• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Lynd7

Hmm, well for now I wouldn't worry about it, if only it becomes severe you should do something.

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on it, it's just a weird glitch to me. It's only on that screen (At least that I can see) and sort of ramps up in severity. I hadn't seen it before either and I used to leave Mario 64 running on that sometimes.

Here's a direct feed in case anyone wants to check it from a cleaner source.

(Actually download file for full quality)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-T8klYBwbcTZjhKUnlVYmxiZ0k/view

Galdelico

I think it doesn't look that great without scanlines on. I am still going back and forth with some settings, I think I prefer it without the deblur on too, while some elements are sharper, I think overall it can make it a little worse.

My aim is to make it look as close as it can be to how it should look on a CRT. I think that's the best way to go with the N64.
I dunno if it depends on the quality of the pictures/video output, but I think it looks significantly better on your 55.

Lynd7

I dunno if it depends on the quality of the pictures/video output, but I think it looks significantly better on your 55.

I tried to take some pics that would give a good idea. To me, they look quite close, the CRT has an edge in terms of motion, but that's more down to LCD tech I think.

It looks about as good as the CRT with scanlines on, playable and nice looking. Plus, being able to have more options for the future is great.

Galdelico

I tried to take some pics that would give a good idea. To me, they look quite close, the CRT has an edge in terms of motion, but that's more down to LCD tech I think.

It looks about as good as the CRT with scanlines on, playable and nice looking. Plus, being able to have more options for the future is great.
It really does look just as good, judging from those pics, if not a bit sharper (which makes it even better at my eyes).

elmalloc

I think it doesn't look that great without scanlines on. I am still going back and forth with some settings, I think I prefer it without the deblur on too, while some elements are sharper, I think overall it can make it a little worse.

My aim is to make it look as close as it can be to how it should look on a CRT. I think that's the best way to go with the N64.

Question as well. I've never noticed this before, so I am wondering if theres a fault with my system? On the title screen for Mario 64 (His head) theres some weird diagonal looking lines that seem to flicker lightly. At first it looked like just a couple of pixels, but it does seem to extend as a faint line. Hard to explain, but I can probably get a video up later.

I can only see it on that screen, was that always part of the game?

It looks like you're almost playing with Retro mode settings. Overscan, I'm guessing, messes up the pixel dimensions, so I don't use it.

I noticed in some sharp pixel modes, an artifact on Mario's head would appear but I didn't see it during gameplay. It looks like you're seeing it in all modes though, so probably not related?

I was in scanline/retro mode early on, too. I swapped out it of it a week later to have no scanlines. The no scanline look on my 720p looks better than the no scanline look on my 1080p.

Also, related to the movement comment, I think pictures look better than the Ultra HDMi does in movement (if you have vi de-blur set to ON). Just a lot of pixels moving around....

After watching MLIG's NES integer scaling video, I would like scaled pixels to take up integers and not half integers. I bet a lot of what we see in side scrolling 2D problems with half integer scaling is worse in 3D.

Lynd7

It looks like you're almost playing with Retro mode settings. Overscan, I'm guessing, messes up the pixel dimensions, so I don't use it.

I noticed in some sharp pixel modes, an artifact on Mario's head would appear but I didn't see it during gameplay. It looks like you're seeing it in all modes though, so probably not related?

I was in scanline/retro mode early on, too. I swapped out it of it a week later to have no scanlines. The no scanline look on my 720p looks better than the no scanline look on my 1080p.

Also, related to the movement comment, I think pictures look better than the Ultra HDMi does in movement (if you have vi de-blur set to ON). Just a lot of pixels moving around....

After watching MLIG's NES integer scaling video, I would like scaled pixels to take up integers and not half integers. I bet a lot of what we see in side scrolling 2D problems with half integer scaling is worse in 3D.

Yeah, I'm still going back and forth with sharp pixels and de-blur. Overall though I think the scanlines make it look better. Although, I may prefer F-Zero with the image a bit sharper. I'm currently playing Mario 64 with no overscan, I couldn't see much if any picture quality loss with the overscan, but I guess it's probably a bit sharper.

Some games we may want to use a bit of overscan though cause they had less of an active picture.

A smaller screen probably helps a bit too. Maybe a computer monitor with lower motion blur would be nice as well.

shanafan

Here's yet another comparison from that thread with AA on(top) and AA off(bottom):
14c5yc5.png

How's the mod been working out for you?

elmalloc

Yeah, I'm still going back and forth with sharp pixels and de-blur. Overall though I think the scanlines make it look better. Although, I may prefer F-Zero with the image a bit sharper. I'm currently playing Mario 64 with no overscan, I couldn't see much if any picture quality loss with the overscan, but I guess it's probably a bit sharper.

Some games we may want to use a bit of overscan though cause they had less of an active picture.

A smaller screen probably helps a bit too. Maybe a computer monitor with lower motion blur would be nice as well.

Agreed. There are some games where overscan could be used better, Mario 64 didn't seem to need it.

I do notice on my 720p set, Sharp Pixels (integer) results in a very small image (think 20" image on 50" TV). On my 1080p it's not nearly as small looking, something to do with the algorithm being used I suppose. I don't use sharp pixels because of that. Certainly, the smaller image looks "better" though.

I'm satisfied with basically just vi-deblur ON (no sharp pixels, no scanlines). I've come to be OK with 3D pixels, initially it was a bit of a shock that scanlines seemed to help with. I now look at the N64 as simply a 3D SNES, lol.

televator

Timu, any captured footage of your UltraHDMI yet? I'd like to see comparison between deblur on/off. Preferably, with scan lines for 240p material. 480i, no scan lines would be interesting too.

Timu

How's the mod been working out for you?
It's quite finicky at times as it's difficult to even display a picture, though some of my games don't work so that could be a factor, but when it does work I do love it. I need to test more games though as I also been into using component cables for my PSP.

Timu, any captured footage of your UltraHDMI yet? I'd like to see comparison between deblur on/off. Preferably, with scan lines for 240p material. 480i, no scan lines would be interesting too.
I don't have a UltraHDMI, just an RGB modded one. I might look into UltraHDMI in the future if it's cheaper and/or more widespread.

televator

It's quite finicky at times as it's difficult to even display a picture, though some of my games don't work so that could be a factor, but when it does work I do love it. I need to test more games though as I also been into using component cables for my PSP.

I don't have a UltraHDMI, just an RGB modded one. I might look into UltraHDMI in the future if it's cheaper and/or more widespread.

Ah, my mistake. Don't know why I thought you did the HDMI mod.

Timu

Here's Wave Race 64 from my RGB modded N64.
armarec20160302_184103.png
armarec20160302_184107.png
armarec20160302_184234_01.png
armarec20160302_184343.png
armarec20160302_184404.png
armarec20160302_184550.png

Here's how it looks in 240p, clean I'll say:
armarec20160302_184107.png
armarec20160302_184103.png
armarec20160302_184550.png
armarec20160302_184234_01.png
armarec20160302_184343.png
armarec20160302_184404.png

And a little of Rampage World Tour.
armarec20160229_160949.png
armarec20160229_161635.png

Ah, my mistake. Don't know why I thought you did the HDMI mod.
It's ok, it would be epic if I did get it as I would test the hell out of it!

Lynd7

Once I get my own capture device I can post specific requests. Used a friends to test it out the other day.

Also, update on that Mario 64 visual glitch. My friends RGB modded 64 also does it, so looks like my system isn't showing a fault somewhere.

Timu

Once I get more games in I'll be doing a lot of screenshots.
Once I get my own capture device I can post specific requests. Used a friends to test it out the other day.

Also, update on that Mario 64 visual glitch. My friends RGB modded 64 also does it, so looks like my system isn't showing a fault somewhere.
Ah, well, I need to play Super Mario 64 again and see if that happens with my RGB N64.

I also wish more people here would get into direct capture, I vastly prefer that over taking screens off camera from a TV/monitor.

Here's yet another comparison from that thread with AA on(top) and AA off(bottom):
14c5yc5.png

That bottom pic looks like something from a PlayStation magazine in the 90's
"Mario Kart 64 coming to PSX! Graphics look just as good!!!"

Then you purchase the game and it looks even shittier still.

elmalloc

Once I get more games in I'll be doing a lot of screenshots.Ah, well, I need to play Super Mario 64 again and see if that happens with my RGB N64.

I also wish more people here would get into direct capture, I vastly prefer that over taking screens off camera from a TV/monitor.

Is elgato the way to go, or is there something better? $150 is not bad for 1080p but I thought I heard weird things with elgato and the framemeister. Let me know of other choices if you know of any, otherwise I'll go with an Elgato. My birthday is soon and my parents gave me some money, lol. I can direct capture Ultra HDMI N64 and other things people are looking for, then.

televator

Is elgato the way to go, or is there something better? $150 is not bad for 1080p but I thought I heard weird things with elgato and the framemeister. Let me know of other choices if you know of any, otherwise I'll go with an Elgato. My birthday is soon and my parents gave me some money, lol. I can direct capture Ultra HDMI N64 and other things people are looking for, then.

I don't own any capture devices, but from what I've seen from users who post up captures from el gato, it's a pretty good device. Though I still think it's lacking for high end and sensitive PQ comparisons. I would like to see a capture device that can internally process in 4:4:4 at least for lossless RGB footage capture. This would be great for more solid picture quality comparisons. Full control of YUV formats would be ideal.

Timu

I rather go with Avermedia or Startech than Elgato, Elgato doesn't even support the best capture software ever, AmarecTV. And you don't want USB 2.0 when doing direct capture, you want USB 3.0 or PCI-E cards like the ones I listed.

Galdelico

Opinions of F-Cup Maniax/Fighter Destiny 2 and G.A.S.P.!! Fighters NEXTream?

Judging from a couple of random YouTube playthrougs I just watched, neither of those features a proper story mode - with characters endings and such things - which is what I was looking for, tbh. Are the two games still worthy, for some pick-up and play fun?

Celine

Opinions of F-Cup Maniax/Fighter Destiny 2 and G.A.S.P.!! Fighters NEXTream?

Judging from a couple of random YouTube playthrougs I just watched, neither of those features a proper story mode - with characters endings and such things - which is what I was looking for, tbh. Are the two games still worthy, for some pick-up and play fun?
There is no reason why you should get GASP, game is pretty bad.
Fighter Destiny 2 is a good purchase especially if you don't have FD1 (the point system is very original and the heart of the game/series).
Don't expect great graphics though.

Galdelico

^ Thanks! ;)

Yeah, only reason I mentioned G.A.S.P.!! is because I've always been kinda interested in those anime graphics/illustrations from the Japanese release. I honestly had no clue about the game itself... It looked pretty barebones, on that YT video.
FD2 would be my first one in the series (I'd probably want to track down the first episode too, for collecting purposes), and its unique mechanics, once again, have a certain appeal on me. I may keep it on my buy list.

Lynd7

I picked up an Elgato HD, might have been better with something else, but my friends worked fine for me anyway.

I'll try and do a quick video over the next day or so.

Timu

I'm gonna have more direct feeds with RGB next week guys!!!

Also do screens look better in 240p or scan doubled 480p?

elmalloc

I rather go with Avermedia or Startech than Elgato, Elgato doesn't even support the best capture software ever, AmarecTV. And you don't want USB 2.0 when doing direct capture, you want USB 3.0 or PCI-E cards like the ones I listed.

Timu - is there a capture thread you know about in NEOGAF? I imagine so, but couldn't find anything. I googled and found something else called BlackMagic Intensity Pro.

From what I read, Avermedia is better for live streaming (no audio/video sync issues) but ElGato has better quality for local recordings (for YouTube) - supposedly the video quality is better. Any thoughts on that?

Timu

Timu - is there a capture thread you know about in NEOGAF? I imagine so, but couldn't find anything. I googled and found something else called BlackMagic Intensity Pro.

From what I read, Avermedia is better for live streaming (no audio/video sync issues) but ElGato has better quality for local recordings (for YouTube) - supposedly the video quality is better. Any thoughts on that?
This is the closest one when it comes to taking screenshots of Gen 7 and older and it's dead. I don't know any that are just about only using capture cards for all Gens of gaming, though someone would have to make a thread like that.

I don't know who said that about the Elgato but most uses USB 2.0, meaning there will be compression in both direct feed screenshots and video. There is no way a USB 2.0 card will offer better quality than a good PCI-E and USB 3.0 card. However, there is a PCI-E one called Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro which is probably the only worth while one as it does x264 which is one of the best codecs for direct feed videos and since it's PCI-E it won't compress screenshots. If there's any Elgato that you need it's that one, though if you want to capture from other video connections you'll need a converter/upscaler or a different capture card, unless you are using HDMI only for this.

elmalloc

This is the closest one when it comes to taking screenshots of Gen 7 and older and it's dead. I don't know any that are just about only using capture cards for all Gens of gaming, though someone would have to make a thread like that.

I don't know who said that about the Elgato but most uses USB 2.0, meaning there will be compression in both direct feed screenshots and video. There is no way a USB 2.0 card will offer better quality than a good PCI-E and USB 3.0 card. However, there is a PCI-E one called Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro which is probably the only worth while one as it does x264 which is one of the best codecs for direct feed videos and since it's PCI-E it won't compress screenshots. If there's any Elgato that you need it's that one, though if you want to capture from other video connections you'll need a converter/upscaler or a different capture card, unless you are using HDMI only for this.

Thank you for the information. I can purchase an Elgato HD60 Pro and begin capturing, and make a thread for retro gaming only. As you noted, it only captures HDMI. This will be difficult to capture Gamecube/PS2 and other Component consoles at this time, unless fed through to the Framemeister somehow.

Timu

Thank you for the information. I can purchase an Elgato HD60 Pro and begin capturing, and make a thread for retro gaming only. As you noted, it only captures HDMI. This will be difficult to capture Gamecube/PS2 and other Component consoles at this time, unless fed through to the Framemeister somehow.
You'll make the thread? Awesome, I will contribute a lot to it! I mean, we have a scanlines thread, might as well have one for direct capture. There are component to hdmi converters but they vary in quality. Framemeister is probably the best overall though.

The PS1 still wouldn't have textures that smooth though.

Yeah, turning off anti-aliasing has an obvious significant negative impact on N64 graphics, as those screenshots show, but at least you still have the texture filtering making polygons look nice and smooth, instead of all pixelated like you'd see on PS1... (Yes, I know some people like the pixelated look, but I don't, not in 3d.)

Still though, interesting stuff to see. I've heard the line 'well N64 graphics are aliased, how much good was the anti-aliasing doing' before, and this comparison here shows that yes, it IS doing something good.

Timu

I just got 5 games in the mail today, and one of them has res switching between 480i for menus and 240p for gameplay...which I hate as I don't like both res switching and 480i. And that game is World Drive Championship, a N64 game that can do 480i without the expansion pak, which is rare for an N64 game.

I've been using my Gamecube controller for N64 games on an actual N64 and I prefer it to the N64 controller for them.

Also, man do some N64 games run poorly!

elmalloc

I just got 5 games in the mail today, and one of them has res switching between 480i for menus and 240p for gameplay...which I hate as I don't like both res switching and 480i. And that game is World Drive Championship, a N64 game that can do 480i without the expansion pak, which is rare for an N64 game.

I've been using my Gamecube controller for N64 games on an actual N64 and I prefer it to the N64 controller for them.

Also, man do some N64 games run poorly!

I remember I couldn't get far in DK64 because it seemed like it moved really slowly. It was either the choppy framerate or the slow movement of DK vs Banjo or Mario. I ought to try it again nowadays.

Celine

One of the better racing game on N64.
Some of the best graphics on the system.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I remember I couldn't get far in DK64 because it seemed like it moved really slowly. It was either the choppy framerate or the slow movement of DK vs Banjo or Mario. I ought to try it again nowadays.

I hated this game. The constant switching for banana collecting was so annoying.

Timu

I remembered playing that years ago!!! Gonna need to try that again once I have the expansion pak.

One of the better racing game on N64.
Some of the best graphics on the system.
Yep, some screens I took!
armarec20160307_164403.png
armarec20160307_164644.png

Galdelico

I'm not hugely into the N64, but World Drive Championship really looks good. Is that a completely different beast from Imagineer's City Tour Grandprix, right?

Top Bottom