• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega Saturn's hidden gems..

RAIDEN1

Tkruxri.jpg
c4YYFzc.jpg

My two all time favorites. Miss the golden Sega years. To this day Genesis is my all time favorite console.
I wouldn't exactly say the Sega Saturn was a "golden time" for Sega, anything but that...from a position of being a top competitor in 1991/1993....to then falling down badly...during the Saturn era is anything but that....

cireza

I wouldn't exactly say the Sega Saturn was a "golden time" for Sega, anything but that...from a position of being a top competitor in 1991/1993....to then falling down badly...during the Saturn era is anything but that....
It was in terms of creativity and remained true during the Dreamcast gen.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I was talking more Master Sysytem and Genesis, but I did enjoy my Saturn, a lot. The Dreamcast was awesome too, but the PS2 crushed it. Still remember the Dreamcast coming with a built in 56k modem. Playing NFL 2K with friends online was bliss.

RAIDEN1

I was talking more Master Sysytem and Genesis, but I did enjoy my Saturn, a lot. The Dreamcast was awesome too, but the PS2 crushed it. Still remember the Dreamcast coming with a built in 56k modem. Playing NFL 2K with friends online was bliss.
Basically the Dreamcast was everything the Saturn SHOULD have been....

Kokoloko85

I definitely consider PDS a RPG, it's just that I don't think it's the best RPG when it comes to exploration, depth*, etc. when compared to some of the other offerings on Saturn. *Not that there isn't depth, lots of things to uncover when it comes to morphing your dragon.

SF3 and STHA will have you taking down notes on a piece of paper, pouring over menus/stats, planning out tactics, and in the case of STHA, you'll be drawing out maps and grinding like mad to have enough supplies to make it through the dungeon. Those games are much longer too.

I view PDS as an action-RPG with a gameplay hook that strongly fits in with lots of modern AAA game design. Namely that it's really linear, huge emphasis on cinematic presentation, not too difficult, relatively short but also good replay value. Don't get me wrong though, PDS is fucking amazing, 10/10, as good as people make it out to be, etc. It blows my mind how amazing it is. I'm actually doing a no-commentary playthrough of the Japanese version right now. I own the physical of that. As good as the story is, the gameplay, music, graphics are what make it memorable for me so I'm happy to play it in Japanese since it's a reliable route for me. It is beyond amazing how forward thinking this game is and Team Andromeda completely nailed it. The game literally puts me in awe at times, like I'm staring into the face of some ancient God. lol.

Totally agree with everything you said.
What a great not typical ending too. I never played the games after so not sure if it got the story sequel it deserved

fart town usa

Gold Member
Albert Odyssey is a solid RPG too, not sure if it's underrated or overrated.

It definitely sells for far more than it's worth, not that it's a bad game but it's incredibly basic even compared to other RPGs at the time and the load time in and out of battles is pretty rough, Japanese version is even worse according to the Working Designs translation notes.

The pixel art is great though and the OST is hands down the best thing about the game. I also love the Working Designs/Vic Ireland translation. Gives it a total 90s vibe.

Overworld Theme

dave_d

That game is absolutely nuts. Next to PDS, I think RS might be the 2nd most impressive game on the Saturn. The visuals in it are stunning.
Admittedly even though PDS was a top Saturn game, given when it actually came out part of me wishes they ported it mid-development to the Dreamcast and had it as a launch title.

dave_d

BTW this reminds me I really should try Langrisser 4 & 5. I have both for the Saturn and they've been on my backlog. I'm guessing they're probably pretty solid games but I can't say for sure. (I know they ran in Saturn emulators when I tried out my discs.)

cireza

Basically the Dreamcast was everything the Saturn SHOULD have been....
The Saturn is a product of 1994, conceived during the years before this date. It could have never been the Dreamcast. The way they made their console makes perfect sense for such an early age of 3D at budget price for the home market + wanting to include proper 2D as well.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

The Saturn is a product of 1994, conceived during the years before this date. It could have never been the Dreamcast. The way they made their console makes perfect sense for such an early age of 3D at budget price for the home market + wanting to include proper 2D as well.
What I mean is, it was a system that was developer friendly, which the Saturn was not, teaming up with Microsoft made it even more easier to develop for....unlike the Saturn which was haphazardly put together and Sega taking their eye of the ball with the release of the 32x when they thought their position was in imminent danger due to Atari's 64 bit behemoth on the horizon....

cireza

unlike the Saturn which was haphazardly put together
Well this certainly isn't the case. Everything was done on purpose, obviously. Anybody who takes time to look at its architecture can easily understands why every component is there.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Sorry for derailing, this cracks me up though ❤️

I remember the video on her channel where she responds to people who suggest her to open a Onlyfans account and say don't comment on her boobs.

Her videos are pretty boring, not bad I would say, but basically a copy of those on Top Hat Gamer channel, her husband/partner.

Reactions: TLZ

Kruza

I have done literally nothing except play Sega Rally today. I FINALLY got first place on the third track and the Lakeside. I have been rewatching the replay for 30 minutes, basking in my glory. I rule.

Congrats! Finishing in first place on both Mountain and Lakeside stages is still no easy task!

RAIDEN1

I wish Sega really grew, and grew to become playstation’s current main competitor

The irony is that one of the founding fathers of Sega- David Rosen- if I am correct always thought that Sega would have been better of being in the software business from the get go instead of going into hardware....they should have pulled out after the Saturn debacle, could have saved a ton of money more so because with the Dreamcast they had no margin for error considering Sony were going to come back even stronger...

Well generally speaking, unless you're an active part of the retro gaming community and have a moderate interest in the Sega Saturn, almost everything on it is a hidden gem. It's one of the very few consoles in existence that still retains a huge number of high quality exclusives. And whether or not you're playing on an emulator or on a (modded) original machine, it's worth investing time in its library. A lot of unique, memorable experiences are there that transcend the obsolete technology they're on.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just ordered a Japan Saturn 3D Controller and Nights/Christmas Nights.

ZXNtbyA.jpg
vitQEhD.jpg

Roughly $76 total. Not too bad.

Any thoughts/comments on the 3D controller? Always wanted to try it out, I'm not the biggest fan of Nights but always wanted to try it with the analog stick. Playing Azel with the analog should be interesting too.

Holy shit, it just dawned on me that the Saturn 3D controller is basically what the Dreamcast would go with, lol. Never registered with me how similar they are in design. Thankfully the saturn has the cord at the top of the controller instead of the bottom (Dreamcast).

edit- Also ordered a repro copy of Shining Force 3, english translation. Really hope it works. i have repro discs from the 90s and they work flawlessly but I always have issues with my own burned games. Nice stop gap until I get a Satiator.

ALSO, I ordered the component cables and saturn adaptor, no hard mod required. Awesome stuff. My buddy just got a CRT and I've been helping him with picking out gear, he totally renewed my interest in my Saturn gear and got me fiending again, lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

ZXNtbyA.jpg
vitQEhD.jpg

Any thoughts/comments on the 3D controller? Always wanted to try it out, I'm not the biggest fan of Nights but always wanted to try it with the analog stick. Playing Azel with the analog should be interesting too.

Holy shit, it just dawned on me that the Saturn 3D controller is basically what the Dreamcast would go with, lol. Never registered with me how similar they are in design. Thankfully the saturn has the cord at the top of the controller instead of the bottom (Dreamcast).

edit- Also ordered a repro copy of Shining Force 3, english translation. Really hope it works. i have repro discs from the 90s and they work flawlessly but I always have issues with my own burned games. Nice stop gap until I get a Satiator.

ALSO, I ordered the component cables and saturn adaptor. My buddy just got a CRT and I've been helping with with picking out gear, he totally renewed my interest in my Saturn gear and got me fiending again, lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I had the US version of that controller at one point. Definitely the ideal way to play Nights. The only other games I can remember using that controller for were Daytona and I think Sonic Jam.

dave_d

ZXNtbyA.jpg
vitQEhD.jpg

ALSO, I ordered the component cables and saturn adaptor, no hard mod required. Awesome stuff. My buddy just got a CRT and I've been helping him with picking out gear, he totally renewed my interest in my Saturn gear and got me fiending again, lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I thought the 3d pad felt reasonably good. Actually I always hoped that somebody would have made an adapter so I could used it on the Dreamcast instead of the DC controller. (Which you would have thought someone would have done since you can disconnect the cable.) Actually doesn't Burning Rangers also use it?

Meicyn

Gold Member
I thought the 3d pad felt reasonably good. Actually I always hoped that somebody would have made an adapter so I could used it on the Dreamcast instead of the DC controller. (Which you would have thought someone would have done since you can disconnect the cable.) Actually doesn't Burning Rangers also use it?
I definitely preferred it over the Dreamcast controller, due to buttons and cable placement. It really struck me as bizarre that they went with four face buttons, causing there to be less inputs than the Saturn.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, Burning Rangers utilizes it. Here's a full list.

Cool to know that Powerslave, Quake, and DN3D all use it, I have burned copies of those, will have to give it a try. Powerslave on Saturn is great, remastered version is the definitive way to play but Saturn is definitely close 2nd compared to the other versions of the game.

edit- Deep Fear too, that'll be cool. Great game.

Last edited:

dave_d

I definitely preferred it over the Dreamcast controller, due to buttons and cable placement. It really struck me as bizarre that they went with four face buttons, causing there to be less inputs than the Saturn.
Same here. I mean I always liked the 6-buttons on the front for fighters, which there were quite a few on the DC. Plus the Sega D-pad was better for them as well. Actually come to think of it I thought the analog control was smoother than the DC. Pretty much everything on the DC controller was a step down from the Saturn one.(didn't even the triggers on the DC pad break?)

Naked Lunch

Cool to know that Powerslave, Quake, and DN3D all use it, I have burned copies of those, will have to give it a try. Powerslave on Saturn is great, remastered version is the definitive way to play but Saturn is definitely close 2nd compared to the other versions of the game.

Only certain versions of Sega Rally (Netlink and Plus) work with the 3D controller, and that is the vastly superior way to go.
That Saturn Sega Rally port is so good - might be the best console racing game of all time to this day.

I also use the 3D pad for Panzer Dragoon Zwei - improves that one drastically too. Theres a bug using it with zwei though if you have the berserk attack mapped to one of the buttons. You just have to remap it from that button and it works fine.

I love the Saturn 3D controller - much more comfortable than the Dreamcast's pad. Its because that had to make room for the silly VMU slots and screen windows.

dave_d

I had to double check, apparently the triggers and the analog pad are both hall effect sensors. So on the big plus side no worries about stick drift on the 3d pad.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Same here. I mean I always liked the 6-buttons on the front for fighters, which there were quite a few on the DC. Plus the Sega D-pad was better for them as well. Actually come to think of it I thought the analog control was smoother than the DC. Pretty much everything on the DC controller was a step down from the Saturn one.(didn't even the triggers on the DC pad break?)
Man, I would have loved using the Saturn controller to play Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the Dreamcast. Six buttons plus a far superior d-pad. It’s wild to me how much of a downgrade the Dreamcast controller was. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if they skimped on capability because they worked around making the VMU central to the experience while having to work around pricing constraints. Unfortunate really, since I never cared for the VMUs, as all it did was add unnecessary weight in my view.

Naked Lunch

Man, I would have loved using the Saturn controller to play Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the Dreamcast. Six buttons plus a far superior d-pad. It’s wild to me how much of a downgrade the Dreamcast controller was. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if they skimped on capability because they worked around making the VMU central to the experience while having to work around pricing constraints. Unfortunate really, since I never cared for the VMUs, as all it did was add unnecessary weight in my view.
Yeah it was all about the gimmicky VMU stuff - that explains all the issues. Even the DC's wire was facing the wrong way because of that and the wire was so short on top of that, heh.

Have you tried the Saturn's port of Alpha 3 (zero 3)? Its probably the best home port of that era, even in comparison to the next gen versions that followed Saturn (DC/PS1-2).

dave_d

Yeah it was all about the gimmicky VMU stuff - that explains all the issues. Even the DC's wire was facing the wrong way because of that and the wire was so short on top of that, heh.
It's sad that they tried to effectively create the next Tamagotchi with the VMUs. I don't think I ever played one of the games on the VMU itself and I really didn't look at the screen while playing the DC since it was so small and pixelated.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Have you tried the Saturn's port of Alpha 3 (zero 3)? Its probably the best home port of that era, even in comparison to the next gen versions that followed Saturn (DC/PS1-2).
I haven’t… what makes it better than the Dreamcast version?

Man, I have an urge to fire up Shining Force 3 all of a sudden.

fart town usa

Gold Member

I just learned yesterday while browsing Saturn fan sites that Zero 3 is even on the console. I had no idea.

I have a 90s repro of Zero 2 and man, it's probably my favorite fighting game. It's so fluid, feels almost like a beat-em-up to me than a standard fighter. Maybe that's cause I always play as Guy but all the same, it's damn fun to play for someone who doesn't play fighters too much.

Naked Lunch

I haven’t… what makes it better than the Dreamcast version?

Man, I have an urge to fire up Shining Force 3 all of a sudden.
Im almost certain the Dreamcast and PS1 port of Alpha 3 have missing frames of animation - the Saturn version basically is the arcade game - it uses the 4mb ram cart. I remember reading the DC port was rushed back then. The DC port felt off to me - and playing it on the stock DC pad is godawful.

The biggest reason to play it on Saturn, of course, is to use the actual Saturn pad.

The Saturn port of Alpha/Zero 3 is one of the stranger releases I can think of being that it released after the Dreamcast version. It goes to show the popularity of the Saturn in Japan.

I just learned yesterday while browsing Saturn fan sites that Zero 3 is even on the console. I had no idea.

I have a 90s repro of Zero 2 and man, it's probably my favorite fighting game. It's so fluid, feels almost like a beat-em-up to me than a standard fighter. Maybe that's cause I always play as Guy but all the same, it's damn fun to play for someone who doesn't play fighters too much.
Alpha 2 is my fav if the Alpha series. Love the character set - music and backgrounds. It had a more serious tone. As a kid I was stuck on with watered down SNES port but I still played it to death.

Didnt like all the silly isms of 3 and the gameplay was too crazy fast in 3 as well. In the sf 30th anniversary alpha 3 port you cant even chose the game speed when playing online - its stuck in ridiculous super fast turbo mode. No clue why they didnt give Alpha 2 online play on that port.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
At the risk of angering my fellow Saturn fanatics, is it too much for me to say that Astal and Guardian Legends are incredibly overrated and mediocre games?

Astal is comical in how large everything is and the gameplay just doesn't do anything for me. Almost seems like a tech demo. The music is pretty great though. As for Guardian Legends, I'd give it a pass if it were anyone other than Treasure. GL is just boring as can be for me and incredibly underwhelming when it comes to other Treasure games. I also don't see the point of the horizontal transition. It looks kind of stylish but 2D brawlers already allow you to move up and down the screen. Maybe I'm just being dumb and didn't grasp the horizontal transition mechanic.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Im almost certain the Dreamcast and PS1 port of Alpha 3 have missing frames of animation - the Saturn version basically is the arcade game - it uses the 4mb ram cart. I remember reading the DC port was rushed back then. The DC port felt off to me - and playing it on the stock DC pad is godawful.

The biggest reason to play it on Saturn, of course, is to use the actual Saturn pad.

The Saturn port of Alpha/Zero 3 is one of the stranger releases I can think of being that it released after the Dreamcast version. It goes to show the popularity of the Saturn in Japan.
That’s fascinating, I honestly had stopped buying anything Saturn related once the Dreamcast hit US shores. I think the last Saturn product I ever had was the Shining Force 3 Premium Disc received direct from Camelot back in the day.

At the risk of angering my fellow Saturn fanatics, is it too much for me to say that Astal and Guardian Legends are incredibly overrated and mediocre games?

Astal is comical in how large everything is and the gameplay just doesn't do anything for me. Almost seems like a tech demo. The music is pretty great though. As for Guardian Legends, I'd give it a pass if it were anyone other than Treasure. GL is just boring as can be for me and incredibly underwhelming when it comes to other Treasure games. I also don't see the point of the horizontal transition. It looks kind of stylish but 2D brawlers already allow you to move up and down the screen. Maybe I'm just being dumb and didn't grasp the horizontal transition mechanic.
Nah, you aren’t alone, I didn’t care for either game. And while we’re on the subject of bad games, add Sonic R to the list. Great soundtrack, fantastic visuals, awful to play. All the characters control like spinning tops, I never felt like there was precision to the controls like you got from Mario Kart 64 when those games were going head to head.

Hilariously, the Toys’R’Us that had those demo kiosks for Sonic R and Mario Kart 64 months later had Panzer Dragoon Saga for sale, I got it for $20 since they were dropping everything Saturn related. Best purchase to date.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That’s fascinating, I honestly had stopped buying anything Saturn related once the Dreamcast hit US shores. I think the last Saturn product I ever had was the Shining Force 3 Premium Disc received direct from Camelot back in the day.

Nah, you aren’t alone, I didn’t care for either game. And while we’re on the subject of bad games, add Sonic R to the list. Great soundtrack, fantastic visuals, awful to play. All the characters control like spinning tops, I never felt like there was precision to the controls like you got from Mario Kart 64 when those games were going head to head.

Hilariously, the Toys’R’Us that had those demo kiosks for Sonic R and Mario Kart 64 months later had Panzer Dragoon Saga for sale, I got it for $20 since they were dropping everything Saturn related. Best purchase to date.
Yea dude, Sonic R is truly awful. I'll give it another go with the 3D controller but I don't expect improvements. You just slide everywhere in the game and it's so easy to fall off the track. An unplayable nightmare the few times I've tried it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Naked Lunch

Never got into Astal myself but Guardian Heroes is all about the juggles man. Plus the branching paths, gotta love those. You have more attacking/defending options compared to really any other beatem in existence. Its like a fighting game brought to the beatem up genre. Even the battle mode was cool - pick the tiny bunny character.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Never got into Astal myself but Guardian Heroes is all about the juggles man. Plus the branching paths, gotta love those. You have more attacking/defending options compared to really any other beatem in existence. Its like a fighting game brought to the beatem up genre. Even the battle mode was cool - pick the tiny bunny character.
I'll have to go back and revisit it. I didn't get that vibe at all but like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if I was approaching the game all wrong.

Top Bottom