• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Snitch: PlayStation has acquired a publisher with 'S' in the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoVsn

If Dragon Quest won't be staying multiplatform (Horii himself heavily hinted at wanting DQ to be multiplatform after DQ11), I bet Nintendo's gonna do a Sony and try to block the deal.
That's a hard argument to land in post Activision acquisition world.

ToadMan

I agree that I don’t think it’s about an acquisition (who knows), but I wouldn’t be surprised to see SOCOM announced soon.

I trust Colin a lot who has said he heard they were potentially making it again. Fits the S, even though the “x” wouldn’t make me think it would just be a game announcement but more of a crossover.

Who knows.

SOCOM would be noce to see to get another round.

I’d be happy with a remake of one or more of the old ones so they don’t have to invent a new formula.

ToadMan

Snafu remake by BluePoint.

It’s all about timing.

Sony just signed a deal with MS…

It’s obvious isn’t it?

Scalebound has been resurrected and its a PS timed exclusive - the exclusivity is only X hours though.

Last edited:

Kurimao

Fair enough.

They’re all a bit niche though. It’s not that they’re not good games. Just don’t see why Sony needs them.
fCFoQ7F.png

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If anyone was for sale right now it would be square-enix. 🤷‍♂️

All the other dreamed up companies like capcom- no way. They are doing too good to sell.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well of course both companies would want each other out of business. The difference for me is, Sony at least have done what they've done for PlayStation, for the most part, leveraging the strengths of the actual division. The 3P exclusivity deals, hardware R&D investments, marketing efforts etc. have been done with a mix of PlayStation's own valuation within the company, which I would say is accurately reflective of its revenue and therein its profits as a division/subsidiary of Sony.

Microsoft have made the Zenimax & ABK purchases based off no merits of Xbox itself as a division; rather, they're turning to their much more lucrative divisions, leveraging their revenue, profits, and market valuations, to pump all of this excessive money into Xbox itself. What's more, they don't even actually "need" gaming revenue in the way Sony or Nintendo do. There's nothing saying what Microsoft is doing in that regard is illegal (otherwise they'd be prevented from doing it in any market), but I can choose to respect Sony's method for gaming growth and turn my eye to Microsoft's, because one's based on merit of their performance in the gaming market, and the other simply is not.

I think it's way too easy to dismiss what MS has done hardware and software wise over the long term. Sure you can respect Sony's path a bit more, but in the end they are just behemoths who don't really care about anything other than keeping us giving them money.
None of it is driven by "true" caring for gamers.

Astray

I think it's way too easy to dismiss what MS has done hardware and software wise over the long term.
Developing the online infrastructure + making console arch closer and closer to x86 are huge steps to the gaming landscape we have today.

I think Xbox's biggest failing has (and kinda still is) original IP creation. I think that and their overall.. re-activeness in the market has been their greatest weakness. Let's see if they can change that.

Fabieter

If Dragon Quest won't be staying multiplatform (Horii himself heavily hinted at wanting DQ to be multiplatform after DQ11), I bet Nintendo's gonna do a Sony and try to block the deal.

Maybe they could strike a deal to exchange dragon quest for xenoblade. Would love to play xenoblade on higher ress and textures without the need of an emulator.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Let's see if they can change that.
Spending $80 Billion buying the biggest multiplatform publishers and competitors having to get deals to make sure they do not yank all the games away right away does not spell confidence in new IP creation being the most important thing for the same management that delivered the situation you would like to change…

Astray

That's a hard argument to land in post Activision acquisition world.
Yep, if you can't make the argument that fucking with COD, as lucrative as it is, could be anti-competitive, it will be basically impossible to do so with like, Final Fantasy or DQ.

Maybe Final Fantasy 14 but Sony aren't as cash-rich as Microsoft is, they will probably try and grow the MMO part and being on Switch 2 or Xbox is crucial for that. Having a Series S or a Switch 2 as a baseline isn't bad either because MMOs need to have a low baseline for cheap PCs anyways.

The bigger problem to me is Sony increasingly catering to the west while Square still has Japan on its mind, which might bring some friction between parties there.

Spending $80 Billion buying the biggest multiplatform publishers and competitors having to get deals to make sure they do not yank all the games away right away does not spell confidence in new IP creation being the most important thing for the same management that delivered the situation you would like to change…
To be clear: I have no illusions that they somehow figured it out. But I am also open to being proven wrong.

If you ask me what I think personally, I think this takes us far closer to Microsoft going the gargantuan 3P/Steam competitor route than it takes us to Xbox as a console and ecosystem going back on top. But we'll see.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
How much is SE market cap? If it's anything above $5 billion... acquisition is not going to happen. Sony spent a lot of money buying Bungie and I don't think they have a big enough warchest yet to go after SE.

Indie studio makes more sense tbh.

NahaNago

I'm completely mixed on if this would even be a good thing or not. My inner fanboy says yes but I'd honestly prefer the buying Capcom. With that said, buying Squareenix would give Sony a lot more smaller games every year.

Pelta88

According to Square's premarket stock price there is zero truth to this.

If by some st range turn of events this happens to be true the "The Snitch" has access to the higher echelons and ceos in Sony/gaming. But insider trading would have sent Square's stock price "To The Moon" if this had some credence. But right now the share price is flat.

We gotta stop letting these "insider" dweebs attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom