• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of PlayStation: Leaks and Rumors Regarding Games from PlayStation Studios, PSS Visual Arts, and Bungie

nial

Gold Member
No Japanese ip or studio

FUCK
Polyphony Digital: The Gran Turismo developer just released its latest installment in the long-running series with Gran Turismo 7. Its not stopping there though, as studio head Kazunori Yamauchi said in a recent interview that they have already started the development of Gran Turismo 8. Exciting times for GT fans, for sure.

Gran Turismo 8: https://racinggames.gg/gran-turismo/gran-turismo-8-is-already-in-development-says-kazunori-yamauchi/
Team Asobi: Spun-off into its own studio after the closing of Japan Studio, Team Asobi stands as the only PS Studio dedicated towards platformers. Their mascot Astro Bot has seemingly become PlayStation's mascot the past few years. He will most definitely be the star of their next game which is said to be a 3D Action Game that is also the studio's biggest to date. Some suggest it could be a PSVR2 game or a hybrid that can be played standalone or with the VR headset attached.

3D Action Game: https://www.thegamer.com/team-asobi-next-game/
XDEV: So, XDEV is a bit different compared to the rest of the pack as it acts as a co-development arm for PlayStation Studios in the same vein as Xbox Game Studios Publishing does for Xbox. XDEV has grown over the past few years to cover more regions than just Europe, and is helping develop more games than ever they have before. Any game you see being published by SIE that isn't being developed by a first-party studio, XDEV probably had a hand in developing. Here are the list of games they are helping to make:

Death Stranding 2: https://www.gamesradar.com/death-stranding-2-guide/

Rise of the Ronin: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...f-the-ronin-a-new-action-rpg-from-team-ninja/

My hope is Factions gets released later this year alongside Spider-Man 2

2024 could be crazy for single-Player games for Sony. Death Stranding, The Rise of Ronin, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth are all scheduled for 2024. Ghost of Tsushima 2 is also rumored, as well as Wolverine

Last edited:
I wish sony would announce a few weeks in advance instead of a few days. Would be nice to know when exactly they will have a show.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lack of multiplayer games this generation is sad, games like socom, gears etc. meant a lot to people. I know we’re a couple of months removed from god of war ragnarok games today are dominated by talented stories and I’m pumped for the future of Sony.

No idea how Media Molecule is still alive after the whole Dreams blunder. Honestly, it took them forever to come out with it, didn't deliver on the promises and was way too niche.

Yet, Sony still decides to continue and invest in them? I believe it's a waste of money, would have been far better off giving the money to a different studio and just shutting them down.

Don't really care for Ghost of Tsushima 2. The first game was ok, but I don't believe it was anything special honestly or mind blowing.

Interested too see Sony Santa Monica next project. But let's be honest, everyone wants too see a true new next gen God of War. Probably won't happen till PS6

Aa for Naughty Dog...All they ever done for the last decade or so since 2013 was 4 TLOU titles... with 1 Uncharted game.

2013 - TLOU for PS3
2014 - TLOU Remaster for PS4
2016 - Uncharted 4
2020 - TLOU 2
2022 - TLOU Part 1

Now we're getting a 5th game which is dedicated multiplayer. I hope the new IP is next after that, because if it's another TLOU game I'll be flipping tables.

Guerilla Games is pulling a Naughty Dog and releasing nothing but a ton of Horizon games. Only interested in the multiplayer one to be honest and Horizon 3 for the visuals because the usual writing and story will be doo doo.

Honestly, only real interesting compelling games seem to be Wolverine and Death Stranding 2. I hope the new IPs are interesting. And I do want too see what Bluepoint is making thanks to their Stellar track record. Otherwise, this list is kind of disappointing to me.

Labadal

I don't know. Keep studios with profitable games, maybe? They were working on a game, but that's dead or handed off to another studio.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/05/concrete-genie-studio-pixelopus-to-shut-down-on-june-2

"Sony Interactive Entertainment will close Concrete Genie studio PixelOpus on June 2, the company announced.

PlayStation Studios regularly evaluates its portfolio and the status of studio projects to ensure they meet the organization’s short and long-term strategic objectives,” the company said in a statement issued to IGN. “As part of a recent review process, it has been decided that PixelOpus will close on June 2.”

The closure was first announced via a tweet from PixelOpus in which it stated its “adventure has come to an end.”

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
My hope is Factions gets released later this year alongside Spider-Man 2

2024 could be crazy for single-Player games for Sony. Death Stranding, The Rise of Ronin, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth are all scheduled for 2024. Ghost of Tsushima 2 is also rumored, as well as Wolverine
No way in heck is Wolverine next year. It probably only recently just started full development, its been Spider Man2 all hands on deck at Insomniac. Wolverine = 2025/26

Barakov

Gold Member
40 minutes of Goodbye Volcano High :lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire:
Angry Owl GIF by Honda

[Sigma]

This is the first time i've heard of the Valkyrie Entertainment bit(that I can remember) as I definitely put them in the "just a support studio" category. That's good to hear if true.

No way in heck is Wolverine next year. It probably only recently just started full development, its been Spider Man2 all hands on deck at Insomniac. Wolverine = 2025/26
I think it was Grubb or some notable leaker saying late 2024. Insomniac is Sony's largest studio with multiple teams. It's definitely been in development since Miles Morales

Pelta88

No idea how Media Molecule is still alive after the whole Dreams blunder. Honestly, it took them forever to come out with it, didn't deliver on the promises and was way too niche.

Yet, Sony still decides to continue and invest in them?
I believe it's a waste of money, would have been far better off giving the money to a different studio and just shutting them down.

Your viewpoint doesn't compare with how Sony views a games success. Dreams hit a 90 on meta. And a niche as it was it still had a strong community of creators. It helped build momentum and mindshare which is why Dreams was given so much support. It came from a tiny studio and reached a ton of players and the campaign itself was a lot of fun.

Sales of a niche title don't necessarily need to be mainstream to be a success.

Your viewpoint doesn't compare with how Sony views a games success. Dreams hit a 90 on meta. And a niche as it was it still had a strong community of creators. It helped build momentum and mindshare which is why Dreams was given so much support.It came from a tiny studio and reached a ton of players and the campaign itself was a lot of fun.

Sales of a niche title don't necessarily need to be mainstream to be a success.
Yeah, Dreams got so much support that they've officially announced the ending of the support for the game by September 2023.

Fantastic support. They even released a PS5 and PC version....because Sony truly believed in the product that got a 90 metacritic and its community. Look at just how supportive Sony is. It's amazing.

https://www.polygon.com/23678503/dreams-end-of-live-service-server-changes

It doesn't matter if it got 90 metacritic or not. The game was too niche and sold poorly and at the end of the day sales what matter. No sales = no support. That's not how any of this works lol.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

So why did they buy Housemarque then?
Because they produced well-received AA(A)-ish title within reasonable timeline?
PixelOpus was tiny, like 12-20 people. If something went seriously wrong with production, there wasn't much to salvage.

nial

Gold Member
PixelOpus was tiny, like 12-20 people. If something went seriously wrong with production, there wasn't much to salvage.
I think you need to see the post I was replying to.

Eotheod

Only issue is Returnal sold 560,000 as of 2021, that's the last known sales data that I can find at least. May have hit a million or just under, but assuming costs weren't high that's pretty okay. However, that's the point of these maller studios, to pad out the big AAA releases that are apparently "too big to fail" despite that still being a chance.

It's why I don't get why they closed down PixelOpus, they need games to pad the big releases. Obviously that's not a big deal at the moment with Sony right now, but I have a feeling a lot of those speculated titles (if they even come about) will be for 2024 onwards. That's a lot of AAA games, and with average development times of between 4-6 years plus COVID fuck around, we are looking at easily 2024.

Jaybe

Hoping Sony have something new to announce at a showcase son that will release in 2023 and turns out great.

kyussman

It will be two years in June since I last picked up a controller and I think my fingers are starting to get itchy again....problem is if you gave me an XSX or PS5 today I would struggle to find anything I would want to load up and play.I hope we get some true next gen exciting stuff in the upcoming showings from Microsoft and Sony......the only announced game that I know I have to play right now is Death Stranding 2.I'm actually starting to think the first one might have ruined gaming for me because I haven't felt the same since,lol.

It will be two years in June since I last picked up a controller and I think my fingers are starting to get itchy again....problem is if you gave me an XSX or PS5 today I would struggle to find anything I would want to load up and play.I hope we get some true next gen exciting stuff in the upcoming showings from Microsoft and Sony......the only announced game that I know I have to play right now is Death Stranding 2.I'm actually starting to think the first one might have ruined gaming for me because I haven't felt the same since,lol.
Death Stranding? Really?
closing-the-door-close.gif

There's a few to many Multiplayer games in that list for my liking.
Naughty Dog won't miss, Sucker Punch should do another good GOT and Insomniac as always.
I don't like Horizon, and I don't think a third will make me change my mind.
I really want to see a Killzone 2 and 3 remake. In a time where Sony really needs to have a good FPS in their stable, and they are remaking games that are only a few years old, and they won't go near their two best shooters? Bizarre.

Hopefully at their showcase they reveal some of the new IPs that they have been working on.

While I'd like a showcase, I really think Jim Ryan doesn't care about anything other than announcing what's in the near future these days, sadly. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Varteras

Gold Member
40 minutes of Goodbye Volcano High :lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire:

If this happens I will find you and punch you in the dick.

No idea how Media Molecule is still alive after the whole Dreams blunder.

Likely because their work is highly regarded. LittleBigPlanet was a hit and Sackboy was the PlayStation mascot for a good while. Their projects get great critical reception, even if they commercially haven't landed the last couple times. It was pointed out, by Sacred Symbols, that they also have a BAFTA fellowship through their studio director. That's not a small deal. That's in addition to multiple other awards between her and the studio.

Some of the people who were directly in charge of Dreams are now gone. So one could say, at the very least, the blood price for that commercial blunder was paid. The way Stig Asmussen and much of his team at Santa Monica were purged after Darkside failed to reach milestones after a fair few years in development. That was on top of God of War Ascension being a disappointment. Which saw its director, Todd Papy, depart later that year.

Now, I do suspect that Media Molecule is in a bit of a hot seat. If their new project runs into the same review issues that Pixelopus did, or the next project bombs at release, then they might be looking at the axe. I just think that, right now, their legacy affords them a bit more rope.

Varteras

Gold Member
If you know then why did you say they were Japanese?

A lot of people think of Japanese, Korean, and Chinese games as being largely the same. They're Asian-style games. Much the same way little difference is parsed between games made by North American or European studios. They're usually just declared as Western games. Most people would be hard pressed to tell you the difference in nation of origin between Stellar Blade and Nier Automata. They share quite a bit. So often times when someone wants to play a "Japanese game", it's common to recommend them a Korean or Chinese game. Buddy of mine is huge into Japanese games. Even the more obscure shit. He had no idea that Genshin Impact was made by a Chinese company. To him it was another Japanese game.

XDev’s work has been significantly expanded this gen. We have a somewhat decent understanding of what SIEE are working on, but people need to remember that when teams like FireSprite join PlayStation Studios then it frees up XDev producers. I think we’ll see a few surprises from XDev in particular.

mdkirby

Quite a lot there to be excited about, but there’s a depressingly high % of multiplayer listings there, particularly from 1st party.

Top Bottom