• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trendiest Halloween candy in each U.S. state

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

MW-CX780_halcan_20141029151402_NS.png

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-united-states-of-candy-2014-10-29

Ugh, raisins. Another bad aspect of VT!

Such are the results of a research project undertaken by SumoCoupon, a savings site, to determine the “most trending” Halloween candy in each state. By analyzing data from Google, the SumoCoupon team was able to see what Americans are discussing when it comes to sweets – all the way from West Virginia (candy corn) to Wisconsin (Reese’s Pieces) and Connecticut (Life Savers) to Colorado (Mamba fruit chews).

Certainly, chocolate treats remain high on the list: Kit Kats, for example, are the trending favorite in four states (Nevada, Illinois, Mississippi and Wyoming). But other states seem to follow their own idiosyncratic, sugar-coated path. In California, wax lips, a retro favorite, are suddenly hot. And in New Jersey, Bubble Tape (think gum in the shape of, well, tape) is proving popular.

Of course, analytics may say one thing, but not everyone will necessarily agree with the findings. Paul Bongiorno, a longtime resident of Maplewood, N.J., says he doesn’t hear a lot of discussions about Bubble Tape on his block come Halloween time. “Usually, there’s just a lot of chocolate,” he says.

Then again, in some states, according to SumoCoupon, candy is taking a backseat to other items altogether. Residents of New Mexico indeed have a thing for pencils. Vermont residents like their raisins. And Ohioans go for apples.

The latter example doesn’t surprise SumoCoupon spokesperson Cristina Lachowyn, an Ohio native. What’s trendy today was also trendy in her childhood, she notes. Still, there’s nothing to say those apples can’t be covered in something sweet. “Caramel apples were a big part of Halloween when I was growing up,” Lachowyn says.

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-united-states-of-candy-2014-10-29

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Blow Pops? You cheap mofo New Yorkers.

Also, bottle caps? Who is from that state that can explain that one.

Krejlooc

Banned
I refuse to believe this is accurate because of the lack of Sour Patch Kids on that list.

Seriously, those things have been steadily getting more and more popular every year since like 1990.

Methodology:

In order to determine which candy stood out in search volumes for each state, we analyzed Google Search Volumes. To determine the specific winner in each state, we used Google Trends, which gives scores out of 100 for the popularity of a single search term. Some states had more than one candy with a score of 100, and since we could only choose one candy per state, we chose the candy that was more unique (for example, if apples and peanut butter cups were tied for 100, but peanut butter cups were already present in other states, we went with apples for that state).

So in other words, this thing means nothing.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Reeses and kit-kat states are doing the lor'ds work.

Jeff-DSA

Apples, pencils, Good and Plenty, and raisins should all be criminal offenses to hand out. I mean, COME ON, people.

riotous

Banned
This is probably one of those "the most unique result in each State" analytics.

There are more people talking about Wax Lips in CA than anywhere else... but I doubt Wax Lips are even in the top 10 candys being talked about in CA.. it's just that the rest are the really common ones.

It's just like all of the recent charts that have annoyed people.. they aren't actually "the most popular thing" just "the most uniquely popular."

Pencils? Who the fuck gives out a pencil at halloween. It's not even like it's the start of september and you have to remind kids they're going back to school.

If you are a grown adult and you give a kid a pencil on halloween, you have to have had led some kind of pathetic existence. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom