• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega Saturn's hidden gems..

fart town usa

Gold Member
Never heard of Shining Force 3. Whats the best and easiest way to play it nowadays?
Emulation, or repro if you have a pseudo Saturn/mod chip. You can also go the ODE route but that's gonna cost some money.

Shining Force 3 in NA only had the 1 game, legit copies are crazy expensive and it's not even the full game. In Japan, SF3 was a trilogy and your save connected to each game and carried things over like Mass Effect. There's been an English translation available for years now.

Go the emulator route if you don't have a modded Saturn or pseudo Saturn. I actually ordered a SF3 (english) repro out of curiosity, should be here Friday. My Saturn has a mod chip but my own burns are hit and miss, I have repros from the 90s that work flawlessly though.

Last edited:

dave_d

Emulation, or repro if you have a pseudo Saturn/mod chip. You can also go the ODE route but that's gonna cost some money.

Shining Force 3 in NA only had the 1 game, legit copies are crazy expensive and it's not even the full game. In Japan, SF3 was a trilogy and your save connected to each game and carried things over like Mass Effect. There's been an English translation available for years now.

Go the emulator route if you don't have a modded Saturn or pseudo Saturn. I actually ordered a SF3 (english) repro out of curiosity, should be here Friday. My Saturn has a mod chip but my own burns are hit and miss, I have repros from the 90s that work flawlessly though.
Wait, there's now translations for Part 2 and 3? I've had them for years and never got around to playing them since there was no translation at the time. (Probably the early 2000s.) I probably should go find them. (Actually I should check to see if there's a Princess Crown translation.)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Actually I should check to see if there's a Princess Crown translation.
There isn't. Just one in dev for like a decade now. Either it will release or it's a scam stopping other teams from taking it on all this time.

Alexios

People used to suggest me Terra Phantastica. No idea what the game is about, and no way to play it since it's JPN only.
It's an SRPG. A promising translation project started recently but will take a while, if it's ever done, as it has a lot of text. Same for Wachenroder, another SRPG.

Mystaria/Blazing Heroes is one that did release in English back then but looks fairly ugly and didn't get much attention though it's supposedly worthwhile. There's a Jp only sequel too.

Last edited:

I checked some prices and Shinning Force III Scenario 1, 2 and 3 (the japanese imports) are cheap as hell considering the platform they're on. I'd buy all of them just to have a physical collection of them, then i'd rip them, apply the english patches and play the backups through emulation. If only there were an easier way to get them shipped in my country.

People used to suggest me Terra Phantastica. No idea what the game is about, and no way to play it since it's JPN only.
It's an SRPG. A promising translation project started recently but will take a while, if it's ever done, as it has a lot of text. Same for Wachenroder, another SRPG.

Mystaria/Blazing Heroes is one that did release in English back then but looks fairly ugly and didn't get much attention though it's supposedly worthwhile. There's a Jp only sequel too.

Man, every video and review i've seen of these two suggest they're really, really good video games. Both have stellar art direction but Wachenroder in particular seems very unique and interesting.

Hope they get some quality translations done down the line.

cireza

Game is excellent but really needs a translation as there is quite a bit of text and many choices. Wachenroder is also very good, with an awesome atmosphere, and a bit more accessible in Japanese. Vandal Hearts was recently translated, everybody should play it.

I am really looking forward the translation of both these games, as well as Hybrid Front on MegaDrive.

Sakura Wars 2 is being translated as well.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Considering how old the Saturn is and how difficult it was to crack, there is a lot of stuff being worked on. Really cool what the community is doing.

The people who did the Bulk Slash translation/dub also did a translation/dub for Stellar Assualt. Not sure if it's available for the public yet. There's recent footage online though, looks cool, like a Starfox style game.

Last edited:

dave_d

Considering how old the Saturn is and how difficult it was to crack, there is a lot of stuff being worked on. Really cool what the community is doing.

The people who did the Bulk Slash translation/dub also did a translation/dub for Stellar Assualt. Not sure if it's available for the public yet. There's recent footage online though, looks cool, like a Starfox style game.

Oh great, another Saturn game I have that I haven't gotten into because I was waiting for an translation.(I wonder if Tengai Makyō: Daiyon no Mokushiroku will get a translation too. I have that.)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh great, another Saturn game I have that I haven't gotten into because I was waiting for an translation.(I wonder if Tengai Makyō: Daiyon no Mokushiroku will get a translation too. I have that.)
I know someone is working on a Baroque translation as well but I think that game is available on a variety of platforms. All the same, the more games the better, Saturn has such a unique look (for better or worse).

fart town usa

Gold Member
There's another fanzine for Saturn. Only 1 issue so far but the PDF version is free, I think I'm gonna order a physical copy at some point.

It's damn cool though and is an actual magazine with great layout, ads and all. I could see this being a quarterly thing.

Sega Saturn Shiro does a fun podcast with two of the guys, just nostalgia based but it's cool to hear stories from people who were right in the thick of it. I had a Saturn but not at launch, older brother and I randomly bought one at Funcoland when they were cheap as hell. Immediately went next door to Toys R Us and bought Die Hard Arcade for like $20.

Valonquar

The Yakyuken Special (NSFW) - Strip Paper Rock Scissors....except the further you get, the more relentlessly ridiculous the computer is at winning, often to the point that it was impossible to win. You had to get 5 wins before they did for each short grainy video of the girl removing a piece of clothing. We used to have it on during anime cons on a spare Saturn, and weebs would be glued to it the entire weekend. Maybe twice in the whole weekend someone would get a girl completely naked and the crowd would go wild. Good times.

Last edited:
Given the choice between Guardian HEROES (my bad, lol) and D&D, I prefer D&D. I have a repro of D&D but when I actually want to play it, I just go the Wii U route cause it's in English.

DHA is a classic through and through. I was one of the few kids at my middle school who had a Saturn and DHA, that's the game that literally helped me find a social circle in middle school. I got lost in the shuffle in 7th grade with all kids from various elementary schools merged into one and a kid in gym class said he heard I had a Saturn and DHA, we hung out and I was adopted into his friend group. Some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of calling friends and still more or less best friends with the kid who approached me about owning a Saturn.

Damn good memories.

The Japanese PS3 port was sourced from the Saturn code by M2.

RAIDEN1

Except the controller.

And it would have been great if it could have taken everything (the shooters, fighters, the 2d stuff, the niche games).
The controller wasn't too bad, I mean there are bad controllers, then there are the ones you get with the Atari Jaguar, that look like they came from 1983, not 1993 for a monster of a "64 bit" machine...

The controller wasn't too bad, I mean there are bad controllers, then there are the ones you get with the Atari Jaguar, that look like they came from 1983, not 1993 for a monster of a "64 bit" machine...
I've heard that the Jag pad is actually pretty comfy contrary to its memetic "oversized telephone pad" status. (I won't disagree that it was less intuitive than modern controller layouts.)

The DC pad was design by committee. The Saturn 3d pad had so much going for it, including the detachable cord, which the DC pad could have used, quite ironically.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Had it as a kid cause it was cheap as can be at Funcoland. Playing through a burned copy now. Certainly not the greatest game but it's pretty damn solid for what it is. I really dig the art style and music from Tommy Tallarico :messenger_grinning_sweat:. It's kind of like a platforming shoot 'em up. It's all about dispatching enemies as quickly as you can and fast reflexes. Really basic but it occasionally throws in a vertical scrolling hoverbike level. It plays well but lacks any type of narrative. Fun fact, Neversoft developed it. Also released on PSX but not sure if there are any differences, always been a Saturn game for me.

50868-skeleton-warriors-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wait, there's now translations for Part 2 and 3? I've had them for years and never got around to playing them since there was no translation at the time. (Probably the early 2000s.) I probably should go find them. (Actually I should check to see if there's a Princess Crown translation.)
Yea dude, full playable translation for SF3 has been around a few years now. My repro copy will be here Friday, stoked to try it out.

Now that the Saturn is cracked, there's a lot of awesome translation work and homebrew going it, it's really cool. Follow Sega Saturn Shiro on YT. The content can be hit and miss but they're good people and tend to get things first from the homebrew community.

Kruza

Does this game have any redeeming features? I have it and I hate it.

Haha, I'll be the first to admit that Sega Touring Car Championship is an acquired taste. STCC really didn't stand out graphically, nor did it boast any groundbreaking features that were already in existing arcade racers at the time of its release. STCC is also one of those games that didn't age well, so going back to play STCC these days won't likely bring back fond memories to those who actually remembers playing this game, heh. Even the background music was an acquired taste as it featured trance music, which is a niche genre that wasn't popular to have in racing games at the time aside from maybe the F-Zero series.

Anyway, I liked Sega Touring Car Championship a lot in the arcades, and I also wanted this game for my Saturn to further learn the nuances of the gameplay and how all the cars handle in the game. The Saturn console version of STCC featured an "Arcade" side and a "Saturn" side. The Saturn 3D controller can be configured in good detail on the Saturn side, while the Arcade side was mainly bare-bones and stuck to exactly how it played in the arcade version without the addition of various customization options.

Last edited:

dave_d

Yea dude, full playable translation for SF3 has been around a few years now. My repro copy will be here Friday, stoked to try it out.

Now that the Saturn is cracked, there's a lot of awesome translation work and homebrew going it, it's really cool. Follow Sega Saturn Shiro on YT. The content can be hit and miss but they're good people and tend to get things first from the homebrew community.
Wow, I didn't realize that people were translating so many of those Japanese Saturn games.(Since I've got a ton of them.) Now if they just make a Saturn adapter so I can hook up my 3d pad:) (I did buy a USB Saturn pad so I can get a good emulator experience except for the 3d pad games.)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wow, I didn't realize that people were translating so many of those Japanese Saturn games.(Since I've got a ton of them.) Now if they just make a Saturn adapter so I can hook up my 3d pad:) (I did buy a USB Saturn pad so I can get a good emulator experience except for the 3d pad games.)
Yea, Wachenroder is also being slowly translated by Knight0fDragon. He's done a ton in the translation/homebrew community. Wachenroder looks really cool, I guess the gameplay is really basic but the story is supposed to be really unique in regard to how dark and dire it is, art style is all steampunk Victorian era too. There's a partially translated version for download but it's only the first hour or so of the game. It's a SRPG if you aren't aware. Lead character looks insanely similar to Cloud, lol.

My repro of SF3 came in yesterday. Ordered it a few days before I bit the bullet on a Satiator but still cool to have a physical copy of all 4 discs in English. Quality stuff and plays flawless so far.

hQvd9Wj.jpg
AP7jSL5.jpg

dave_d

Yea, Wachenroder is also being slowly translated by Knight0fDragon. He's done a ton in the translation/homebrew community. Wachenroder looks really cool, I guess the gameplay is really basic but the story is supposed to be really unique in regard to how dark and dire it is, art style is all steampunk Victorian era too. There's a partially translated version for download but it's only the first hour or so of the game. It's a SRPG if you aren't aware. Lead character looks insanely similar to Cloud, lol.

My repro of SF3 came in yesterday. Ordered it a few days before I bit the bullet on a Satiator but still cool to have a physical copy of all 4 discs in English. Quality stuff and plays flawless so far.

hQvd9Wj.jpg
AP7jSL5.jpg
Wow, that is cool. I should try the patch on my disks and see if I can get it running on my steamdeck or PC.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

hQvd9Wj.jpg
AP7jSL5.jpg
I actually have a CIB of the US release of Shining Force III in pretty good shape. I should probably sell it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I actually have a CIB of the US release of Shining Force III in pretty good shape. I should probably sell it.
You honestly should unless you have some kind of sentimental attachment to it. Great game of course but it's kind of the worst version to play now that the full game has been translated. You do you though, nothing wrong to hang on to something you already own. I got some Saturn games too I could sell and make a couple hundred on each but one has strong sentimental value and the other is Resident Evil. I can't be selling Resident Evil, lol.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah, it's worth a few bucks currently. No guarantees you'll get that much on ebay though.(I have it too. Quite a few of the US Saturn games are worth a good bit of money.)
Dude, the Saturn market is completely insane. It doesn't bother me because I gave up collecting years ago but it blows me away that there are people paying hundreds of dollars for something like Shining Wisdom or Albert Odyssey.

Shining Wisdom has a bit of charm but good lord, that game at it's core is absolute shit. Hands down the worst Shining game from that era. Albert Odyssey is great but the loading makes that game a 6.5 at best. I just feel for the poor soul who doesn't emulate and goes strictly physical for games thinking those two are absolute gems. You could buy a Saturn, 2nd controller, and a ODE for the same price. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At the time baseball games were going transitioning to 3D and Triple Play games were the worst games I played. They were so choppy on PS1 they were unplayable. But the first 3D polygon PS1 baseball games by 989 were solid. I think it was MLB 98.

I always wanted to try World Series 98 (I think that was the polygon one) which got great scores in mags.

fart town usa

Gold Member
At the time baseball games were going transitioning to 3D and Triple Play games were the worst games I played. They were so choppy on PS1 they were unplayable. But the first 3D polygon PS1 baseball games by 989 were solid. I think it was MLB 98.

I always wanted to try World Series 98 (I think that was the polygon one) which got great scores in mags.

It actually looks pretty good.

I'm excited to try out the other NHL games on Saturn. I have NHL All-Star Hockey (1995), my brother found it at our local goodwill a few years back, but that game is truly awful. Teammate AI is completely braindead.

Can any of you share some insight if you owned a Saturn as a kid or how it was viewed/received among your classmates at school?

For me, it was probably 1997 when my brother and I got one and stores were definitely purging inventory at that point, brand new games were clearance priced. The Saturn was just so bizarre. I didn't even know until a few years ago that it released in 1995. That just seems completely crazy to me. No one at my school was talking about it, that would have been 5th grade. I got my Saturn in 7th grade and even then, I was the only person I knew of that had a Saturn. Same with my buddies, the only person they knew with a Saturn was me. It's funny too cause the Saturn wasn't hated on, my classmates were so curious about it, always asking questions. Just seemed like most people simply weren't aware of it and never got to play one.

Such a strange console. I absolutely love hearing stories from people older than me who were there Day 1. That must have been so rough to be a Sega diehard back then and just watch it die so rapidly. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Dreamcast though, it seemed like everyone had one and was hyped as can be for it. I remember being absolutely shocked when Sega announced they were pulling out of the hardware business cause I just assumed the DC was the best selling console based on what everyone was talking about at school. It was sad when Sega made that announcement. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

dave_d

Dude, the Saturn market is completely insane. It doesn't bother me because I gave up collecting years ago but it blows me away that there are people paying hundreds of dollars for something like Shining Wisdom or Albert Odyssey.

Shining Wisdom has a bit of charm but good lord, that game at it's core is absolute shit. Hands down the worst Shining game from that era. Albert Odyssey is great but the loading makes that game a 6.5 at best. I just feel for the poor soul who doesn't emulate and goes strictly physical for games thinking those two are absolute gems. You could buy a Saturn, 2nd controller, and a ODE for the same price. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
You are so right, some of those games go for insane prices like Burning Rangers and Magic Knight Rayearth. Even Sonic Jam and Guardian Heroes goes for hundreds. Of course there's other system with games with ridiculous prices like Wild Guns on the SNES and Ninja five o on the GBA.

Crayon

Amok arrived this week.

So I was just writing a post in another thread and I remembered selling a game I regret. It was virtua racing. If you've never played it, it's a big expanded package and it looks and runs great. It even has different classes of cars so you can explore the gameplay more and it plays great. Anyway, price was again more reasonable than I expected so I picked up a us version on ebay.

Aaaannnd while I was there I got super dimensional fortress macross. Time to go pick up some of those damn watch batteries and hook one of these things up.

hQvd9Wj.jpg
AP7jSL5.jpg
How does this work? Do you need a modded Saturn to play this?

Asking out of curiosity, my Saturn is 5,000 miles from me, and I don't think I've used it since 2008.

Alexios

We do have Saturn/Sega community threads here so you don't need to bump this lame video one. Or you can make your own.
Amok arrived this week.

So I was just writing a post in another thread and I remembered selling a game I regret. It was virtua racing. If you've never played it, it's a big expanded package and it looks and runs great. It even has different classes of cars so you can explore the gameplay more and it plays great. Anyway, price was again more reasonable than I expected so I picked up a us version on ebay.

Aaaannnd while I was there I got super dimensional fortress macross. Time to go pick up some of those damn watch batteries and hook one of these things up.
Amok has a nice engine, short draw distance but SMOOTH rather than block by block/object by object as commonly seen on Saturn. Nice mix of 2D sprites and 3D polygons and voxel terrain. Especially fitting in the underwater sections but nice overall.

I just wish the game was a bit more simy and immersing like Gungriffon and maybe have a first person camera too cos why waste any of the draw distance around/behind the mech/sub instead of all ahead of you? Oh well. Still a nice diversion and there's split screen co-op..!

Virtua Racing on Saturn doesn't run great, it's only good considering the development circumstances, time warner in house production made by eye balling the arcade game rather than having the source code all on pre release rough dev kits. It runs about as bad as Daytona.

I feel Saturn could easily do that game at 30fps if not 60 under different circumstances. The released version as it is runs around 15-25 fps (as low as 12, up to a rare 30).

Last edited:

cireza

Can any of you share some insight if you owned a Saturn as a kid or how it was viewed/received among your classmates at school?
Most kids had a Playstation, but there were a few good friends who preferred buying a Saturn. None of them were disappointed, we were super happy with our console.

I remember playing Die Hard Arcade and Worms with them. And of course we would get games such as Nights, Dragon Force or Shining Force to name a few. One of my dearest friends back then loved Resident Evil and would play it to death. And I was buying every single Capcom fighter lol.

Honestly, we never had the impression of missing on anything. It was a very complete experience with a ton of fantastic games released in PAL. Afterwards we transitioned to the Dreamcast with Power Stone, Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure... Great memories :)

Last edited:

Crayon

Amok has a nice engine, short draw distance but SMOOTH rather than block by block/object by object as commonly seen on Saturn. Nice mix of 2D sprites and 3D polygons and voxel terrain. Especially fitting in the underwater sections but nice overall.

I just wish the game was a bit more simy and immersing like Gungriffon and maybe have a first person camera too cos why waste any of the draw distance around/behind the mech/sub instead of all ahead of you? Oh well. Still a nice diversion and there's split screen co-op..!

Virtua Racing on Saturn doesn't run great, it's only good considering the development circumstances, time warner in house production made by eye balling the arcade game rather than having the source code all on pre release rough dev kits. It runs about as bad as Daytona.

I feel Saturn could easily do that game at 30fps if not 60 under different circumstances. The released version as it is runs around 15-25 fps (as low as 12, up to a rare 30).

We do have Saturn/Sega community threads here so you don't need to bump this lame video one. Or you can make your own.

Oh no is my memory failing me on VR? I remember it running great. That was a long long time ago though so I shouldn't be surprised.

I'll check for those other threads next time, too.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played this game in Japanese, many years ago. It was excellent. The soundtrack is fantastic. Here is one of my favorite tracks :

I really hope the game gets fully translated, would love to play through it.

There's a translation guide on gamefaqs. It's pretty cool, the guy and girl who did it met at college and ended up getting married. Guy is from USA, girl was a Japanese student studying
abroad. When he learned that she wanted to be a translator, he approached her in the library and asked if she would help him translate the game. Such a neat story.

edit: Forgot to mention that Ian McDonald (of King Crimson) contributed a bit to the Wachenroder OST. No clue which tracks but he was known for his wind instrument abilities. Song below is friggin' amazing.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I stumbled on this video just now looking for videos about people talking shit about retro gatekeepers. (Sometimes you just want to see people talk shit about annoying members of a community). This kid is what, 10? lol. He's so dialed into retro gaming, I friggin' love it. Figured I'd post it in this thread versus making a new thread for something so dumb.

Also, ordered a copy of Wachenroder from a US seller. Probably won't get to it for a few months but the manual looks like it has some fantastic artwork. I'll have to utilize the translation guide on gamefaqs. I'll post some gifs and stuff when I get around to playing it.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I need to start a Saturn community thread. Someone in this thread mentioned that there is one but the search didn't bring up anything.

Love the art work. Japanese manuals absolutely shit all all over NA Saturn manuals. NA got the shaft in the biggest way during the Saturn and those plastic long boxes are just straight up ugly as shit. Sorry, I've really grown to dislike everything about them.

There's an artbook too, separate from the manual. I'm assuming that villain in the bottom photo is the final boss, such a cool design.

Got the disc in the Saturn now, just listening to the music. Love how Saturn games also function as a OST CD. Can't remember if PSX also had that feature. Also printed the Gar3 translation manual. I'm on chapter 4 in SF3 but I may have to dip into Wachenroder this weekend, incredibly curious about it.

YJrxeJf.jpg
TNmjEIa.jpg

Alexios

I need to start a Saturn community thread. Someone in this thread mentioned that there is one but the search didn't bring up anything.
neogaf.com/threads/neogaf-official-sega-saturn-community.1507666/

Don't see why they get buried outside gaming tbh (or why it's flagged NSFW?) as it's quite counter intuitive and leads to shit OP like this getting bumped instead. It's fine to make a new one with some spin I imagine (like the other Saturn threads, ie, most impressive 3D saturn games thread etc).

Last edited:
Top Bottom