• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

tumblr_o1gbgpY9WE1t2jra3o1_540.png

D.Lo

Thought this was interesting for those looking to play imports:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/windygaming/j64-a-region-mod-for-ntsc-n64-consoles

Sounds like it will play US games on a JPN 64 too which is great for me.
It's completely pointless though? You can achieve the same result with a knife and two minutes of cutting. And the bizzare scare about 'exposed motherboard' lol. One of mine has been 'modded' since 1997 lol.

If people really want a manufactured version, I'm sure someone has created a model that can be 3D printed.

reggie186

It's completely pointless though? You can achieve the same result with a knife and two minutes of cutting. And the bizzare scare about 'exposed motherboard' lol. One of mine has been 'modded' since 1997 lol.

If people really want a manufactured version, I'm sure someone has created a model that can be 3D printed.

The point is a mod that doesn't require cutting anything out of your cartridge tray to play Japanese N64 games. It's not the most fiscally responsible mod, but it has a point.

Teknoman

Or you can just switch that back off NFL Quarterback Club 97.

eBay veterans can you comment on this: bought an n64 bundle from Japan, with 2 controllers, AC adapter, rumble, game.

Well it arrived today...the console only that is.

Is it normal for JP shippers to separate out shipments into multiples?

eBay veterans can you comment on this: bought an n64 bundle from Japan, with 2 controllers, AC adapter, rumble, game.

that doesn't sound right to me. I'd contact the seller asap.

that doesn't sound right to me. I'd contact the seller asap.

Thanks, yep, did so!

What's happened is he's trying to send by "small packet" in multiple boxes to save himself some money vs putting it all in one bigger, heavier box and being forced to use "international parcel post". Japan's postal calculator shows total cost of 1200 yen for two small packages vs putting it all in one big package for a flat rate of 2700 yen.

Just wish he'd have said so in advance!

D.Lo

Yes I've had that happen, sometimes it's cheaper in Japan Post to do small packets.

Aaand I see you have that covered.

Yes I've had that happen, sometimes it's cheaper in Japan Post to do small packets.

Aaand I see you have that covered.

Lol oh yes. Japanese sellers are SO polite and quick in eBay messaging.

Eager to try sin and punishment (the VC versions controllers were too annoying)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
About that Sin & Punishment, I just removed the tabs on my N64 for some region-free awesomness:

The console is actually RGB-modded, but I dont have the RGB-cable yet which is the reason for the messy composite picture.

As a general comment, N64 svideo is very good. Indistinguishable from RGB frequently unless you're deliberately looking for the difference. Just in case anyone was looking for a way to upgrade their iq

Timu

As a general comment, N64 svideo is very good. Indistinguishable from RGB frequently unless you're deliberately looking for the difference. Just in case anyone was looking for a way to upgrade their iq
I'm going to try to get some svideo screenshots someday.

SKINNER!

Banned

yup. Definitely. Got my svideo cable a couple of weeks back. Tried it on a CRT and a HDTV. Looked incredible on both. Worth every penny.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Im sure S-video is fine, but when I can use RGB, I am going to :)

Timu

Sync issue perhaps?
I hope not.

Have you tried to clean the cart slot yet? Make sure all of the pins in the cart slot are lined up as well.
I'll try that now, though I can imagine this one failing like my other N64(which turns on but never shows a picture anymore).

EDIT: Turns out the upscaler was doing that...strange as it works on my Saturn. Oh well, I guess I should go the RGB route for better quality and easier recording.

I've got a Nintendo 64 getting shipped to me right now, coming with a couple of original controllers. If The sticks are too loose, what are the best cost-effective options for fixing up the sticks? Do those replacement kits that make it more like a game cube stick actually work?

Putting in a good word for a replacement stick from video game museum from eBay. Bought a couple of sticks to replace some original "grindy" but tight originals. What a difference! Can "tiptoe" with Mario. Super happy with these sticks. Was around $10/stick.

I second this. S-video on an older model 26 inch LCD. Looks great, thought I have to put the sharpness setting at like 75%.

Lynd7

Replaying Starfox 64, its kinda surprising that Corneria has more frame drops than I thought there was, maybe its just because I am not used to the NTSC version though.

I imagine the drops would have been less severe in the PAL version simply because it already runs slower?

Finally got around to checking my N64 games today and it got me thinking. What is the weirdest N64 game you guys have ever come across? It could be story, controls, visuals, or just general idea that makes it stand out.

Love the game myself but Buck Bumble is the weirdest thing I have played on my N64.

hqdefault.jpg

It helps to have the worst best title music ever also.
Space Station Silicon Valley was such a weird theme but played great (at the time). Should really revisit it again.

televator

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/is-it-possible-to-disable-anti-aliasing-in-n64-games-via-gameshark-cheats.59916/

I'll just drop this bomb here. Things could possibly get very interesting for the n64!

I see posts there saying they're hooking the GS up to the computer. So I guess you need some sort of parallel connector to intercept and change game code? It looks sorta complicated (like hex editing PS2 games), but I hope it's easier than it looks. I wonder if this can enable 480i in games...

I see posts there saying they're hooking the GS up to the computer. So I guess you need some sort of parallel connector to intercept and change game code? It looks sorta complicated (like hex editing PS2 games), but I hope it's easier than it looks. I wonder if this can enable 480i in games...

That's only if you want to find and make the codes. You can use the codes they've posted without connecting it to the PC.

-KRS-

Well, with flash carts you should be able to hack the game files directly instead of using cheat codes to do it. If somebody will bother to find out of course.

Yeah I suppose it would be possible to create patches for games that just flip the same bits in the right memory addresses that the GS codes do.

I didn't see a difference with the PAL version of Duke Nukem 64 either. I'm using composite but there should be some difference but it's really not there. Could be applying it wrong but there's not a whole lot of info.

Forgive the phone + composite pictures but I figured I'd share anyway.

Without game shark code

Code used in everdrive 64

Game shark code applied

Top Bottom