• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Anyone know if it'll have a memory card slot on the back?

Aside from that are there any neat/obscure accessories for the n64 out there? I picked up a Hori ages ago but was wondering if there's any other options like a 2D pad or something like that.

RoadDogg

I would prefer if they figured out a way to have the bt adapter you plug into the system act as a memrory card. I imagine transmiting save data via bt is going to be more work then it is worth.

Anth0ny

The sealed mm adventure set went for over $6k Canadian

I offered $3k Canadian for the opened one and the seller replied "go fuck yourself"

; (

televator

The sealed mm adventure set went for over $6k Canadian

I offered $3k Canadian for the opened one and the seller replied "go fuck yourself"

; (

As someone who used to be in the high end Honda parts dealing/importing, I could never imagine someone telling me to go fuck myself. That's just sad.

Peagles

If I were you I wouldn't buy it off that person just on a matter of principle. There's no need for that rudeness. That kinda attitude also makes me wonder if they'd also be a dick about packaging it well, getting the address right, being truthful about condition, etc.

Conezays

If I were you I wouldn't buy it off that person just on a matter of principle. There's no need for that rudeness. That kinda attitude also makes me wonder if they'd also be a dick about packaging it well, getting the address right, being truthful about condition, etc.

Yep. I've been told to "p1ss 0ff" when I once asked for photos of a console being listed online. Classy stuff.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Yep, I would never deal with a guy like this.

D.Lo

That's taking it too far, what a tool.

That said, I sell a lot of crap (my collection is always somewhat churning lol) and you get so many low ball offers, even if you say no negotiation.

It takes a lot of fortitude to keep saying 'not interested thank you' politely when someone repeatedly messages offering $50 (then $51, then $60, then $80 with a threat...) for something worth $400 listed at $300 buy it now with 67 watchers. Sometimes you get a sea of them, and you have to check because it might be a legit buyer asking an actual question.

The clowns often spin some bullshit about 'I can get 6 others for $55' - then why don't you buy them fuckwit?

Sorry just venting about asshole buyers lol.

televator

"Your prices are higher then [sic] store prices, but thanks."

That was one recent message from some guy who was clearly a reseller. It was a lie, but why the hell take the time to write that? Salty, lol.

I had 2 games priced ~$20 each, and he opens up with "Will you do 20 for both?" I wasn't rude to him in my response, but what the hell kinda offer is that? Buy one game and get another free... That's rich.

Anth0ny

Finally...

uQWXyFv.jpg

ZzabArO.jpg

I don't even have any games for it yet, but just watching Mario bounce around that logo is glorious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is the DD region locked at all?

I assume that's a western N64 and it's not?

D.Lo

Is the DD region locked at all?

I assume that's a western N64 and it's not?
American N64 is the exact same console as Japanese except for different tabs in the cart slot. So I can't see there being any compatibility problems.

There was a clear black Japanese N64 too, but it has a clear milky white bottom.

The only issue with a Funtastic N64 is that it can't be easily RGB modded. I have a black trasnparent funtastic with an RGB modded mobo swapped in myself.

Anth0ny

What's the MM adventure set?

Nintendo of Australia produced only 1000 boxes of this super deluxe MM release.

Inside: a boxed Aussie copy of the game, a soundtrack CD, a T-shirt, a watch, two pins and even a Certificate of Authenticity.

It's basically the most expensive N64 related collectable, as far as I know. I want it because MM is my favorite game of all time. I wouldn't even dream of spending that much money on any other LE for any other game, with the possible exception of OOT.

Just picked up a N64 at my local Flea Market for 25$.

So now that I have a SNES,Genesis,and N64 systems I can now replicate my childhood again.

Turok is the only game I got with it and it's gonna take me a while to adjust to the N64 controller after so many years.

Anth0ny

had a weird dream last night that may or may not have been a result of reading about the NES classic yesterday

I had a N64 mini, basically looked like this:

frontipquu.jpg

Plugged in a controller and Majora's Mask, turned it on, and the game popped up on my HDTV in full 1080p and widescreen.

I'm kinda surprised no one has sold something like this yet: basically a little box running retroarch that allows you to plug in controllers and carts that automatically runs N64 games in 1080p with widescreen hack enabled.

i'm sure it'll happen someday

Finally tracked down Doom 64 in the wild.

Playing the first level I was expecting the classic level one from the original Doom, but it is a brand new game it seems. The music is creepy as hell, and has a very dark and overall scary atmosphere. It's definitely Doom.

It's essentially a sequel in my opinion and it's own version of the game. AFAIK, this version isn't available anywhere else. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention among N64 fans but it seems like it finally is starting to.

Been a little absent from this forum this summer, however got myself some nice gaming things during it! I decided to buy a RGB modded N64 (first french model allows modding as it had a half finished RGB chip inside or something), PAL I know, but my library and nostalgic memories are from playing this console in Norway.

Anyways, real happy with how the RGB picture sharpens up the N64 games. A real great game imo is Quake, I actually think it's much better than the slower and less responsive sequel on the same console. Quake is a treat for the picture upgrade and it's great PAL game as it runs in fullscreen and at full speed.

Quake actually also allows the N64 AA setting to be turned off (named filter in the video options). Here are two pics comparing them, which I took:

"Filter" turned off:
photo02-08-162037059gkip.jpg

"Filter" on:
photo02-08-1620381386kj0.jpg

Complete N64 games are getting more and more expensive. I guess it's still cheap compared to SNES but the prices have increased fairly dramatically over the last year, especially on a few games.

Stunt Racer looks like the latest going through an increase. I guess it was expected as it's pretty uncommon. I always expected them to go up at some point but I guess I expected it wouldn't be quiet this soon.

Rich!

Complete N64 games are getting more and more expensive. I guess it's still cheap compared to SNES but the prices have increased fairly dramatically over the last year, especially on a few games.

Stunt Racer looks like the latest going through an increase. I guess it was expected as it's pretty uncommon.

Actually...that's not the main reason.

IrishNinja

damn, some of y'all have really dealt with some cunts on ebay, that sucks. ive no patience for lowballing resellers.

Finally...

I don't even have any games for it yet, but just watching Mario bounce around that logo is glorious.

shit, that's gorgeous! congrats man!

Actually...that's not the main reason.

I gues you are suggesting it increased because it's good? I'm not gonna debate that.

I'd still say it's clearly due to rarity and being desirable both that led to it' increase. For anyone interested you may still find it at your local game store before they update their prices.

Rich!

I gues you are suggesting it increased because it's good? I'm not gonna debate that.

I'd still say it's clearly due to rarity and being desirable both that led to it' increase. For anyone interested you may still find it at your local game store before they update their prices.

No, it's because it's the ideal donor cart for Star Fox 2 repros.

Finally tracked down Doom 64 in the wild.

Playing the first level I was expecting the classic level one from the original Doom, but it is a brand new game it seems. The music is creepy as hell, and has a very dark and overall scary atmosphere. It's definitely Doom.

I've found one at my retro game store and would of bought it too if he wasn't selling it for 10 dollars more than the average for loose games. This is why I rarely go to retro game stores anymore. All the ones close to me are charging even more than online prices.

It looks like I might have to go on Ebay to get Doom 64.

shanafan

I've found one at my retro game store and would of bought it too if he wasn't selling it for 10 dollars more than the average for loose games. This is why I rarely go to retro game stores anymore. All the ones close to me are charging even more than online prices.

It looks like I might have to go on Ebay to get Doom 64.

Did you ask if they would take less since it goes for less online? It's always worth an ask! Or maybe if you want to get another game, see if they'll do a bundle price.

Did you ask if they would take less since it goes for less online? It's always worth an ask! Or maybe if you want to get another game, see if they'll do a bundle price.

Yeah, I did they just gave me the standard we gotta pay rent excuse, which I can understand but there's not much more reason for me to go back when I can get the games online for cheaper.

I did manage snag Goldeneye for a few bucks below the average price so there's that. That was just the exception to the rule though, so I probably won't be going back anytime soon.

Yeah, I did they just gave me the standard we gotta pay rent excuse, which I can understand but there's not much more reason for me to go back when I can get the games online for cheaper.

I did manage snag Goldeneye for a few bucks below the average price so there's that. That was just the exception to the rule though, so I probably won't be going back anytime soon.

It can be tough but you can still find some deals. Especially if a game spikes, you may be able to get it before they update their prices. Overall though, I agree and I hate seeing stacks of games over eBay prices in way worse condition (seriously feel sorry for a lot of those dirty carts). I grabbed the Stunt Racer 64 cart (for a third of eBay) and it had stickers under the most recent one that went back 10 years. I guess they ended up getting more out of it though.

I know :)
That's why I cited those games.

I wondered but thought you may have just posted a couple racing games you preferred.

Cedric

Recently decided I would try and obtain some classic 64 games that I never had. I would like to build a basic "must haves" collection for my 64... but good lord what the hell is up with these prices? Conker's bad fur day is up there in the games I'd like to obtain, but holy shit this games goes for like thousands of dollars! Also looking out for Paper Mario and Banjo Tooie, both of which aren't too cheap either. Any chance these prices will go down in the future?

Any chance these prices will go down in the future?

Lol no.

Hit up Japanese games. The most expensive thing I bought earlier this year was Smash Bros for a whopping 900 yen, everything else 300 yen or less, and I have virtually every hit on the system outside of Goldeneye (the JP version of that is rarer and more expensive). Ebay prices are a bit more, but instead of paying top dollar for Banjo Tooie you can find Banjo to Kazooie no Daibouken 2 for <$10 USD on ebay.

Top Bottom