• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the recent decade of anime is beautiful (lotta pics)

Myriadis

That one is subscribed.
I don't watch that much anime (last things I watched to the end were Eden of the East and Terror in Resonance, both excellent animes), but I think that like any medium there are some lovely gems to find.

Kysen

I watched Shingeki no Bahamut off a gif I saw in another Gaf thread. What an incredible but short series. Well drawn characters, great fight scenes and a crazy plot.

How could the OP forget to put down Lupin as Sawashiro's role as Fujiko.

Mist

Banned
I watched Shingeki no Bahamut off a gif I saw in another Gaf thread. What an incredible but short series. Well drawn characters, great fight scenes and a crazy plot.

This show caught my eye as well. Is it fully dubbed already? I can only find that FUNimation at least has it licensed.

Nice OP by the way. Subbed for if I'm looking for a new show.

Bit of a pro-tip for lesser anime fans coming in here. Even if you're super averse to moe and fanservice, maybe don't write something off if you see something with a single star, or even 2 in those categories. There's stuff that has mass appeal among them like Black Lagoon and Bacanno.

Even then, I'd still say read the synopsis or even do further research as there's stuff that theoretically has wider appeal even for those that despise that stuff like Madoka and Saint Onii-san.

Brakke

Banned
There are relatively few primetime anime in any given season, with the only consistent ones being kid shows on weekend mornings and early afternoon.

Most stuff aimed at adults airs in the early AM range and is generally for otakus. The exception is the Noitamina block, which is supposed to have wider appeal for adults, but that's on a season by season basis.

Despite how it appears to the rest of the world, anime is not a mainstream medium. Manga on the other hand is.

Cool thanks.

Navid

Went ahead and watched Usagi Drop, really enjoyed it... though it also kinda just made me want a Yotsubato! anime now.

Edit: Think I'll give Seirei no Moribito a go next.

Chariot

Thank you to John Kowalski for being my fifths post!
I added some series I forgot and quoted some of the recommendations in this thread for people to see.

Hell of an OP, OP. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I'll definitely be referring back to this. I can't say I agree with your advice to skip the original Hellsing anime though :) I think both the original anime and Ultimate are worth watching!
Alright, maybe I am a bit too absolute with my recommendations to not watch something. I changed it up, thanks for the feedback!

The TV series is definitely fine. Also, as opposed to the Japanese one, the German opening is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G53IqcjRCo4
Damn, I always wondered why the Hellsing intro was so weirdly unfamiliar when I watched it on YouTube. Didn't know we had our own.

To my shame, there wasn't any Lupin I ever have seen :(

Went ahead and watched Usagi Drop, really enjoyed it... though it also kinda just made me want a Yotsubato! anime now.

Edit: Think I'll give Seirei no Moribito a go next.
I am happy you enjoyed it.
The next best thing to Yotsubato I know of is Non Non Biyori's Renge.

So I watched No Life, No Game and have to say that was pretty good. However, sadly, I would have liked it a lot more if it took itself more seriously. Its a great concept, and I loved watching it, but some of the gags just pulled me out of it. I will certainly wait for the second season, however, to see how he keeps beating his opponents when they have all the advantages.

Dahbomb

There weren't a lot of sports anime love in the OP but these following ones are much watch for both regular anime fans and sports anime fans:

Hajime No Ippo (3rd season wrapped recently)
Haikyuu (superb volleyball anime)
Ping Pong the Animation (unique animation style, great stuff)
Kuroko no Basketball (Pretty much completed, it's the DBZ of sports anime... only well paced)
Ace of Diamonds (solid as heck baseball anime)
Honorable mention: Baby Steps (Tennis anime)

Easily top 5 in the genre for me in past few years.

I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that Ping Pong is the first anime in a very long time to make me cry. And the good kind of crying too, the life affirming, freeing sort of crying that makes you a better person.

The only one i'd think to add would be the recent Yozakura Quartet series, an incredibly fun and constantly surprising show with better action and drama than you'd ever expect.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Bit of a pro-tip for lesser anime fans coming in here. Even if you're super averse to moe and fanservice, maybe don't write something off if you see something with a single star, or even 2 in those categories. There's stuff that has mass appeal among them like Black Lagoon and Bacanno.

Even then, I'd still say read the synopsis or even do further research as there's stuff that theoretically has wider appeal even for those that despise that stuff like Madoka and Saint Onii-san.

People should watch Saint Onii-san anyways just for the total brohood between Jesus and Buddha. It's such a warm, charming ride of a movie. It's not even that 'moe' as most casual watchers know the definition as
even if Jesus is moe as fuck

There's an anime that reimagines H.P. Lovecraft's cosmic horrors as Japanese teenage schoolgirls? Why?

Yes, and it's honestly pretty boring imo. The opening songs are really amazing, though.

Because it's public domain i guess?

I'm sure there's some Sherlock thing too.

There sure is.

eoXEnvB.png

dity

This thread reminded me of when I used to like harem/romance anime and that like was completely shattered after I actually started relationship stuff. Kind of makes a lot of the "suffering" and the such go from high to "why the hell is this bothering you?"

The rating system is a neat idea, but I dunno if it really helped all that much for series I haven't seen though. I mostly just looked at series I HAD seen and judged whether it matched up with how I felt lol.

Chariot

The only one i'd think to add would be the recent Yozakura Quartet series, an incredibly fun and constantly surprising show with better action and drama than you'd ever expect.
Thought about including Yozakura Quartet, but then I remembered that I am still confused about how the old and the new series relate to each other and what actually happened.

There's an anime that reimagines H.P. Lovecraft's cosmic horrors as Japanese teenage schoolgirls? Why?
tumblr_m2hvogVA571r9ns55o1_500.gif

People should watch Saint Onii-san anyways just for the total brohood between Jesus and Buddha. It's such a warm, charming ride of a movie. It's not even that 'moe' as most casual watchers know the definition as
even if Jesus is moe as fuck
Jesus is totally moe.

The rating system is a neat idea, but I dunno if it really helped all that much for series I haven't seen though. I mostly just looked at series I HAD seen and judged whether it matched up with how I felt lol.
It's mostly indicators that can help when you're on the edge, or when you desire something specific.

When you say it like that it sounds amazing but in reality I dropped the show after two episodes. ┐('~`;)┌
It get's more amazing when you read this blog explaining all the references in every episode. You still gotta like the humour, of course.

Calabi

Ignore Kill la Kill detractors and get naked.

I watched Kill la Kill a few days ago and liked a lot. The name put me off, but it's nothing like the name, stupid translators should have called it Cut and Cut or something. Has alot of heart and decent characters and interesting unexpected turns.

Chariot

I watched Kill la Kill a few days ago and liked a lot. The name put me off, but it's nothing like the name, stupid translators should have called it Cut and Cut or something. Has alot of heart and decent characters and interesting unexpected turns.
Not much to do with translation, Kill la Kill is the original title.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should also take a look at Gurren Lagann, a series by basically the same people, but much better in the execution of action, characters and story. Also slightly less naked people. Slightly.

dity

If you haven't seen it yet, you should also take a look at Gurren Lagann, a series by basically the same people, but much better in the execution of action, characters and story. Also slightly less naked people. Slightly.

I'd honestly say Panty & Stocking is closer to Kill la Kill.

Calabi

Well isnt the original name Kiru Ra Kiru which doesnt just mean kill, it means cut and sew.

Kill la Kill made me think it was about this girl going around murdering people, translating literally like that doesnt seem like a good idea in this case. This is like the least murderous anime I've watched. I kept wondering when is the killing going to start. I didn't mind the nakedness I thought it was funny and fit the motif and it was great how they all ended up in a naked pile at the end.

I will check out Gurren Lagann, thanks.

Chariot

Hum... i know it had lesbians. And that one gif.
cajunator.webm

I put Gurren Lagann closer because KLK has is more plot than gag and parody orientated, especially later on. P&S had episodes like the Zombie episode that had nothing to do with everything and even most of the "plot" was just a gag in and of itself. The last scene *chrm chrm*

Had to reach pretty far with 'decade' huh?
Is my english faulty? A decade are ten years, ten years back from the end of 2015 is the end of 2005, right?
Well isnt the original name Kiru Ra Kiru which doesnt just mean kill, it means cut and sew.

Kill la Kill made me think it was about this girl going around murdering people, translating literally like that doesnt seem like a good idea in this case. This is like the least murderous anime I've watched. I kept wondering when is the killing going to start. I didn't mind the nakedness I thought it was funny and fit the motif and it was great how they all ended up in a naked pile at the end.

I will check out Gurren Lagann, thanks.
Well, Trigger made a pun out of a title, but I think it's better off with that strange original title. It has impact, because of what it is. KLK has at least people intending to kill each other.

dity

I put Gurren Lagann closer because KLK has is more plot than gag and parody orientated, especially later on. P&S had episodes like the Zombie episode that had nothing to do with everything and even most of the "plot" was just a gag in and of itself. The last scene *chrm chrm*

Kill la Kill's "plot" could probably be scribbled on a piece of fortune cookie paper, lol.

Kill la Kill was practically billed as a spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann. Everything from the staff to the tone to the themes is comparable to some extent. The biggest comparison to Panty and Stocking is the fanservice, but they're different beasts otherwise.

dity

Kill la Kill was practically billed as a spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann. Everything from the staff to the tone to the themes is comparable to some extent. The biggest comparison to Panty and Stocking is the fanservice, but they're different beasts otherwise.

No, I think it's just because more people like GL because "it doesn't look like a cartoon." lmao. C'mon, we all that was the complaint about P&S back when it aired and is why people skip over it when talking about Gainax/Trigger. It's like the show doesn't exist.

Chariot

Kill la Kill's "plot" could probably be scribbled on a piece of fortune cookie paper, lol.
That much is true. That's why I didn't indlude it here. But in it's core it's trying to tell a story, opposed to P&S that basically just wants to be funny.

No, I think it's just because more people like GL because "it doesn't look like a cartoon." lmao. C'mon, we all that was the complaint about P&S back when it aired and is why people skip over it when talking about Gainax/Trigger. It's like the show doesn't exist.
I am a big fans of cartoons old and new. I liked Panty and Stocking to a certain degree. But KLK is not closer to P&S than it is to Gurren Lagann. The series are inherently trying to be two very different things. P&S is closer to Space Dandy in many ways (or vice versa).

Sword of the Stranger completely floored me. If there is a contemporary piece that fits along with Mononoke-Hime as its equal it is Sword of the Stranger.

It is an absolute masterpiece. A classic for the ages. A true Action Adventure film. It's an anime film for your friends that hate anime. It's not contrived, it's not slow, it hits hard and it hits impressively. The music, animation. Even minor characters moves the plot forward. And it has a final showdown that gives manly tears.

Wolf Children was amazing, but i am also a massive fan of Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars. All 3 of them are incredible. They have so much heart and personality and the character design is amazing.
Summer Wars.. had so many things going on. I'm waiting day after day, of getting a chance to see Bakemono No Ko. I am sure it's going to disappoint me but I still want to see it.

dity

That much is true. That's why I didn't indlude it here. But in it's core it's trying to tell a story, opposed to P&S that basically just wants to be funny.

I am a big fans of cartoons old and new. I liked Panty and Stocking to a certain degree. But KLK is not closer to P&S than it is to Gurren Lagann. The series are inherently trying to be two very different things. P&S is closer to Space Dandy in many ways (or vice versa).

Well, if having the continous-cliff-hanger anime style plot is what makes it similar than alright-

But P&S is still about young women who transform into very sexually-charged magical outfits with unique weapons that come from household objects/clothes and they go to a crazy high school sometimes with an out of whack social system that depends an almost dictatorship-esque ruling body of "government". Also they go on missions to rid people of ghosts, similar to destroying life fibres.

It always seemed way more similar to me.

Chariot

Sword of the Stranger completely floored me. If there is a contemporary piece that fits along with Mononoke-Hime as its equal it is Sword of the Stranger.

It is an absolute masterpiece. A classic for the ages. A true Action Adventure film. It's an anime film for your friends that hate anime. It's not contrived, it's not slow, it hits hard and it hits impressively. The music, animation. Even minor characters moves the plot forward. And it has a final showdown that gives manly tears.

Wolf Children was amazing, but i am also a massive fan of Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars. All 3 of them are incredible. They have so much heart and personality and the character design is amazing.
Summer Wars.. had so many things going on. I'm waiting day after day, of getting a chance to see Bakemono No Ko. I am sure it's going to disappoint me but I still want to see it.
Well, said. The fight scenes completely threw me off in how uncompromising they were.
Especially in the end battle that was just multiple factions slaughtering each other like hell.

Well, if having the continous-cliff-hanger anime style plot is what makes it similar than alright-

But P&S is still about young women who transform into very sexually-charged magical outfits with unique weapons that come from household objects/clothes and they go to a crazy high school sometimes with an out of whack social system that depends an almost dictatorship-esque ruling body of "government". Also they go on missions to rid people of ghosts, similar to destroying life fibres.

It always seemed way more similar to me.
If you abstract it in this weird, forced way. But KLK and Gurren Lagann can be simply abstracted into fighting for freedom against odds and a system that views itself as rational. P&S is a gag series that does all kind of things, most of them for gags.

I love Panty & Stocking, but it is primarily a comedy with few action heavy episodes. There is a very loose overarching plot that lends itself to episodic content. It's different from the forward-moving nature of TTGL and KLK, which have similar themes of progress, believing in yourself, etc. Also, the revival moment in ep 3 of KLK mirrors the one in ep 11 in TTGL perfectly. The series was very clearly meant to echo back to it more than P&S.

I'll give you the conceptual similarities, what with them both being over the top magical girl series that takes more cues from Cutie Honey and other Go Nagai works over the more modern Sentai/Sailor Moon formula, but that's it really.

dity

If you abstract it in this weird, forced way. But KLK and Gurren Lagann can be simply abstracted into fighting for freedom against odds and a system that views itself as rational. P&S is a gag series that does all kind of things, most of them for gags.
But I didn't make it that simple. I think the themes are just more similar between the two overall.

And honestly, I thought KLK was mostly comedic overall anyway. There was a couple of more serious plot moments, but eh if I wanted a show like KLK and you recommended me GL I'd probably come out of it like "wtf?"

When I ask for an anime rec, I'm most likely not looking for "does the pot develop similarly" but "are the concepts similar". Dunno how other people work though. Like even if KLK and GL have similarly developing plots they're like way different things to me.

Crayolan

That OP is sick. I don't actually watch anime all that often but this is a lot more in depth than any other recommendation thread I've seen so I'll definitely refer to this for stuff in the future.

I see that Steven Universe

Chariot

OP now includes direct links to legal streaming sites Funimation, hulu, Netflix and Crunchyroll when available and I formatted the entries a bit. Hopefully that makes it a bit easier to read. Thanks to John Kowalski, Mostmanlyman and Sölf for their help!
Also added some more anime, like Panty and Stocking for good measure.

--

But I didn't make it that simple. I think the themes are just more similar between the two overall.

And honestly, I thought KLK was mostly comedic overall anyway. There was a couple of more serious plot moments, but eh if I wanted a show like KLK and you recommended me GL I'd probably come out of it like "wtf?"

When I ask for an anime rec, I'm most likely not looking for "does the pot develop similarly" but "are the concepts similar". Dunno how other people work though. Like even if KLK and GL have similarly developing plots they're like way different things to me.
KLK is only slightly more comedic than Gurren Lagann. Gurren Lagann took itself not very serious most of the time.

I was wondering about what japanese people would think seeing a thread like this. Seeing westerners being into anime and talking about it like people do in this thread.
I found this video on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od5gmTJJS6c

Very interesting and surprising!

Manners really do seem to be incredible important to them! I thought that was just a stereotype?

I wonder though if Japanese people think the last decade of anime is really good too? would our tastes collide? For example, Cowboy Bebop- That was never really that big in Japan was it? Maybe there are some animes that lend themselves better to the west than in Japan?

I wonder though if Japanese people think the last decade of anime is really good too? would our tastes collide? For example, Cowboy Bebop- That was never really that big in Japan was it? Maybe there are some animes that lend themselves better to the west than in Japan?

Wrong. Cowboy Bebop was and continues to be very popular in Japan - both the original disc release and the relatively recent BD boxset sold quite well there.

Top Bottom