• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trendiest Halloween candy in each U.S. state

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
no twix x skittles x starburst for any state 0_O

wax lips wat, candy corn ouch

It's most likely not actually a "most popular" list.. otherwise it wouldn't have unique examples in each State.

My explanation from earlier:

This is probably one of those "the most unique result in each State" analytics.

There are more people talking about Wax Lips in CA than anywhere else... but I doubt Wax Lips are even in the top 10 candys being talked about in CA.. it's just that the rest are the really common ones.

It's just like all of the recent charts that have annoyed people.. they aren't actually "the most popular thing" just "the most uniquely popular."

It's pretty obvious looking at the data.. it's the only way you get a near unique example for almost every State is to weigh things really oddly.

Anustart

Last night my girlfriend mentioned she wanted to make chili today. That brought up the delightful image of us slopping a ladle full of chili into kids bags.

Reeses Pieces?!

Wisconsin FTW

Would have preferred Skittles, Kit Kats, or Reeses Peanut Butter Cups - but Pieces are a solid pick

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
By analyzing data from Google, the SumoCoupon team was able to see what Americans are discussing when it comes to sweets

It sounds like people were "discussing" this candy. I.e. "some fucker gave me wax lips one year so I threw feces at his house," and "yeah my kids got wax lips one year and they killed themselves." Well that's two instances of wax lips right there, the most trending candy in California.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Air heads, Skittles, Heath, & Butterfingers were always my favorites.

.....but bubble tape is trendiest in Michigan? All the years I went Trick-or-treating either as a kid or taking my little sister, we NEVER got any form of bubble tape, let alone bubble gum.

Jeff-DSA

It sounds like people were "discussing" this candy. I.e. "some fucker gave me wax lips one year so I threw feces at his house," and "yeah my kids got wax lips one year and they killed themselves." Well that's two instances of wax lips right there, the most trending candy in California.

Then it would still mean that they were relevant in the state at least recently. You gotta clean this up, California.

Faiz

I love Raisins but they don't even belong on the same list unless covered in chocolate. That's bullshit

Edit: ok I see there are a number of bullshit options. Holy hell PENCILS?!?

Grizzo

Are "raisins" supposed to be those things?

7610200254245.JPG

I never knew this was considered as a candy! I always thought they were only ingredients you add to some desserts like ground rice or rice pudding... I never eat raisins outside of those types of meals.

Borgnine

Those Hawaiian Gummi Bears are probably covered in Li Hing powder. That shit's good.

ppor

It's most likely not actually a "most popular" list.. otherwise it wouldn't have unique examples in each State.

My explanation from earlier:

It's pretty obvious looking at the data.. it's the only way you get a near unique example for almost every State is to weigh things really oddly.

Yea, more like what's the 51st trending candy in each state.

Well, these are some rock solid data collection methods here

In order to determine which candy stood out in search volumes for each state, we analyzed Google Search Volumes. To determine the specific winner in each state, we used Google Trends, which gives scores out of 100 for the popularity of a single search term. Some states had more than one candy with a score of 100, and since we could only choose one candy per state, we chose the candy that was more unique (for example, if apples and peanut butter cups were tied for 100, but peanut butter cups were already present in other states, we went with apples for that state). - See more at: http://www.sumocoupon.com/trending-halloween-candy-each-state/#sthash.7drXMlkW.dpuf

izakq

Pencils for New Mexico? Bullshit. In my son's 7 years of trick-or-treating and getting buttloads of candy, not a single pencil.

riotous

Banned
Yea, more like what's the 51st trending candy in each state.

Yup, here's the methodology:

In order to determine which candy stood out in search volumes for each state, we analyzed Google Search Volumes. To determine the specific winner in each state, we used Google Trends, which gives scores out of 100 for the popularity of a single search term. Some states had more than one candy with a score of 100, and since we could only choose one candy per state, we chose the candy that was more unique (for example, if apples and peanut butter cups were tied for 100, but peanut butter cups were already present in other states, we went with apples for that state). - See more at: http://www.sumocoupon.com/trending-halloween-candy-each-state/#sthash.ChroRSQw.dpuf

I think they are being disingenuous..

I imagine ALL states had several candies with a score of 100.. then they go through those and pick the "most unique one" that only that state has a score of 100 for.

The actual difference in popularity between a bunch of candies with score of 100 is probably really high.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they pick candies with scores well below 100 because all of the one's above are super common in all states.

IMO this entire methodology exists to create "CLICK BAIT" studies that make people annoyed. The data is not really that interesting... More people like Hanson in Wisconsin than anywhere else?? MMMMMbop that's gonna get some clicks if we make it seem like Hanson is the most popular band in Wisconsin!

Borgnine

IMO this entire methodology exists to create "CLICK BAIT" studies that make people annoyed. The data is not really that interesting... More people like Hanson in Wisconsin than anywhere else?? MMMMMbop that's gonna get some clicks if we make it seem like Hanson is the most popular band in Wisconsin!

Settle down bro. Here, have a pencil.

Really Mississippi, we handing out greasy buttery nasty ass disgusting butterfingers to the kiddies? yuck

*Gotta make sure we stay the most obese state, I guess.

bjork

Bottle Caps are the best. THE BEST.

It was a sad day when you could only get them here in variety packs with a bunch of other dogshit candy. Used to be able to get entire bags of them by themselves.

Armaros

Bottle Caps are the best. THE BEST.

It was a sad day when you could only get them here in variety packs with a bunch of other dogshit candy. Used to be able to get entire bags of them by themselves.

Really, just Amazon it.

You can get a 12 pack set of the movie sized candy boxes for around 15 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom