• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Peripheral |OT| Amazon Prime

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I fell asleep watching the first episode. I don't really know what is going on other than VR, small town criminals, and a dude with a cool wheelchair motorcycle.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked the first 2 eps. Gibsons more recent work doesn't appeal to me as much as the classics but that's mostly because he has an obtuse writing style that is just hard for me to grok.

I like the show, hopefully most of what we are seeing pays off and isn't just convoluted backstory invented to create "mystery". But I like the idea of future information being fed to printers to influence the past. I'm curious about the "Stub" theory and how that works, what exactly they did to her Peripheral in the future (downloaded some info to her brain, I'm guessing). My wildest theory is that this "past" is actually all a simulation as this post-apoc recovered future society is trying to reconstruct their own history but that might be too out there.

GeekyDad

I could bring myself to diving in. The preview just filled me with similar bodily reactions I have when seeing fast-food advertising -- I shut it down immediately.

MachRc

I really enjoyed it after getting past the first episode. Pretty amazing show. Dont let the first VR scene in the barn ruin your view on the rest of the amazing show.

DarthPutin

I want to like it after enjoying last season of Westworld, but so far its very, very dull. Would probably like the book more, need to try it

Wildebeest

Not sure if I'm enjoying all the changes to the novel, but it is different enough to make me interested in where they are going. They couldn't just let Wilf be called Wilf without some stupid secret "Wolf" identity, and have messed around with his relationships. The older timeline characters seem a bit less fiddled around with.

If you just want to skip the show and read the books to save time, that might be a smart move. William Gibson has a way of making everything seem urgent and fast-paced, which is anathema to "Peak TV" show runners.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Is this the one with an ostrich as a protagonist?

She's cute.

I watched the trailer some while ago. Looked mildy interesting.

Should give it a go but when you're balls deep in alternative history/conspiracy content relating to simulation theory most of these shows are pretty much a shadow of said content.

I only watch these types of shows for the predictive programming angle and when that doesn't cut it all that's left is the character/plot/emotional stuff which if the fundamental content doesn't resonate doesn't do much for me personally.

I tend to be very critical before hand so I'm very much open to be positively surprised

Last edited:

MachRc

BTW every time they drive around ,Im like,
they got that from watchdog legions!!!!

Watch_Dogs_Legion_Hard_Reset_01.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah I'm enjoying it so far. It's like videogames the TV show. Not just the VR but the soldier guys with all the implants. Hopefully it lives up to the early promise.

I fell asleep watching the first episode. I don't really know what is going on other than VR, small town criminals, and a dude with a cool wheelchair motorcycle.
R.b3ceaec2a7aa2a235b9b79e3d1140c42

Fuck, this is me exactly. Only I did the same again with episode 2, I don't think I recall anything from Ep2. I wanted to like it, but it just doesn't retain my interest.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Agreed, that bridge scene was awesome. I think I'm in love with Daisey Ann or whatever her name is. Amazon needs to repurpose RoP money into more stuff like this, Reacher, TL, etc.

I still feel Flynn is in a sim, the model of her house reinforces this to me. And why, exactly, can't the future folk react to "stub future" events and adjust the "stub past"? It seems like the time lines are moving in sync but it seems like the future ought to be able to affect any part of the stub. I'm sure Gibson explains this, maybe not to the level of a Neal Stephenson book, but still.

How many eps left? Seems like shows go 8-13 eps these days.

Wildebeest

Honestly, something about the "but that's where I live" line killed something inside of me, but I'll get back on the horse and watch episode 5.

JCK75

Watched it with my girlfriend up to Ep 5, was really enjoying it early on.. but the more it goes the less sense it makes and the less interesting the world becomes.

Wildebeest

Episode 5. Feels like padding, but confusing padding, so you can't really be sure it's all inconsequential and repeating things you already know. US stub is violent. Stubs are playthings for rich people in the future. Like this show is a plaything for people who wanted some scenes with a balding Irish t-800 guy. Fair enough, I guess. Until a certain character is introduced, Peripheral is like a super long Columbo episode that lasts 5+ hours before Columbo shows up. But then the crime is totally different in the show to the book.

Tams

Just finished the first couple of episodes.

Pretty good. I think the 'protect the homestead' shtick is going to get a bit old, but I'll see where it goes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The future stuff is pretty turgid, the dialogue overly pretentious. That inspector lady person and the RI head in particular.

I'm curious how many real people are even left that the RI lady could be so casual about killing one with her bees when the other guy getting ganked brings in the super police.

I hope this season has a real resolution though. I like it but I don't want 3 seasons of this one plot dragged out. The idea of future messing with the past is good though.

Tams

The future stuff is pretty turgid, the dialogue overly pretentious. That inspector lady person and the RI head in particular.

I think some of that is intentionally on the nose though. The people in the future almost all think they are superior to those in the past, with the stubs just being tools to them. I mean, the air scrubber designs align show how pretentious they are.

Wildebeest

I think the weirdness of the future has been toned down a lot. Like the computer operator woman, Ash, with the tattoo, had very extreme body modifications and worked in a tent made from skin, or something, and had a thing about using her body as a memorial for all the extinct species. If I remember right. The eccentricity of people like her was used to explain why a relatively normal bloke like Wilf was needed to run PR with people from the stub.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Episode 8: I would have preferred it if they just did a straight adaptation of the plot of the novel in less than 8 episodes, but I suppose they consider themselves too good for that. It wrapped up, and I have no clue how what happened makes sense or why most of the characters did what they did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom