• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the recent decade of anime is beautiful (lotta pics)

Ctrl + F Samurai Champloo

wat

In all seriousness, this is an awesome topic. Will definitely have to give these shows a go once I finish up Monster and Space Brothers.

Hi there,

I'm hoping some of you can help to suggest mature / adult anime series for men, of the last 10 years or so. With a lot of other passions taking me over, I've long been out of the anime loop.

For reference, my favourite anime series ever is Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex. I tend towards cerebral science fiction, especially of the hardboiled and pulp variety. I also like more juvenile space opera such as Macross / Robotech.

I'm currently working my way through the excellent OP, and so far I know that I would like to try Planetes, Darker Than Black, and Psycho Pass. Are there any other anime, of the past 10 years or so, which I ought to be made aware of, given my tastes ?

Thank you.

Hi there,

I'm hoping some of you can help to suggest mature / adult anime series for men, of the last 10 years or so. With a lot of other passions taking me over, I've long been out of the anime loop.

For reference, my favourite anime series ever is Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex. I tend towards cerebral science fiction, especially of the hardboiled and pulp variety. I also like more juvenile space opera such as Macross / Robotech.

I'm currently working my way through the excellent OP, and so far I know that I would like to try Planetes, Darker Than Black, and Psycho Pass. Are there any other anime, of the past 10 years or so, which I ought to be made aware of, given my tastes ?

Thank you.
You can't go wrong with Yamato 2199.

Hi there,

Thank you.

Darker Than Black and Psycho-Pass should be right up your alley. You can skip both of their second seasons in good conscience, though. Baccano! is more of a period piece, (well, several period pieces) but it sounds like something you might also be into. If you wanna go fantasy, there's Fate/Zero. Jormungand is pretty fun, it's about an arms dealer and her kooky pals.

Hi there,

Thank you.
Skip darker than black's second season, its garbage. First season is great tho.

Hi there,

Thank you.

Not exactly science fiction, but if you're into politics be sure to check Log Horizon. I've probably said this many times but LH is secretly almost social anarchist propaganda.

Nerokis

Amazing work, OP.

Not going to lie, though, the absence of Dennou Coil made me a little sad. I see the words "the recent decade of anime is beautiful," and it immediately comes to mind. I'm not sure it's available on any legitimate streaming site, which is pretty unfortunate, because it deserves to be watched by more people.

RangerBAD

Hi there,

Thank you.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hi there,

Thank you.
Space Opera:
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Banner/Crest of the Stars

Space Westerns:
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop

Cyberpunk:
Akira
Serial Experiments Lain

Giant Robots:
Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

Near Future:
Dennou Coil (a personal favorite but not quite what you're looking for so I'll throw it in with a caveat)
I don't watch much anime, but did Ghost in the Shell start in the 90's and Black Lagoon in 06?

The original GITS film (loose adaptation of the manga) was 1995 and that marked the start of anime adaptations. GITS:SAC, the first TV series, however, was a 2002/2003 production, and you can see this in its use of CG and digital coloring for that "clean", modern look.

RangerBAD

Space Opera:
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Banner/Crest of the Stars

Space Westerns:
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop

Cyberpunk:
Akira
Serial Experiments Lain

Giant Robots:
Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

Near Future Scifi:
Dennou Coil (a personal favorite but not quite what you're looking for so I'll throw it in with a caveat)

All those are good. I always wished we could have got more Banner/Crest of the Stars.

Hi there,

Thank you.

I can't guarantee that this'll all appeal to you, since some of it is pretty niche, but here are some quality genuinely mature anime from 2006-2015:

Aoi Bungaku
Asura
Dennou Coil
Eccentric Family
Giovanni's Island
Hyouka
Kaiba
Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze)
Mononoke
Mouryou no Hako
Mushishi
Ping Pong the Animation
Shiranpuri
Shounen Hollywood
Skull Man
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Tatami Galaxy
Time of Eve
When Marnie was There
The Wind Rises

Meier

Can often get an idea if I'll like a show based off the visuals and most in the OP failed that test but there are a few that were intriguing to me. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Some of the follow up responses have been beneficial as well. A shame that The Garden of Words is a film -- that looked amazing in the gifs.

Gattsu25

Banned
Can often get an idea if I'll like a show based off the visuals and most in the OP failed that test but there are a few that were intriguing to me. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Some of the follow up responses have been beneficial as well. A shame that The Garden of Words is a film -- that looked amazing in the gifs.
Fate/Zero
22766092986_02bf3927f7_h.jpg

Any of this lovely stuff on Netflix USA? Haven't actually watched any Japanese animation since I watched Beyblade and Pokemon! Recommend me stuff!

Any of this lovely stuff on Netflix USA? Haven't actually watched any Japanese animation since I watched Beyblade and Pokemon! Recommend me stuff!

Durarara!!, Psycho-Pass, Fate/stay night, Fate/Zero, Noragami, Samurai Flamenco, Mushishi, and Kill La Kill are all pretty nice shows that are on Netflix.

Do note that Samumenco and KLK are both extremely polarising.

Durarara!!, Psycho-Pass, Fate/stay night, Fate/Zero, Noragami, Samurai Flamenco, Mushishi, and Kill La Kill are all pretty nice shows that are on Netflix.

Do note that Samumenco and KLK are both extremely polarising.

Will do! Which would you recommend for a, I suppose, first time watcher?

Psycho-Pass is pretty heavy, but it's kinda like a sci-fi police procedural with an overarching plot. It's great if you have a good tolerance for violence and general messed up stuff. Noragami is kinda like the flipside. It's a fairly innocuous shonen dramedy about spirits and gods in a contemporary setting. So, light fanservice, lots of jokes, and some drama towards the end. Pretty standard stuff.

I dunno if Durarara is really entry-level, but it's my favourite so obviously you should give it a try anyway. It can seem a little repetitive and tough to follow, but when it gets going it's a lot of fun.

Fate/Zero is also just a great fantasy story, but it has the same writer as Psycho-Pass so shit gets pretty grimdark. The anime tones down the original novels' violence a lot, though. It's a prequel to Fate/stay night, but was written afterwards. I'm assuming you won't be itching to read through the 50+ hour FSN visual novel, so if you're going anime-only then watching FZ first is fine.

Mushishi, Samurai Flamenco, and Kill La Kill are all really aggressively Japanese, all in their own different way. Mushishi is heavily steeped in folklore, (knowledge of which is optional but doesn't hurt) Samumenco is like a neverending torrent of tokusatsu jokes and references, and KLK is "that" kind of "really Japanese".

Chariot

Sadly because the series isn't really about Lovecraft but it's a quite generic reference humor anime.
It has references to lovecraft as well as it has to anime, videogames and kamen rider. There are more lovecraft light novels out there, maybe one of those gets adapted some time.

Ctrl + F Samurai Champloo

wat
I loved the series until the first "thing" happened. From there it went downhill. It was what my heart yearned for.

The original GITS film (loose adaptation of the manga) was 1995 and that marked the start of anime adaptations. GITS:SAC, the first TV series, however, was a 2002/2003 production, and you can see this in its use of CG and digital coloring for that "clean", modern look.
Oops. I was totally under the impression that SAC was from 2005. Totally cheated with this, will remove it as soon as I can.

Maybe I should swap out some pictures because some are not very good. Sorry :(

crtl + f "netflix"
I linked legal streaming options for every anime.

From those as entry level? Actually only Psycho-Pass. Try Full Metal Alchemist, The Seven Deadly Sins or Guardian of the Spirit. All on Netflix.

Stopped watching anime ages ago. Came here to see what I've been missing. Doesn't look like much.

There's stuff that would appeal to Urasawa fans.

Hi there,

Thank you.

Juvenile space opera, eh? Gurren Lagann might appeal to you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oops. I was totally under the impression that SAC was from 2005. Totally cheated with this, will remove it as soon as I can.

I don't think it matters too much in this case. SAC and 2nd Gig are nearly identical visually and SAC is superior anyway.

cj_iwakura

Would definitely add Durarara!!, it constantly gets slept on here for some reason. If you even kind of like Baccano, it's a must-see.

Nice work on the OP otherwise, though.

Mist

Banned
I watched Wolf Children yesterday, partly because of this thread. Great movie. I'm glad I finally watched it.

Stopped watching anime ages ago. Came here to see what I've been missing. Doesn't look like much.

Same. Been out of the loop with anime for close to a decade now myself. Still read manga regularly, since it's just more consistent. Not really a fan of the art style they have in anime nowadays with everything with super bright/shiny colouring that seems to come from the CG side of animation nowadays, that hurts my eyes. Hated the art style they used for the new Berserk movies, then again, hate to hear how much they butchered the original manga's story, hence why I never watched them. I do miss the saturated look/dark lighting of anime in the 80s and 90s. Anything out there like Junji Ito's work being animated?

Chariot

Maybe there can be a 'runners up' section for anime that just missed the deadline by a few years?
Nice idea, but the OP is massive as it is while still lacking important entries others have called in the replies. I don't think a runner-up section would be very practicable.

Would definitely add Durarara!!, it constantly gets slept on here for some reason. If you even kind of like Baccano, it's a must-see.

Nice work on the OP otherwise, though.
I initially dropped it because it didn't fit me, shortly after I've seen Baccano.

I watched Wolf Children yesterday, partly because of this thread. Great movie. I'm glad I finally watched it.
I am happy you enjoyed the movie :)
It really is amazing.

Have you seen this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdSKot0psNg&index=20&list=PL2w4TvBbdQ3sMABf317ExCob_v6rW2-4s

Guys channel is amazing. See his Satoshi Kon video!!
Very good suggestion! Every Frame a Painting is amazing!

You can't go wrong with Yamato 2199.

Of course, I completely forgot about the remake. I've been intending to make a serious foray into Leiji Matusmoto's universe, so 2199 ought to be perfect !

Psycho-Pass should be right up your alley.

Yes, the moment I laid eyes on it I felt sure I was its intended audience.

be sure to check Log Horizon. LH is secretly almost social anarchist propaganda.

It's interesting you mentioned a show with a Simulated Reality premise. I'd been looking into the genre lately - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality_in_fiction
and I realised how much I now wish to watch / play the Dot Hack series. It's all quite expensive these days, unfortunately. But the series would make for an incredible PS4 re-master collection.

Wow, again, these Simulated / Augmented Reality premises really intrigue me - part of it is my love of science fiction, but it's also the computer game enthusiast in me. I'd no idea about this one, and thanks for your other recommendations - I've actually grown up enjoying quite a few of them.

here are some quality genuinely mature anime from 2006-2015..
Nearly all of these are new to me. There's plenty for me to research there.

P.S - I took everyone's comments & recommendations into consideration, even the ones I didn't reply to here. I appreciate and thank you all !

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Log Horizon's pretty good so far. Enjoying the English voice work and it's interesting to see the premise play out.

Chariot

I finished Tsuritama and started Tiger & Bunny thanks to the recommendations of jbug617 and Ludger Kresnik (sorry, KazenY2J, the cgi was part of what kept me from watching it in the first place. But nothing can beat a man who can wear a goatie and a cap). Very amazed. I will add both to the list at some point.

Tsuritama was one of the few shows I went in completely blind, I had no idea what it was about and was a bit confused at first. It reminded me a bit of Kyousogiga, thanks to the bright colours and unusual art style and the quirkiness. It had my interest at all times as the true story unfolded. Particularly enjoyed the natural and quick story about Yuki's social anxiety. He didn't just changed in a dramatic moment, but also didn't drag it over the whole series. Makes me think why anime seem to fail so often with this. Same for the series as a whole, everything tightly fit together in the end, there isn't much that could be dropped without compromising the ending.

I am only at episode 8 of Tiger & Bunny, but I already really like the show very much. Love me some alternative takes on heroes in modern times. Really love the visible pressure and useless stuff the tv crew is putting on the heroes, particularly Blue Rose. Not quite sure about the cgi, but it's not so much about the action scenes anyway.

Top Bottom