• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Zen 3 with Ryzen 5000 reveal thread

smbu2000

So whats the difference between a X570 and B550?

From what I saw it seemed that basically X570 supported PCIE4.0 But I have seen some B550's that support it as well.
Differences are listed on this page:

https://www.build-gaming-computers.com/b550-vs-x570.html

In addition to what Ascend mentioned earlier, support for Ryzen 2000 CPUs might also be helpful for some.

I sold my friend my old Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard (after I upgraded to the Aorus X570 Xtreme) and he has been using it with the 2700X that he was using with his old system, until he upgrades to a 5000 series CPU.
I've read that some B550 boards do work on the 2000 series, but it is not officially listed as supported on the AMD B550 site.

5600x scores have shown up on PassMark. Highest single thread performance ever recorded and multi-thread performance is on par with the 3700x, despite having two fewer cores.

2-1080.b92fbde7.jpg

This is going to be out of stock for months on end with performance like that...

PhoenixTank

So, you don't think that upgrading from a 3950X to a 5950X for gaming at 4K is worth doing? How about 1440p with 120 frames per second as the target?
Go back a page and check the video I posted - a 3600 keeps up with a 3080 at 4K right now.
1440p high refresh is not so cut and dry. Same video has results for 1440p. Pretend the 10900K results are ballpark figures for the 5950X.
You'll see that there are gains to be had, but it really depends on the game.

The 5950X will be a video editing champion, though. Improved single thread performance on top of previously leading consumer multithread will cement that position across the various video workloads now, I'd have thought.
If you are doing this for work, it may be easier to write off the $799 - Could move the 3950X to a secondary render box too.
That said don't let yourself get FOMO'd into buying one, unless your 3950X is not actually performing as well as you'd like. I'll be waiting for the dust to settle.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Go back a page and check the video I posted - a 3600 keeps up with a 3080 at 4K right now.
1440p high refresh is not so cut and dry. Same video has results for 1440p. Pretend the 10900K results are ballpark figures for the 5950X.
You'll see that there are gains to be had, but it really depends on the game.

The 5950X will be a video editing champion, though. Improved single thread performance on top of previously leading consumer multithread will cement that position across the various video workloads now, I'd have thought.
If you are doing this for work, it may be easier to write off the $799 - Could move the 3950X to a secondary render box too.
That said don't let yourself get FOMO'd into buying one, unless your 3950X is not actually performing as well as you'd like. I'll be waiting for the dust to settle.

I asked because I just recently upgraded from an i7-5820K to an R9 3950X as a result of an emergency that would have left me without a functioning computer. My original plan was to wait until the 5950X was released to upgrade, but unforseen circumstances rendered that plan moot.

I have fifteen days to return the 3950X, and the release date of the 5950X is the second to last day of that return period. So, my current plan is to conduct an exchange and pay the difference; however, that's not a guaranteed outcome given that demand for the new chip may make it hard for me to get one in time.

I just wanted to know whether or not I'd be missing out much if this new plan fails.

Ascend

Good to know, because if I can't manage to get a 5950X on its release day or the day after, which are the last two days on which I can return my 3950X, I won't feel bad.

Oh, by the way, doesn't the 5950X have significantly less latency due to being comprised of less CCXs (2 vs 4)? That won't affect gaming at 4K significantly?
The CCX will mainly come into play when cores from two different CCX modules are accessed. At 4K the leniency on the GPU is much heavier that the CCX difference is not noticed. There are a handful of games where it might make a difference. But for 95+% of games, it won't matter at all.

PhoenixTank

I asked because I just recently upgraded from an i7-5820K to an R9 3950X as a result of an emergency that would have left me without a functioning computer. My original plan was to wait until the 5950X was released to upgrade, but unforseen circumstances rendered that plan moot.

I have fifteen days to return the 3950X, and the release date of the 5950X is the second to last day of that return period. So, my current plan is to conduct an exchange and pay the difference; however, that's not a guaranteed outcome given that demand for the new chip may make it hard for me to get one in time.

I just wanted to know whether or not I'd be missing out much if this new plan fails.
Going the other way round, could you exchange the 3950X for a cheaper chip and get a refund for the difference? Perhaps a 3300X (if available at a sane price) to hold you over on the gaming side until you can source a 5950X.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Going the other way round, could you exchange the 3950X for a cheaper chip and get a refund for the difference? Perhaps a 3300X (if available at a sane price) to hold you over on the gaming side until you can source a 5950X.
I don't want to do that. I'd just keep the 3950X if I can't get a 5950X before the end of the return period and I'd use a 5950X for a second build whenever I can get one, since I have both a 3080 and a 3090. I'd use both builds to benchmark hardware and make reviews.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I don't want to do that. I'd just keep the 3950X if I can't get a 5950X before the end of the return period and I'd use a 5950X for a second build whenever I can get one, since I have both a 3080 and a 3090. I'd use both builds to benchmark hardware and make reviews.
Fair enough - I did suggest along those lines with a second system.

McHuj

Has there been any communication about the exact time of day the processors will go on sale in NA?

it doesn’t look like either Amazon or Newegg have product pages up yet.

dave_d

I wonder how bad the stock situation will be? :messenger_expressionless:
I'm wondering the same thing as well. I'm just hoping if the bench marks really are as good as we've heard that BestBuy at least gets some locally. (I mean in theory I can take a 50 minute trip to go to Microcenter but that means going into Cambridge and Cambridge is a dump.)

SLESS

5600x scores have shown up on PassMark. Highest single thread performance ever recorded and multi-thread performance is on par with the 3700x, despite having two fewer cores.

2-1080.b92fbde7.jpg

This is amazing, I was planning on grabbing the 5800x but might go for 5600x and put the extra money towards a GPU (Green/Red I am undecided on GPU). Does any one here think the 5600x will become a gaming bottleneck anytime soon?

GymWolf

I dont think it will anytime soon.
6 cores without ht maybe, but not a cpu with 6/12.
But what if devs start to develop games around the 8 core on consolles?!

This is the only doubt i have on buying another 6 core cpu after my 8600k.

Why the fuck sony and M have a 8 core cpu inside their console if nobody is gonna use it?? These cpu are gonna be the baseline for everything for the next 6-8 years...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Why the fuck sony and M have a 8 core cpu inside their console if nobody is gonna use it?? These cpu are gonna be the baseline for everything for the next 6-8 years...
PS4 and Xbox One also used 8 core CPUs and that didn’t translate to any advantage for 8 core CPUs on the PC side.

Bottom line is that most of the time you will be GPU limited at 1440p and beyond, and to the extent that CPU makes a difference, single-threaded performance will be the key factor.

Cpu inside the consoles have lower clocks and ipc than desktop counterparts.
Although I agree that you should upgrade to an 8 core.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It’s launching tomorrow and we don’t have any availability information nor do we even have reviews. Come on, man.

dave_d

Unless game developers do it differently you don't develop to use X cores, you develop to break up things into threads that the task scheduler on the OS figures out which core to run it on.(At least that's what happens when I write anything multithreaded in windows.) So pretty much it isn't core count that matters, it's multithreaded performance and it looks like the multithreaded performance on the 5600x is close to that of the 3700x. Well ok, maybe a little slower, benchmarks will make that clearer. Actually more to the point if you had the choice between 2 chips, one with 33% better performance on each and every core or a chip with 33% more cores assuming nothing else was different the first would be the better bet.(Faster cores makes everything faster, more cores only improve multithreaded performance.)

Unless game developers do it differently you don't develop to use X cores, you develop to break up things into threads that the task scheduler on the OS figures out which core to run it on.(At least that's what happens when I write anything multithreaded in windows.) So pretty much it isn't core count that matters, it's multithreaded performance and it looks like the multithreaded performance on the 5600x is close to that of the 3700x. Well ok, maybe a little slower, benchmarks will make that clearer. Actually more to the point if you had the choice between 2 chips, one with 33% better performance on each and every core or a chip with 33% more cores assuming nothing else was different the first would be the better bet.(Faster cores makes everything faster, more cores only improve multithreaded performance.)

Yep. More cores with shitty ipc is no good. This is why the i5 2500k was a better cpu than the fx8350 despite having less cores, for example. Bulldozers ipc was just too crappy to make a real difference with those extra cores.

Last edited:

McHuj

It’s launching tomorrow and we don’t have any availability information nor do we even have reviews. Come on, man.

I some posts on reddit claiming 9am ET tomorrow for availability but still no product pages on Newegg or Amazon.

Last edited:

dave_d

A few benchies of the 5800 & 5900 from Custom PC:

QhYb3TS.png

Thanks for this. So wait, am I seeing about a 15% difference between a 3800xt and a 5800x? Did I mention that I got a 3800xt for about $300? Now I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to return the 3800xt for a 5800x. (I mean a 50% price increase for a 15% improvement.)

Kenpachii

A think i don't understand is why if they have 600+ cinebench scores on single core they don't absolutely dwarf intel on performance. That's the thing i didn't got out of the charts AMD showcased in there presentation. Either they cheat there cinebench scores or cinebench score benchmarks are useless or there is something else going on. Because those AMD cpu's should dwarf intel's performance otherwise.

Last edited:

dave_d

That's how it seems to go with tech in general these days.
True unfortunately. I was hoping Gen 3 Ryzen we'd see a new bunch of chips for about same price as the old ones with a 15% increase in performance across the board. Definitely not seeing that especially if you consider discounts on the older generation stuff. I have to think what I'm doing next because I have every part on my new build except the video card. (I would have gotten a 3070 but, umm yeah.)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Consoles dont use 8 cores for gaming.
Devs arent gonna make games for 7 cores.
They will simply develop for multi threading as many cores/threads as you have the game should take advantage of.
The IPC advantage is too insane to even worry about 6/12 cores getting eaten up by what console will be pulling.

I dont think you will see a game come out this generation that actually maxes out a 5600X at 60fps.
Chances are you will get GPU bound before you got CPU bound, if you are aiming for 144Hz I still think the GPU will fail you first but maybe more cores makes sense then?

In fact im willing to bet 6 cores will still be the sweet spot towards the end of the generation as the IPC and clockspeed advantage just takes over from raw core count advantage in games.

If one of my cores can do what two of your cores do in the same amount of time, I dont need to match you core for core.

6 high IPC cores will deck 7 low IPC cores.

Ubisoft and other games that inexplicably eat CPUs for breakfast not withstanding.

GymWolf

Consoles dont use 8 cores for gaming.
Devs arent gonna make games for 7 cores.
They will simply develop for multi threading as many cores/threads as you have the game should take advantage of.
The IPC advantage is too insane to even worry about 6/12 cores getting eaten up by what console will be pulling.

I dont think you will see a game come out this generation that actually maxes out a 5600X at 60fps.
Chances are you will get GPU bound before you got CPU bound, if you are aiming for 144Hz I still think the GPU will fail you first but maybe more cores makes sense then?

In fact im willing to bet 6 cores will still be the sweet spot towards the end of the generation as the IPC and clockspeed advantage just takes over from raw core count advantage in games.

If one of my cores can do what two of your cores do in the same amount of time, I dont need to match you core for core.

6 high IPC cores will deck 7 low IPC cores.

Ubisoft and other games that inexplicably eat CPUs for breakfast not withstanding.
So a 5600x is a safe bet to have peace of mind for at least 3-5 years? it's not gonna bottleneck my next 2 gpus?!

for the record i aim at 4k60.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

If you upgrade go for 8 cores, even while what black stride is correct i wouldn't gamble on it. Could very well see 8 core optimation on PC coming forwards which u will miss out on then.

dave_d

Yep. More cores with shitty ipc is no good. This is why the i5 2500k was a better cpu than the fx8350 despite having less cores, for example. Bulldozers ipc was just too crappy to make a real difference with those extra cores.
This is also why we didn't see multicore processors for the most part until the mid 2000s. I mean back around 1990 to 2000 you'd go from a 10mhz cpu to a 733mhz cpu with IPC improvements. There was no point to adding more cores because the IPC and mhz improvements were so good. Only when that really slowed did we see them go multicore. (Because that was about the only way to get better performance.)

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
In general yes, but I'm talking about gaming

And again, for gaming performance value, you're getting a better deal with AMD. Higher benchmarks for Intel has a much higher price tag.

If you pay $100 for a score of 100, and $50 for a score of 80, it's pretty much a given that the better value per dollar is in the less expensive option. Nobody is debating that Intel is outperforming in benchmarks. But it also costs a lot more.

Top Bottom