• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds has sold through 5 million copies

Wait so now you guys want players instead of sales? Can you guys please make up your minds

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

El Muerto

That's pretty good I guess with it being on gamepass this whole time. Probably my favorite Obsidian RPG. Everyone I know that played it loved it, I'm sure those that didn't play it are the ones hating on it.

Sethbacca

Heard this one is too bland? is it worth playing?
I had fun with it, it's Fallout-esque. Not gonna win any awards or anything but if the next gen package with all the dlc drops under $20 probably worth a get. I think the non next gen base edition is on gamepass if you have that.

That's pretty good I guess with it being on gamepass this whole time. Probably my favorite Obsidian RPG. Everyone I know that played it loved it, I'm sure those that didn't play it are the ones hating on it.
Right, I made that joke about player numbers, but I bet those numbers are pretty high compared to sales because of Game Pass. The Outer Worlds 2 is clearly lined up to be a pretty big hit.

winjer

Gold Member
I bought and enjoyed the game.
But I don't think that post means 5M games sold. It's probably 5M players.
Probably counting players on gamepass. And the game was also on a Humble Bundle.

King Dazzar

The original release on Xbox with Auto HDR and a decent 60fps is excellent. But the Spacers Choice "upgrade" was a total and utter fuck you and then they pretty much abandoned it after a patch or two. Fingers crossed for the second one coming.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It was very bland. I beat the game and barely remember anything about the story. It leans so hard on its “capitalism and rich people are evil” message and is just nowhere near as clever and witty as it thinks it is. Kinda like a way less funny version of Idiocracy written by slacktivists from r/antiwork

Gameplay was also bland. The skill trees were so boring, no interesting skills to unlock and barely any difference between party members. Difficulty was way out of whack, early game was challenging but by endgame I could easily kill any enemy (including last boss) by leaping into close range and unloading a whole clip into their face. Only thing I really liked was that there were many ways to complete each quest.

Also it’s pretty woke.

ungalo

Right, I made that joke about player numbers, but I bet those numbers are pretty high compared to sales because of Game Pass. The Outer Worlds 2 is clearly lined up to be a pretty big hit.
I'm not sure, i don't think players reception was incredible. I personnaly really liked it but i don't see a lot of people praising it.

I have a hard time understanding why the game did so well commercially actually.

Cashon

Banned
I still have not been able to bring myself to finish this one. There's something... I don't know... Soulless about it. I like the humor and dialogue, I like the general combat... But there's something about the exploration and general aesthetic that is so boring (though sometimes the vistas look pretty good.

It's so weird that Dan Stapleton at IGN gave this an 8, but gave Starfield a 7.

Hohenheim

Literally the only thing better than NV was the games video resolution. I loved Outer Worlds and beat it but but come on man.
Yeah, I know im in a minority on this one. New Vegas is great, but I sincerly had a better time with Outer Worlds. But then again, im one of the "freaks" who prefer Mario Sunshine to Mario Odyssey, so fuck me I guess😆

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Starfield continues to boost its contemporaries!
Starfield in your head rent free. Lol

Seriously, it's unprecedented how much that game has affected people. Never seen anything like it.

On topic: bought the whole buffet for O.W. and still haven't rocked it properly. Maybe after starfield

Thief1987

Take Two already announced 5 million sold in May during their earning call. Though maybe that were shipped numbers.

Last edited:
I loved it. I know some people who hate some of the woke stuff in it, but I found it to be a really fun and easily consumable experience.
The biggest issue with the game is that everyone in the game speaks in 'corporate sponsor'-nese, and while it is cute and funny at first, it slowly becomes grating over time and it makes it harder and harder to care about any character's story and problems. I get the anti-corpo messaging of the game, but boy do they hammer it on extremely, extremely hard.

Near the end of the game I felt like I couldn't really connect with any character and I ended up not liking anyone. If a multiverse existed the Outer Worlds universe would be one of the most annoying ones to ever exist.

I hope the next game does something different, because aside from that issue it was fun to play.

Cashon

Banned
The biggest issue with the game is that everyone in the game speaks in 'corporate sponsor'-nese, and while it is cute and funny at first, it slowly becomes grating over time and it makes it harder and harder to care about any character's story and problems. I get the anti-corpo messaging of the game, but boy do they hammer it on extremely, extremely hard.

Near the end of the game I felt like I couldn't really connect with any character and I ended up not liking anyone. If a multiverse existed the Outer Worlds universe would be one of the most annoying ones to ever exist.

I hope the next game does something different, because aside from that issue it was fun to play.
What you didn't like is one of the few entertaining aspects of the game for me.

Are your political leanings at odds with the those of the game?

What you didn't like is one of the few entertaining aspects of the game for me.

Are your political leanings at odds with the those of the game?
I don't attach my political leanings with any form of media/art and just take it as it is for how good it can be. I find that attaching anything to a game, especially expectations or nostalgia, poisons the well before you've even picked up the controller. It's why I ended up enjoying Starfield because I judged it on it's own merits, whereas others were coming into the experience expecting mega-universe-expanding-multi-planet-Super-Skyrim game of the generation, and they ended up liking the game way less or simply hating it for not being what they imagined. That's a different story though.

My gripes with Outer Worlds storytelling came solely from an aspect of video game writing annoyance. To compare in a way(not a direct comparison), I had similar annoyances with this game that I had with Final Fantasy 13 and the " L'Cie / Fal'Cie / Crystal " speak. That also became grating over time and I ended up not caring as much about the world of FF 13.

Topher

Gold Member
I bought and enjoyed the game.
But I don't think that post means 5M games sold. It's probably 5M players.
Probably counting players on gamepass. And the game was also on a Humble Bundle.

Yeah, the way they phrased it, "employed 5 Million spacers", more than likely means played.

Nope.....sold through.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I don't attach my political leanings with any form of media/art and just take it as it is for how good it can be. I find that attaching anything to a game, especially expectations or nostalgia, poisons the well before you've even picked up the controller. It's why I ended up enjoying Starfield because I judged it on it's own merits, whereas others were coming into the experience expecting mega-universe-expanding-multi-planet-Super-Skyrim game of the generation, and they ended up liking the game way less or simply hating it for not being what they imagined. That's a different story though.

My gripes with Outer Worlds storytelling came solely from an aspect of video game writing annoyance. To compare in a way(not a direct comparison), I had similar annoyances with this game that I had with Final Fantasy 13 and the " L'Cie / Fal'Cie / Crystal " speak. That also became grating over time and I ended up not caring as much about the world of FF 13.
I can understand that. That's the same reason I can't care about the story in Elden Ring, Blasphemous, or basically any military shooter.

I can understand that. That's the same reason I can't care about the story in Elden Ring, Blasphemous, or basically any military shooter.
Brave take about Elden Ring but I totally get it. There are multiple moments in Fromsoft games where you will end up going down rabbit holes of research just to understand where a certain item can be used or how to progress. After Demon's and Dark Souls, I just eventually accepted that's how they want their games to be digested and interacted with.

What don't you like about military shooters?

Cashon

Banned
Brave take about Elden Ring but I totally get it. There are multiple moments in Fromsoft games where you will end up going down rabbit holes of research just to understand where a certain item can be used or how to progress. After Demon's and Dark Souls, I just eventually accepted that's how they want their games to be digested and interacted with.

What don't you like about military shooters?
It just ends up sounding like this to me:
"Roger, Alpha Tango. Reconnoiter the package to LZ 87, GoGoGo!"

Most of the stories of them just feel like mindless military jargon, so my brain just tunes it out and I have no idea why I did anything by the end.

Top Bottom