• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Timu

I received a Jungle Green Ultra HDMI N64 from my awesome modder, today!

24317101293_5ca9f38a10_b.jpg

24576316859_2dffef981e_b.jpg

24648455880_d9f205d44c_b.jpg
How much did this cost? Nice BTW.

elmalloc

How much did this cost? Nice BTW.

Thanks!

The mod was not cheap. I paid $240 for it. I believe the base price offered was $220. I wanted mine fully cleaned/polished. He did a good job, worth it. Priority mail shipping was included, so essentially it's a $200 job at base.

BadAssConsoles has theirs for sale for $164 (+ shipping, so more like $185). I believe parts is in the realm of $110-130. I have never seen BAC have any item in stock, though. And they're working hand and hand with the Gamecube GC-Video modder. From the UK pictures, that mod looks like it's out of control (i.e. ugly) and will not be a viable solution for the masses.I hope they do not offer it in that state, I imagine that's why there's a delay sensed with it.

Jake from State Farm said:
Always liked the green. BTW, mod looks nice and clean.

Definitely! Thanks, this modder is very good, I believe. He is likely my new modder for anything. I have a Japanese gold NTSC-J that I wanted to get done to match the controllers, it is also very sexy, but it came with a lot of scuffs/scratches.

I've noticed (at least in eBay pictures), that the clear consoles show scuffs/scratches less easily. I picked this Jungle Green up for $45. I forgot how gorgeous the Nintendo 64 console was, ferrari-like.

^ where'd you buy it from if not badassconsoles?

Also I tried Lylat Wars with the anti-AA gameshark code and I couldn't see a difference. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or using a different region (Europe not the same as PAL?) or composite isn't clear enough to show the differences.

I'll try some more when I can, but I'm a bit disappointed with the results so far.

televator

That's seriously a boon to N64 video quality. It makes scanlines unnecessary on Golden Eye in that vid. Incredible.

I wonder if it helps the games run smoother too?

From the look of it, I think it's a post process filter. Performance gain wouldn't be too significant, if anything at all perceptible.

thomasos

Some recent N64 pickups....

mlx4ZPH.jpg

I'm airing out Mystical Ninja because the inner box and instruction manual smell a bit smokey. I tried the dryer sheet trick, but now they just smell like cigarettes and dryer sheets. Any recommendations on how to get rid of smoke odors?

elmalloc

Some recent N64 pickups....

mlx4ZPH.jpg

I'm airing out Mystical Ninja because the inner box and instruction manual smell a bit smokey. I tried the dryer sheet trick, but now they just smell like cigarettes and dryer sheets. Any recommendations on how to get rid of smoke odors?

I returned a batch of games worth $500 recently because of the smoke smell. There's 3rd hand smoke concern with chemical tar buildup from the remains of cigarette smoke. I think the game can probably be cleaned but the box/instruction manual will be tough.

televator

I want to know how this works on an Everdrive...because this should convince me to get one!

It looks like a patch file. You apply it with some software I believe similar to how people patch color palettes in game boy games and translations on import games.

Does anyone recommend a specific brand of replacement joysticks? I see a few different ones floating around on amazon and ebay and cant decide on which one to try out. Im leaning toward the gamecube style ones, so if anyone has any experience with it id be very grateful.

Does anyone recommend a specific brand of replacement joysticks? I see a few different ones floating around on amazon and ebay and cant decide on which one to try out. Im leaning toward the gamecube style ones, so if anyone has any experience with it id be very grateful.

I'm quoting myself from a few days ago:

"Putting in a good word for a replacement stick from video game museum from eBay. Bought a couple of sticks to replace some original "grindy" but tight originals. What a difference! Can "tiptoe" with Mario. Super happy with these sticks. Was around $10/stick."

Seriously these are GOOD sticks. IMO better than the originals (unless, maybe, a brand new original).

Appreciate it. I'm looking on amazon right now and they appear to be the GameCube style sticks with a little hole in the center. I'm going to have to give it a shot. I've just heard bad things so I just wanted to get an opinion.

Honestly, I'm tempted to put some money into a Gamecube adapter for the N64 and just use that for now.

Though I did buy those replacement gears, and haven't installed them yet...

Yeah, there appears to be two different gamecube style sticks out there. One has a little hole in the center of it and has great praise online. One doesn't have that hole, and also appears to be rubber much like the gamecube. The latter seems to have issues.

The awesome ones I have have the hole and are plastic all the way.

televator

I've mentioned it before, but I'm sooooo fucking glad I found an N64 Hori pad for 25 bucks. I went to the retro store and there it was... At 45 dollars... I passed. Came back a few days later and it has a $25 sticker on it. I actually looked around like I couldn't believe it. lol Like, why am I the guy, at this exact moment, in this part of the world, at this time of the day, standing here with a 25 dollar Hori pad in front of him? Guess I just had to take it. If I didn't take it, it would have been something monumentally stupid on my part.

choo chooooo

Is it fun? I'm trying hard to imagine it. lol

D.Lo

I've mentioned it before, but I'm sooooo fucking glad I found an N64 Hori pad for 25 bucks. I went to the retro store and there it was... At 45 dollars... I passed. Came back a few days later and it has a $25 sticker on it. I actually looked around like I couldn't believe it. lol Like, why am I the guy, at this exact moment, in this part of the world, at this time of the day, standing here with a 25 dollar Hori pad in front of him? Guess I just had to take it. If I didn't take it, it would have been something monumentally stupid on my part.
What colour? Some colours are even more expensive.

The awesome ones I have have the hole and are plastic all the way.

Then thats the one i am going to have to pick up. I appreciate it. Im just going to get one for a controller of mine.

Also does anyone have any experience with S-Video cables on N64? Ive done some research online with comparison screenshots and what not, but i would like to get a hands on opinion by someone on Gaf. Im not going to RGB mod my N64 or get a Frameiester, so S-Video is as far as i will go for better picture quality.

elmalloc

Then thats the one i am going to have to pick up. I appreciate it. Im just going to get one for a controller of mine.

Also does anyone have any experience with S-Video cables on N64? Ive done some research online with comparison screenshots and what not, but i would like to get a hands on opinion by someone on Gaf. Im not going to RGB mod my N64 or get a Frameiester, so S-Video is as far as i will go for better picture quality.

I do not have first hand experience, but from what I saw on RGB Life they said the N64 was not very good at showing a difference between composite and S-Video. I find that hard to believe, but in their comparison screens I had trouble also. I imagine some of the jittery/noise would be gone, but I think the N64 anti aliasing blur filter is making the difference difficult.

I do not have first hand experience, but from what I saw on RGB Life they said the N64 was not very good at showing a difference between composite and S-Video. I find that hard to believe, but in their comparison screens I had trouble also. I imagine some of the jittery/noise would be gone, but I think the N64 anti aliasing blur filter is making the difference difficult.

Yeah, also i just noticed my tv doesnt even have an S Video port lol. Oh well.

elmalloc

Yeah, also i just noticed my tv doesnt even have an S Video port lol. Oh well.

Damn. I watched a couple videos now and S-video does look like it has deeper color range and it's definitely clearer (less jitter/noise), as expected. Not sure why RGB Life said not much of a difference.

What TV do you have?

Damn. I watched a couple videos now and S-video does look like it has deeper color range and it's definitely clearer (less jitter/noise), as expected. Not sure why RGB Life said not much of a difference.

What TV do you have?

Its a 46" samsung LCD. Its fairly modern so i guess thats why it doesn't have one. It does a real number on N64 games picture quality. Its a blurry mess.

Awesome! I would definitely trust video game museum again.

As for s-video, I'm using it on a 26 inch Panasonic lcd. The picture is much sharper than composite, the colors are little bit deeper/accurate, but it's a little less bright.

I have also found the quality of the cable makes a big difference. I've thrown away a cable because I realized later it was picking up electrical interference. Bought a new one that seems to be better shielded, and I keep it away from the power cables in any case, much better. (Canadian eBay seller)

SKINNER!

Banned
choo chooooo

Omg I want this!

It's probably pricy on ebay but does it go for cheap in Japan?

Been looking into trying out some JP N64 games lately. Any good ones with limited Japanese? Already tried Bangai-o, evangelion and sin/punishment.

I got my PAL s video cable from a Swedish seller on ebay who knows his/her shit. Highly recommend it. NTSC version is also available.

Omg I want this!

It's probably pricy on ebay but does it go for cheap in Japan?

That was $15 for the controller and $5 for the game CIB. The N64 one seems to be less common but there was only one game for the 64 so maybe that's why it's so cheap? I saw the PS1 controller CIB for $30 but I couldn't find the game that's sold separately in the same store. :(

As usual ebay price seem a lot higher. You might have better luck finding the PS1 stuff there though, seems way more common.

Been looking into trying out some JP N64 games lately. Any good ones with limited Japanese? Already tried Bangai-o, evangelion and sin/punishment.

Puyo Puyo Sun is really good. I've only played the PS1 version but I picked up the N64 and Saturn versions in the last few days, maybe I can see if they differ at all, haha. Puyo Puyo~n (4) is good to but a bit pricey.

SKINNER!

Banned
That was $15 for the controller and $5 for the game CIB. The N64 one seems to be less common but there was only one game for the 64 so maybe that's why it's so cheap? I saw the PS1 controller CIB for $30 but I couldn't find the game that's sold separately in the same store. :(

As usual ebay price seem a lot higher. You might have better luck finding the PS1 stuff there though, seems way more common.

Puyo Puyo Sun is really good. I've only played the PS1 version but I picked up the N64 and Saturn versions in the last few days, maybe I can see if they differ at all, haha. Puyo Puyo~n (4) is good to but a bit pricey.

$15! lucky bugger :) Thanks for the Puyo Puyo suggestion. Will keep an eye out for the train game and that one hopefully.

I received a Jungle Green Ultra HDMI N64 from my awesome modder, today!

24317101293_5ca9f38a10_b.jpg

24576316859_2dffef981e_b.jpg

24648455880_d9f205d44c_b.jpg
I should've mentioned on my last post in this thread that THIS is how you do a HDMI mod. Not that fugly disfigurement of the GameCube we've seen recently.

EDIT: just to clarify, this HDMI mod can be done on any model of the N64, right?

Just found out recently that my N64 is actually a rare model. It's the Daiei Hawks model. Picked it up at a second hand store for only 1500 yen too (with a few games including Kirby and Paper Mario).

And thanks to my security screwdriver arriving in the post today, I have switched out the innards of my RGB-modded system and now have an RGB modded Daiei Hawks N64 :)

elmalloc

So I played with the ultra HDMI N64 last night for a couple hours. I went through 1080p, scan lines, sharp pixels, VI de-blur.

• The mode I use right now is 1080p/scanlines/contrast high/vi de-blur. My initial impression is, man does the N64 look bad, lol. I'm totally spoiled with Wii-U 3D games.
  • With sharp pixels and VI De-blur ON, it's super duper pixelated. I can see why Nintendo implemented anti aliasing/blur for everything. The colors do look good and scanlines seem to make things look a little cleaner. I'm interested in other people's impressions vs. an RGB modded N64. There is no noise in the image, just super pixels.
  • It's different than NES/SNES as those are primarily 2D, and clean pixels serve them very well. The Hi-def NES is still my favorite retro console.
  • I played an hour of Mario 64 (super ugly, lol, and I forgot how horrible the camera is in this game) and Mario Golf (again, I remember this looking a lot better). It's playable but, for instance the golf ball is composed of 4 pixels in the air (so it forms a perfect square, not round). I wonder if Mario Golf is running in 480i or something and I'm seeing combing with it, not sure.
  • I'm using Integer scaling mode which is essentially nearest integer scaling to 1080p with black bars (no stretching). You can also do integer+ mode and fraction, which are not recommended from their manual. If you overscan 10% you can get the junk out of the image, but I don't like to do that because it messes up the scaling (i.e. zooming).
Here are VI De-blur examples from retro rgb to give you an idea of what it does (zoom into the picture):
http://retrorgb.com/images/UltraHDMI-DeBlur.jpg

Top Bottom