• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The only game I really look forward to playing these days is Halo 2...

Jeff-DSA

That's gotta suck. I think I kept Halo 2 (CE) for a whopping 2 months before I realized I didn't like it much.

demi

BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING

TeTr1C

Actually, it's XBL and Halo 2 that keeps me going back to my Xbox every day.

And I have a PS2. Last game I bought for that was GTASA on release. RE4...hurry the fuck up.

Solid

10man.jpg

TeTr1C

demi said:
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING
BUY ADVENT RISING

I think I'll listen to Adam Sesslar and Morgan Webb and take their word for it. :lol :lol :lol

TeTr1C

Doom_Bringer said:
Upgrade your pc and check out the battlefield series, its better than Halo 2 online IMO.

I'm talking about console gaming.

I have BF2 and I'm very happy with it. Best military shooter evar.

TeTr1C said:
I'm talking about console gaming.

I have BF2 and I'm very happy with it. Best military shooter evar.

ahah military shooter.. It’s the best online FPS ever. I just can't play any online game that supports only 16 players, that’s too little for me. I need at least 32 players to really have some fun.

SpokkX

more or less agree..

next bunch of games I am looking forward to are the X360 launch games..

the current gen games this autumn don´t interest me that much.. bring on the next generation :)

SpokkX

Doom_Bringer said:
ahah military shooter.. It’s the best online FPS ever. I just can't play any online game that supports only 16 players, that’s too little for me. I need at least 32 players to really have some fun.

oh.. and battlefield 2 is good..

but it is no halo2..

the shield-system is the best thing that happend in fps since.. well since.. full 3d in Quake..
makes the game so focused on combat..

and less players mean less chaos and more control.. I like that kind of gameplay better

TeTr1C

I think the rest of the Xbox titles this year are pretty bad, except maybe Far Cry Instincts, but I have no idea when that's coming out. And, that's about it.

SpokkX said:
oh.. and battlefield 2 is good..

but it is no halo2..

the shield-system is the best thing that happend in fps since.. well since.. full 3d in Quake..
makes the game so focused on combat..

and less players mean less chaos and more control.. I like that kind of gameplay better

Well that's your opinion. For me personally, Halo 2 can't even match Battlefield 1942. Playing in a good server with 40 people is a lot of fun, I don't care about shield systems etc..

FiRez

Wario64 said:
i like to play shitty games

said by the same person that named it GOTY
HUAHUAHAUAHUAHUA
:lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol at the people comparing BF2 to H2, c'mon they're both very different

TeTr1C

People think they're cool because they can diss the most successful Xbox Live game ever. :lol Not to mention one of the best FPSs ever.

Jeff-DSA

Doom_Bringer said:
Well that's your opinion. For me personally, Halo 2 can't even match Battlefield 1942. Playing in a good server with 40 people is a lot of fun, I don't care about shield systems etc..

I've always hated shields in console FPS games. In fact, I don't even like health bars in most of them. All the way back to Goldeneye we always played one hit kills with pistols. We still do the same with any games that allow us to do it.

I just tire of the circle strafing and constant blasting until one of the two or three guys in the room manages to drop the other(s).

TeTr1C said:
People think they're cool because they can diss the most successful Xbox Live game ever. :lol

It's successful with the casuals. What do they know about gaming? Fact is Halo 2 online brings nothing new to the table! Halo 1 for PC pretty much did everything, all bungie did is enhance the graphics, add some modes and bring in the ranking stuff.

PC multiplayer games like Tribes, Unreal Tournament and Battlefield is where Halo 2's multiplayer mode drew inspiration from, it's nothing new!

FiRez

Doom_Bringer said:
It's successful with the casuals. What do they know about gaming? Fact is Halo 2 online brings nothing new to the table! Halo 1 for PC pretty much did everything, all bungie did is enhance the graphics, add some modes and bring in the ranking stuff.

PC multiplayer games like Tribes, Unreal Tournament and Battlefield is where Halo 2's multiplayer mode drew inspiration from, it's nothing new!

No
1.- Sadly they don't, they trashed all the wonderful code of H:CE and started the H2 engine from scratch screwing a lot of things in the Process

2.-o_O, those games are FPS obviously it will have common things, but the overall gameplay is way different specially in tribes and battlefield

raYne

Jeff-DSA said:
I've always hated shields in console FPS games. In fact, I don't even like health bars in most of them. All the way back to Goldeneye we always played one hit kills with pistols. We still do the same with any games that allow us to do it.

I just tire of the circle strafing and constant blasting until one of the two or three guys in the room manages to drop the other(s).
One his kills are for pansys, the only thing it does is gives the first player to see the other a free kill. At least having health/shields makes it a marksmans game so you can actually retaliate and come out the victor. Even in Goldeneye we used to set the handicap so that one headshot kills but you can take a few hits to the body before you drop.

FiRez said:
No
1.- Sadly they don't, they trashed all the wonderful code of H:CE and started the H2 engine from scratch screwing a lot of things in the Process

I was talking about Halo PC multiplayer

PC multiplayer online FPS's are a whole lot better than any Xbox online multiplayer FPS.
Bigger maps, more people, less cheating and more fun! x_X

raYne

Doom_Bringer said:
PC multiplayer online FPS's are a whole lot better than any Xbox online multiplayer FPS.
:lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

Dude, pass the pipe man. That has got to be some majorly killer shit you got there.

raYne said:

Elaborate please! Punkbuster alone eliminated cheating in the Battlefield and other series. Counterstrike is the only PC FPS which is infested by cheaters while Bungie is still patching fixing all the exploits and hacks.

Mrbob

Halo 2 is the most fun I've had online with a FPS game since Tribes 2.

I gotta always carry PRINE'S ass online, though! :D

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Elaborate please! Punkbuster alone eliminated cheating in the Battlefield and other series. Counterstrike is the only PC FPS which is infested by cheaters while Bungie is still patching fixing all the exploits and hacks.

PC games are riddled with cheaters. Punkbuster is not 100% either. Far more than the Xbox could ever dream of. Regardless of genre either.

The PC's open endness makes it all possible.

Dr_Cogent said:
PC games are riddled with cheaters. Punkbuster is not 100% either. Far more than the Xbox could ever dream of. Regardless of genre either.

All I know is that it works extremely well in Battlefield 1942, Vietnam and 2. For example: the admins have the ability to take screenshots to see of any player (if they are suspicious) is using any sort of map hacks, exploits etc and permaban him on site. The system on it’s own is very reliable and finds and kicks/bans players if it discovers someone using cheats.

Ronok

People think they're cool because they can diss the most successful Xbox Live game ever. Not to mention one of the best FPSs ever.

Most successful means nothing........ Doesn't make it the best at all.....

One of the best FPS's ever? Going a bit far there........... o.o

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
All I know is that it works extremely well in Battlefield 1942, Vietnam and 2. For example: the admins have the ability to take screenshots to see of any player (if they are suspicious) to see if they are using any sort of map hacks, exploits etc and permaban him on site and the system on it’s own is very reliable and finds and kicks/bans players if it discovers someone using cheats.

Well, that is certainly cool - but it kinda helps my point in a way. There are a ton of cheaters out there. Thankfully there are better ways of dealing with them than there were 5-10 years ago.

That's been my biggest gripe about PC gaming, the freakin cheaters. Console gaming still has cheaters but it "appears" there is less. At least from my perspective.

Dr_Cogent said:
Well, that is certainly cool - but it kinda helps my point in a way. There are a ton of cheaters out there. Thankfully there are better ways of dealing with them than there were 5-10 years ago.

That's been my biggest gripe about PC gaming, the freakin cheaters. Console gaming still has cheaters but it "appears" there is less. At least from my perspective.

There are lots of safe games out there. Socom 2 on PS2, Battlfield series; the punkbuster update made it very safe. Some companies handle cheating better than others, Dice Sweden and Zipper Interactive have done it the best.

Don’t know about Epic but I bet Unreal Tournament 2004 is cheater free too, the demo sucked though, a lot of people came up with speedhacks very quickly.

All PC games that use Punkbuster

America's Army
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Battlefield Vietnam
Call of Duty
Enemy Territory
DOOM 3
Far Cry
Joint Operations
MOH: Pacific Assault
Quake III Arena v1.150
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Soldier of Fortune II

ToxicAdam

Doom, there are so many ways to cheat in an FPS that never gets picked up by any detection.

You can alter the color of player models (to spot easier), increase in-game sounds (the sounds of footsteps, or the sound of a grenade dropping), boost your gamma (so there are no more shadows or dark corners), not to mention all the hundreds of scripts that make hard manuevers or tricks happen in one keystroke. Then there are the tweaks you can do in console commands that make your hitbox skittish (changing your rates) or add or take away fog to help you see better.

Those are just the small easy ones ... there are plenty of more nefarious ones out there like aimbots that are adjustable on the fly, or sophisticated wallhacks that allow you to see everything, yet still see where the walls OUGHT to be.

ToxicAdam said:
Doom, there are so many ways to cheat in an FPS that never gets picked up by any detection.

You can alter the color of player models (to spot easier), increase in-game sounds (the sounds of footsteps, or the sound of a grenade dropping), boost your gamma (so there are no more shadows or dark corners), not to mention all the hundreds of scripts that make hard manuevers or tricks happen in one keystroke. Then there are the tweaks you can do in console commands that make your hitbox skittish (changing your rates) or add or take away fog to help you see better.

Those are just the small easy ones ... there are plenty of more nefarious ones out there like aimbots that are adjustable on the fly, or sophisticated wallhacks that allow you to see everything, yet still see where the walls OUGHT to be.

Shit that's amazing, I have never heard about all this stuff! Although I am pretty sure punkbuster put an end to the latter ones (wall hacks, aimbots etc).

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I remember hearing about users running the games in wireframe mode (some driver(s) back then allowed it) so they could see everyone and everything going on in the game.

Dr_Cogent said:
I remember hearing about users running the games in wireframe mode (some driver(s) back then allowed it) so they could see everyone and everything going on in the game.

ya I have heard about that. You can use third party software to enable wire frame mode, I think I will try that some time.

Razoric

Banned
ToxicAdam said:

Problem with all those are most are barely noticable. I have yet to run into any cheaters in Battlefield 2 and if I have I didn't notice it. Halo 2, on the other hand, has had very noticable almost game breaking cheats and being that its on a console it took much longer to patch and clean up. Also see SOCOM 1 and 2 for more cheater fun that either A) never got fixed or B) took so long that I gave up long before they fixed it.

For every cheat there is for PC there is an anti-cheat (punkbuster), constant server admins who will kick anyone how that even might be cheating, and quick fix patches to keep l33t haxors on their toes.

Find the right servers in the PC gaming world and you will be 99% cheat free.

raYne

Doom_Bringer said:
Shit that's amazing, I have never heard about all this stuff! Although I am pretty sure punkbuster put an end to the latter ones (wall hacks, aimbots etc).
The hell? Did you just start online gaming? All this stuff was rampant in pc Q3A and in games before and since that as well.

Hell, on DC Q3A I'd use the keyboard commands to get rid of all the textures which gave me more fps and more stable aim, then lightbright(?) the map which made everything white except the player models and get rid of all the excess lighting (weapon fire etc) giving me even more stable fps while upping the brightness of the existing player models making them even more obvious etc. Then I'd play with music off and using headphones so I could follow footsteps via directional input.

I don't remember what else I used to tweak but I'd enter around 6-10 commands before I even logged on to a server. And this was just DC Q3A... and before I became a low ping bastard! :lol

Razoric

Banned
raYne said:
The hell? Did you just start online gaming? All this stuff was rampant in Q3A and in games before that as well.

Hell, on DC Q3A I'd use the keyboard commands to get rid of all the textures which gave me more fps and more stable aim, then lightbright(?) the map which made everything white except the player models and get rid of all the excess lighting (weapon fire etc) giving me even more stable fps while upping the brightness of the existing player models making them even more obvious etc. Then I'd play with music off and using headphones so I could follow footsteps via directional input.

I don't remember what else I used to tweak but I'd enter around 6-10 commands before I even logged on to a server. And this was just DC Q3A... and before I became a low ping bastard! :lol

You're sorry ass would've been kicked off most of the servers I played on.

raYne

Razoric said:
You're sorry ass would've been kicked off most of the servers I played on.
Which is why I said DC Q3A, you couldn't get kicked from a dc server than wasn't run by an individual. Plus, there was no way to tell I was even doing it since they aren't server tweaks and again, servers run by Seganet blah blah. Then again, they didn't really affect anything other than giving me stable fps and no one wants that *rollseyes*. Other than the upped fps the visuals could sorta be replicated by adjusting your monitor/tv setings.

Oh... and even with all that I used to play via vgabox which made everything even sharper and easier to see and subsequenly aim anyway.... :lol

Plus there were far worst tweaks I could have been using, like getting rid of rounded polygons which would stabilize the fps even more but allow me to see around corners, or the before mentioned seeing through walls, which had two versions.

You could get rid of them completely and if you knew the maps/followed the floor you could navigate as normal but there would be no ceilings/floors etc either. Or there was something (forgot the term/command) you could enter that made the map appear normal but if you went right up next to the wall and "leaned" on it you could see right through. Something about the draw distance.... eh.

Anyway, after a while you couldn't really pull this stuff on pc servers either (Orange Smoothie etc) but there were far more servers than OS with no restrictions so the cheating continued and got worse ie the aimbots etc that were mentioned. Hell, aimbots on pc(duh) could adjust to what weapon you had selected leading the target for you if necessary. They had bots that aimed for you and bots that automatically fired whenever you crosshair went over a target so machine guns, shotguns, railguns (omgwtf!?) and other instant hit weapons were ridiculous.

Anyway, it's just an example. To be honest though most of my tweaks were necessary on DC Q3A just to make the fps stable and the game playable.

Top Bottom