• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Since I saw this thread got bumped...Was just mentioning that we might see the GTA4 DLC for 360 tomorrow. I imagine if it's going to be shown, Microsoft would want it in their conference.

Im very much considering selling this game to a friend if there is no word on the DLC sometime soon...very soon. Ive had it since release but I havent really played it much since I beat the Story a couple months ago. There were a few good missions here and there but most of them were just way to repetitive and it felt like a chore to go through all of them...to me atleast. Vice City still remains my favorite GTA to this day.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, I've played the game for just twenty minutes yesterday at a friend of mine, I have yo say I was fucking stunned at how the framerate chugged even when I wasn't unleashing hell in the streets. I didn't see much framerate backfire around here, so I guess it's a problem with the settings maybe? Is there a patch that fixes it, there's a problem with my friend's PS3 (the fans were as loud as a turbo jet reaching MACH3) or that's just the way it is with the game?
Can't believe the latter would be the case since:
a) it's definitely worst than PS2's San Andreas
b) the internet would've made much more fuss about it

Still, its going to be the first game I get when I buy a Ps3 again (in September I guess).

Dabanton

gnarkill bill said:
Im very much considering selling this game to a friend if there is no word on the DLC sometime soon...very soon. Ive had it since release but I havent really played it much since I beat the Story a couple months ago. There were a few good missions here and there but most of them were just way to repetitive and it felt like a chore to go through all of them...to me atleast. Vice City still remains my favorite GTA to this day.

Do you play MP?

Barso

Banned
I was playing GTA4 on 360 and comparing it to PS3, I am not trying to start a flamewar but why does the 360 version have dithering on the textures?
Is this a bug in the software or the hardware?
I have not seen it in any other games.

Maggot9

Banned
Barso said:
I was playing GTA4 on 360 and comparing it to PS3, I am not trying to start a flamewar but why does the 360 version have dithering on the textures?
Is this a bug in the software or the hardware?
I have not seen it in any other games.
fuck i dunno. why'd you bump this thread to ask that? post that shit on GameFAQS

Goldrusher

100% !

Playing time: 72:36:43
Longest non-stop game: 05:20:54

Days passed: 152
Times cheated: 0
Loved it.
About the ending...
Very unexpected. Poor Kate. Then again, after I finished the game, I Googled the different endings and the other one is even more shocking... Then it's Roman who dies.

Great game. And for once, the 100% list wasn't too hard. How I hated the motorbike checkpoint stunt thingies in the previous games.
Only Stevie's car thefts were getting a bit boring near the end. There were too many, one at a time (just give me the full list) and with only one garage in a corner of the map, delivery feels repetitive.

Mister E

So I have two saves in this game, one with each ending and I was wondering which would be best for going for 100%. I was just wondering if anyone mentions anything about the end results when you hang out with them.

if you stick with the revenge ending and you hang out with Packie later does he ever bring up Kate. Or if you do deal and hang out with Jacob or Brucie do they ever mention Roman?

karasu

I got the game yesterday and I'm almost ten hours in. I'm not utterly bored, but I can't say that I'm having fun either(Yes, games need to be fun. fuck you.)Do the missions ever move past car chases/motorycle chases etc?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
karasu said:
I got the game yesterday and I'm almost ten hours in. I'm not utterly bored, but I can't say that I'm having fun either(Yes, games need to be fun. fuck you.)Do the missions ever move past car chases/motorycle chases etc?
Oh yes.

Twig

Banned
karasu said:
Yes. For a bit. Then they revert back to the usual. Then you get another awesome mission or two.

There are far more repetitive chase missions than there are totally awesome fucking badass missions.

I'd say it's worth suffering through the shit to get to the shine. But that's just me. :)

karasu said:

No. Not really.

Sean

Banned
karasu said:

Not really, nope. Probably like 90% (or more) of the missions involve car chases and it continues up until the very end.

Mission variety is sorely lacking, and there's really only a handful of standout missions.

90% car chases? Jeez, I felt it was more like 30% car chases at the very most.

GAF seems to have particularly bad taste when it comes to this game... :lol

karasu

This game pisses me off. It's going back. It seems really open an all, but there has to be more to do than driving around listening to music. Jesus.

Zertez

MS sent me an email the other day saying I won a free year of Live Gold from the GTA4 sweepstakes. I forgot all about entering, but now I will be thinking about GTA4 all year when I log on :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
RadarScope1 said:
Dude - I'm feeling the same way. The game infuriates the hell out of me, and I'm only about halfway through it. I cannot fucking stand replaying through the mundane parts of missions when it's the parts at the very end tripping me up. The chase missions are beyond old at this point. I'm fighting the controls the whole way. The story is spread WAY too thin -- give us 4 or 5 great characters rather than 45 paper-thin ones.

I just have too much other shit to do and too little time to play games in my life to keep replaying this shit that pisses me off. Bottom line is I feel like this game is simply wasting my time about 2/3 of the time I play it. That's now how this is supposed to work ... I want to finish it just to see it through and because of all the hype, but I don't know if I can do it.

bigmakstudios, since you seem to feel (or felt) the same way, I want to ask: I'm at the UL Paper missions. Does it get any better? Is there anything besides "chase" and "kill" after this? Do you really feel it was worth finishing?

When you fail more than once, or twice - give it up and do something else. Go do vigilante missions - whatever. Change it up. I've found that works for me. I'm on the very last mission of the game, but I don't think I ever was as frustrated as you are.

Also, I've found some missions are just impossible without auto aim. I have had to cave and turn it on at times.

karasu said:
This game pisses me off. It's going back. It seems really open an all, but there has to be more to do than driving around listening to music. Jesus.

Dude, seriously. Weed + GTAIV = Infinite Potential.

You'll notice and try shit that you never would have otherwise thought of.

disappeared said:
Dude, seriously. Weed + GTAIV = Infinite Potential.

You'll notice and try shit that you never would have otherwise thought of.

I LOVE getting stoned and playing this game.... the satire itself is fucking priceless when your baked :lol

Anyone else still plugging hours into this game? I have had it since launch, still haven't beating it, and I play atleast three times a week. I guess I just keep having to much fun within the city itself :) :)

I'm still playing this game, and I beat it ages ago. Still going through just doing random shit, mainly trying to get the achievements. The amazing bit is.... I'm having fun. I had fun playing this game, a lot of fun.

I can understand some of the criticisms I've heard, but the GAF hive mind seems to want to take things to extremes. Seriously, if you're not having any fun at all, go play something else. If I watch a really fucking bad movie, I stop watching it.

Ploid 3.0

nelkon and parker said:
I'm still playing this game, and I beat it ages ago. Still going through just doing random shit, mainly trying to get the achievements. The amazing bit is.... I'm having fun. I had fun playing this game, a lot of fun.

I can understand some of the criticisms I've heard, but the GAF hive mind seems to want to take things to extremes. Seriously, if you're not having any fun at all, go play something else. If I watch a really fucking bad movie, I stop watching it.

Done after the first week, with a bit of attempts at discovering fun in between. It served a purpose for me though. I now know that I should only buy a suspicious game thats tried and tested for a few weeks by gaf, because I can't sell games for anything in my location. Well unless I pay for a premium paypal account. I say suspicious game because the talk of making it smaller than gta sa, with no planes, and dlc to "get the Full GTA4 experience" raised my brow quite a bit.

Pimpbaa

Zero_Phoenix said:
90% car chases? Jeez, I felt it was more like 30% car chases at the very most.

GAF seems to have particularly bad taste when it comes to this game... :lol

Popular game = GAF will look for any little flaw to exaggerate out of proportion and decide the game is shit.

Obscure or unpopular game = GAF will overlook massive flaws and consider the game a must buy.

Pimpbaa said:
Popular game = GAF will look for any little flaw to exaggerate out of proportion and decide the game is shit.

Obscure or unpopular game = GAF will overlook massive flaws and consider the game a must buy.

Seventh game in a series = point out all the ways the game is worse than the previous ones.

Unique and innovative game = overlook some flaws because it's the only way you get to experience this.

Won

Looks like I finally got an email regarding the 100% reward. Anyone else got it? Didn't follow the thread so maybe I'm a bit LTTP here. ^^

Won

So it is real...good....now I need to find a way to get the damn thing in my country. Don't even understand why it isn't listed. :(

i beat finally the PS3 version and my impressions are positiv. it's not the best GTA on the market (the best is GTA Vice City).
but what i realize after beating - maybe in 5 years we will get the GTA4 graphics on a handhelt, maybe PSP2. impressive^^

newsguy

Well, I remain one of the few who thinks this game is awesome. And what do you know, it's the game that keeps on giving!

Congratulations! As the official judging organization for the Xbox LIVE GTA IV Promotion, it is our pleasure to inform you that you have been selected as a Fourth Prize winner!

Your prize is 1000 Microsoft Points!

I don't think I've ever won shit (of course I never really apply for any contests). Now to find a great XBLA game!

GriffD17

Got my e-mail the other day too. Sent in a scan, unfortunately I had to send to images, so hopefully they won't have too much of a problem with that.

Congrats newsguy, I'd hit up Geo Wars 2 or Soul Calibur.

newsguy

Chao said:
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 is all you need from XBLA

Thanks for the suggestions. I was really hoping I could find something my GF would enjoy, but it's geo wars 2, who am I kidding.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I have a question about the ending missions, how do I advance the story from where i am...
I just did the Draco Brevich mission called "That Special Someone" and I let him live. I know this can't be the final mission, and I don't see any mission giver icons on the map except for the "Assassin" missions from the pay phone. How do I get to the next story mission?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
sykoex said:
I have a question about the ending missions, how do I advance the story from where i am...
I just did the Draco Brevich mission called "That Special Someone" and I let him live. I know this can't be the final mission, and I don't see any mission giver icons on the map except for the "Assassin" missions from the pay phone. How do I get to the next story mission?

Don't worry, something will come up eventually.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Dr_Cogent said:
Don't worry, something will come up eventually.
The last time I played I got a call from Packie complaining about me not killing or kidnapping an Italian girl. I have no idea what he's talking about. Will something still come up?

MMaRsu

Banned
sykoex said:
The last time I played I got a call from Packie complaining about me not killing or kidnapping an Italian girl. I have no idea what he's talking about. Will something still come up?

Yes you need to kidnap the italian girl. Go onto the internet and look for a car selling website. She's selling the pink car.

I didn't win shit. Further, despite 100%ing before the deadline, I never got an email from the Key to the City contest (and Kotaku said the winners had been notified.)

I think the problem might have been that after 100%ing, I started a new save, and my social club page still says I'm only 43% done. The whole thing is stupid, and I'm a little bitter (can you tell?)

Whatever. Way to over promise and under deliver, Rockstar.

raYne

Revengeance said:
I didn't win shit. Further, despite 100%ing before the deadline, I never got an email from the Key to the City contest (and Kotaku said the winners had been notified.)

I think the problem might have been that after 100%ing, I started a new save, and my social club page still says I'm only 43% done. The whole thing is stupid, and I'm a little bitter (can you tell?)

Whatever. Way to over promise and under deliver, Rockstar.
The whole Social Club thing has been pretty terrible.

Calcaneus

Just finished the game, twas awesome. GOTY so far.

Its kinda surprising the kind of backlash this game is getting. I think it had a lot to do with the media, but we can't just blame them. These boards exploded with GTAIV in the months leading up to release, there was no way it could live up to the hype it got around here.

I guess I was lucky, I had no interest in getting this game. One day my cousin just decides to impulse buy it, and even after we started playing it, I was scoffing at the reviews it was getting. Guess I missed the hype train.

I'll admit it has problems: way too many chase missions, no mission checkpoints, the game gets pretty slow after you do the Playboy X missions. But I felt the pace picked up near the end, and I'd say the game had a pretty satsifying end missions.

Overall, I'd say the great parts totally outweighs the boring ones. The game is great, this is actually the first GTA I felt any interest in completing, and I'm glad I did. It may not be a transcendent experience, but shame on you for expecting it to be.

kylej

Banned
Sent in my 100% key thingy via regular mail. With my luck the letter will get lost and end up at Rockstar 10 months from now.

Finished this about one week ago. My completion percent is somethin around 63%... so what the hell I'm missing? I have done few hitman missions and couple car races. I hate those Jakobs delivery missions...lol.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
so finally got around to buying and clocking GTA4 (i know i'm rather late).

overall it was very enjoyable.

i've only read the last page or two but i agree with most of the posts

things i personally disliked were:

1) the Mobile phone screen was Far Far Far Far too small. Very often, especially with the older phone, i had to get up and stand like a metre away from my TV to simply read a text message. however, this was probably due to me just having a SDTV.

2) the cover system was at times frustrating and stuck me behind every object but the one i wanted.

things i liked:

Taxis. my god these were a life saver. i didnt realise you could use them for the first half of the game but once i learnt i never looked back :D

i_am_ben said:
1) the Mobile phone screen was Far Far Far Far too small. Very often, especially with the older phone, i had to get up and stand like a metre away from my TV to simply read a text message. however, this was probably due to me just having a SDTV.

Were you playing the PS3 version on a SD TV? I found the text on the phone to be unreadable when I did. When I played it on my 360 I could read it with ease from my couch.

I think my settings were off or something on my PS3 or they just didn't give a shit about people with older TVs.

Top Bottom