• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's doable, provided you can actually get Swedes to speak Swedish with you. In my experience, we tend to get so excited about getting a chance to speak English with a native speaker that the people I know who were serious about learning Swedish had to specifically ask us not to.

Supposedly, Swedish is a difficult language in general, but both it and English are Germanic which definitely helps. Anyone who takes time off to actually study the language seriously should be able to reach a conversational level inside of six months - provided you don't fall for the temptation to only speak English, which is easy to do because it's more than enough to get you through the day.

Thanks to everyone commenting about Sweden, depending on how things go I'm definitely considering looking into starting postgrad study in Sweden (amongst other EU countries) next year and go from there. It might become a big mess, but I'd love to try.

Pandy

Let's vote until we get the result that we want.

That's not how democracy works.
If the Scottish Government gets any traction with the EU, then I can see a real case for Scotland, London, and Northern Ireland voting again on whether their future lies outside the 'UK', but for the UK as a whole I agree. A deal's a deal, this petition will change nothing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
they wont do a deal that allows free movement, simply wont happen, even the Government know if they did that they might as well have another referendum as the majority of leave voters were due to the free movement

If they don't then we are going to get a shit deal and will do immense damage to our economy. Brexit MPs have already come out and backtracked on the idea of massively reduced immigration, our economy needs that immigration to function and we need it secure decent trade deals with the EU.

Having to make that pitch is going to be the biggest challenge for Boris, he knows that the immigration issue was completely distorted during the campaign. The Little Englanders that got us in this mess are in for a rude awakening if they think any government would want to limit immigration.

Does he?
I didn't know that was it just Farage who wanted closed birders then ?

Also what good does it do to have a deal where things are mostly the same except with reduced funding and no say in the EU parliament?

It doesn't do any good, but the referendum was not about doing good. It was about Cameron trying to bring the extremists in his party under control. It failed and now the entire Union is falling apart.

London's economy could probably have given Sweden a go a couple of days ago.

It's strange how all of a sudden, all those big wigs in the City of London have been silenced. There's a lot of firepower there. Wonder if they will put their foot down.

Finance is global. They can buy favourable regulation and nose candy in any city.

kmag

From the comments from Johnson and pro brexitiers tories since yesterday it's clear that

A) they have absolutely no clue what to do and there's no plan at the political level for what happens next
B) they never expected to be in this position

Hell you just had Hannan saying maybe we'd still have free movement. Evan Davis near launched himself across the table.

A shower of absolute chancers

As long as you are a EU citizen, you should move as soon as possible and apply for a workers permit or citizenship as soon as possible. Sweden is probably the best bet, but Germany should be pretty good as well.
Wife and I are 100% seriously considering emigrating now. Dont want to bring our babies up in a xenophobic, little- Englander environment where Farage is seen as a modern day man of the people.

Trouble is our £ savings and assets are worth bugger all € now.

Tempted by France. Love the language, food, weather and skiing. Le pen may screw all that up though.

kmag

London's economy could probably have given Sweden a go a couple of days ago.

It's strange how all of a sudden, all those big wigs in the City of London have been silenced. There's a lot of firepower there. Wonder if they will put their foot down.
They're mostly just quietly moving operations which are directly dependent on eu access. The certain uncertainty is too much of a risk. Even putting their foot down doesn't change that uncertainty

There's a bunch of financial business which doesn't require European access and that stuff will remain in the medium term at least due to the expertise in London but if you're planning a new office or expansion I doubt London is top of the list.

Zelias

Banned
So now we are going to look back on cameron with rise tinted views right up until the part he decided to leave ?
No, he was a shitty PM with generally shitty policies. That he passed same-sex marriage in defiance of backbench troglodytes doesn't change that.

His magnum opus of stupidity has been gambling - and losing - with our EU membership, though. Congratulations Dave, you played yourself.

It's not loading for me, probably because it's overloaded.
But I'll take a wild stab at what might be in there and just say.

That really isn't how democracy is supposed to work...
It's all a "bit late for that" but I want to see it discussed in a more general context. Minimum turnouts and majorities are more than the dictionary definition are not bad things at all. This current outcome has 50% of people unhappy with it (if we throw in a few undecideds and a few regretful leaves) and that will go up when little changes.

But even if it is required to be discussed it is easy not to. Either don't attends the commons (you should see how empty the place is outside of PMQs) when it is being talked about or a more sinister one is to stall on the previous topic and make the clock run out like this was a children's card game.

Oh no.

Farage wants to relax UK gun laws. Says ban on handguns after Dunblane was 'kneejerk' and 'ludicrous'.

giphy.gif
There are no more EU debates for them to ruin so Govebbels won't have to pay for meals out with his son to keep him out the picture.

UKIP have always has loony polices (and not the ha ha monster raving loony party type) as it was basically where the crazy conservatives were exiled to, it is just nobody listened outside of the main issue they are named after. That is kind of the problem single issue parties have is what happens when the issue is solved? Game over.

This is the kind of reason why UKIP did have some MEPs but little to no MPs. I'm sure their one MP is going to be gone the next general election as we have UK dependance now so we can go back and vote as before. Either that or UKIP will ramp the foreigner hating up to BNP levels.

No, he was a shitty PM with generally shitty policies. That he passed same-sex marriage in defiance of backbench troglodytes doesn't change that.

His magnum opus of stupidity has been gambling - and losing - with our EU membership, though. Congratulations Dave, you played yourself.
His place in history will be up there with Churchill. But for all the wrong reasons. What an idiot.

This makes no sense, you will vote leave because you want unification since a changed decision will cause division...but then mention that you want to move to a different country.

It makes perfect sense. What's right for me personally, and what is now right for England are two different. Rehashing the referendum and continueling alienating half the population (even if the result swings back the other way slightly) would do nothing but further inflame feelings in an already divided nation. We've not long got over the troubles in NI, do we really need to push for anarchy and civil war in mainland England?

If they don't then we are going to get a shit deal and will do immense damage to our economy. Brexit MPs have already come out and backtracked on the idea of massively reduced immigration, our economy needs that immigration to function and we need it secure decent trade deals with the EU.

Having to make that pitch is going to be the biggest challenge for Boris, he knows that the immigration issue was completely distorted during the campaign. The Little Englanders that got us in this mess are in for a rude awakening if they think any government would want to limit immigration.

Not sure if it has been discussed, but Daniel Hannan (prominent Brexit MEP) said on Newsnight last night that it is highley likely that we would have to accept free movement of people. It;s inevitable.

This is going to be a disaster. A few leave voters cottoned on to the fact they were misled after Nigel's comments on the NHS, wait until this gains traction. I think it is fair to say that Immigration was the main reason we left for a majority of the leave vote.

Worryingly, many have voted leave on lies. Which is going to destroy trust in politicians even further. Tough Times.

Crumpo

If the Scottish Government gets any traction with the EU, then I can see a real case for Scotland, London, and Northern Ireland voting again on whether their future lies outside the 'UK', but for the UK as a whole I agree. A deal's a deal, this petition will change nothing.

This petition should have been lodged before the referendum was formally announced...I can't believe the Government decided on a simple majority on such an important decision.

DjRalford

I love all the posts about funding loss etc

You people do realise that after removing every penny the EU sent back to the uk, and that includes the funding, we were still out of pocket some 6billion £?

jonno394

Who even decides if London has a right to become it's own entity?

Jisgsaw

Wife and I are 100% seriously considering emigrating now. Dont want to bring our babies up in a xenophobic, little- Englander environment where Farage is seen as a modern day man of the people.

Tempted by France. Love the language, food, weather and skiing. Le pen may screw all that up though.

The whole of Europe is in a far right wing frenzy right now, you'll have that environment everywhere.
France has the FN, Germany has the AfD, Austria has the FPÖ and son on.

I personally went from Paris to Bavaria, and while I'll go back to Paris for a couple years for career reasons (and to be closer to the family for a while), I definitively plan to go back there soon. The bavarian economy is thriving, people are pretty laid back, and the Biergaten were a stroke of genius.
My tip would be to avoid Paris, unless you find that London prising + London overcrowding + unhelpfull and rude people is a great idea.

FunkyMonk

Voting should 100% be mandatory, just add a third option which allows people to abstain.

I don't agree with making it mandatory but there should be incentives, something like a 5% tax rebate if you've voted. (Note no serious thought has gone into this, it's just something that meandered into my thought process!)

CassSept

Well, still that's something for Gordon Brown. Being sandwiched between Tony Blair and David Cameron at least makes him not an absolute disaster, huh.

RedShift

Of course Cornwall, Yorkshire and Wales and these other money holes that voted for Leave expect London (and to a lesser extent Scotland) to start pouring money into them after they voted to fuck over the economy as a jab at "the London elite".

I would honestly love nothing more than for Scotland and London to leave, and for the rest of the country to discover how much they depend on the parts of the U.K. that don't run at a huge deficit.

More I think about it, the more I don't want to live in this country anymore. Since the result I've been constantly on the phone or exchanging messages with my European staff who, to a man, are all devastated and feel like the UK has rejected them. I know I'm going to lose good people because of this and it makes me sick.
I no longer feel English. Hopefully work goes through with the rumours and relocates my role so I can leave too.

This could get *very* ugly once the consequences sink in and people turn on each other. Especially in smaller communities.

It is quite stunning that the majority of leave voting places rely more on EU than the ones who voted to remain, so many turkeys lol ah well hell mend them i have no sympathy for what they have brought upon themselves, and i expect when they start moaning they will be told, deal with it, you made your decision.

oti

Banned
More I think about it, the more I don't want to live in this country anymore. Since the result I've been constantly on the phone or exchanging messages with my European staff who, to a man, are all devastated and feel like the UK has rejected them. I know I'm going to lose good people because of this and it makes me sick.
I no longer feel English. Hopefully work goes through with the rumours and relocates my role so I can leave too.

I wish you all the best.

The petition just passed 1,000,000 signatures:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I'm not sure whether to sign this or not.

I think what is done is done, and trying to undermine the political process is specifically some of the stuff that leave voters get hi-rate about.

On the otherhand,
Would they sign it, yes.
It's been a big stitch up from the beginning
The leave side have already backtracked on the NHS, Immigration levels and Free movement of people
Have voters been misled? Yeah they have
I'm already seeing a lot of voting remorse.

But i kind of think that if things get bad and that people realise that what they voted for is not what they are getting there might be a bigger public shift in attitude and calls for us to remain.

The pound didn't tank that hard vs the Euro.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
St Georges nooooo

My wife works for Coventry university .

I'm gonna have to move to France .

I have a daughter with her don't want her to lose out.

I'm English hope I can get a French passorr.

Problem is I have a son from a previous relationship.
He is nine . I can't leave him behind . Have to get custody or something . Any family lawyers on gaf?

nOoblet16

It makes perfect sense. What's right for me personally, and what is now right for England are two different. Rehashing the referendum and continueling alienating half the population (even if the result swings back the other way slightly) would do nothing but further inflame feelings in an already divided nation. We've not long got over the troubles in NI, do we really need to push for anarchy and civil war in mainland England?

So why would you even vote if you aren't going to live through what that vote decides? That effectively means you vote to decide for others while you fly away from that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom