• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 (Blu-ray edition) Is Now Around $610 on StockX - How Long Until We See It in Stores?

Bluecondor

I have done a few similar threads before on the price of the PS5 (Blu-ray edition) on StockX. I noticed today that the price of the Blu-ray edition has now dropped to around $611:

I have held out on buying a PS5 with the goal of walking into a Wal-Mart or Target and buying one off the shelf. If these are going for $611 on StockX, I take this as evidence that the market for scalping PS5s is seriously waning. In a few months, there could be little to no incentive for scalpers.

So, do you think I will be able to walk into a Wal-Mart or Target (note - I live in Pittsburgh, PA) on July 1st and buy a PS5 off the shelf?

Over (after July 1) or under (before July 1)?

Also, thanks to many of you on here who have stated and reinforced the message "Don't buy from a scalper. It won't be log until these are available in stores."

Punished Miku

Gold Member
$1000 over MSRP/ 2 years on the market equals approximately a 41.6666666666 (US currency) decay rate monthly; meaning $111 above MSRP / 41.666666666666 = approximately 2.6682 months until MSRP price achieved, or 79.8 days.

Check stock around 7/16/22 at 0412 AM.

confused-lady-math-lady.gif

Roxkis_ii

I saw the same thing happen around February on Facebook market place. People selling ps5 in the 650ish range. I was super tempted too, but then a Walmart drop happened like two weeks later and I got lucky.

Checking out Facebook market place in my area, it looks like they are around 650 again. Weird as there hasn't really been a big ps5 drop lately.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it's quite crazy that the price has dropped this low when they are in such short supply, does this mean demand is dropping or it has lost some of its desirability at these higher price points?

I mean, just looking at the facts we know stock has been the worst its ever been over the last few months but the price with scalpers is the lowest its ever been? Surely that would mean these should sell out swiftly or the price people are willing to pay has dropped significantly if they are only slowly selling at this cheaper price?

This is all napkin math and theory from me, but what do people think? Maybe we will see them at retail and for longer soon.which is the best news for everyone.

Last edited:
I think it's quite crazy that the price has dropped this low when they are in such short supply, does this mean demand is dropping or it has lost some of its desirability at these higher price points?

I mean, just looking at the facts we know stock has been the worst its ever been over the last few months but the price with scalpers is the lowest its ever been? Surely that would mean these should sell out swiftly or the price people are willing to pay has dropped significantly if they are only slowly selling at this cheaper price?

This is all napkin math and theory from me, but what do people think? Maybe we will see them at retail and for longer soon.which is the best news for everyone.
You have to be a complete fool to pay more than MRSP at this point, one and a half years after it was released. We'll find out if the demand was met when PS5s start to sit on shelves not based on how much people are being able to scalp each other.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

You have to be a complete fool to pay more than MRSP at this point, one and a half years after it was released. We'll find out if the demand was met when PS5s start to sit on shelves not based on how much people are being able to scalp each other.
Ya - with the StockX price around $600-$610, this points to fewer and fewer would-be scalpers making the effort to buy $500 consoles. Once the StockX price hits $550, there's practically no reason for scalpers to put in the effort.

In stores by July 1!!!!!!!!!!! :messenger_sunglasses:

Ya - with the StockX price around $600-$610, this points to fewer and fewer would-be scalpers making the effort to buy $500 consoles. Once the StockX price hits $550, there's practically no reason for scalpers to put in the effort.

Then once people can just walk into a store and get a PS5 we'll have no more excuses for crossgen games.

Last edited:

baphomet

Scalpers haven't been buying these in bulk for a long ass time.

At $610 on stockx it's costing them:

$550 for the console with tax
$60 for the stockx fee
~$40 to have the console shipped twice.

So theyre already losing money selling them at $610.

Bluecondor

$60 for the stockx fee

Great points!

I love seeing the cold economic logic coming into place to make scalping undesirable. It's been a long time coming with the PS5, but your post is convincing me that we are near/past the end of having to buy a PS5 from scalpers.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would be surprised if there's any real correlation between StockX price and when they're available on retail shelves.

cormack12

Gold Member

There is a finite amount of impatient idiots.

I would be surprised if there's any real correlation between StockX price and when they're available on retail shelves.
I think this is also likely. StockX is probably made up of those jumping on the bandwagon late and thinking they can just buy and relist, rather than those who already have demand and reputation.

Frequent supply drops could definitely turn people away from scalpers. Doesn't seem like you have to wait an extremely long time for supply to drop when compared to before.
I was surprised when i checked Amazon and saw the PS5 ahead of the Xbox Series X on their 2022 best sellers list tbh. It was nowhere to be seen before this month.
Series S is just another beast at #21. But still sneaking up at #33 after a single month is good news in my book. Hopefully it keeps going like this.

I was surprised when i checked Amazon and saw the PS5 ahead of the Xbox Series X on their 2022 best sellers list tbh. It was nowhere to be seen before this month.
Series S is just another beast at #21. But still sneaking up at #33 after a single month is good news in my book. Hopefully it keeps going like this.

I believe supply has always been less of an issue with the XSS. I don't ever remember seeing the XSX or the PS5 on shelves but there's plenty of XSS in a store that I frequently visit. Great news for those that want one.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What would be interesting is if we could have some sort of crystal ball to see how many of these ps5s are snapped up by scalpers and then sat on and trickled out as sales to end users at the scalped prices. I have no idea what these splits could be but I would love to see it.

Hopefully soon scalpers just give up and Sony can keep stock consistent.

Iflsony are only doing say 1 big drop every month and Microsoft do 3 smaller but ultimately larger drops then that would obviously be swaying the numbers. We just need stock on everything lol.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
At this point, I am holding out for the Slim. I feel like Sony is going to release a revised version of this console sooner than they have in the past, for two reasons:

1. It needs a revision more than prior Playstation consoles, due to the size.
2. Sony are greedier than ever.
Bonus: It may also be a good way to alert people that "Hey, this console is actually available now."

Last edited:

Bluecondor

The reason why I rely on StockX to gauge future availability is that resellers on StockX have to pay a listing fee ($40?) and incur whatever tax and shipping costs (likely in the neighborhood of at least $50) they had to cover in order to purchase the console. So, if a $500 console is only selling for $610, the scalpers are really close to having to take a loss to sell them on StockX.

My simple assumption for when to set my expectations for seeing PS5s on store shelves is that we will start to see them in stores when the resale price and demand drops to around $550. If a reseller can only get $550 for a PS5, a $499 console (+ tax) on a Wal-Mart or Target shelf won't be worth the effort (or the risk of possibly taking a loss).

ReBurn

Gold Member
The reason why I rely on StockX to gauge future availability is that resellers on StockX have to pay a listing fee ($40?) and incur whatever tax and shipping costs (likely in the neighborhood of at least $50) they had to cover in order to purchase the console. So, if a $500 console is only selling for $610, the scalpers are really close to having to take a loss to sell them on StockX.

My simple assumption for when to set my expectations for seeing PS5s on store shelves is that we will start to see them in stores when the resale price and demand drops to around $550. If a reseller can only get $550 for a PS5, a $499 console (+ tax) on a Wal-Mart or Target shelf won't be worth the effort (or the risk of possibly taking a loss).
Based on what I've been seeing most retailers are prioritizing online sales over in store, so it's tough for them to get to shelves. But I'm just a moron on the internet and I don't really know anything.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It probably doesn't hurt that the PS5 is entering a game drought either. Demand will ramp back up once Ragnarok, Forspoken (lul), and hopefully a surprise multiplayer drop hits in Q3/Q4.

Bluecondor

It probably doesn't hurt that the PS5 is entering a game drought either. Demand will ramp back up once Ragnarok, Forspoken (lul), and hopefully a surprise multiplayer drop hits in Q3/Q4.
I agree that this is part of the fall in demand. Around the time Elden Ring, Gran Turismo and Horizon Zero Dawn released, the StockX price was over $700 and often $725. Other than Rannarok (and Forspoken), there aren't any big new releases in the near future.

A.Romero

Amazing to see it's still difficult to get one. I got one off Amazon (not marketplace) last november. It wasn't even hard. But the availability hasn't gotten to the point where you can blindly go to a store and get one 100% of the time but still pretty common (I just checked and they have availability right now).

They are about 700 US in my country though but that's just MSRP because taxes, import fees and such.

Is it even possible to import from Mexico? Here is the Amazon link https://www.amazon.com.mx/Consola-P...mzn1.fos.8a46d436-f8dd-421d-a49c-494b5d1632c6

Gamerguy84

Yea a big chunk of this gen got absolutely screwed over by the events going on in the world. A lot of decisions not in favor of gamers were made.

UnNamed

Banned
I think this will hurt Sony in the end. Actually, I think this thing is already damaging Sony.
Sony should stop to think sell PS5 prevalently online is a good move. You can find Series S everywhere, Series X is a little bit difficult to find. PS5 is only availabe on Gamestop with their usual shitty deals.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

$60 for the stockx fee

I love that. The scum sucking scalpers can get what they deserve. Leeches!

Top Bottom