• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
One if the worst episodes in a long line of terrible episodes. My god these characters are as brain dead as the zombies.

Maybe that's the point.

Barrett2

I like how nobody addresses the fact that Lori lets her kid wander around unsupervised for hours on-end when there are monsters just beyond the woods.

I like how nobody addresses the fact that Lori lets her kid wander around unsupervised for hours on-end when there are monsters just beyond the woods.
Was thinking about that as well when. Lori must be paying a lot of attention to Carl when all he does is randomly popping up everywhere. Rick and Lori are such great parents.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*

The best part is when Rick & Lori have a moment together and they look out towards the sunset and then it cut back to Carl wandering the woods with the zombie. What other conclusion can you have but "Man, these parents are fucking stupid."?

On the topic of Lori and Rick's parenting: what do these people do all day? The only people you see actually doing shit is Herschel and his kids. We see them cooking or doing laundry but there are 24 hours in a day. Whats everyone doing? Someone could watch or at least keep tabs on Carl so that hes not totally aimless or alone.

It would be nice if they gave these people a project to work on. As it is, its just talking heads for most of the episode. Two people stand here on the farm and talk, two people stand over by the tree and talk, people stand in the barn and talk. It gives the feeling the plot isn't moving. Thats why shows usually have the crew walking or doing something because it conveys forward motion. Think Star Trek and them always walking down hallways.

On the topic of Lori and Rick's parenting: what do these people do all day? The only people you see actually doing shit is Herschel and his kids. We see them cooking or doing laundry but there are 24 hours in a day. Whats everyone doing? Someone could watch or at least keep tabs on Carl so that hes not totally aimless or alone.

It would be nice if they gave these people a project to work on. As it is, its just talking heads for most of the episode. Two people stand here on the farm and talk, two people stand over by the tree and talk, people stand in the barn and talk. It gives the feeling the plot isn't moving. Thats why shows usually have the crew walking or doing something because it conveys forward motion. Think Star Trek and them always walking down hallways.

Yeah, it would've made more sense to have them start on some sort of big defense project -- maybe putting up fences or traps or something to make the farm more secure during the down time since it obviously seems like they have long term plans to stay there. And why is it that nobody seems concerned that the 30 of Randal's cronies won't find the farm regardless of whether or not they free Randal? It doesn't seem to be too far away from town, where they last encountered them. Some line of defense other than stockpiling ammo would certainly help in that situation.

SpeedingUptoStop

Reminds me of the raft in S1 of Lost - it gave the characters something to be doing, something to have conflict over, something to work together on and actually achieve something when it was done. Everyone on this show is just shuffling around, constantly walking into other people's convo's. Sure, it makes the writing easy having everybody's free time be completely fluid to whatever direction the story wants to flow, but it also makes the reality less tangible.

I mean, is T-Dawg ever busy? Have him watch Carl, he'd be a better parent than Shane atleast.

LakeEarth

Was thinking about that as well when. Lori must be paying a lot of attention to Carl when all he does is randomly popping up everywhere. Rick and Lori are such great parents.

Also, when Carl comes back from his little forest adventure, he's covered in mud. His parents don't say anything.

Barrett2

Yeah, that's one of the things that kills the suspension of disbelief. Any sane group of people who found a safe haven like that should be doing so many things to fortify the farm. Built a literal moat around the house with sharp wooden spikes at the bottom, build a zip line at the top of the house that runs to a tree a few hundred feet away, reinforce the doors, windows, etc... do something!

I mean, is T-Dawg ever busy? Have him watch Carl, he'd be a better parent than Shane atleast.

Until he popped up in that Dale communist tirade speech, I honestly thought T-Dawg had already died.

SpeedingUptoStop

Yeah, that's one of the things that kills the suspension of disbelief. Any sane group of people who found a safe haven like that should be doing so many things to fortify the farm. Built a literal moat around the house with sharp wooden spikes at the bottom, build a zip line at the top of the house that runs to a tree a few hundred feet away, reinforce the doors, windows, etc... do something!

Makes you wonder what the 30 guys would even want with the place when they found it. Nobody on this show foritifies anything!

Westraid

Also, when Carl comes back from his little forest adventure, he's covered in mud. His parents don't say anything.
This times infinite.

I figured the snotface wouldn't tell about the zombie, let alone about what he did, but considering his mum is THE laundry woman, I expected her to demand an explanation. :\

Not so worried about Daryl being in a bad situation when he finds out the gun's missing, more worried about who might find it. Didn't Hershel have this no guns on my property rule? I've seen several characters wandering around with a gun, but I'm not sure if they all decided to hang the rules on that one.

Sorry to see Dale die like that. I kind of liked him. Laughed out loud when he made the Dale Face in s1e5. Whenever he encountered Shane as of late, hilarity ensued also.

Hope they don't kill of any more any time soon. Well, they can kill Lori and Carl, but I really like Glenn, Shane and Daryl.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Until he popped up in that Dale communist tirade speech, I honestly thought T-Dawg had died.

Wasted too much time searching for Sophia. When that was over, there's literally 1 day before having to start worrying about Prisoner Boy. Though, in the week or so that the held him captive before the 1st attempt to drop him off miles away, they should be doing this sort of thing.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I noticed this, and it looked weird as hell. I brushed it off as them having more important matters at hand, but they really seemed not to care/notice at all.

Wasn't the original reasoning for the farm being so safe was that there were swamps around the farm or something? :lol

.GqueB.

Banned

This is a great point actually. They're either talking while doing laundry, talking while cooking or talking while doing nothing. There's nothing really going on. How about some survival training? SOMEthing. In LOST they were always moving, always in conflict. Something was ALWAYS happening.

I hate to keep comparing this to LOST but that show did so much shit right and I feel they relate.

Barrett2

Wasn't the original reasoning for the farm being so safe was that there were swamps around the farm or something? :lol

I believe so. Early on the Zombie-Petting-Zoo-Drunk Herschel said something about a fence around the property, and quicksand. So presumably those two things act as natural barriers. Look, im' fine with that, seems logical, but its just ludicrous to *literally* have a ratty old screen door on the house and not do some obvious defense fortifications. Think of the rad zombie attack you could have on a fortified house.

But the real crime in all of this is that ridiculous stetson Carl wears. I want a really uncomfortable scene next episode where Lori just beats him with a belt for like 15 minutes.

Until he popped up in that Dale communist tirade speech, I honestly thought T-Dawg had already died.

Why would they do that? The gate had a latch on it.

I believe so. Early on the Zombie-Petting-Zoo-Drunk Herschel said something about a fence around the property, and quicksand. So presumably those two things act as natural barriers. Look, im' fine with that, seems logical, but its just ludicrous to *literally* have a ratty old screen door on the house and not do some obvious defense fortifications. Think of the rad zombie attack you could have on a fortified house.
Not to mention, roving packs of hooligans.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I want a really uncomfortable scene next episode where Lori just beats him with a belt for like 15 minutes.

This had me lol'ing. It's so true.

I'm with the sentiment that this show should be written more like Lost. The characters in TWD just feel so stupid and aimless. Only one person, Rick, has even brought up preparing for the winter. Even if the farm is sorta protected due to remoteness, swamps, and barbwire, I know for damned sure I wouldn't be just sitting around doing laundry all day, or gabbing on the porch. I'd be digging trenches with sharpened stakes, putting up layered defenses all around the house, and for fucking certain not letting the only little boy in the camp go wandering off by himself.

Everyone just sits around waiting for something to happen. Except for Hershel and his bunch (minus the bed-ridden chick), they do work around the farm.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I know it doesn't happen in the comics but....
fuck Carl. I hate the kid who plays him, and This show does NOT need any children. When they killed Sophia, I knew there was a chance we could be rid of all children, and I hope they take that plunge.

andycapps

But the real crime in all of this is that ridiculous stetson Carl wears. I want a really uncomfortable scene next episode where Lori just beats him with a belt for like 15 minutes.

Well, there's some big zombie attacks coming up if the show sticks to the comics at all. The house isn't the place for it though. The mud protects them from the zombies except for a couple stragglers. If they're in middle Georgia like I think they're supposed to be, then when that mud starts to freeze, or approach freezing temps, you'd see more of them start getting through.

Carl's hat used to be Rick's, and for whatever else the show has done wrong, they've at least stuck to the comic in that. Rick gave it to him, and Carl seems to be pretending to be a grown up, and this seems to be becoming a game like cops and robbers or something.

And why is it that nobody seems concerned that the 30 of Randal's cronies won't find the farm regardless of whether or not they free Randal? It doesn't seem to be too far away from town, where they last encountered them. Some line of defense other than stockpiling ammo would certainly help in that situation.

fair enough about the fortifying the farmhouse, would be beneficial and give the characters something to do.

but why would they be scared about the 30 guys finding the farm? it's shrouded in mud, swamps, forest etc. they're out there searching for whoever killed their guys (the 2 guys at the bar) they don't know about the farm. there's only 3 guys that do, the 2 dead guys in the bar and randall.

and if they have 30 men set up somewhere i imagine they've got a better fortified set up. the only reason they'd want search for a farm is because of it's natural resources and food supplies, but like i said, they don't know about it...yet anyway.

edit: and i also can't believe the lost comparisons. i fucking loved that show but omg to be written like it? where the characters stand around and don't actually address the strange things they've been seeing, where storylines are created and never resolved until 5 seasons later? where characters are introduced and dropped like a hat? atleast the shane, lori & rick love triangle isn't as cringy as the kate, sawyer and jack one.

how do people who have read the comics feel about them being so different? is it a case of "meh the book was so much better than the movie, man" or is it fine
I don't want to be one of those people, but the comic is so much better. If you want to like the show but are having a hard time, read the comic. The characters and stories have more time to be developed.

This show is getting unbearable at this point. I have it on in the background while I am working and even then I can't escape some of the drivel that is spewing out of people. Shane needs to go renegade kill everyone and start a whole new story with his exploits.

fair enough about the fortifying the farmhouse, would be beneficial and give the characters something to do.

but why would they be scared about the 30 guys finding the farm? it's shrouded in mud, swamps, forest etc. they're out there searching for whoever killed their guys (the 2 guys at the bar) they don't know about the farm. there's only 3 guys that do, the 2 dead guys in the bar and randall.

and if they have 30 men set up somewhere i imagine they've got a better fortified set up. the only reason they'd want search for a farm is because of it's natural resources and food supplies, but like i said, they don't know about it...yet anyway.

Right, but if they did find the farm (even on happenstance while searching for supplies, etc.), they would surely act as they did in the street when they were looking for their guys at the bar. It's not an impossibility -- they were scouting out the bar area... why not expand a little? Like the old adage about zombie films go -- sometimes the people are more dangerous than the zombies. And who knows what else lies out there? It just seems like there's more bickering about being unsafe than people working to make them more safe.

Revolver

Shane and Daryl would probably fit in better with this "other" group. They at least sound like they're doing something. Like it's been brought up, this group doesn't really do anything but sit around talking and waiting for something to happen. They should at least be out scavenging for supplies and weapons. Unless that gun bag is really bottomless with an endless supply of ammo.

aku:jiki

I don't want to be one of those people, but the comic is so much better. If you want to like the show but are having a hard time, read the comic. The characters and stories have more time to be developed.
I'd say they actually have less time to develop, so it's even more impressive. They didn't stay at the farm for, like, 45 issues and the characters still left it more developed and evolved than the show characters are going to.

Unless that gun bag is really bottomless with an endless supply of ammo.
They started complaining about lack of ammo in this episode. Trying to build up to them finding a reason to leave the farm, I guess...as if that doesn't just present itself. It's the fucking apocalypse, you can't chill out there and order takeout for the rest of forever. Really annoys me how much time and energy they spend on fighting over staying on the farm when it's so ridiculously obvious that they can't!

bjork

I'd say was so much better. It's been rehashing the same plot cycle for far too long.

Revolver

It's the fucking apocalypse, you can't chill out there and order takeout for the rest of forever. Really annoys me how much time and energy they spend on fighting over staying on the farm when it's so ridiculously obvious that they can't!

I know, and it annoys me when Rick and Lori start talking like they're going to raise the baby there. If they're thinking like that then how about going to town for more than a pregnancy test or fetching Hershel from the bar.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
what was Rentahamster's post right after referring to then?

I was referring to the fact that a particular aspect of the plot was given a specific name, implying importance, when we don't even know yet if that part of the story is going to develop any further than it has already.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

edit: and i also can't believe the lost comparisons. i fucking loved that show but omg to be written like it? where the characters stand around and don't actually address the strange things they've been seeing, where storylines are created and never resolved until 5 seasons later? where characters are introduced and dropped like a hat? atleast the shane, lori & rick love triangle isn't as cringy as the kate, sawyer and jack one.

It keeps coming back to me, that in the Bar conversation, when the 2 guys started bringing up the Farm. Rick/Herschel/Glenn never bring up the farm. The 2 guy's start asking questions, but end up "assuming" they are staying at a farm ("This farm sounds like a nice place").

It makes me think they knew about it already.

Dai101

Banned
It keeps coming back to me, that in the Bar conversation, when the 2 guys started bringing up the Farm. Rick/Herschel/Glenn never bring up the farm. The 2 guy's start asking questions, but end up "assuming" they are staying at a farm ("This farm sounds like a nice place").

It makes me think they knew about it already.

Yup. They seemed ratter suspicious.
I'm pulling this rigth out of my ass so fuck spoilers.

I can bet that the last episode is going to be a full loaded war between the two groups, with several casualties in the way. And also a lot of walkers too.

only during copies of the comics where things move forward; there were issues where nothing happens (significant) and you read it and you think; I waited weeks for that?

I'm almost ready to stop reading issues and wait on the trades.

Revolver

Yup. They seemed ratter suspicious.
I'm pulling this rigth out of my ass so fuck spoilers.

I can bet that the last episode is going to be a full loaded war between the two groups, with several casualties in the way. And also a lot of walkers too.

I'm thinking maybe Randall is full of shit and there isn't a camp of heavily armed survivors. Just a bunch of ragtag thugs. I do think the last episode will likely end up with a showdown though and hopefully the end of farmville.

And there's never a point in the comic where you're like "OK, come on. It's time for something new to happen...."

I don't see how you guys like the comic more. The pacing may be quicker, but it just sort of seems to drift through the narrative without stopping for anything and there's no real sense of drama because of it. Nothing has any impact whatsoever.

Kirkman best at the Battle Pope, Science Dog, Super Dinosaur stuff. Unfortunately they're nowhere near as popular as TWD.

I'm thinking maybe Randall is full of shit and there isn't a camp of heavily armed survivors. Just a bunch of ragtag thugs. I do think the last episode will likely end up with a showdown though and hopefully the end of farmville.
Yeah if anything I think he would minimize the other group's numbers, so the Farmville people wouldn't think they were as much as a threat.

Just watched it last night and that ending was just. I hated Dale and his condescending moralizing shtick. Dude, you are fighting zombies and the world has gone to shit, of course you need to change what being moral and just means.

I though it was weird too, but it may have to do with cutting the episode for time. It's too lazy of a mistake to think otherwise.

This show is getting unbearable at this point. I have it on in the background while I am working and even then I can't escape some of the drivel that is spewing out of people. Shane needs to go renegade kill everyone and start a whole new story with his exploits.

Shane is a psychopath who has lost any sense of conscience. Not too mention the Rick/Lori/Shane dynamic is so cliche/overdone and has been done a million times better on other shows.

JoeBoy101

Yeah, but if Hershel is already in denial about the zombies, I can totally see him be in denial about fortifying the place. Now, I think he's wised up, but that only happened a couple of episodes ago.

Barrett2

Yeah, but if Hershel is already in denial about the zombies, I can totally see him be in denial about fortifying the place. Now, I think he's wised up, but that only happened a couple of episodes ago.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess you have to look at Herschel's naive outlook as all encompassing, being weirdly reinforced the entire apocalypse because they have been so lucky so far.

shane is amazing.

the psychopaths are lori/rick

I don't think either group are really right or wrong, or crazy or sane, just supposed to represent the different outlooks. In that sense I think the show does a generally good job, you have your strong rational self interest people, the utilitarians, and 'Kantians' or whatever.

It's the moment to moment dumb dialogue that gets me irritated, though I feel the second half episodes have been much better at that. This was the only episode of the new batch that I felt had some really awkward moments.

SickBoy

Yep. I'm OK with the show, but this is the question that always bubbles up for me. How it is that he keeps being allowed to get into the middle of crap is totally beyond me. I'm not sure if it's the kid who plays him, the story or a little bit of both, but I feel more for comic Carl than TV Carl.

They started complaining about lack of ammo in this episode. Trying to build up to them finding a reason to leave the farm, I guess...as if that doesn't just present itself. It's the fucking apocalypse, you can't chill out there and order takeout for the rest of forever. Really annoys me how much time and energy they spend on fighting over staying on the farm when it's so ridiculously obvious that they can't!

I'm not sure why it should be "ridiculously obvious" to them why they can't.
Don't know exactly what the timeline is, but certainly they've been there for weeks at least, with only a handful of incidents, and most caused by them being stupid and not some external threat.

Regarding the ammo shortage: one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread (or I totally missed), but seemed to be the case to me, is that it appears Shane's already planning the takeover he broached with Lori in the last episode. Lori was bitching about the ammo shortage, cut to a scene where Shane is putting boxes into the trunk of his Hyundai (product placement!). I think he's squirreling it away.

I also think that based on the previews (preview spoilers)
that it's possible Shane let Randall out, for the purpose of hunting him down. I don't think he just escaped on his own.

Then again, maybe he did, and the Randall gang forces them out of the farm... dunno. All sorts of possibilities as to what will ultimately move them, because certainly it will happen by the end of the season, no?

Christopher

I have to say that reading the spoilesr really killed the moment of shock so from now on I can see why people avoid them so much.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

they should do what The Wire did and focus on a different set of people each series then link them together somehow.

I can't even remember why they're at the farm. The truck broke and then Carl got shot and now they're just staying? where were they going again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom