• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Party (aka The Folder Incident) (bka Backstabbo in the Cabo)

Dont be wuss folder. Own the fuck up to this shit. If you suck you suck. Dont worry, we already knew you sucked. Not a real shocker.

AirBrian

Matlock said:
And clarinets up asses!
Here you go...

glovelatexpolicy%20-%201.gif

aoi tsuki said:
Yeah, i can't remember the site, but there was one guy that went by Viper that (IIRC) posted a story about him being a fatass who didn't pay child support and some other bits. i don't remember if it was because Fernando "sold out" or in response to something else, but it was complelety unnecessary and slanderous, and contained personal info. Most if not all of the "editors" of the offending site were only in it for the free games as they had become an affiliate with a major network at the time. The only Sega fansite community was pretty peaceful, held together by the people who were diehard Sega fans. It took everybody by surprise that people could be such assholes, especially to a guy (from what we knew) provided one of the best damned Sega sites around with SegaNet.

I'm the one that was previously known as Viper around here and other parts. Just so you know, I never wrote that or even knew Fernando. I was so young that I barely even remember the circumstances around that debacle, except for it was the handiwork of Lee Rogers, who used to run those sites that I worked for. There was the possibility that it was published under my name, but I don't even think that was the case, either. Lee wasn't a bad guy at all in person, he just came across as a dick online and he did a few bad things which I'm sure he regrets.

Seth was right. I was a bit of a know-it-all dick, but hey, I was 17 at the time. However, like some of the other people that I worked with, I truly did what I did because I truly loved (and love) games. I already got all the free game time that I wanted through my job at EB, and writing was just for the love of it.

Seth is a friend of mine, a really cool guy, and I'm sorry I missed out on E3 this year. Business called, though, and I could not get a week off. And I'm sorry to anyone who still thinks badly of me, even 7-8 years later, for something that I was a part of.

I miss the old Sega and GEO boards. Those were the days. There are so many people working in the video game industry that came from that pool...

ohamsie

I'm starting to think we aren't going to get much more of a response from folder than that. He has probably taken it to PMs.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BuddyC said:
No kidding.

See Buddy has made his peace with Folder.

So back to the status quo people... Folder is sorta ok... but Spong still sucks...

shoo... shoo... disperse... nothing to see here....

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DarienA said:
See Buddy has made his piece with Folder.

So back to the status quo people... Folder is sorta ok... but Spong still sucks...

nuh uh

DarienA said:
See Buddy has made his piece with Folder.

WE WANT BLOOOD!!!

skip

as I see it, this isn't a private matter between BuddyC, prince among men, and Folder, douchebag extraordinaire. he got all GAF E3 attendees excited about a nintendo-sponsored drinkfest, and then very shadily bailed at the last minute. you're all owed a public explanation, and if necessary, an apology.

duckroll

skip said:
as I see it, this isn't a private matter between BuddyC, prince among men, and Folder, douchebag extraordinaire. he got all GAF E3 attendees excited about a nintendo-sponsored drinkfest, and then very shadily bailed at the last minute. you're all owed a public explanation, and if necessary, an apology.

It shouldn't be a PRIVATE matter, it should be SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT! :lol

venbuddy2cp.jpg

MC Safety

ourumov said:
Sure at the end all was product of a stupid confussion. Like to think that bars are free on monday...

Actually, I suspect it was more like the guy lied to make himself seem more important by promising Nintendo would pay for a party and then just didn't show up, making up another lie (or series of lies) to cover his tracks.

It's not like the guy doesn't do it every day on his Web site.

And if he wants to solve the matter privately, that's fine. If he wants to salvage even a sliver of his crappy reputation, he can make amends publicly.

jett

D-Member
So, along with being a liar and all-around idiot, Folder is also a coward. What an impressive reputation this guy has built up!

BuddyC

Had it been possible to resolve this privately, I would have attempted to do so. With the way this forum is, and given the amount of people that already knew portions of the story, I felt it better to make sure everyone was on the same page than to let the rumors run rampant.

Matlock

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Every E3 reveals its new dumb person. Anyone remember Nintendojo haha. Course that guy probably woulda shown up for his own event.

2001? - Nintendojo guy
2004 -Link
2005- Folder

let's fill in the blanks

Teddman

I'm not ever going to be able to drive down the Sunset Strip past the Cabo Cantina without thinking about this. :lol

ourumov

Anyways...How much were you in total ?
300$ for a few drinks it's quite a big ammount of money...Either the drinks were pretty expensive or perhaps we should rename the forums to Alcoholic-Age.

ourumov said:
Anyways...How much were you in total ?
300$ for a few drinks it's quite a big ammount of money...Either the drinks were pretty expensive or perhaps we should rename the forums to Alcoholic-Age.

drinks are VERY expensive. even more than good ol' SF. another reason why I'd never move to LA

Teddman

Drinks were like $4 for a beer, $6 for a mixed drink, maybe a bit more. They weren't really that bad for the Sunset Strip, primo tourist territory. I remember distinctly that two shots of tequila, a shot of Jack Daniels, and a shot of vodka only came to $20.

Teddman said:
Drinks were like $4 for a beer, $6 for a mixed drink, maybe a bit more. They weren't really that bad for the Sunset Strip, primo tourist territory. I remember distinctly that two shots of tequila, a shot of Jack Daniels, and a shot of vodka only came to $20.

That's pretty damn good, especially looking at the first round damage at the Standard, haha... but if you call stuff like I do, I'm looking at $8-$10 a shot, easy.

A few years ago when I was at e3 I got a double of Jagermeister in an LA bar. It was $14. And that was the last time I ever bought a drink in LA.

Teddman

WasabiKing said:
That's pretty damn good, especially looking at the first round damage at the Standard, haha... but if you call stuff like I do, I'm looking at $8-$10 a shot, easy.
Yeah, we were calling Cuervo and Smirnoff. But they answered the phone just fine that night! :lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
MomoPufflet said:
A few years ago when I was at e3 I got a double of Jagermeister in an LA bar. It was $14. And that was the last time I ever bought a drink in LA.

For those of us who have been cityslickers our entire lives, how much is that in the "real" world? ;)

Teddman said:
Yeah, we were calling Cuervo and Smirnoff. But they answered the phone just fine that night! :lol

Ah, bro, what did I tell you at the ZD party? You gotta graduate from that college stuff and step up to the big leagues! Patron and Grey Goose!

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
Sorry to hear about the stiffing, Buddy C. Generally, when a guy tries to collect money from a group for drinks or meals, either he gets lots of 20s and gets more than the total cost or he gets stiffed. Rarely do people get the exact amount, so if you came out ahead (assuming you tried to collect from everyone), it wouldn't be profiting; any extra money collected would just be thought of as a service charge for the hassle, if you know what I mean. Either way, you're a class act for picking up the tab.

Teddman

WasabiKing said:
Ah, bro, what did I tell you at the ZD party? You gotta graduate from that college stuff and step up to the big leagues! Patron and Grey Goose!
Oh yeah, at home or open bar I always drink higher-rent stuff. But remember, we all came expecting free drinks and ended up buying rounds at the end...

duckroll

capcomcrossexam0es.jpg

junkwaffle said:
Sorry to hear about the stiffing, Buddy C. Generally, when a guy tries to collect money from a group for drinks or meals, either he gets lots of 20s and gets more than the total cost or he gets stiffed. Rarely do people get the exact amount, so if you came out ahead (assuming you tried to collect from everyone), you wouldn't be profiting, and any extra money collected would just could just think of as a service charge for the hassle, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, while we're lynching Folder, I'd like to air out a little story about Folder and me, which kind of ends like Buddy C's. Some of you may recall a thread started by Agent Dormer entitled: So, I'm taking a course this semester - "Writing About Video Games". I contributed a cartoon with an old fat wrinkley lady teaching her class about the finer points of beating ho's in GTA, which seemed to go over pretty nicely. Actually, it was this one:
1jkf80

Rather quickly, Folder posted this comment:

(Interestingly, Blimblim immediately added: "It's a trap !") Anyway, I did PM him, and we emailed back and forth for a while discussing that I might contribute some stuff to SponG if things worked out (free of charge...but with the promise of exposure and free games! OMG! ) He even had me create a drawing about Kutaragi making the usual exalted claims that Sony likes to make about new hardware. So I made this:
1om2vm

...which I held off from posting here until I realized that things weren't working out with Folder. I know the drawing isn't great, but hey, it's a freebie. Anyway, having submitted this drawing along with a list of links to almost every one of the drawings I posted at GAF, I waited for a reply. And I waited. And waited. And wai.... well, you get the idea.

I emailed him a few times trying to at least get some resolution, but the last time he wrote back, he merely said that he hadn't gotten in touch with his boss or something. After a while, he didn't even bother to email back to me even if I emailed him, telling him that it was okay if things didn't work out, that I just wanted a little resolution with it. I felt disrespected, if you can see that.

Well, that's it. To this day, I've not heard from him. My last email to him was over a month ago, where I only said:

He seems like a nice enough guy. I can't account for it, really. But, whatever his problem, it sure didn't stop him from offering me "a job" like he was some kind of big shot.

Yes, as Matt said, the GEO days were really fun. I miss it and Maniac Gaming and Zero Gravity and I would miss Sega Otaku too but I didn't get into Dreamcast until way late. These days message boards have too many people and gaming sites all pretty much suck(even the big ones). Gaming mags suck now too, I miss Next Generation big time.

Teddman said:
Oh yeah, at home or open bar I always drink higher-rent stuff. But remember, we all came expecting free drinks and ended up buying rounds at the end...

Hehe, even at open bar, I will ask for it and pay the premium, but it does make sense. Hey, I'm a booze snob, can't help it...

TheDiave

Banned
Socreges said:
Listen, Folder can treat people like shit because his wife is hot. That's how the world works.
And if she's hot and he's a jackass, that means he's either loaded or swinging timber. Either way, when a better deal comes along, she'll be gone. That's also how the world works. :lol

xsarien said:
For those of us who have been cityslickers our entire lives, how much is that in the "real" world? ;)

Almost twice as much as I was used to paying. When I ordered that drink my friend said "dude, have you ever been to LA?" :lol

Top Bottom