• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
starchild excalibur said:
Were you playing the PS3 version on a SD TV? I found the text on the phone to be unreadable when I did. When I played it on my 360 I could read it with ease from my couch.

I think my settings were off or something on my PS3 or they just didn't give a shit about people with older TVs.
I think it just depends on the TV. Despite being hooked up by composite, I could see all the text fine on my large SDTV playing the PS3 version.

I do know that Criterion recently put out an update that improved SD rendering for Burnout Paradise on PS3. They mentioned that the 360 version didn't need this because the hardware scales automatically or something.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Were you playing the PS3 version on a SD TV? I found the text on the phone to be unreadable when I did. When I played it on my 360 I could read it with ease from my couch.

I think my settings were off or something on my PS3 or they just didn't give a shit about people with older TVs.

yep PS3.

Struct09

The PS3 version is rendered at a lower internal resolution, and I believe that's why the text isn't as clear. You don't notice the lower resolution in the game environment as much, especially because they're adding filters/effects/etc, but it's more obvious with things such as text.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I started playing the story mode for a second time. Instead of taking my time and whatnot I plan on rushing my way through as fast as I can so that I can experience the story as seemless as possible. The first time I played the game I took frequent breaks from the story and by the time I got to the end I just didn't give a shit about any of the characters or situations.

I'm about 8 hours in and just past halfway and already I like the story/characters more than my last playthrough. I'm also abusing taxis and cheats like crazy. It actually really makes it a lot more fun when you don't have to drive from your safehouse to the gun store to buy guns/body armor and then drive to the mission. Cuts out a lot of needless driving, which is beneficial for my limited free time. I can complete about 4 missions in the time it used to take me to finish 1. The game is still incredibly fun though : )

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Zoso said:
I started playing the story mode for a second time. Instead of taking my time and whatnot I plan on rushing my way through as fast as I can so that I can experience the story as seemless as possible. The first time I played the game I took frequent breaks from the story and by the time I got to the end I just didn't give a shit about any of the characters or situations.

I'm about 8 hours in and just past halfway and already I like the story/characters more than my last playthrough. I'm also abusing taxis and cheats like crazy. It actually really makes it a lot more fun when you don't have to drive from your safehouse to the gun store to buy guns/body armor and then drive to the mission. Cuts out a lot of needless driving, which is beneficial for my limited free time. I can complete about 4 missions in the time it used to take me to finish 1. The game is still incredibly fun though : )

taxis are a godsend! i didnt realise you could use then till about half way through but boy did i make up for lost time :D i also like the fact you dont lose your guns when you die

TeTr1C

I still pop this one in every once in a while. It'll never get old. I'm slowly playing the story through again too (with cheats this time).

Finally got around to finishing this today on account of calling out of work sick. For all the crap you have to trudge through I'd say it's definitely worth playing. Next up is 100% hahaha, anyone want to do any co-op missions online?

GT: ReaganStein

aries_71

I'm trying to finish GTA IV, though I find the experience a little bit frustrating. Under my point of view, many of the game mechanics are a total failure. The social life missions to keep the friends happy are stressing me out. The chase mission are repetitive. Sure, there are gems in it, but are few and far between.

I just exited the game with disgust, after trying the "Paper Trail" mission for the tenth time, and failing it in less than one minute. This mission is really souring my view of the game. Controlling the hello is a hellish experice, far from entertaining. Your are supposed to chase another helo, at night, with bad weather, among buildings. Sounds like fun? Give it a whirl and you'll see.

Goldrusher

I won !

23ifakk.jpg

Game progress: 60%
Missions passed: 94
Current money: $668993 -> got a trophy for having $500,000 too
Playing time: 12:11:00 -> and the trophy for story mode under 30 hours

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
From IGN Review:

"I won't go so far as to say that GTA IV is the best multiplayer out there, but it's definitely among the best."

:lol

"Grand Theft Auto III was a revolutionary title, one that inspired a whole new generation of 3D action games. Grand Theft Auto IV is just as big a leap forward, though perhaps in subtler ways, and sets a new benchmark for open-world games."

:lol :lol

"GTA IV has some issues, the most noticeable being the occasional flaw in the cover system", "The cover and targeting system work great."

:lol :lol :lol

"The story is Oscar quality"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol ... :|

And the biggest joke of them all (These are all from the last page):

"Everything works in harmony and not a single one of the missions is bad."

"not a single one of the missions is bad"

... -_-

I had some fun with this game (not nearly as much as in San Andreas), don't get me wrong, but jeez what were these reviewers playing that I wasn't.

Ploid 3.0

Black_Ice said:
From IGN Review:
"Grand Theft Auto III was a revolutionary title, one that inspired a whole new generation of 3D action games. Grand Theft Auto IV is just as big a leap forward, though perhaps in subtler ways, and sets a new benchmark for open-world games."

:lol :lol

Subtle Beauty!

And the biggest joke of them all (These are all from the last page):

"Everything works in harmony and not a single one of the missions is bad."

"not a single one of the missions is bad"

... -_-

I had some fun with this game (not nearly as much as in San Andreas), don't get me wrong, but jeez what were these reviewers playing that I wasn't.

Same here. I still have my San Andreas and managed to find someone that would take GTA4 off my hands finally. +$20 for me! Poor guy got ripped off (cousin).

Goldrusher

Septimus said:
Does activating cheats ruin your chances for certain achievements/trophies?
Some. Such as the ones giving you health, armor and weapons as well as reducing / getting rid of wanted stars.

You can however spawn a Comet or an NRG if you want. Which can be useful for the stunt jumps.
Spawning a chopper isn't allowed though.

Also, DO NOT respond negatively to any e-mails you get from friends. That destroyed my chances of getting the 90% friendship trophy. :(

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Blader5489 said:
Where the hell is the DLC? I loved the game (probably the only one here who does) and I want more!
I loved it as well, still do.

Some people just had too high expectations and believed the ridiculous reviews, consequently they felt fucked when they saw the game wasn't all that.

Some people ~> 95% of GAF

Struct09

Blader5489 said:
Where the hell is the DLC? I loved the game (probably the only one here who does) and I want more!

I loved the game too, and can't wait for the DLC, but after all the recently released games I don't mind if it comes in 2009. I'm so busy playing Gears 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, RB2, GHWT, and soon to be L4D that I can wait a little longer for the DLC to come out.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I still play this game periodically, still working on my 100%. Last time I played I finished killing all 200 pigeons. Man, that was exhausting. There is no way anybody could ever find all of those on their own. I think I'm around 85% and I'm not really sure what else I have to do. Probably all the social stuff(which I am NOT looking forward to =/ ). I've been ignoring everybody ever since I finished the story, so they all probably like me 30% or something.

Oozer3993

Got my Key to the City today:

(Please excuse the horrible quality of the pics, I have no normal digital camera at my disposal at the moment)

It's swanky case:

jj4evb.jpg

It's one of those soft jewelry boxes. Pretty high quality for something that's free.

Inside:

32zltmc.jpg

There's an inset for the key and the Rockstar logo is on the top inverse, embossed in some sort of faux satin.

Just the key:

2ebr193.jpg

Next to my iPod Touch and a quarter for scale. The key is some kind of molded metal.

It came with a little note:

2emd4kp.jpg

And just cause I can, the whole kit and kaboodle.:

nlzx4l.png

BakedPigeon said:
Nice... that is a pretty neat collectible. WTF is the DLC :lol

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171210

"It's going well. But we don't know a date," Houser explained. "We hope to be announcing that in the next few weeks. We're still figuring out a few things. We're more focused on quality than dates, always have been. But the development is going really good. It's shaping up to be something we're very proud of. That was our goal."

Houser also attempted to temper expectations a bit, explaining that the DLC packs won't deliver an impossibly enormous amount of content. "We want to give people a rough idea so their expectations are roughly in line. We don't want them to imagine it's this enormous thing that it can never be," Houser said (so what, that means no entirely new cities, then?). "Doing a big digital launch is something we've never done before. It's virgin territory, but at the same time, we feel very exposed because there's no case history. No one ever came out with major DLC for a major game like this before. It's new territory for everybody. We're making it up a little bit as we go along. That's always fun, but it makes you nervous."

is this game worth 20 bucks? I saw it at my local pawn shop.... but am curiously resistant to buying, even though I have played and loved every GTA since the series first installment.

Anyone?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
straydog1980 said:
is this game worth 20 bucks? I saw it at my local pawn shop.... but am curiously resistant to buying, even though I have played and loved every GTA since the series first installment.

Anyone?

What? Of course it's worth 20 bucks!

Beaulieu

straydog1980 said:

Anyone?

fuck yes.

Chris R

Are PS3 trophies the exact same as the 360 ones? Started a game over to a) actually finish the game this time and to b) get all the trophies :lol

Top Bottom