• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dear lord... i actually feel sad. I wanted this game to be good at the very least.

I really hope these devs will be getting another chance at a sequel. There is sooo much they can do with this. It has a LOT of potential.

Well it is their first home console game. Hopefully they'll learn from this and do better next time. That's ultimately how criticism works.

Alienous

BedaPrg.jpg

lol.

Lord_Santa

Neo Member
Well the review scores are quite bag. For a while I thought they might pull it off, but I guess it's all style and no substance after all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Expected.

RAD isn't part of Sony (officially anyway), but i guess this will make any future acquisitions hard to justify.

Now it's bloodborne's turn next to get eviscerated. Even though that i think will be a great game, it will be destroyed just for the sake of being too similar to the other souls games i think

Nicktendo86

I preorder the game for $40 almost two years ago. At worst, given the length of the game, I'll likely finish it this weekend and can trade it back for $35.

It's a shame, I love the characters, the style and the world. RAD made an amazing portable GoW game; I had a high hopes.

I know it was in order to get the game at a cheaper price but I cannot get my head around pre-ordering a game 2 years before release. Madness.

How do you know it isn't? Ultimately that should be something you decide for yourself.

True. But you have to admit these reviews don't really make me go out and spend 60 Euro.
I will buy and play it. But just not for 60 euro. Because i STILL think, i might like the game.

NotLiquid

EGM: 4.5/10
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/the-order-1886-review/

The issues, large and small, just pile up, and The Order ends up feeling like a game where plenty of manpower went into making sure it looked good—but no one bothered to check if it might actually be any fun. Outside of its admittedly superlative visuals, The Order doesn’t do a single thing well. Not one gameplay element stands out as superb—merely mediocre or substandard.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Metro 4/10

In Short: Beneath the technical wonder this is just a dull, aimless Gears Of War clone – where the attempts at storytelling are just as boring and lifeless as the action.

Amir0x

Banned
Yup, just what everyone expected. Actually I said 76 metacritic, but this seems like a legit bad game at 67 metacritic right now.

Something was in the soup of this game from the get go, which is why previews were so dour all the time. Visually stunning game, maybe decent foundation going forward, so let's hope RAD gets a second chance to maybe improve their craft. Merely trying to poorly emulate being a movie with mediocre third person mechanics shoved in there is not the way to go.

Fury451

Banned
I have to tell you, I'm worried for them. This game was 5 years in the making and it's getting trashed.

People were saying that about Evolution when Driveclub launched. Hard to say on this market anymore. If it sells and Sony sees franchise potential, they'll be fine.

Ha Jesus these reviews are craaazy! Feel sorry for the RAD guys but clearly this is a game that would have faired better critically a couple of years ago in hindsight. Hopefully they can do a lot more with the sequel and learn from their mistakes.

Ahh well hopefully the critics don't speak for my enjoyment of the game later tonight!

Have fun tearing each other apart now Gaf :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Open-world games aren't going anywhere, and I don't want them to, but The Order is proof that there's still a place for linear, cinematic gaming experiences. It may look like a modern game, but The Order is a throwback to some of the best releases from the PlayStation 2: games that didn’t need a massive world to tell a cool story. It turns out I really missed that.

Inside Gamer (Netherlands)

8.+

+ No RPG leveling sytem
Thankfully there's still people that think like this.

This thread is going better than expected but I assume most of us were thinking The Order was going to review around these scores anyway, Still looking forward to picking this game up and playing it over the weekend!

Someone prod Shinobi and find out how many copies this game needs to sell so we can get a sequel.

Caderfix

You know, not to defend this game, as I didn't even play nor intend to for now (huge backlog), but it sounds like the main issue with the Order is that it isn't revolutionary and ground breaking, and that is a pretty unfair reason to pan a game and it's been happening left and right this generation. If the game is functional and responsive, I don't think being bland/generic is enough to ruin the experience, as the setting and story is enough to make the package feel "fresh".

That's just my opinion though. I'll gladly give this game a go down the line.

Kezen

Banned
The Sony conspiracy was not more a rhetorical question. Of course they don't have a bias for Sony. But again i seriously doubt that this game deserves a 4/10.

For some people it does and for others it's a 11/10.
Reviews are opinions.

Anything that's a Gears of War clone deserves to be shat on from a great height.
I'm disappointed that Sony have put so much into this dross of a game when they're generally known for trying to innovate.
They're doing a terrible job of selling me on a PS4.

Gears of War was one of the best games of last generation.

However, The Order obviously isn't worthy of the comparison.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I understand that sentiment, but the killer is does this kind of short and sweet experience deserve a full price tag?

I'll certainly check it out when it hits sub £20, but at £40-£50 it is a very, very scary purchase.
That's a really tough question.

I still buy and play a LOT of retro games and many of those games are quite short yet I'm stilling paying pretty good money for them. I also have very fond memories of various single player PS2 games that were equally short. I mean, stuff like Mark of Kri, The Bouncer, Silent Hill 3, Onimusha, etc are all of similar length but I really enjoyed them and, outside of Kri, they really don't PLAY that well. The Order feels like one of those games.

I appreciate those types of experiences before leveling up, multiplayer, and other modern features were forced into the game. It feels simple and pure in a way.

I also realize that it's kind of just me and most people DO like those modern flourishes and features that I feel just pad out games and keep me from finishing them. It's a weird situation indeed.

methodman

Banned
Sony exclusives are straight asscheeks. They're lucky people are buying it for third party games and naughty dog cuz this is getting fucking embarrassing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom