• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE Buying Bungie Was A Mistake

Ogbert

I can't believe I'm saying this but...

Destiny 2 under Activision was pretty good, the best it ever was. It all got to shit as soon as Bungie separated from them.
It was miles better under Activision.

The game is on life support at the moment. What are Bungie doing? Everything is recycled garbage from years ago.

Gudji

Give me a proper destiny MMO you fucks.

I know marathon will be fun to play the question is if this time they'll get the business model right. Hoping for the best.

TVexperto

In light of Sony's recent decision to terminate 900 employees from their SIE arm, coupled with statements made by several Sony executives regarding the imperative of streamlining operations for enhanced profitability, it is evident that the company's emphasis on Games as a Service (GaaS) has had discernible implications for PlayStation studios, notably in terms of their output or perceived deficiency thereof.

The cancellation of "Last of Us Last Stand" after years in development serves as a poignant illustration of the direction PlayStation studios appear to be heading, which could be construed as a precarious trajectory.

While "Hell Divers 2" has proven successful and is a commendable game deserving of its achievements, the acquisition of Bungie may not have directly influenced the outcome of "Hell Divers 2."

Sony's move to acquire Bungie can be interpreted as a reactionary measure driven by concerns of potential acquisition by another entity, particularly in light of Microsoft's acquisitions, thus avoiding a perceived monopoly. Although Bungie has a track record of producing exceptional games, the substantial investment in their acquisition could have been alternatively allocated to foster organic growth within Sony's existing studios, facilitating the development of innovative and experimental titles.

this is my opinion.
Bro you wrote this via ChatGPT

It was a mistake from the standpoint, that Bungie did not appear to have a plan moving forward and Sony didn’t have a plan with them. Likely reactionary Purchase.

If Bungie was sold to MS, does anyone think they would not have been put in charge of Halo at this point?

Now, if you wanted a gutsy and correct answer imo.

The actual buyer of Bungie should have been one of two companies. Apple or Epic. 1.) Bungie would have allowed Apple to have a game (marathon) that could scale across all Apple devices and have a flagship title. Apple has the resources to fund Bungie development to let the staff grow large to ensure it was a good product. Apple desperately needs its own first party IP on the Apple Arcade. 2.) With Epic, it would have allowed the Epic game store to have another major title outside Fortnite that helps push Epic store into the mainstream even more. Similar to Valve back in the day.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I agree, for 2 reasons. Sony should never have pigeon holed Bungie into GaaS shit only. Second, MS should have made sure Bungie stayed and was in charge of Halo.

Unknown?

Activision had several multi million dollar franchises it was way more stupid to buy Bethesda.
Activision basically became a COD factory. It's a cash cow but if that ever declines the company is basically worthless. Not to mention most of what they make is garbage like EA, just soulless.

But Bethesda was worse because it looks like their ability to create open worlds has been surpassed.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
this is the fault of.............................

T7ixL70vtlhpz7jkrU0w4cNGn-QflfkItbdxgpzZ_Wg.jpg
Herman looks like the kind of guy who fucks with his long socks on and the lights off.

Katatonic

Wasn't Destiny supposed to be a 10 yr plan with some even doubting it would last that long?

Of course it's been ramping down, especially after being acquired by a new company who wants them working on new stuff.

iHaunter

If that ever happens, I will no longer be buying PlayStation products. PS6 for example. I rarely do GaaS unless it's an MMO.

I dont consider buying one of the best FPS devs out there is a mistake

Destiny and Halo before it, has some of the best FPS games. even Story telling, Music, maps . they all are more than great and they excel is that field.

Agreed. They have great gameplay mechanics

The price for Bungie was steep, but still has high potential. They shouldn’t throw away the investment due to a current dip

Bungie has the potential for some really big hits in the future, should just be patient and see what they come up with and hope they learn from prior mistakes

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wasn't Destiny supposed to be a 10 yr plan with some even doubting it would last that long?

Of course it's been ramping down, especially after being acquired by a new company who wants them working on new stuff.
This should be 97% of the responses in this thread with the occasional 3% insane takes.

Instead it's the other way around.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It definitely was overpaid in light of what MS paid for Bethesda and the number of huge IPs it got. Nevertheless, Bethesda has published a few games since then.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
SONY had to many employees and needs to lay off redundant people because they over hired during the COVID boom.

This is my opinion.
They also had crap projects and meh teams. That Twisted Metal and London stuff sounded like bad news bears.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It definitely was overpaid in light of what MS paid for Bethesda and the number of huge IPs it got. Nevertheless, Bethesda has published a few games since then.

I'm confident Bungie will generate 5x more revenue than Bethesda over the next 10 years. Bethesda feels like an extreme overpay when all their games have been struggling recently. Sony buying Bungie at half the price looks like a steal.

yurinka

The insane success of their Halo games, Destiny 1, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2 (plus the Youtube views generated by the Marathon teaser) shows that the OP is totally wrong.

Over time, as happened with Insomniac we'll see the Bungie acquisition as a great deal purchased with a very cheap price.

Last edited:

yurinka

the company's emphasis on Games as a Service (GaaS) has had discernible implications for PlayStation studios, notably in terms of their output or perceived deficiency thereof.
MLB, Gran Turismo 7, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2 are great successes that are generating a great amont of money to Sony.

Only gaming flatearthers or uninformed people see an output deficiency in Sony. AAA games take longer to be made every generation, that's all. But Son releases a lot of stuff every year. As an example, Sony has almost a dozen first party releases annonced for this year. Plus in addition to this, signed several great 2024 3rd party exclusives both AAA and indie.

The cancellation of "Last of Us Last Stand" after years in development serves as a poignant illustration of the direction PlayStation studios
Game cancellations are very common in all game companies, specially those who care about quality. It's a part of their creative process and a good thing to cancel games before it's to late. Games aren't like to produce something in a factory, they are a creative thing for a quickly changing market so changes and cancellations are very frequent.

While "Hell Divers 2" has proven successful and is a commendable game deserving of its achievements, the acquisition of Bungie may not have directly influenced the outcome of "Hell Divers 2."
Not true, the main reason Bungie was acquired (in addition to get the money they generate) was to support all the GaaS being published by SIE, being Helldivers 2 one of them.

It was miles better under Activision.

The game is on life support at the moment. What are Bungie doing? Everything is recycled garbage from years ago.
Destiny 2 is a 7 years old game, so it's on sunseting stage.

Bungie is more focused on making multiple upcoming games, with Marathon being the next one.

Yes, it was originally planned as a 10 year plan with 3 games and a few dlcs/expansions, but merged the content they had planned for Destiny 3 into Destiny 2.

The Final Shape, the expansion released this year will complete that 10 years roadmap. Due to the record breaking success, becoming the best selling ever new IP with Destiny 1 and performing even better with Destiny 2, Bungie will continue with Destiny that 10 years roadmap.

Destiny 2 will get some extra support, they are working on movie/tv adaptations, and it's fair to assume that they'll make a Destiny 3 and maybe some spinoff too.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s been over 3 years. MS should have had a lot of smaller projects in the pipeline. Many little things could have come out right now. Quake and Quake 2 remasters from Nightdive are the best things to come from that acquisition.

That would probably be Hi-Fi Rush, and fits the bill for 'smaller projects'

I'm confident Bungie will generate 5x more revenue than Bethesda over the next 10 years.

That's extremely unlikely

Bethesda feels like an extreme overpay when all their games have been struggling recently. Sony buying Bungie at half the price looks like a steal.

Valuation is based on many factors, but includes the IP attached to the sale. Fallout, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, Quake, Evil Within...among several others.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's extremely unlikely

Valuation is based on many factors, but includes the IP attached to the sale. Fallout, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, Quake, Evil Within...among several others.

That's the overpay.

Microsoft valued Bethesdas IP based on the 2015 market. Bungie is making games for todays market.

One aircraft carrier > one thousand patrol boats.

Last edited:

Wulfer

I'm confident Bungie will generate 5x more revenue than Bethesda over the next 10 years. Bethesda feels like an extreme overpay when all their games have been struggling recently. Sony buying Bungie at half the price looks like a steal.
Joke post right? I mean think about what you just said. Bungie is better than having full control of Elder Scrolls/Online, Doom and Fallout/Online/New Tv show revenue just for starters.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Joke post right? I mean think about what you just said. Bungie is better than having full control of Elder Scrolls/Online, Doom and Fallout/Online/New Tv show revenue just for starters.

No.

Bungie is built for the GAAS era.

The last 7 Bethesda games have all underperformed financially and almost all of them have underperformed critically.

Y'all really aren't ready for Marathon.

Sushi_Combo

Bungie should have stuck with D1.

D2 was a mistake. I said it
Yeah D2 was honestly a mess from the get go.
Disrespecting their legacy users by rendering all their accomplishments from D1 moot left a pretty bad impression of the company for me.

D1 just generally being a better game though.

• Fire
Reactions: Pop

Tell that to Bungie. They are the ones who seem to have been caught off-guard by how quickly the monthly revenues have plummeted for Destiny 2 in the past few years. Also, let's not pretend that the initial success of the Destiny franchise didn't have a large part to do with everyone knowing that they had created the Halo franchise and Destiny was going to be the first time platforms outside of Xbox/PC would be able to play a sci-fi FPS from them. Now we have people begging Sony to make their next project platform exclusive as if that will help with sales and player numbers.

Top Bottom