• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I've been playing a LOT of N64 via emulators recently...However, there are a few games that either don't work or have flickering issues. I've been considering an Everdrive for a while, but the unit always seemed a bit confusing to me.

Besides being on a console vs a computer, what are the pros and cons of an Everdrive? And while not directly related, does anyone own one of the NES or SNES versions? Can you comment on those?

Rich!

So I've been playing a LOT of N64 via emulators recently...However, there are a few games that either don't work or have flickering issues. I've been considering an Everdrive for a while, but the unit always seemed a bit confusing to me.

Besides being on a console vs a computer, what are the pros and cons of an Everdrive? And while not directly related, does anyone own one of the NES or SNES versions? Can you comment on those?

An Everdrive is a flashcart. If you load a ROM on it the N64 will play it as if it was the actual cart. 100% compatibility.

Impotaku

There's more somewhere but i can't seem to find my extra boxed gold pad & daie hawks pad.

Pretty much 90% of my N64 collection although it hasn't been played in a while as it's all in storage at the moment. Could do with some box protectors for my games.

256be1adfd.jpg

256efb47d6.jpg

256dd44c57.jpg

256df62b6b.jpg

256c25e887.jpg

256ccee184.jpg

256dc7897e.jpg

256de2a5b7.jpg

256cf27d90.jpg

[imghttps://i.imgsafe.org/256ddb91a7.jpg][/img]
256e79be1f.jpg

256e7b05c5.jpg

256e844b97.jpg

256e906fa6.jpg

256ea363f6.jpg

256ecc4ee6.jpg

256ee6c6b5.jpg

256f0a1abc.jpg

256f26d970.jpg

256f397d16.jpg

256f3e6c52.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
An Everdrive is a flashcart. If you load a ROM on it the N64 will play it as if it was the actual cart. 100% compatibility.

Even with games like Conker, Gauntlet Legends, JFG, DKC64, etc?

There's more somewhere but i can't seem to find my extra boxed gold pad & daie hawks pad.

Pretty much 90% of my N64 collection although it hasn't been played in a while as it's all in storage at the moment. Could do with some box protectors for my games.

Wow...Gorgeous stuff. The JP N64 boxes were SO much better than the US boxes. And the number of games they got vs the US is crazy.

Conezays

Yes, all of them!!! Dude it's worth it, trust me, I have one and it's way better than emulation as it's the real thing all on one cart!!!

I can vouch for this as well. Love both my everdrives for N64 and Genesis. They are painless to setup and use as well.

Rich!

I can vouch for this as well. Love both my everdrives for N64 and Genesis. They are painless to setup and use as well.

hell yeah

Just beware of everdrive fakes. 99% of the ones on ebay are fake, and they have severe issues, as well as bricking if you install an official firmware update on them. Luckily though, the everdrive 64 has not been faked to any extent (it's been cloned, but as a completely different design with a cart passthrough that doesnt pretend it's an everdrive).

Krikzz's official site is a good resource. http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/everdrive-clones/

Also bear in mind with the Everdrive 64 the newest version is v3. There's not really much difference between v2.5 and v3 other than in 2.5 and below you have to press RESET on the console in order for the cart to write the save file to the SD card after playing. v3 does it automatically. Considering the £40 price difference between the two, I personally would be fine with v2.5 - I never had any issues with my old v2.

Rich!

Long shot but

I want to play through goldeneye again with my new GameCube controller adapter. But £20+ on ebay for the NTSC ver is a bit more than I would like to pay.

Has anyone got one spare I could buy? I'm in the UK.

Peltz

Yea Nintendo's Japanese box arts always seem to be cooler for every system up to and including the GCN than any other region.

Ps what's the language barrier like on Custom Robo? I'd love to check out the series but never played it before. Is the N64 version a good place to start even if I can't read Japanese?

Recall

Still awaiting for my Japanese N64 to arrive but the reason I bought it arrived first. The greatest AKI wrestling game ever made, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. No box but I'm fine with that. One booklet is the manual, the other the move list for the affiliated AJPW roster.

Anth0ny

offered a STUPID amount of money for a majora's mask adventure set

offer declined :(

I thought it was reasonable based on what the last few sold for, but obviously the seller disagrees :(

IrishNinja

^just caught that recently, any idea how legit it is? i should email nintendo about it as their next entry in the "classics" brand, haha

also: that majora's mask adventure set, how did people even get it? i feel like idve been all over that at release, but all i ever saw were gold carts

Sounds pretty legit and the owner of Assembler (not the same guy with that 64DD) says he has been sitting on a bunch of them too. More interesting is what could be on that dev disk 😮

SKINNER!

Banned
Sounds pretty legit and the owner of Assembler (not the same guy with that 64DD) says he has been sitting on a bunch of them too. More interesting is what could be on that dev disk 😮

Goddammit, release one to public domain already. We wanna know the secrets!!!

-KRS-

also: that majora's mask adventure set, how did people even get it? i feel like idve been all over that at release, but all i ever saw were gold carts

You could win it through some competition in the Swedish Club Nintendo magazine. I can't remember what you were supposed to do now but I do remember competing. Didn't win though. :/

Rich!

I know I posted this before, and I am sorry, but it deserves a respost.

KMx4VFGh.jpg

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/index.php

This is, without a doubt, the greatest N64-related purchase I have ever made. It has absolutely re-invigorated my interest in the N64 library and has solved the biggest issue I had with the console from 1997 right up until this very day.

I can play through all of my games now, using a Gamecube Wavebird, and it works flawlessly. The sensitivity and deadzone is spot on. The button configuration is spot on (and you can change it anyway). It's utterly amazing. The only downside is no rumble, but for £25 who gives a fuck?!

It arrived to me in the UK in three days. From canada. Have an N64? Buy this. Buy it now. It's amazing.

Timu

lololololololooooooooooooooooooool

that's exactly the same product I linked to, and that I am raving about. click my link, dude!

hahahhaa
I'm using a wired Gamecube controller though, no Wavebird or anything like that.

Edit: I linked the wrong one, this is what mine looks like:

v1_adapter.jpg

Rich!

I'm using a wired Gamecube controller though, no Wavebird or anything like that.

Edit: I linked the wrong one, this is what mine looks like:

v1_adapter.jpg

...but it works with the wavebird too, dude. really. try it.

I have both your version and the v2 and they both work flawlessly with the wavebird and standard gamecube pads.

Rich!

but rich, i'm not getting the pure mario party 1 experience without the n64 controller

I know, my son. I know.

I just want to pay through goldeneye again with a decent pad, but I don't want to pay the £30 an ntsc copy goes for on UK ebay

I would normally buy a japanese copy (£10) but I need those objectives in english!

Rich!

just found out my mates from up north are visiting later next month

I think i need to order more gamecube>n64 adapters and get ahold of goldeneye 64.....asap.

Rich!

Hahahahaha

I just accidentally knocked the cartridge inside my N64 whilst it was on, and Mario....got a bit fucked up. Took a video:

https://youtu.be/hHXbh8AzoLo

Make sure you turn the audio up to hear Mario's scream of pain as he collides with and impales himself into the tree. Couldn't get him out of it after that.

xclaw

Almost bit the bullet on an everdrive 2.5 tonight..... Anyone confirm it legit plays them 1:1 and is it worth waiting for a v3 price drop?

Rich!

Almost bit the bullet on an everdrive 2.5 tonight..... Anyone confirm it legit plays them 1:1 and is it worth waiting for a v3 price drop?

Yes of course it plays them legit 1:1.

And the only difference between the two you need to be aware of is that the 2.5 requires you to press reset after playing otherwise the savefile won't be written - if you just power it down immediately you will lose progress. It's not a huge thing, but when I had a 2.0 I turned it off before hitting reset a few times and it pissed me off each time.

Recall

My Japanese N64 arrived.

On my PAL 64 I use my PAL GameCube cables and it looks ace.

But with the Japanese N64 it just displays a black and white image?

Why is this and what cables should I be picking up to display a Japanese N64 on my SDTV? Cheers.

D.Lo

My Japanese N64 arrived.

On my PAL 64 I use my PAL GameCube cables and it looks ace.

But with the Japanese N64 it just displays a black and white image?

Why is this and what cables should I be picking up to display a Japanese N64 on my SDTV? Cheers.
Your TV is the problem, not the console or cables. Looks like it doesn't support NTSC colour.

Since the TV can't interpret the NTSC colour encoding you're left with just the luma and the image displays in clean black and white.

Top Bottom