• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds has sold through 5 million copies

K2D

Banned
This game is not IT.

.. and The Outer Wilds was probably robbed of a couple million sales (lol).

.. and [unknown quality] opinion: Fallout New Vegas is not an easily accessible game.

It's still on a whole other plane of existence better than Outer Worlds though.

It just ends up sounding like this to me:
"Roger, Alpha Tango. Reconnoiter the package to LZ 87, GoGoGo!"

Most of the stories of them just feel like mindless military jargon, so my brain just tunes it out and I have no idea why I did anything by the end.
That's fair. I always took the military shooters as video game versions of movies like Extraction/The Raid where you know that you're tuning in for the sole purpose of cool set pieces, great action, and one take scenes. Everything else becomes irrelevant. This is why I love the fact that military shooters don't outstay their welcome. You get a solid 6-12 hours of fun and then you're done.

Hudo

Starfield in your head rent free. Lol

Seriously, it's unprecedented how much that game has affected people. Never seen anything like it.

On topic: bought the whole buffet for O.W. and still haven't rocked it properly. Maybe after starfield
Hey, Todd pays rent!

Does it say 5 million sold or 5 million played? Tweet seems a little murky.
It's 5M units sold through and probably a lot more than that played it.

F9TOpP7WAAAX_ij

Three

No way in hell it sold that.
Why? It's been on sale 4 years now and on pretty much every platform. PS4/5, XB1/S/X, Switch, PC.

It would have to be doing really shitty numbers on them to be selling anything less. 5M isn't that impressive.

Last edited:
I liked it a lot when I played it in 2020. It felt like a 360 game but that ain't a problem for me, probably a better RPG than anything Bethesda makes.

StereoVsn

This game is not IT.

.. and The Outer Wilds was probably robbed of a couple million sales (lol).

.. and [unknown quality] opinion: Fallout New Vegas is not an easily accessible game.

It's still on a whole other plane of existence better than Outer Worlds though.
If we are talking accessible as easy to get into, NV isn't that bad. Starts with a bang and you have a lot of stuff to do in the game. It's also available on Steam, GoG and Xbox, so its not hard to purchase either.

For Outer Worlds I dropped it after a few hours. Thought it was completely uninteresting and uninspired from characters to the world.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Looking back, I think Outer Worlds was bland in a lot of the same ways Starfield was bland: world is almost completely devoid of masculinity/femininity and sexuality, bland boring party members, forgettable plot, janky animations w/characters who stand there like mannequins with their shoulders squared to you while they talk, everything feels so game-y and familiar.

At least with Starfield there is a great breadth of gameplay systems and exploration + the character progression is somewhat interesting.

Outer Worlds is much smaller and focused. Plus it tries so so hard to be clever and witty (and fails at it) + constantly preaches its trite “corporations and rich people are bad” message in the most hamfisted way possible.

Skifi28

Gold Member
One of the blandest rpgs in recent memory. It wasn't bad, just completely forgettable. Really surprising it sold so many copies. Seeing the platform split would be interesting.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Why do we keep getting these random tweets and threads of years-old games hitting some random sales amount? No one cares.

Alebrije

Heard this one is too bland? is it worth playing?
Its a limited fallout experience, semi open world and limited side missions...but in general is good. Was the first try to get a Fallout on space kind of game, in some aspects is better than Starfield like the variety of races and weapons, also think has better writting.

FingerBang

I have to echo the "I played through the game and barely remember anything about it" sentiment. Not sure I'd consider it woke, but ResetEra considered a monument to LGBT rights because there's an asexual minority female character who falls in love with another woman or something.

Dunno, went in expecting better Fallout and was disappointed. Not as much as Fallout 4, but still disappointing. I didn't drop it like that Bethesda game that lives rent free bla bla though

Why do we keep getting these random tweets and threads of years-old games hitting some random sales amount? No one cares.
Let’s say you and a team create something for sale.
You have decently strong launch numbers(up to 1 million+).
A few years later your item still hits 5 million sold, regardless of it being free on gamepass or ps plus).
You’re telling your entire team to not celebrate that milestone?

Regginator

In terms of gameplay it's amazing, FNV levels of player freedom and (dialogue) skill checks in my opinion. Solid gunplay, too.

The rest is kinda bland though. Story is serviceable enough, but the world itself and the lore behind is pretty bland and meh-ish.

Definitely worth a try I'd say. I'm salty that I won't be able to play TOW2 on PS5.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have to echo the "I played through the game and barely remember anything about it" sentiment. Not sure I'd consider it woke, but ResetEra considered a monument to LGBT rights because there's an asexual minority female character who falls in love with another woman or something.

Dunno, went in expecting better Fallout and was disappointed. Not as much as Fallout 4, but still disappointing. I didn't drop it like that Bethesda game that lives rent free bla bla though
Yeah, Parvati is the most overtly woke part of the game. She’s one of your party members and her companion quest is basically:

- she has a crush on some female engineer
- she confides in you that she’s asexual and she’s afraid that her crush would not be open to an asexual romantic relationship
- you give her lots of encouragement
- you eventually convince her to ask her crush out on a date + help her prep for it
-
she goes on the date and everything goes exactly as she wanted, her crush is totally cool with a sexless lesbian relationship

What really makes it lame though is how it clashes with the tone of the game. The rest of the game is almost unbearably cynical. Everyone in the Outer Worlds is either some soulless corporate automaton or a sociopathic rich asshole. Parvati is like the only good, pure, sympathetic character in the entire universe and they try soooooo hard to make you like her.

Felt like some pink hair’s attempt to boost their ESG score by inserting an infomercial about alternative sexual orientation rather than an organic part of the game’s story/characterization.

Bridges

Really awesome for player choice. It is a Bethesda RPG on a much smaller scale, so you have a lot more freedom in how you approach things and your consequences matter.

My biggest pet peeve in Bethesda games (especially Starfield) is when I try to murder someone but instead of dying, they get on their hands and knees, cough a few times and then get back up like nothing happened. Oops, they're gonna give me a quest later so they can't die unless the story says so. Lame. Immersion destroyed.

In the Outer Worlds, they don't give a fuck. You can kill anyone. I am a psychopath who only wants to kill, and the game never tells me no. When I played The Outer Worlds, I walked into the first couple towns with a sledgehammer and went door to door, smashing in the heads of everyone I encountered. I didn't know their names, their story, their importance. None of it mattered to me. I just want to kill. And I did, I made ghost towns, and I was treated like the psychopath that I was by the people I met.

In the last mission of the game I thought "what gives? I'm missing the second companion". Turns out, I killed him. I bashed his fucking skull in with a sledgehammer and had no idea he was important. The game didn't tell me not to kill him or make him magically invincible. I walked up to him, cracked his skull and left and the game just let me keep going. It was awesome. I could kill everyone I met and the game would always find a way for me to continue the main story.

We need more games like this.

AndrewRyan

Just happened to see these two videos that seem relevant. I've only played a few hours and seems fine but not exactly chomping at the bit to get back there.

Cashon

Banned
The day before this was announced, I received an email from Xbox advertising a new line of The Outer Worlds merchandise (shirts, posters, etc). Between this announcement and that email, I suspect they are trying to build interest leading up to a gameplay reveal/new cinematic trailer for the sequel.

Cashon

Banned
Really awesome for player choice. It is a Bethesda RPG on a much smaller scale, so you have a lot more freedom in how you approach things and your consequences matter.

My biggest pet peeve in Bethesda games (especially Starfield) is when I try to murder someone but instead of dying, they get on their hands and knees, cough a few times and then get back up like nothing happened. Oops, they're gonna give me a quest later so they can't die unless the story says so. Lame. Immersion destroyed.

In the Outer Worlds, they don't give a fuck. You can kill anyone. I am a psychopath who only wants to kill, and the game never tells me no. When I played The Outer Worlds, I walked into the first couple towns with a sledgehammer and went door to door, smashing in the heads of everyone I encountered. I didn't know their names, their story, their importance. None of it mattered to me. I just want to kill. And I did, I made ghost towns, and I was treated like the psychopath that I was by the people I met.

In the last mission of the game I thought "what gives? I'm missing the second companion". Turns out, I killed him. I bashed his fucking skull in with a sledgehammer and had no idea he was important. The game didn't tell me not to kill him or make him magically invincible. I walked up to him, cracked his skull and left and the game just let me keep going. It was awesome. I could kill everyone I met and the game would always find a way for me to continue the main story.

We need more games like this.
I'm very glad you have video games as an outlet.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The day before this was announced, I received an email from Xbox advertising a new line of The Outer Worlds merchandise (shirts, posters, etc). Between this announcement and that email, I suspect they are trying to build interest leading up to a gameplay reveal/new cinematic trailer for the sequel.
That's basically what I was thinking. Either promoting a new sequel or pushing for a remaster.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Almost sold as many copies as the critically acclaimed RE4 Remake while being on Gamepass. Pretty crazy.

FingerBang

Yeah, Parvati is the most overtly woke part of the game. She’s one of your party members and her companion quest is basically:

- she has a crush on some female engineer
- she confides in you that she’s asexual and she’s afraid that her crush would not be open to an asexual romantic relationship
- you give her lots of encouragement
- you eventually convince her to ask her crush out on a date + help her prep for it
-
she goes on the date and everything goes exactly as she wanted, her crush is totally cool with a sexless lesbian relationship

What really makes it lame though is how it clashes with the tone of the game. The rest of the game is almost unbearably cynical. Everyone in the Outer Worlds is either some soulless corporate automaton or a sociopathic rich asshole. Parvati is like the only good, pure, sympathetic character in the entire universe and they try soooooo hard to make you like her.

Felt like some pink hair’s attempt to boost their ESG score by inserting an infomercial about alternative sexual orientation rather than an organic part of the game’s story/characterization.
That's the problem with modern writing. They claim to want to normalize gayness, trans people and so on, and yet they only write Mary Sues no one can relate to but the 4 weirdos with anime avatar on Twitter.

The problem with modern media is not that it's woke and it's pushing an agenda, it's shitty writing and inability to make believable characters for fear of hurting those loud communities but still having to hit the quota.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is surprising. I played and beat the game on gamepass. It sold 5million copies. That's...actually kinda impressive. The game is decent enough for what it is. I just didn't expect it to sell more than 1 or 2 mil.

Maybe the Game Awards? Would be a cool gameplay reveal for that show, since the first game's reveal was there.

yeah im still fuming about those 15 hours.
Same, I was more pissed off that people kept saying 'it gets good after 15 hours!' No it doesn't, it just gets more obvious how bad it is.

Anyway, on topic, I never did finish this one but I'm tempted to boot it up on Steam Deck. It's not an amazing game but it was definitely OK from what I played.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I promise I'm a nice person irl

Going to videogames to act the same way that I do in real life sounds very boring.
LOL yeah best part of Outer Worlds was going in and disposing of an entire town once I finished all the quests there.

Anyway they deserve it, bunch of cunts. You touch one discarded yellow crate in some alley somewhere and any random pedestrian who happens to see it will accuse you of theft, and attempt to kill you if you fail to convince them otherwise. WTF

Hudo

I think Outer Worlds is a good proof-of-concept for Outer Worlds 2, which has the potential to be really good if Obsidian don't fuck it up. Now they don't have any monetary excuses/worries anymore.

Havoc2049

Good for Obsidian. I played and finished The Outer Worlds when it first came out and thought it was a decent game but nothing great (8/10).

The writing and characters were a little on the woke side, and it was obvious the writers and artists had an agenda to push and thus every encounter and outcome was predictable and even felt a little juvenile, kinda like Woke 101 for newbies. Hopefully Obsidian tones it down with The Outer Worlds 2 and focuses on an interesting story, with a less obvious woke agenda to push and the story is more nuanced. It will also be interesting to see what Obsidian does with a larger budget this time around, now that they have Microsoft's backing.

Neilg

Pretty much all of the writing felt like it was the first draft called done. For a game that was trying to be subversive and funny, it really needed a couple of extra writers to do a pass of punch-up. Nothing wrong with what happens or where you go, but it was so, so close to being so much better.
There are a lot of comedy writers in tv and movies whose job is exclusively to be hired late in the writing process to digest the story and try and pepper a few more jokes in. Just get some consultants in for 3-6 months, would be a drop in the bucket of the overall budget.

It also was a little too cautious in reminding you that it doesn't agree with the bad characters in a way that was patronizing and stupid. Across the board they needed to be bolder with the writing.
Maybe it wasn't a 'first draft' issue - maybe it was too many cooks sanding off all the sharp edges and watering it down. either way the end result is the same.

Top Bottom