• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Carl's lines in this episode were unbearable, and his stuff was so fucking contrived I couldn't stand it. I'd love if they actually had the balls to kill him off.

Agreed. It's not just the lines though - the actor playing him is really bad. (I know, he's a
kid, but still.)

I cannot believe this entire season will be on this damn farm.

snack

That zombie needs to work on his leg muscles at the gym. I found it hilarious how he couldn't step out of mud, but could tear a man in half.

That zombie needs to work on his leg muscles at the gym. I found it hilarious how he couldn't step out of mud, but could tear a man in half.

What's bothering me even more than that is how nobody tried to shoot the zombie before they got within a few yards of Dale. You know, since they had ranged weapons and all that.

But ultimately, Dale died because the script said so.

Come on people stop doubting Daryl, he is the most resourceful member. Carl losing his gun wont affect him
hopefully

I dunno. Maybe he'll be too emo to fight back later :/

So...I'm a fan of the comic series and this episode was very...eh?

Knowing the background story (to a degree) about the production of the second season and the conflicts Darabont had with AMC; the firing of Darabont had to factor into this specific episode. Hearing how staunchly loyal actors/actress and crew are with Darabont, I'm pretty sure Jeffery DeMunn voiced his displeasure with what happened to Darabont. Either they axed him because they didn't want him on the show anymore or he wanted to leave.

With that in mind it made what happened to Dale less dramatic and the impact weak. Had Darabont remained on the show, I would have been shocked by this episode.

Hiltz

All of the characters seem to have become hardended survivors in just this one episode besides Dale.

Holy shit. The same zombie Carl so epically failed to warn everyone about is the one that kills Dale? Wow.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Needs to happen when the surely coming Carl revealing to Mommy or Daddy he did this

hnnNL.jpg

Neiteio

I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN THAT KIND OF WORLD

*has been living in an armed survivalist camp for the last several months fighting off The Literal End of the World*
But within that camp, there was a semblance of society. You know, what separates us from the animals, the animals being all about "survival of the fittest," and society being about more inclusive solutions. Dale was distressed to see the group going down an animalistic path. Just because it's simpler, more straight-forward, doesn't mean it's the way to go if you're to try and preserve and at some point rebuild anything resembling a microcosm to which a sane human would want to belong. Everyone in the group wants that, but their means to an end was blurring the line.

Makes sense that Carl inherited her dumb "I'M GOING TO GO ALONE WITH A GUN I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FUCKING USE INTO A ZOMBIE INFESTED WORLD AND SEEK OUT TROUBLE SINCE THERE ISN'T ANY AT THIS SAFEHOUSE".

They should have just made that scene with Carl almost getting eaten at night, it might have make me believe his colossal stupidity and faulty judgment make more sense.

I was hoping it was going to go that way. The wrong one died that's for sure. Not to mention the kid's not a real great child actor.

^ That picture is amazing, BlueTsunami.

They just said on Talking Dead that the gun was Merle's. Makes sense, not sure I remember ever seeing Daryl use a gun.

So... when they were pooling resources, Daryl decided to not tell them he had a gun in the motorcycle's sidebag?

I can see that making a little sense. Maybe. Even though Daryl went through a long period of cozying up to the group, or at least Carol, before he retreated into his "survivalist" mode. He might want to keep a firearm to himself.

But would Daryl really refuse to carry a backup gun on his person? He has only a knife and a crossbow, and he's constantly losing arrows or neglecting to retrieve them (don't get me started on the latter point). What is he, Batman? Does he have a moral aversion to firearms that's so strong he would swear them off during a zombie apocalypse?

true blood isnt much better

I'm still trying to decide if I should make time for True Blood. I've heard it's worthless after season 1.

But within that camp, there was a semblance of society. You know, what separates us from the animals, the animals being all about "survival of the fittest," and society being about more inclusive solutions. Dale was distressed to see the group going down an animalistic path. Just because it's simpler, more straight-forward, doesn't mean it's the way to go if you're to try and preserve and at some point rebuild anything resembling a microcosm to which a sane human would want to belong. Everyone in the group wants that, but their means to an end was blurring the line.

They have a semblance of society here, no matter how much bad writing tries to make a reasoned group decision thought out over several days into a crazy murderous Shane-mob. Dale threw a hissy fit because it wasn't the society he was used to. He could not accept the possibility that this was a valid course of action, even though the others actually listened to him and tried to see it from his point of view.

"Civilized" societies have done far worse than execute attempted murderers in life-or-death survival situations.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Carl continues to be a dumbass and needs to die quickly already.

I'm still trying to decide if I should make time for True Blood. I've heard it's worthless after season 1.

If you take the time to pay attention and get attached to the characters and why they do what they do, it's totally worth it. It's not everyone's cup of tea though haha

Carl continues to be a dumbass and needs to die quickly already.

Yeah, every time he was on-screen wearing his cowboy hat, I went -_______-

Could they at least have shown Carl sneaking out of the house and away from his watchful parents? Sigh.

I was hoping it was going to go that way. The wrong one died that's for sure. Not to mention the kid's not a real great child actor.

Eh, he's okay. Sometimes he's good, and at other times he's not. Not every child can be Haley Joel Osment before his body outgrew his face.

FAKE EDIT: The second Google suggestion for "haley joel osment" is "haley joel osment fat," lol.

If you take the time to pay attention and get attached to the characters and why they do what they do, it's totally worth it. It's not everyone's cup of tea though haha

Hmm, I'll check it out then. Thanks.

royalan

Season 1 - The best vampire-related show of the last 10 years.

Season 2 - A few steps down, but still good and introduces two of the show's most interesting villains, which saves it somewhat.

Season 3 - A few steps further down, but introduces the show's BEST villain and one fucked-up sex scene that will forever change you.

Season 4 - Skip it. Just Skip it. Not a damn good thing I can say about this season.

Sean

Banned
Ausiello just tweeted that Dale was his "blind item" from November:

The backstage drama all started when series creator Frank Darabont was ousted. A whole lotta people were upset, you’ll recall, and this one person, so much so that he/she asked to be released from his/her contract. But, according to my moles, a funny thing happened between the time the request was made and when it was potentially granted.

A change of heart.

Now this member of the ensemble wants to stay. But it may be too late. (Even my sources don’t know for sure at this point whether the character is going to be written off, although one insider insists he/she ultimately got their wish.)

tl;dr version:

1) AMC fires Frank Darabont
2) Jeffrey DeMunn (Dale) wants off the show cause his close friend was fired
3) Then he changes his mind, wants to stay
4) Writers kill him anyway

I like the show but man can you see things a mile away. I knew they weren't gonna kill the kid and I knew as soon as dale said I don't want to live in this kind of world and stormed off that the zombie would get him.

So cliche and expected. I had a bunch of problems. If the zombie was eating the cow why did he stop? Was it full? Do zombies get full? If not and they just feed why did it stop? And why did it stop in time to sneak behind dale? How did he rip open his chest with such ease yet he grabbed Carls legs and he escaped unphased? As another poster mentioned why grab a scoped rifle and then refuse to use it? Why is Carl such a littlle nipple sniffer? Too many plot holes.

I like the show but man can you see things a mile away. I knew they weren't gonna kill the kid and I knew as soon as dale said I don't want to live in this kind of world and stormed off that the zombie would get him.

So cliche and expected. I had a bunch of problems. If the zombie was eating the cow why did he stop? Was it full? Do zombies get full? If not and they just feed why did it stop? And why did it stop in time to sneak behind dale? How did he rip open his chest with such ease yet he grabbed Carls legs and he escaped unphased? As another poster mentioned why grab a scoped rifle and then refuse to use it? Why is Carl such a littlle nipple sniffer? Too many plot holes.
the dale death might have been forshadowed decently heavily but the real payoff is HOW it happened, relating to Carl pussying out on killing it and him noticing it's the same one that kills Dale. That's where the actual payoff is.

Also maybe the zombie ate all the guts inside, cow skin maybe not so good? And then it moved on...then saw dale and came back to eat him dead. Also it's much easier to tear through an old mans gut than an ankle.

TheSeks

Yeah, ripping Dale's guts out seems a little weird after the trouble it had getting into the cow. :/

BY2K

Membero Americo
Is there any character that won't turn to shit in this series!? Now I even hate the freaking kid!

Does stupidity increase exponentially when there's a zombie apocalypse!? Damn it to hell!

And of course I wouldn't have sided with Dale, you can't kill someone based on fears. On uncertainties. These guys left him to die and he certainly didn't expressed any desire to go back to them.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hey, they wanted to kill Randall because they didn't want him to come back with his friends and kill everyone. Something there was nothing sure about.

Maybe you should watch so YOUR OWN PEOPLE doesn't cause the death of someone!

God damn it.

Fantastic episode!

Quite a shocking end and a really, really emotionally one at that... not only because of the death, but more on how he died and the pain on not only his face, but everyone else too. I mean, the way he looked at everyone through the pain and the realization of the group that Dale just got mauled by a fucking zombie. Such a good moment. Additionally, there was some seriously good acting in this episode. Amazing job on the actors, but also for Greg Nicotero for showing some seriously good directing chops! Regardless, I love the comic... love the comic. But I enjoy the differences between the comic and the show. To each there own, but I hope the show continues the way it is going.

Also, I don't really understand the "bad writing" sentiment that runs through here. I think that a lot of what goes on in the show is probably what would happen if a situation they were in were happening right now... likewise with the dialogue. We do a lot of now over meaningless things, so I couldn't imagine the end of civilization and a zombie apocalypse. Much of the character interaction seems very natural to me. Of course, none of us would really know how is exactly it would play out, but I wouldn't think otherwise. Granted, not everything is perfect by any means, but I enjoy it and I don't immediately find fault in it, which I tend to do with almost everything...

Also, not everything can be shown because of the length of the show, so the show certainly puts a lot on the viewer to understand that stuff is happening outside of what we see, like picking up arrows. Just reading through the thread, I think a lot of people really think too much about things and complain because not everything they want shown is shown. We, the viewer are left to pick up the pieces. It is common trait and I am far too used to it, so it really doesn't bother me. Gah, I'm sure I could write a fucking essay on the show.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next episode! Bring it!

Is there any character that won't turn to shit in this series!? Now I even hate the freaking kid!

Does stupidity increase exponentially when there's a zombie apocalypse!? Damn it to hell!

And of course I wouldn't have sided with Dale, you can't kill someone based on fears. On uncertainties. These guys left him to die and he certainly didn't expressed any desire to go back to them.

Welcome to humanity... We are our own worst enemy. I certainly don't fault the show for that, though. That is just how I think things would be. I would fucking hate everyone around me in a situation like the one they are in.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

That guy seems like a scum bag any way. The way he said the teenage girls were pretty made me not believe him when he said he wasn't involved in their gang rape.

TheSeks

Is this officially the shows jumping the shark point? Daryl is barely around anymore, Daleface is dead. That leaves Glenn and Portal references (Waiting for "THE BIRTHDAY CAKE IS A LIE!" on Carl's birthday). :/

Oh and PSYCHO SHANE! PSYCHO SHANE~!

the dale death might have been forshadowed decently heavily but the real payoff is HOW it happened, relating to Carl pussying out on killing it and him noticing it's the same one that kills Dale. That's where the actual payoff is.

Also maybe the zombie ate all the guts inside, cow skin maybe not so good? And then it moved on...then saw dale and came back to eat him dead. Also it's much easier to tear through an old mans gut than an ankle.

I had a different interpretation: because carl is a dung cyst he riled up an otherwise helpless zombie and got dale killed. I wasn't thinking he was being a wuss for not killing it when dale died. I was thinking he was an idiot for messong around in the first place. As soon as he saw it he should have told his parents. I mean if he did shoot it people would hear and he'd get in trouble for stealin, playing with a gun and running off - so him shooting the zombie wasn't really even an option.

BY2K

Membero Americo
And aside from the idiot thing, what the hell is up with Carl?

He shows up at the barn, talking to Randall, OUT OF ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE (seriously, how did he even get in there?), gives him one INSANE look, (I'm seriously thinking he's possessed by something) and then the "Do it, Dad, do it".

He doesn't even know the guy! I'm not even sure he knows why he's there or why they are arguing about him.

Just the whole episode, he looked like he was as insane as Shane.

Is this officially the shows jumping the shark point? Daryl is barely around anymore, Daleface is dead. That leaves Glenn and Portal references (Waiting for "THE BIRTHDAY CAKE IS A LIE!" on Carl's birthday). :/

Oh and PSYCHO SHANE! PSYCHO SHANE~!

An elderly Adolf Hitler, leaving Argentina for a vacation in Florida when the infection hit, shows up at the farm.

"We, CANNOT, condemn. This man. For something 70 YEARS ago." says Rick.

Shane bobs his head and talks to Rick without looking at him, and then Carl enters the scene with a bloody knife and a skull tattoo on his face.

"Hey, go to your mother," Shrick orders Carl.

He shows up at the barn, talking to Randall, OUT OF ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE (seriously, how did he even get in there?), gives him one INSANE look, (I'm seriously thinking he's possessed by something) and then the "Do it, Dad, do it".

He doesn't even know the guy! I'm not even sure he knows why he's there or why they are arguing about him.

dude is obviously lost, he is the only kid there, and it seems like all he does is get in the way, he is an outcast.

Kyou

I figured he's just trying to "be a man" now and act like a grownup.

And how he's seen grownups recently is going off into the woods with a gun to kill shit and also being cold hearted and killing people that might kill you.

Being a ten year old in a zombie apocalypse is going to kind of mess you up

Jubs

This is an alternate universe. In his world, Carl is actually batman. As was that zombie that silently snuck up on Dale, in a wide open field, no less.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I had a different interpretation: because carl is a dung cyst he riled up an otherwise helpless zombie and got dale killed. I wasn't thinking he was being a wuss for not killing it when dale died. I was thinking he was an idiot for messong around in the first place. As soon as he saw it he should have told his parents. I mean if he did shoot it people would hear and he'd get in trouble for stealin, playing with a gun and running off - so him shooting the zombie wasn't really even an option.

This is why I love the show! There is nuance to a lot of what happens and we are kind of left to interpret what is all means or where it goes. Carl is becoming a detriment to the group because he wants to fit in and not be a "kid." Unfortunately, he is trying to grow up too fast and "prove" himself to everyone, especially Rick and Shane. He wears his father's hat with prideful arrogance, but it almost always costs him in some fashion whether he is yelled at or does something stupid. However, that seems to motivate him even more; it almost always leads to his actions costing something... his effort to prove to himself that he isn't a kid (to himself) anymore ended up almost getting him killed and ended up leading a zombie back to the farm and getting Dale killed. His realization is what sold the episode for me.

Kid was afraid of being yelled at by his Dad he looks up too for fucking up again, but in his silence, it ended up leading to Dale's death. I think he knows he fucked up bad at the end when he saw the zombie. He thought he could be "cool" and strong and not only kill a zombie, but fuck around with it by throwing rocks at it, but he fucked up and it cost him. Afraid of being yelled at again and probably under the impression that it didn't follow him or still stuck in the mud, he didn't say anything... and bam, it cost a life. Tough wake up call for Carl, but he is a kid and I doubt it will deter him from trying again and again. Carl is going to fuck up hard again and it will cost people... I understand his intentions on wanting to prove to everyone he can help after what happened with Sophia, but he is a fucked up mind and no realizes it yet.

That is why I like the writing on this show. I hate the character for causing shit, but I love the character because of how they are developing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom