• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Lynd7

lol, Timu doesn't have that mod. Anyway the UHDMI has other benefits. Like lossless digital RGB video and audio that can be decoded by a superior external DAC.

Yup, the UltraHDMI is great, its definitely the best option for N64 on an HDTV right now. Various options and the hybrid scanlines are great.

WillyFive

I got really confused by that video, they kept showing the video comparisons and the original RGB one always looked better because the deblur ones always ended up looking like a mess of pixels. Then again, the video kept using words like "smear" to describe the AA and saying it was a big boon despite showing the dithering and pixelation that occurs afterwards, so they did seem intent on trying to push the idea that the deblur one looked better somehow.

shanafan

The N64 Gameshark is pretty affordable right now on eBay. Tempted to give it a try if it can improve my composite signal.

Peltz

Great video by MLiG.

Hope they don't cringe too much when I admit that my N64 is still hooked up with composite cables.
N64's composite isn't bad looking on a consumer grade CRT from what I remember. You lose a bit of detail but it still doesn't look bad or gross like other types of composite output.

SKINNER!

Banned
Shoutout to Europe N64 gamers, will these gameshark codes work for Action Replay? I got one kicking around somewhere.

Do you regret your Ultra HDMI mod then?

Why? It's still a great mod.

The N64 Gameshark is pretty affordable right now on eBay. Tempted to give it a try if it can improve my composite signal.

affordable for now ;) You know we got Neogaf lurkers and asshole ebay retro game sellers looking at this thread right?

shanafan

Picked up a N64 Gameshark at a flea market today for $5. No version on the back though. I did read that it is possible to upgrade it, but first need to hook it up to see.

Edit - Manual says 3.2. Woohoo! Gameshark has also that weird sparkle look to it.

alf717

Picked up a N64 Gameshark at a flea market today for $5. No version on the back though. I did read that it is possible to upgrade it, but first need to hook it up to see.

Edit - Manual says 3.2. Woohoo! Gameshark has also that weird sparkle look to it.

Nice. You can dump N64 game with that version.

nillah

Banned
Unreal was coming to the N64? I can't find anything on this.

1386568-ijhbm.jpg
Or Mario 64 coming to the Tournament? lol...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM5hGHjarD4

Rich!

So...I just bought this for £100 on ebay. The N64 is a japanese console, RGB modded with the tabs removed for USA games.

Comes with these games included:

good deal? I already have controllers and a UK power block.

edit: that's the rumble version of SM64 isn't it? thats cool

televator

Here's a few images for a comparison between different settings on the UltraHDMI

Hybrid Scanlines

No Scanlines

No Scanlines + DeBlur

What's native res for Banjo?

It's hard to tell a difference between the hybrid and VI deblur. I'm guessing that particular area is not one that makes mush use of the primary filter.

Lynd7

What's native res for Banjo?

It's hard to tell a difference between the hybrid and VI deblur. I'm guessing that particular area is not one that makes mush use of the primary filter.

It's prob 240p, this is Banjo Tooie as well.

If you open all the images and flick between them, you should see the deblur one has sharper pixels.

Rich!

With all those games, it seems like an amazing deal.

Yay

I thought so too. The guy accepted my best offer, I fucked it up and ended up buying it at the full listed price. Luckily he's told me he's gonna put a banknote in the parcel to make up the difference caused by me being a twat haha

Timu

So...I just bought this for £100 on ebay. The N64 is a japanese console, RGB modded with the tabs removed for USA games.

Comes with these games included:

good deal? I already have controllers and a UK power block.

edit: that's the rumble version of SM64 isn't it? thats cool
Very nice, glad to see another with an RGB N64 here(like me).

Rich!

Very nice, glad to see another with an RGB N64 here(like me).

Thanks! Used to have one...regretted having to sell it two years ago.

Anyhow I need a new controller...I want a hori mini, but damn is £60+ really the going price for them?

Lynd7

Nice deal.

My system is also RGB modded ;) Actually, how are you capturing RGB Timu? I think you may have answered this already though.

I might have to try and pickup the rumble Mario 64 while I'm in Japan too.

Timu

Nice deal.

My system is also RGB modded ;) Actually, how are you capturing RGB Timu? I think you may have answered this already though.

I might have to try and pickup the rumble Mario 64 while I'm in Japan too.
I use a Sync Strike(scart to vga) and connect it to the Startech capture card. It's direct capture with no upscaling, though it's scan doubled from 720x240 to 720x480.

nkarafo

Anyone know how much adding the AA via the GameShark affects the framerate? Wasn't brought up in the video, yet seems like an obvious question.
The codes remove the filter.

I tested Goldeneye and it seems like the codes improve the frame rate a tiny bit.

There was a discussion about this in Sega16 and it seems like it improves the frame rate in most games tested.

Rich!

are action replays region locked?

Also...anyone got any experience with the raphnet gamecube controller to N64 adapters? That may be the best option for me

televator

The codes remove the filter.

I tested Goldeneye and it seems like the codes improve the frame rate a tiny bit.

There was a discussion about this in Sega16 and it seems like it improves the frame rate in most games tested.

Correction: the GS removes a filter. The N64 does 2 different filter passes. GS codes remove the first filter. The UHDMI removes the broad AA blur filter.

Using both at the same time removes both filters.

AmyS

Next Generation preview of Wave Race 64, and the "wave" of jet-ski arcade machines on the horizon in late '96

There were then at least three jet-ski themed arcade games around the same time as Wave Race 64.
Sega's Wave Runner - Namco's Aqua Jet - Konami's Wave Shark

Wave Race review
0BQ8tIi.jpg

Over 75 Nintendo 64 games now with approximately 60-65 boxed. Here's a pick of my most recent pickups. Really happy to get Mystical Ninja complete and in good condition. Need to get Goemon's Great Adventure still.

Top Bottom