• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

IrishNinja

Q1hPt12.jpg

it's not a very large collection (there's a few WWF and sports loosies like NFL Blitz, Gretzky's 3D Hockey etc) but it'll do! plus, my new-ish N64 ED means i'm likely not getting many more at this point, haha

The compulsion to collect everything in Banjo Kazooie is driving me nuts. Those stupid notes... I got 92 of the swamp ones before dying cause there's swamp everywhere.

I'm really ready to just give up, I don't want to recollect those 92 notes.

The compulsion to collect everything in Banjo Kazooie is driving me nuts. Those stupid notes... I got 92 of the swamp before dying cause there's swamp everywhere.

It's tough nowadays tackling these games for this reason. It's why i stopped DK64.

Gozert

The compulsion to collect everything in Banjo Kazooie is driving me nuts. Those stupid notes... I got 92 of the swamp ones before dying cause there's swamp everywhere.

That's why I'm not a huge fan of Banjo-Kazooie (don't get me wrong; I don't think it's a bad game), but the emphasis on collecting is just over the top. Of course you also had to collect stars in Super Mario 64, but you only needed 70 out of 120 to beat the game and you could even do that without collecting a single coin if you wanted. In Banjo-Kazooie, you need to collect 94 out of 100 jiggies (which also means you need to collect at least some Jinjo's) plus 810 out of 900 music notes.

it's not a very large collection (there's a few WWF and sports loosies like NFL Blitz, Gretzky's 3D Hockey etc) but it'll do! plus, my new-ish N64 ED means i'm likely not getting many more at this point, haha

It's a really good selection at least! The arcade-like sports games like the one you mentioned are also still worth playing today in my opinion. I really miss those kind of games, while I normally don't a give a hoot for more simulation-like sports titles.

The collecting isn't bad, it's just you lose every note and jingo you get in a level when you die in that level.

I probably could have bought the 360 version where this is fixed but I wanted to play it on my new 64.

televator

That's how I got turned off to Banjo. "Where does the collecting end?!" I said to myself all those years ago. "What satan spawn designed this game to drive me to madness?" Then I put down the controller for my own sanity. lol

One of the reasons that Donkey Kong 64 is a better game than Banjo-Kazooie is that even if it has more things to collect, you never need to collect stuff multiple times. In B-K you can waste LOTS of time collecting stuff because if you don't have the right power yet you may not be able to get all of them, so you'll have to quit... and restart from zero again. But while exploring, I want to collect stuff! It's a bad combination, and it's one that DK64 (and B-T) fix, thankfully. This really is a significant issue with the original B-K, but fortunately not the other Rare N64 3d platformers.

DK64 also has the most extensive soundtrack of any N64 game -- there are, like, over FIVE HOURS of music in that game, if I remember right! Crazy stuff.

Oh yeah, and I love the gameplay too... but of course all four N64 Rare 3d platformers have fantastic gameplay.

Balb

One of the reasons that Donkey Kong 64 is a better game than Banjo-Kazooie is that even if it has more things to collect, you never need to collect stuff multiple times. In B-K you can waste LOTS of time collecting stuff because if you don't have the right power yet you may not be able to get all of them, so you'll have to quit... and restart from zero again. But while exploring, I want to collect stuff! It's a bad combination, and it's one that DK64 (and B-T) fix, thankfully. This really is a significant issue with the original B-K, but fortunately not the other Rare N64 3d platformers.

DK64 also has the most extensive soundtrack of any N64 game -- there are, like, over FIVE HOURS of music in that game, if I remember right! Crazy stuff.

Oh yeah, and I love the gameplay too... but of course all four N64 Rare 3d platformers have fantastic gameplay.

The game is paced really well so this isn't an issue. Meanwhile, DK64 levels are littered with tons of grayed out items and switches that hint at stuff a playable character that you unlock 5 hours later can use.

The game is paced really well so this isn't an issue.
That's just not true, I ran into that exact issue multiple times in the early levels. It's annoying stuff. And even if you do have the power, that all-or-nothing design is bad. If I collect half of them the game should save that.

Meanwhile, DK64 levels are littered with tons of grayed out items and switches that hint at stuff a playable character that you unlock 5 hours later can use.
Yeah, but unlike B-K, the game doesn't punish you for trying to collect them -- you obviously can't get them with that character, come back later with the correct one. And what you do collect the game automatically saves.

TheMoon

DK64 a better game than BK what oO

I mean, I don't hate DK64 nearly as much as the internet at large but BK kicks its butt with both eyes closed.

DK64 a better game than BK what oO

I mean, I don't hate DK64 nearly as much as the internet at large but BK kicks its butt with both eyes closed.

DK64 is an amazing classic and one of the best 3d platformers ever. It's right up there with Mario 64 and Rayman 2 on my list of the three best 3d platformers of that generation. It's an exceptional game, and one of the very few games I've gotten everything in. Awesome graphics, music (the DK Rap excepted; that may be kind of amusingly cheesy, but it's not actually good), level designs, gameplay, minigames, bonus content... it's an extremely impressive title. I've played it in recent months and still really love the game.

As for B-K, it's good, but I never got around to finishing it once... I played DK64 first, and B-K feels like something similar but not as great. It's not even close, I like DK64 a lot more.

TheMoon

DK64 is an amazing classic and one of the best 3d platformers ever. It's right up there with Mario 64 and Rayman 2 on my list of the three best 3d platformers of that generation. It's an exceptional game, and one of the very few games I've gotten everything in. Awesome graphics, music (the DK Rap excepted; that may be kind of amusingly cheesy, but it's not actually good), level designs, gameplay, minigames, bonus content... it's an extremely impressive title. I've played it in recent months and still really love the game.

As for B-K, it's good, but I never got around to finishing it once... I played DK64 first, and B-K feels like something similar but not as great. It's not even close, I like DK64 a lot more.

It's weird. I love the whole Donkey Kong thing in general but DK64 never clicked with me. I played them right when they came out so maybe the order helps as well but Banjo has so many places and things that I remember fondly and there's not a single location or level or element I recall fondly from DK64 which I also never completely finished. I think I got close, though.

Celine

The collecting isn't bad, it's just you lose every note and jingo you get in a level when you die in that level.
Collecting Jingo in one go isn't a problem since they are just a few scattered through a stage (they are comparable to the red coins in Super Mario 64).
Collecting 100 notes on the other hand can become frustrating in latter stages.

My suggestion is to always tackle the 100 notes challenge at the end when you have got all the other jigsaw in the level.

One of the reasons that Donkey Kong 64 is a better game than Banjo-Kazooie is that even if it has more things to collect, you never need to collect stuff multiple times. In B-K you can waste LOTS of time collecting stuff because if you don't have the right power yet you may not be able to get all of them, so you'll have to quit... and restart from zero again. But while exploring, I want to collect stuff!
Usually the power you need to get every notes (which as I've already said is the the only real chore in the game) is within the stage itself.

I'm glad there are people here who likes DK 64.
I've been defending DK64 on the internet pretty much since it first released, and I still love the game.

For DK64 v. Banjo one old thing I remember is that people often seem to prefer the first Rare N64 3d platformer that they played. The first one I got was DK64. They are big, long games with distinct similarities in gameplay, so this kind of makes sense...

It's weird. I love the whole Donkey Kong thing in general but DK64 never clicked with me. I played them right when they came out so maybe the order helps as well but Banjo has so many places and things that I remember fondly and there's not a single location or level or element I recall fondly from DK64 which I also never completely finished. I think I got close, though.
For me it's the opposite, I remember DK64 well but nothing about Banjo really comes to mind beyond that opening area that's in all the games... oh, and the Aztec level from the second one, that was kind of cool. I stopped playing B-T partway too, and haven't gone back, but I kind of liked that first world. Of course DK64 has an Aztec-ish stage as well, and it's probably better...

Collecting Jingo in one go isn't a problem since they are just a few scattered through a stage (they are comparable to the red coins in Super Mario 64).
Collecting 100 notes on the other hand can become frustrating in latter stages.

My suggestion is to always tackle the 100 notes challenge at the end when you have got all the other jigsaw in the level.

Usually the power you need to get every notes (which as I've already said is the the only real chore in the game) is within the stage itself.
It's been a long time since I played much of B-K, but I definitely remember getting most of the notes in a stage, but having to give up because some were somewhere inaccessible without a power I didn't have yet. And even if you CAN get them all, forcing you to get all 100 in one go is not nice. Sure DK64 has more to collect, but you're getting different things in different areas each time, and with somewhat different gameplay too as each character is a bit different. And if you're stuck with one person, there are usually several other things you could do instead. That's great, linearity is fine but in a game with this much to collect it's nice to have some options. The game does a great job of making me want to go back with each character and find as much as I can.

Gozert

It lacked the atmosphere of the Donkey Kong Country games. To me, nothing really stood out comparing it to earlier 3D platformers from the era.

Well, except the DK Rap and the insane amount of collectables, of course.

BTails

So, through the glory of the Rare Replay collection, I discovered Blast Corps. I think I may have rented this game once way back when, but I had barely played it so it was pretty fresh. I kinda fell in love with this game, and after only a couple days this happened...

Yup, I ended up unlocking all the Milestones on the collection. Basically that meant having to collect all Gold Medals, including all the bonus stages, plus get gold in all the time trials, and collect at least ONE platinum.

The music is great, though even Rare's bad games usually have great music. Control is tight for the most part
(except the bonus levels on various planets, those can go to hell!)
, and there's very few times you feel like the game is cheating you. Any failure usually feels like your own, giving you that "One more try" mentality.

And Backlash, the truck which has you power sliding into buildings to take them out, is one of the worst/best vehicles in the game. Rare really forces you to "git gud" with this guy, but when you start pulling off some sick power slide combos, you feel like a million bucks.

Teknoman

The only thing I don't like about platformer a with too many collectibles: I feel compelled to get all, and then the game becomes less about plat forming and more of a forceful scavenger hunt. Forcing myself not to play recent Nintendo platformers and even open world games like that.

The only thing I don't like about platformer a with too many collectibles: I feel compelled to get all, and then the game becomes less about plat forming and more of a forceful scavenger hunt. Forcing myself not to play recent Nintendo platformers and even open world games like that.
So don't 100% them, just focus on the main story quests?

Conezays

Ugh, talk about a downer. So my green DK N64 I ordered with expansion pack, etc. arrived. Despite trying multiple power outlets, different AV/S-video cables, etc. on my CRT I cannot get the N64 to display picture (or sound as far as I can tell). The red power light on the front of the system does turn on though. Any tips or suggestions before I request a refund on Ebay? That being said, even if there are ways to remedy this, a listing should mention if a system is untested or is finicky getting to work, etc. (In this case the listing said it was tested and from a 100 % approval seller; go figure).

BTails

Ugh, talk about a downer. So my green DK N64 I ordered with expansion pack, etc. arrived. Despite trying multiple power outlets, different AV/S-video cables, etc. on my CRT I cannot get the N64 to display picture (or sound as far as I can tell). The red power light on the front of the system does turn on though. Any tips or suggestions before I request a refund on Ebay? That being said, even if there are ways to remedy this, a listing should mention if a system is untested or is finicky getting to work, etc. (In this case the listing said it was tested and from a 100 % approval seller; go figure).

Dirty cartridge slot maybe? I had issues with a game I had bought and the screen was just black when I booted the N64 with that cart in until I cleaned it.

Conezays

Dirty cartridge slot maybe? I had issues with a game I had bought and the screen was just black when I booted the N64 with that cart in until I cleaned it.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that and had already done some minor cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

So I just tried plugging it into a normal power outlet (normally I use a surge bar) and it showed no red light; I then plugged it back into the surge bar and now every game I've tried works. No idea what's going on here but glad it works I suppose.

Haven't played the actual hardware for over 15 years which makes me totally forget how the analog stick felt and responded; is it being "tight" normal? Can't remember how mine felt stock unfortunately.

SKINNER!

Banned
Nice one!

Cleaning the cart does help. My ExciteBike 64 cart was a pain to load up and I only ever got it to work after maybe the 5th attempt at "taking it out and putting it back". Fed up with that shit, I grabbed a cotton ear bud and one of those disposable glasses wipes that contains rubbing alcohol. Wiped it on the earbud so that the cotton had a bit of the rubbing alcohol on it and just gently cleaned the connectors on the cart. Less than 5 minute job and boom! it loads perfectly now on every attempt. Give it a go! :) Just remember not to soak your cotton ear bud in rubbing alcohol, only dampen it. You don't need a lot anyway.

Conezays

Nice one!

Cleaning the cart does help. My ExciteBike 64 cart was a pain to load up and I only ever got it to work after maybe the 5th attempt at "taking it out and putting it back". Fed up with that shit, I grabbed a cotton ear bud and one of those disposable glasses wipes that contains rubbing alcohol. Wiped it on the earbud so that the cotton had a bit of the rubbing alcohol on it and just gently cleaned the connectors on the cart. Less than 5 minute job and boom! it loads perfectly now on every attempt. Give it a go! :) Just remember not to soak your cotton ear bud in rubbing alcohol, only dampen it. You don't need a lot anyway.

Cheers, thanks. I have an Everdrive 64 that just arrived too so looking forward to popping that in and mitigates the constant inserting/taking out of cartridges :) Guess I'll mess around with these controllers before scouring elsewhere for something better. I imagine finding pristine N64 controllers with good joysticks is tough at this point. Those Hori pads look nice but are definitely pricy...

alf717

Unreal was coming to the N64? I can't find anything on this.

1386568-ijhbm.jpg

I remember this. I also remember so many games back then that Magazines would say were in the pipe line. Like Tomb Raider 64 and Mega Man 64 (before Legends). You usually found these lists towards the end of the magazine.

IrishNinja

thorough as ever, i'll give them that - i'm gonna try the link he gave on those no-intro patches for my everdrive, but again, ive been good with RGB over my framemeister so far...gonna switch it over to CRT soon & see how i like that option. i appreciate their love for the ultra HDMI mod, i'm just personally not seeing enough value there for the board & modding fee, myself. looks good though!

televator

thorough as ever, i'll give them that - i'm gonna try the link he gave on those no-intro patches for my everdrive, but again, ive been good with RGB over my framemeister so far...gonna switch it over to CRT soon & see how i like that option. i appreciate their love for the ultra HDMI mod, i'm just personally not seeing enough value there for the board & modding fee, myself. looks good though!

Sometimes, not thorough enough for me, but this video has everything more covered, and they are the best in the biz right now.

shanafan

Great video by MLiG.

Hope they don't cringe too much when I admit that my N64 is still hooked up with composite cables.

Top Bottom