• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The original NBA 2K (1999 Dreamcast) has sold over 60m copies across all ports.

Marcus Matthews, the producer of the original NBA 2K and NFL 2K, has revealed on his LinkedIn profile that the first NBA 2K game, which was released back in 1999 for Dreamcast, has sold over 60 million copies in its lifetime, generating over $7 billion in revenue worldwide. The game was published by SEGA and was later released for GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3.

Timur222 on Twitter discovered the detail under the “About” section of Marcus Matthews’ LinkedIn profile. Additionally, the “About” section also revealed that Marcus Matthews had worked on overseeing the design and development of the original NBA 2K game.

The original NBA 2K game for Dreamcast set the foundation of the entire NBA 2K franchise, which is still going strong for over two decades, with their latest installment NBA 2K23, released in September 2022. The franchise is known for releasing a new installment each year and has been doing it since 1999 when the first NBA 2K game was launched
. https://exputer.com/news/games/nba-2k-sold-over-6-million-copies/

Sega really lost something special when they let go of Visual Concepts, they could have been kept selling consoles. Best selling sports game of all time.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’m gonna go ahead and say these are franchise numbers or there’s some other kind of miscalculation because no way.

Edit

Yeah the LinkedIn bio is referencing the franchise, but it’s worded poorly so it seems like it could be the first game. There’s no way the first game sold 60m, the article is wrong.

Last edited:

Kilau

I was so excited for that first one on the Dreamcast, it was lacking a lot of features but absolutely jaw dropping visually. Shame the franchise is such an MTX infested shit fest now.

I’m gonna go ahead and say these are franchise numbers or there’s some other kind of miscalculation because no way.
I doubt it, NBA2K20 made $1B alone in less than a year so who knows how much that game brought in alone before being replaced, possibly more than 2B, and that would only leave 5B left of that $7B. 2k21 made $890M just in Q4 alone and we see similar patterns for 2K22 and 23. The whole franchise has to be way more than just $7B.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned

Edit

Yeah the LinkedIn bio is referencing the franchise, but it’s worded poorly so it seems like it could be the first game. There’s no way the first game sold 60m, the article is wrong.
Yeah has to be the whole franchise.

Edit: the Sales number part.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm still trying to figure out why they can't make at least a pc version of this game that actually looks next gen and not like a really great cartoon. Great game, cartoony graphics.

Deerock71

Whitney Houston GIF

Sleepwalker

I doubt it, NBA2K20 made $1B alone in less than a year so who knows how much that game brought in alone before being replaced, possibly more than 2B, and that would only leave 5B left of that $7B. 2k21 made $890M just in Q4 alone and we see similar patterns for 2K22 and 23. The whole franchise has to be way more than just $7B.

Most of the revenue comes from MTX not copies sold, this is data from Take Two's most recent report

The NBA2K franchise is at lifetime 135m copies sold, the first game obviously did not sell almost half of those copies.

FIFA is the biggest sport franchise in the world in terms of game sales, it was at 325m games sold back in 2021 and with each game doing 20-30m it should be around 360-380m lifetime sales.

baphomet

No it didn't. That's multiple times the amount of Dreamcasts even produced.

The franchise has sold 60 million, which isn't a great number for being out every year for nearly 25 years.

cireza

Edit

Obviously, lol.

Last edited:

MastAndo

I'm still trying to figure out why they can't make at least a pc version of this game that actually looks next gen and not like a really great cartoon. Great game, cartoony graphics.
...or why they abandoned the lighting system from NBA2K14, which looked incredible. The player models and animations got better, but the overall look of the game got worse for some weird reason. There's no reason a nearly 10 year old game should hold up visually to current versions.

Sleepwalker

No it didn't. That's multiple times the amount of Dreamcasts even produced.

The franchise has sold 60 million, which isn't a great number for being out every year for nearly 25 years.
The franchise has sold 135m lifetime, that 60m number is outdated

Top Bottom