• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega Saturn's hidden gems..

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Akuza89

So many good saturn games.
During my time collecting retro games i've accidentally accrued a sizeable collection of saturn games.

I am aware it's on other platforms (playstation mainly) but croc on saturn plays so well to me.
The Clockwork knight games are good fun though!

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Recent video posted, which brings to light some of the less-talked about games on Sega's ill fated 32 bit entry into the gaming scene....never knew there was a Darius Gaiden, amongst other notable titles mentioned in the video;

Nadia from what we do in the shadows has a YouTube channel?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Shining Force 3 and PDS would like to have a word :messenger_halo:
Actually, yea, SF3 (the Japanese release) is the best RPG on Saturn. I've been dying to play the English translation but burned games always have issues for me. A Satiator is gonna be my next big Saturn purchase.

I don't think PDS is the best RPG on Saturn. However, I think it's safe to say that it's the best game on Saturn, just not best RPG.

Kokoloko85

Actually, yea, SF3 (the Japanese release) is the best RPG on Saturn. I've been dying to play the English translation but burned games always have issues for me. A Satiator is gonna be my next big Saturn purchase.

I don't think PDS is the best RPG on Saturn. However, I think it's safe to say that it's the best game on Saturn, just not best RPG.
Same for me.
I was a backer for the Satiator but havent bought one yet. Next year. I had no issues playing PDS recently on macbook emulator, multi disc saves too. Wires saturn constroller, The emulators are getting better and better. But Classic hardware and mods + satiator is my next set up

What genre would you class PDS if not RPG? I really enjoy the battle system. But yeah SF3 for me as best RPG.
I also rate Grandia alot

fart town usa

Gold Member
Same for me.
I was a backer for the Satiator but havent bought one yet. Next year. I had no issues playing PDS recently on macbook emulator, multi disc saves too. Wires saturn constroller, The emulators are getting better and better. But Classic hardware and mods + satiator is my next set up

What genre would you class PDS if not RPG? I really enjoy the battle system. But yeah SF3 for me as best RPG.
I also rate Grandia alot
I definitely consider PDS a RPG, it's just that I don't think it's the best RPG when it comes to exploration, depth*, etc. when compared to some of the other offerings on Saturn. *Not that there isn't depth, lots of things to uncover when it comes to morphing your dragon.

SF3 and STHA will have you taking down notes on a piece of paper, pouring over menus/stats, planning out tactics, and in the case of STHA, you'll be drawing out maps and grinding like mad to have enough supplies to make it through the dungeon. Those games are much longer too.

I view PDS as an action-RPG with a gameplay hook that strongly fits in with lots of modern AAA game design. Namely that it's really linear, huge emphasis on cinematic presentation, not too difficult, relatively short but also good replay value. Don't get me wrong though, PDS is fucking amazing, 10/10, as good as people make it out to be, etc. It blows my mind how amazing it is. I'm actually doing a no-commentary playthrough of the Japanese version right now. I own the physical of that. As good as the story is, the gameplay, music, graphics are what make it memorable for me so I'm happy to play it in Japanese since it's a reliable route for me. It is beyond amazing how forward thinking this game is and Team Andromeda completely nailed it. The game literally puts me in awe at times, like I'm staring into the face of some ancient God. lol.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'd kill to play Dark Savior on Saturn. It might be shit but I loved Landstalker as a young un (I know the isometric view sucks) and never played Dark Savior.

I have Alundra but fuck it I want it now
Give It To Me Want GIF

Ozzie666

I've been stalking Saturn systems on-line, had the feeling to grab one again. Saturn and ram cart and satiator would be pretty good. But I'm concerned how much life these systems have left in them without needing recapping and services. Never know what you are getting.

TLZ

Banned
I can't stand lady decade or her partner who looks like he needs a good toothbrush. XD

Was hoping this would be about anyone else that talks about Saturn stuff 😔
Same. I clicked on the thread excitedly then saw her face and was instantly disappointed.

I watched one video of hers a long time ago and found her annoying. Is she still the same? (Yes I'm nudging you to watch it instead of me 🤣)

Crayon

I'd kill to play Dark Savior on Saturn. It might be shit but I loved Landstalker as a young un (I know the isometric view sucks) and never played Dark Savior.

I have Alundra but fuck it I want it now
Give It To Me Want GIF

After 20+years on my backlog, I finally pulled it off the shelf recently and I loved it. I was fighting the controls for a bit, but I have a good tolerance for that sort of thing and once I got used to that it was just lovely.

SirTerry-T

Dark Saviour was/is awesome and it reviewed pretty well at the time too.
Brought it day one on its UK release and loved it v
Is it one of those revisionist type of deals (that Sega's games seem to attract) that it is now considered shit????

Cattlyst

Ah, I see the Saturn is now also becoming the system everybody bought back in the day but somehow still failed. Interesting. Also: hard pass on Lady Decade videos.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I can't stand lady decade or her partner who looks like he needs a good toothbrush. XD

Yup ever since I noticed her videos were just redos of his old videos using the same script and footage it soured me completely.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been stalking Saturn systems on-line, had the feeling to grab one again. Saturn and ram cart and satiator would be pretty good. But I'm concerned how much life these systems have left in them without needing recapping and services. Never know what you are getting.
Japanese Saturns are pretty affordable. Easy to find a power cord that works with it too, I use the OG XBOX cord (NA).

Biggest risk is if the memory slot doesn't read your PAR cart, but Satiator would make it region free regardless.

Such a fantastic console, hope you get one soon.

Saturn has beat to death on YouTube over the past several years. Doubt there any gems that are "hidden" anymore.

Doesn't mean I won't still watch it, being the Saturn addict that I am

Japanese Saturns are pretty affordable. Easy to find a power cord that works with it too, I use the OG XBOX cord (NA).

Biggest risk is if the memory slot doesn't read your PAR cart, but Satiator would make it region free regardless.

Such a fantastic console, hope you get one soon.
Yeah, I picked up a Saturn earlier this year and the Japanese Saturns were the cheapest. There are still some out there in great shape, I lucked out and my Model 2 basically has zero marks or dings other than it is slightly starting to yellow.

I honestly haven't used it a ton, but Magic Knight Rayearth was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica frequently keeps us informed when his vids pop up.

But yeah, LD rattles off a lot of typical talking points.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I have done literally nothing except play Sega Rally today. I FINALLY got first place on the third track and the Lakeside. I have been rewatching the replay for 30 minutes, basking in my glory. I rule.

I’ve been playing a lot of Manx TT.
Not many tracks to these old arcade racers but to hone your skills can be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

cireza

No limited inventory and more action oriented than RE. This makes it a game that is much more fun to play. I can't stand RE and its inventory management anymore.

Otherwise people should check Vandal Hearts. The game has been English patched and this is a very high quality game. The patch is of excellent quality as well. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Dark Saviour was/is awesome and it reviewed pretty well at the time too.
Brought it day one on its UK release and loved it v
Is it one of those revisionist type of deals (that Sega's games seem to attract) that it is now considered shit????
I didn't call it shit. I said it could be shit and I'd still want to play it as I loved Landstalker. That is the main Saturn game I'd love to play.

Glad to know I'll be in for a treat if I get the chance to play it

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Same. I clicked on the thread excitedly then saw her face and was instantly disappointed.

I watched one video of hers a long time ago and found her annoying. Is she still the same? (Yes I'm nudging you to watch it instead of me 🤣)
No chance of me watching it buddy haha.

But you can watch this, her and her fella have been ripped to shreds recently after lying to their fan base and trying to get them to harass/bully someone's who's intellectual property they used.

& Trying to scam money out of their fans 🤷‍♂️

TLZ

Banned
No chance of me watching it buddy haha.

But you can watch this, her and her fella have been ripped to shreds recently after lying to their fan base and trying to get them to harass/bully someone's who's intellectual property they used.

& Trying to scam money out of their fans 🤷‍♂️

She looks so fake in that video.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
:messenger_grinning_squinting:..what is it about Christmas that gets everyone so nostalgic for the Sega Saturn.

Seems to be the case far more than the other two consoles of the era.

Top Bottom