You have 4 different colors on the "spines" to choose from when displaying them. Personally, I display the red side.

Teknoman

I guess it beats salvaging crappy titles for their back covers, and replace the JP backs with em. Of course the only JP game I own is Sin & Punishment, not sure of that many more worth owning except the rumble versions of Mario 64, Wave Race, and Rakuga Kids. Maybe that Bomberman thats straight up 2D. Unless anyone wants to shed some light on some more :p

It's pretty crappy, yea. Got it when it came out, was super psyched for an RPG on my N64 and boy, what a letdown.

Well, i'll side step that then.

Good news! All of these games are fantastic and still really cheap.

Cool, all i've got from Perfect Dark is a couple rentals from Blockbuster back in the day. I had Blast Corps, early on...was fun but I had no real idea what to do then. Oh and Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth.

N64 boxes are so rad. You have 4 different colors on the "spines" to choose from when displaying them. Personally, I display the red side.

Yea, really cool how people can have the same exact games and they look so different because of the colors. It always drives me crazy to see the few games that don't match like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer and Majoras Mask.

J64 Region Mod Kickstarter

You guys see this? It's a replacement cartridge tray that will allow Japanese games on NA systems. Looks super easy to install. Just backed it, though it has quite a way to go.
Decent idea, but you can just remove the original one, or take out the original and drill out those corners... I removed mine, and will get those corners drilled out eventually.

Still, I would pick this over an adapter like the one linked later, since this looks just like the real thing, carts won't stick up more and such.

Top Bottom