• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Recall

Your TV is the problem, not the console or cables. Looks like it doesn't support NTSC colour.

Since the TV can't interpret the NTSC colour encoding you're left with just the luma and the image displays in clean black and white.

The same TV has no problem playing my Japanese Dreamcast games or Dreamcast games when using the 60hz option when prompted with some games. So thought it would be fine here, but hey guess not :(

Using the same cable and putting it into my HDTV I get a colour picture albeit a bit on the dark side.

Searched and found that others were suggesting a modded cable?

D.Lo

The same TV has no problem playing my Japanese Dreamcast games or Dreamcast games when using the 60hz option when prompted with some games. So thought it would be fine here, but hey guess not :(

Using the same cable and putting it into my HDTV I get a colour picture albeit a bit on the dark side.

Searched and found that others were suggesting a modded cable?
I assume you ran the Dreamcast games on a PAL DC? That runs PAL60, not NTSC, so the TV can handle it. 60Hz mode in Gamecube games is the same thing too.

Modding the cables is to do with RGB output since PAL and NTSC SNES consoles have different RGB outputs. The N64 does not support RGB unless you mod the console.

Recall

I assume you ran the Dreamcast games on a PAL DC? That runs PAL60, not NTSC, so the TV can handle it. 60Hz mode in Gamecube games is the same thing too.

Modding the cables is to do with RGB output since PAL and NTSC SNES consoles have different RGB outputs. The N64 does not support RGB unless you mod the console.

The more you know.

Thanks very much for the info. I've got a spare off-brand HDTV and that seems to handle the input better, it's in colour and normal brightness but not the most crisp. Oh well, I just want to play Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and now I can. Cheers.

Peltz

I want to pick up an N64 game. It's been a while since I've added to my collection. What do you guys recommend? I have:

Super Mario 64
OOT
MM
Paper Mario
Star Fox 64
Bomberman 64
F-Zero X
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64 (not a big fan)
Banjo Kazooie (not a big fan)
Sin and Punishment
SSB
Yoshi's Story
Wave Race 64
Mischief Makers
Mario Tennis
Paper Boy 64 (never played it though)
Wetrix (never played it though)
Pokemon Snap (on Wii VC only)
Kirby 64 and the Crystal Shards (Wii VC only)

Any recommendations would be appreciated. For imports, language barrier is important to take into account because I can't understand Japanese. Thanks!

TheMoon

Blast Corps (!!!!)
NBA Hangtime (pretty much NBA Jam 64, amazing game, holds up super well)
Beetle Adventure Racing
Resident Evil 2

NBA Hangtime (pretty much NBA Jam 64, amazing game, holds up super well)

Well...it is the sequel to NBA Jam, so... :p

But yes, it's a great game. I think I like it more than the other games in the series (NBA Jam, NBA Jam T.E., NBA Showtime). It's also the best port the series ever got. It's pretty much identical to the arcade version...like the only differences are that there's an options menu, and that you don't have to insert coins. Hah.

Anth0ny

dude is not budging on this majora's mask adventure set

i keep setting a limit, then exceeding the limit, and getting rejected. over and over.

at some point I really need to set a limit here ; _ ;

RoadDogg

dude is not budging on this majora's mask adventure set

i keep setting a limit, then exceeding the limit, and getting rejected. over and over.

at some point I really need to set a limit here ; _ ;

Any increase you make in a negotiation just shows the seller that you are willing to go further. You need to make a single best/final offer and never budge. See if you can get some friends to throw out some low ball offers at him to makes yours look better while you are at it.

Anth0ny

Any increase you make in a negotiation just shows the seller that you are willing to go further. You need to make a single best/final offer and never budge. See if you can get some friends to throw out some low ball offers at him to makes yours look better while you are at it.

i'd probably be laughed at and told I have mental problems if I told my "friends" that I was interested in a $100
n64 game ._.

I realize I probably fucked up by putting in more than one offer, though >_<

oh well. one day...

RoadDogg

i'd probably be laughed at and told I have mental problems if I told my "friends" that I was interested in a $100
n64 game ._.

I realize I probably fucked up by putting in more than one offer, though >_<

oh well. one day...

Do they have to be real people? Are you talking to the guy in person? Email Address/Accounts are easy to make...

How much do the sets actually sell for? The last auction I can find for it is from May and only (ha) went for $6,700 and it was sealed.

Anth0ny

Do they have to be real people? Are you talking to the guy in person? Email Address/Accounts are easy to make...

How much do the sets actually sell for? The last auction I can find for it is from May and only (ha) went for $6,700 and it was sealed.

exactly.

so my offers have been lower than $6700 USD since this one isn't sealed. I think that's fair.

one recently sold on nintendoage for $2500 USD... so my offers have been hovering between those two figures.

nothing.

according to a price check thread at nintendoage, they tend to go for around $3000 USD, give or take. dude listed it at $8000 USD which is ridiculous and way overpriced imo... plus I'm Canadian so go ahead and convert that to Canadian dollars. yeah ; _ ;

Just let it sit. Any additional offer you give will not help you and will just be used by the seller as a "well this other person already offered me this" when they are dealing with other offers. Try again in a year or so if they still have it and stay looking for other copies.

Teknoman

I want to pick up an N64 game. It's been a while since I've added to my collection. What do you guys recommend? I have:

Super Mario 64
OOT
MM
Paper Mario
Star Fox 64
Bomberman 64
F-Zero X
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64 (not a big fan)
Banjo Kazooie (not a big fan)
Sin and Punishment
SSB
Yoshi's Story
Wave Race 64
Mischief Makers
Mario Tennis
Paper Boy 64 (never played it though)
Wetrix (never played it though)
Pokemon Snap (on Wii VC only)
Kirby 64 and the Crystal Shards (Wii VC only)

Any recommendations would be appreciated. For imports, language barrier is important to take into account because I can't understand Japanese. Thanks!

Ogre Battle 64
DOOM 64
Goemon's Great Adventure
Bomberman Hero
Mystical Ninja 64
Sin and Punishment

Anth0ny

Just let it sit. Any additional offer you give will not help you and will just be used by the seller as a "well this other person already offered me this" when they are dealing with other offers. Try again in a year or so if they still have it and stay looking for other copies.

thanks for the advice, sounds like i'm gonna wait.

one day...

*plays song of time*

Balb

Anyone use those custom N64 sticker labels? Wanted to know how good they are, and which set is the best to go with.

televator

If I were to get those labels, I'd go for the half sized ones so that I can still open the cart without the sticker being a problem.

Anyone use those custom N64 sticker labels? Wanted to know how good they are, and which set is the best to go with.

I've thought about getting one, but haven't yet. Most cover the whole top, but there's one (that costs a little more) that is only half-sized, so if you take the cart apart it can't tear or something; that would be handy. It might be worth the extra money to get those, once you remember that some (not most, but a few) N64 games do have batteries in them...

There is one issue, though -- I only see sticker sets for the US and European N64 libraries on ebay. There's no market for the Japanese set, really? I'd think there would be at least a little... I have some Japanese N64 games, it'd be nice to have stickers for those too.

Cedric

Hey quick question for the N64 experts out there.

I put up my Fire Orange N64 for sale for 50$ on a website last night. This morning I woke up to like 20 messages, including one person who wasn't interested in buying the product but let me know that I should probably raise the price I'm asking for... so is it a mistake selling for 50? I don't know if this colour scheme is rare, a look around amazon and people seem to be selling it for over a hundred. That being said, I don't know if it's a price people are willing to actually pay or just delusional sellers. Thanks!

Cedric

Always check sold listings on ebay for an idea of what people are willing to pay

Thanks, didn't know that was a thing. Will check!

edit: Man this is quite overwhelming, some guy offered 30$ more than what I was offering initially. Might have to resubmit my ad, should've done my research properly.

mantis23

I looked into them at some point but decided to spend a bit more to print out covers and buy some game cases. check out thecoverproject.net, they have covers for every N64 game.

D.Lo

Hey quick question for the N64 experts out there.

I put up my Fire Orange N64 for sale for 50$ on a website last night. This morning I woke up to like 20 messages, including one person who wasn't interested in buying the product but let me know that I should probably raise the price I'm asking for... so is it a mistake selling for 50? I don't know if this colour scheme is rare, a look around amazon and people seem to be selling it for over a hundred. That being said, I don't know if it's a price people are willing to actually pay or just delusional sellers. Thanks!
People use orange N64s to make fake Daiei Hawks consoles, since the Daiei Hawks console is the rarest model of all N64s.

People use orange N64s to make fake Daiei Hawks consoles, since the Daiei Hawks console is the rarest model of all N64s.

This is so lame. I wanted to get a Daiei Hawks edition since the colors just look awesome but seeing people making fakes really put me off on that.

The transparent red/white one I ended up with is pretty sweet though.

Doesn't the funtastic line have better video output, or is that bs?

MLIG did a video about the N64 and I think there conclusion was that composite looked a little better but s-video and rgb looked pretty much the same.

Rich!

I want a transparent blue n64 at some point to match the one I used to have as a kid - and I'll swap over the board from my rgb NTSC one, and then sell the other one off.

Shouldn't be too costly.

shanafan

Finally tracked down Doom 64 in the wild.

Playing the first level I was expecting the classic level one from the original Doom, but it is a brand new game it seems. The music is creepy as hell, and has a very dark and overall scary atmosphere. It's definitely Doom.

Bar81

Finally tracked down Doom 64 in the wild.

Playing the first level I was expecting the classic level one from the original Doom, but it is a brand new game it seems. The music is creepy as hell, and has a very dark and overall scary atmosphere. It's definitely Doom.

It's a "new" Doom

Impotaku

Nah, it's rare but not the rarest N64 model they are still relatively easily found. The rarest N64 model is still the Jusco version although there are a few others that are nearly the same rarity like the ANA model or the clear black one that came with the deluxe N64DD bundle.

Anth0ny

so someone just listed a sealed majora's mask adventure set on ebay

bidding is at $360, 9 days to go

giphy.gif

RoadDogg

so someone just listed a sealed majora's mask adventure set on ebay

bidding is at $360, 9 days to go

giphy.gif

I see one at $280 with just under 10 days to go. Hope you can get it for less then $8,000 :) If not you will at least have a recent completed sale to base another offer to the first to with. When this one sells for less $7,000 sealed you should be able to go back at him with a sub $4,000 offer.

Anth0ny

I see one at $280 with just under 10 days to go. Hope you can get it for less then $8,000 :) If not you will at least have a recent completed sale to base another offer to the first to with. When this one sells for less $7,000 sealed you should be able to go back at him with a sub $4,000 offer.

That's the one!

$280 American is $360 Canadian ; _ ;

Recall

My loose copies of Custom Robo and Custom Robo V2 arrived along with a boxed copy of Puyo Puyo 64.

Own 4 games for my Japanese N64 now (incl. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2) I dont think there are any more Japanese exclusives really worth having, are there?

RoadDogg

My loose copies of Custom Robo and Custom Robo V2 arrived along with a boxed copy of Puyo Puyo 64.

Own 4 games for my Japanese N64 now (incl. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2) I dont think there are any more Japanese exclusives really worth having, are there?

Sin & Punishment and Bomberman 64 (Japan's is different) are two common ones I see come up that you don't need to know Japanese for to import and are good games.

The sealed Zelda Adventure Set is coming up on $3,000 too. I wonder what it will end at.

Get Densha de GO! 64

Puyo Puyo SUN is a lot of fun btw.

Recall

Get Densha de GO! 64

Puyo Puyo SUN is a lot of fun btw.

Never seen anyone mention Puyo Puyo Sun so when I stumbled across it on eBay for just £10 and then realised its a Japanese exclusive I snapped it up instantly.

Quite looking forward to playing it :)

Impotaku

There's also puyo puyoon which came after SUN but that one is a bit harder to find. Susume taisen puzzle dama is well worth getting too.

If you are into boardgames then there's Goemon mononoke sugoroku or minna de tamagotchi world.

Rakuga kids if you are into fighting games.

Anth0ny

update: sealed MM Adventure Set is sitting at $3597 Canadian

WITH 9 DAYS TO GO

this has to be the most expensive/valuable n64 related item at this point, right? it's basically our nwc gold.

Rich!

update: sealed MM Adventure Set is sitting at $3597 Canadian

WITH 9 DAYS TO GO

this has to be the most expensive/valuable n64 related item at this point, right? it's basically our nwc gold.

I dunno man, I have a boxed copy of Superman 64 lying around....

Rich!

hmmmmmmmm

8bitdo seem to have a bit of a pattern currently - they've released (superb) replica bluetooth controllers for the NES and SNES, and then released corresponding wireless receivers to go with them for the real consoles. For example, the SNES one has just launched:

http://www.play-asia.com/retro-receiver-for-snes/13/70a2f9

Tech Specs:

System Compatibility
- Original Super Nintendo (all models)
- Original Super Famicom (al models)
- All systems with an SNES/SFC-style controller port

Controller Compatibility
- All 8Bitdo controllers and arcade sticks
- PS3, PS4
- Wii Mote, Wii U Pro

Special Features
- Additional buttons mapped to turbo on all controllers
- Compatible with two-four Retro Receivers for multiplayer player games
- All 8Bitdo controllers are compatible with Mac/PC, iOS, Android and many next gen systems
- Output support: use the Retro Receiver as a bluetooth dongle(X-INPUT - Mac OSX / Windows)

Connectivity
- Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, Class 2
- 2.402Ghz~2.48Ghz

Power
- DC Power supply 5V, 100mA(powers directly from the NES controller port)

Now, why does this apply to the N64? Because of this:

13413632_600566130125189_1241694482952536105_n.jpg

so yeah, I'm guessing an N64 adapter will be next. And like the NES and SNES ones, it'll support Wii U pro controller and Dualshocks. sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Top Bottom