• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the recent decade of anime is beautiful (lotta pics)

Stanng243

It's sad. I've seen episodes from 5 of those, heard on maybe 5-10 more. Didn't realize how long it's been since I was seriously into anime.

Steven Universe is technically not anime

And it's technically not moe because those fucking giant-pupiled shiny eyelash eyes are nowhere to be found except in gags

I'm seeing a lot on those lists that wouldn't count for that definition of moe. Hell, one about Jesus and Buddha being roommates has 4 stars.

It's all about if you want to protect someone or not or something!

This guy is considered moe:
tumblr_mud8j4OguB1qkci4yo6_500.png

...Wait a minute, where the FUCK is Kaiji in that list?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm seeing a lot on those lists that wouldn't count for that definition of moe. Hell, one about Jesus and Buddha being roommates has 4 stars.

Kaiji is one of the best. It can be mind numbingly depressing in its harsh realism, but it somehow doesn't ever leave you feeling empty inside. Quite the opposite, most of the time.

UbbwJfI.jpg

Mepsi

I keep getting tempted to watch Steins;Gate as I've heard a lot of good things about it, I am however quite into VNs on the Vita. Should I watch it, or wait and play the game first?

Chariot

I added "Manga Effects" to the OP. A bit unsure with some anime, so please criticize away.

--

I also realized something. Dung Beetle from Bokurano used to remind me of Kyubey, but now I just see Monokuma.
Well, they are similar characters.
Not to mention that Madoka references Bokurano, which can lead to the assumption that Kyubey was inspired by Dung Bettle anyways.

I agree with the posts recommending Kids on a Slope, it's great. Also, i noticed the omission of that anime about the astronaut brothers? (Space Brothers i think?)

(No Space Dandy either?)
Space Dandy is there :)
And yes, Space Brothers is another well received anime I didn't watch yet. I am always a bit intimated by big episode numbers.

Amazing OP. Bravo, Chariot.

You should throw up a general rec for Nihon Animator Mihonichi shorts, which are some of the most inventive, beautiful, bizarre, and creative short animated film I think I've ever seen (though granted I haven't gotten through the Genius Party anthologies which are supposed to be even more trippy).
Thank you and nice idea! My only problem is now, that I basically exhausted the entire character limit of the OP posts. Should've put one more there, just in case. This makes it also impossible to add the many anime I forgot to add >_>

Bookmarked, but where's Kuroko no Basket? Come on, it's DBZ with basketball a.k.a hype
I watched the first season, didn't like it. It was too shounen tropey and people told me that it would just get worse in that regard. I am very happy with Haikyuu!!, Chihayafuru and Saki in the sports category.

So it gets better after Nise? It kinda made me uncomfortable but Kaiki was great. Bake was amazing but Nise...it was probably just couple of scenes though.

I always though it was Yuri Yuri!!!!
Yes, Nise is really bad. Coming Second Season isn't just better, it's amazing. If you manage to get through Nise, you're in for a lot of good.

No Ping Pong The Animation? By far my favorite anime I've watched in recent years.
Yes, I am sorry, I have planned to watch this. :(

Also realized you don't have HELLS on there, aka the best non-Gurren Lagann anime in the last decade and the best anime film period.
Huh, never heard of that. I was under the impression that I at least heard all of the important anime from the last ten years, but this thread teaches me otherwise. So much new to discover.

I started to watch it with friends and one person dropped it out because she didn't like the noses, wasn't on my mind to watch it till then :^)
I read the Akagi manga for maximum progress.
Tiger & Bunny where, OP?

Didn't watch yet :(

Huh, never heard of that. I was under the impression that I at least heard all of the important anime from the last ten years, but this thread teaches me otherwise. So much new to discover.

It's a WAY under the radar film due to only having a film festival showing in 2008 and then not getting a wider home release until 2012. Which sucks because it's downright beautiful and has some of the craziest animation and direction you'll get in an action anime film.

I made a thread about it back in 2012. This is something that should NOT be as obscure as it is when it has the production values and appeal of less obscure stuff like Dead Leaves.

Gave me the same feeling as Gurren Lagann, which is incredibly hard to do.

TheChaos0

Yes, Nise is really bad. Coming Second Season isn't just better, it's amazing. If you manage to get through Nise, you're in for a lot of good.

Oh, I got through Nise when it was airing alright. Coming from Bake how could I not watch more monogatari. But when the next season came out, I just didn't feel like bothering any more. Well, I've been meaning to start watching it again...some time next year.

Also, out of all that list in the OP, Humanity has declined was one of the biggest sleeper hits for me. I didn't know what to expect from the visuals and the description but it turned out really, really great. A sort of really weird and surreal commentary on life.

petran79

Banned
Some series are on par with the classics

Mitsuo Iso's Dennou Coil remains my favorite reguarding animation quality for the post-2006 TV series. One of the most originall and refreshing TV series every anime fan should watch
Though it was rather neglected as a kids series. Even if it had more in common with Lain, in a less soul perturbing presentation.

wallpaper-315.jpg

It's a WAY under the radar film due to only having a film festival showing in 2008 and then not getting a wider home release until 2012. Which sucks because it's downright beautiful and has some of the craziest animation and direction you'll get in an action anime film.

I made a thread about it back in 2012. This is something that should NOT be as obscure as it is when it has the production values and appeal of less obscure stuff like Dead Leaves.

Very good movie overall and also very faithfull to the manga, though I wished it deviated a little. Still one of Madhouse's best movies and at 2 hours of crazy animation.

nuh dud anime was best in the 90's

Jokes aside, nice list. Would add:

Aku no Hana
Casshern Sins
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Durarara!!
Hanasaku Iroha
Higashi no Eden
Hitsugi no Chaika
shocking truth.
Hyouka
Kuuchuu Buranko
Love Lab
Mawaru Pengindrum
Mononoke
Nagi no Asukara
Nichijou
Spice and Wolf
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Toradora!
Working!!

and some movies like Kotonoha ni Niwa and Colorful.

some other series I liked when compared to the OP's series:

Kaiba
House of Five Leaves
Mitchiko to Hatchin
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora
Panty and Stocking

Chariot

Looks great, I am going to watch this with friends. Thanks for the recommendation!

as a guy who's mostly given up on anime for about a decade (some movies here and there), this is a pretty useful thread.
I hope you find something that you can like :)

Great list, but you're missing two of the most beautiful animes of the last decade. Mononoke and Mushishi
Yes, two more shows I have yet to see. My anime backlog is starting to look worse than my Steam one.

Mitsuo Iso's Dennou Coil remains my favorite reguarding animation quality for the post-2006 TV series. One of the most originall and refreshing TV series every anime fan should watch
Though it was rather neglected as a kids series. Even if it had more in common with Lain, in a less soul perturbing presentation

some other series I liked when compared to the OP's series:

Kaiba
House of Five Leaves
Mitchiko to Hatchin
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora
Panty and Stocking
Ah! I forgot Mitchiko to Hatchin! How could I, unusual location and main characters.

I think I work out the anime I forgot and ask John Kowalski if he can edit that with some the replies with good recommendations in his post.

Nope. Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill are really off-putting. Fanservice for fanservice sake in an anime made almost 100% by dudes is annoying.

tumblr_lni7rvZUH81qclyefo1_500.jpg

Kill la Kill I'll give you, but Gurren Lagann is probably the only series with a bit of fanservice that I'd still recommend to people with a low tolerance for it.

No joke, the series is partially responsible for me losing 80 lbs and not failing out of college. It's just so damn inspiring and makes you feel like you can take on the world if you're in the right mindset.

And this was at a time when I had a VERY low tolerance for fanservice.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
This seems like a useful thread for someone who enjoys anime but hasn't watched much in a long while now. I'll have to browse through anytime I get the urge and see if something grabs my eye.

Navid

Thanks for the informative posts and pictures, as someone who enjoys animation series but is put off sorting through all the trash to find the gems out there this is a great topic for me to look though and see what grabs my interest...

Fandangox

Oh man yeah, Kaiji is great, and is the most moe character in anime. Moe isn't just "cute girls doing cute things" but that's usually what is used for.

Kaiji is great, so many tears.

I have to admit that this has sadly been the decade that made me fall out of anime quite a bit, though I'd been lying if there hasn't been some absolutely incredible gems in that time. (Fate/Zero, Season 1 of Psycho Pass, and Madoka have all leaped to my top faves list.) I also appreciate the recs, OP - I will add Usagi Drop, Tokyo Magnitude, Kyousougiga, and Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis to my watch list. The Monogatari series remains the most gorgeous show that I'm incapable of getting my head around continuity wise! There needs to be a Monogatari for Dummies book.

A bit random: did a Seirei no Moribito dub ever come out? I'm having trouble finding anything.

I also have to offer up Tsuritama, Ping Pong, Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy, Michiko & Hatchin, and Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine as recs. They are all were incredible on the art direction front, and are wonderful series that are all a bit outside the box. Even though it was often frustratingly plotless, I'll always have a soft spot for K-On! for being a beautifully animated show focused on female friendship plus the gals being a bunch of dorks.

I'm so behind with One Punch Man. I keep seeing these gorgeously animated .gifs. It's something to catch up on over the holiday break!

Daingurse

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

One of the best shounen series in existence. Based on the manga that has a worse update history than Berzerk . . .

tumblr_ns82t2dHIS1qftpdso1_500.gif

Impressive thread in terms of work OP, Jesus.

I also don't understand how Hunter x Hunter is only 2 starts on the suffering scale. The second Yorkshin starts, it's just suffering all around.

Indeed, that was the only real gripe I had with the Hunter x Hunter entry. The suffering--like everything else in this show--only escalates lol.

yukinon

Yuru Yuri
Series, 12+12+12, 25 min

“Akarin~”

Yuru Yuri is a simple slife of life series about a bunch of girls slacking off together in school, after school, in school after school and out of school. It lives completely of the interactions between the well established characters around certain topics. As the name suggests, it has a light yuri aspect and the show has real funny shipping and ship teasing. Everything of course in a adorable, innocent way. It’s a fun, light series you should watch if your life is miserable and worthless, to feel better for a moment.

Manga Effects: *****
Fanservice: -
Moe: *****
Suffering: -
Sawashiro: -

[

good job op

glad you recognize the awesomeness that is Yuru Yuri

Though it was rather neglected as a kids series. Even if it had more in common with Lain, in a less soul perturbing presentation.

Yes, Dennou Coil! Can't believe i forgot about it. Almost never see it being recommend either. It's so good!

John Blade

I am guessing this is based on 2000s till current time or just within 2005 to 2015. Well, I would put Emma: A Victorian Romance on the list mostly because of how the show doesn't feel like a typical anime show but feel like a show that could be one of those BBC drama show of the Victorian time frame. A hidden gems which make me now slowly getting into creator other work in her Manga.

FluxWaveZ

Man, I skipped through this, and this isn't anime.

There are about a million shows out there, and a whole bunch I want to watch. Combined with the hefty length of some shows I'd want to get into like One Piece, and it can get pretty overwhelming.

Still, I feel like there's no end to good shows I could get into. There are a bunch of "classics" I've never seen like Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain or Ghost in the Shell that I'd want to watch at some point, and then there are more modern shows I'd like to see.

It's good stuff, but it also means I have very little tolerance for shows I don't quickly like now.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Thanks a ton for the recommendations, I know about most of these shows but this motivates me to actually watch some of them.

Brakke

Banned
Someone explain to me how does this happen, I don't know how Japan works. 1) how many channels to Japanese households get? 2) how many of them show animes? 3) how does anybody ever keep up with anime?

I could not name this many American TV shows over the same period, I certainly didn't seen even close to this many.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Someone explain to me how does this happen, I don't know how Japan works. 1) how many channels to Japanese households get? 2) how many of them show animes? 3) how does anybody ever keep up with anime?

I could not name this many American TV shows over the same period, I certainly didn't seen even close to this many.
The people who watch anime in Japan are the same people who watch anime in America- nerds. Except for the occasional breakout hit like One Piece or Dragon Ball Z, anime isn't usually watched by a casual audience.

A lot of these shows are run for just one or two seasons (13-26 episodes), most don't have 5-10 seasons like a lot of popular American shows. Also, episodes are mostly 20 minutes long, so you can watch many shows in roughly 4-8 hours.

There are a ton of American shows, and I'm sure you could name more then what is on this list.

starsky

God damnit Chariot. Great List. Didnt expect some of the more controversial or not widely known Anime here.

Shinsekai Yori is one of the best Anime this decade.

Yes!

No Ping Pong The Animation? By far my favorite anime I've watched in recent years.

Yes!

Tiger & Bunny where, OP?

Also Yes!

And another recommendation for the Garden of Words. Prettiest anime I've watched.

Other than that, good job OP. I'll be using this list as a guide :).

Brakke

Banned
The people who watch anime in Japan are the same people who watch anime in America- nerds. Except for the occasional breakout hit like One Piece or Dragon Ball Z, anime isn't usually watched by a casual audience.

A lot of these shows are run for just one or two seasons (13-26 episodes), most don't have 5-10 seasons like a lot of popular American shows. Also, episodes are mostly 20 minutes long, so you can watch many shows in roughly 4-8 hours.

There are a ton of American shows, and I'm sure you could name more then what is on this list.

ok so. do animes run at primetime? or right after school and there just aren't any live action shows for young 'uns?

Dahbomb

Wow, it really looked like that? My memory must be fooling me.
Time for a rewatch, I guess.
That's only how the characters look in some action scenes... Caska doesn't look like that for the majority of the movies. That's really more cherry picking when Caska looks like this for most of the movies:

BerserkGoldenAgeEgg2.jpg

tumblr_mrpd18LXpf1qkw2uho1_500.gif

It's a damn shame about the CG stuff in the movies because the 2D stuff in the movies is pretty good. Only issue here is that the colors are a bit too vibrant for something like Berserk which is better suited with dark shades of colors like with the 90s series.

ok so. do animes run at primetime? or right after school and there just aren't any live action shows for young 'uns?

There are relatively few primetime anime in any given season, with the only consistent ones being kid shows on weekend mornings and early afternoon.

Most stuff aimed at adults airs in the early AM range and is generally for otakus. The exception is the Noitamina block, which is supposed to have wider appeal for adults, but that's on a season by season basis.

Despite how it appears to the rest of the world, anime is not a mainstream medium. Manga on the other hand is.

Anime makes me sad because I've really enjoyed some shows and my brief fling with it for about a year's time will always be nostalgic and yet it seems so hard to get into because there's so much out there to like but so much out there I know I'll just be wasting my time on. It's a huge commitment to get into the way I see it.

Chariot

Two episodes in of Humanity Has Declined..... I-I don't know what to say at this point.
Good, the anime is working as intended :>

damn, too bad im too lazy to put such a detailed category to stuff i watch.

also for shame that i dont see arakawa under the bridge
Dropped it early on, wasn't my jam :(

I think fan service and moe needs to be upped a star or two for Tokyo Raven. Kon brings a lot of that.
Is she really that prominent? I may have repressed the memories of her. I was really into the Douman part of the story.

I am guessing this is based on 2000s till current time or just within 2005 to 2015. Well, I would put Emma: A Victorian Romance on the list mostly because of how the show doesn't feel like a typical anime show but feel like a show that could be one of those BBC drama show of the Victorian time frame. A hidden gems which make me now slowly getting into creator other work in her Manga.
I made the cut at Fall Season 2015, Emma didn't make the cut
and for shame I gotta say, I haven't seen it.

Anime are a medium, not a genre. There are all kinds of targets groups and genres. Kids shows run in the morning, some shows on the day and most at night. Primetime not so much, since anime, that aren't kids shows, are for a particular kind of nerds. Even if some anime can occasionally attract huge flocks of other nerds (like Girls und Panzer did with the military nerds).

That's only how the characters look in some action scenes... Caska doesn't look like that for the majority of the movies. That's really more cherry picking when Caska looks like this for most of the movies:

It's a damn shame about the CG stuff in the movies because the 2D stuff in the movies is pretty good. Only issue here is that the colors are a bit too vibrant for something like Berserk which is better suited with dark shades of colors like with the 90s series.
Much better. And I think the bright colours are okay, it clashes superbly with the tone when everything went to shit.

New002

Hell of an OP, OP. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I'll definitely be referring back to this. I can't say I agree with your advice to skip the original Hellsing anime though :) I think both the original anime and Ultimate are worth watching!

Top Bottom