• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

I'm glad Dale is dead. He's nothing like the comic Dale. If he was like comic Dale I'd be super pissed.

Leaves more room to introduce superior characters.

Epcott

Ha ha, a Dale tribute... oh, I love this thread.

And you're right Pyro...
It's good to remain optimistic.

The character breakdown I made was a little unfair... but damn it, I was angry.

But there are two main issues I still have, everything else, I'm not really concerned about:

1) The 1 zombie shreds Dale, but 3 zombies only manage to dry hump Rick. It's not a gipe due to the inconsistent Walkers, I mean, they're dead and hungry... what more is there to say about them? It's not "Why did Dale die" either... he had it coming. The issue is how Rick slips out of that insane scenario unscathed (besides bruises and cuts left by Shane) and it makes him look like the untouchable hero... much like Bruce Willis from every Die Hard movie. I know he's the hero, but the circumstances they put him in... come on.

2) You have half an episode of Lori spouting dribble about "responsibilities". The next episode, Carl roams the woods with a gun, shows up for an execution... I mean, Sophia was just killed and no one is watching Carl... not even the responsible mother? Not even Sophia's mother? Things like this seem unnatural, even for characters in a television show. Man oh man does it make the characters unlikable.

But maybe that's just me venting due to the anger and void left in my heart due to lack of further Daleface (-_-)

I shall miss you Daleface

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I was so fucking over Dale at this point. Was happy he finally ate it. I can only take someone being so overtly earnest about a world that is long gone in every other episode for so long. Me and my wife are sitting there watching him talk about how if they do this civilization might as well be gone for good and we both look at each other like .. wtf... is he mental? it's a fucking zombie apocalypse.

Also .. no more of that godawful eyes wide suprise face that makes me wanna punch my 50 inch.

Get rid of stupid carl and shane next and we may just have a decent run into the Mayor for next season.

LoL - We also both forgot about T-Dog ... "OH YAH! He aint been up to much!"

orioto

Good Art™
Stupid, but I feel like it was the most impactful death on the show so far.

Fucking carl.

Well it happened just after we witnessed he was the only remaining morale people in the group... That was not a hazard i guess. But it seems many people just found him boring and condescendant lol.

I think, more than an important character's death, this is meant to sound as a deep and negative point of no return for the group here. Or maybe some character will actually evolve with his ideas after he passed away.

UberTag

2) You have half an episode of Lori spouting dribble about "responsibilities". The next episode, Carl roams the woods with a gun, shows up for an execution... I mean, Sophia was just killed and no one is watching Carl... not even the responsible mother? Not even Sophia's mother? Things like this seem unnatural, even for characters in a television show.
Carol tried to watch over Carl this week (really the only one who did... Shane just kept chasing him out of places he wasn't supposed to be) but Carl told her off by calling her an idiot for believing her dead daughter was in a better place.

I did enjoy Carol dressing down Lori immediately afterwards instead of just taking it in stride like a terminally abused woman.

Volimar

Carol tried to watch over Carl this week (really the only one who did... Shane just kept chasing him out of places he wasn't supposed to be) but Carl told her off by calling her an idiot for believing her dead daughter was in a better place.

I did enjoy Carol dressing down Lori immediately afterwards instead of just taking it in stride like a terminally abused woman.

I'm really glad characters are getting as fed up with all the passive aggressive attitudes (especially Lori's) as I am.

Grisby

I think, more than an important character's death, this is meant to sound as a deep and negative point of no return for the group here. Or maybe some character will actually evolve with his ideas after he passed away.
I think Rick and, to a lesser extent, Andrea, will take over Dale's deal. I mean, Andrea did agree with Dale at the town meeting and all.

Doomsayer

Dale's death was definitely a shocker to me, glad I stayed free of all the spoilers. His speech in the house about humanity and the division of the group was total foreshadowing of his death but I still didn't see it coming.

Epcott:

Your first complaint is a little unfair, I think. Rick was attacked by three walkers but one at a time for the most part. He was lucky to have the other walkers die and fall on top of him, had it not played out that way your complaint would be justified.

I also think the writers put Lori and Carl in that situation on purpose. It's going to cause a bigger divide between the group. I may be giving the writers too much credit, but this new team is leaps and bounds better than the previous crop.

SyNapSe

Dale's death seemed like bullshit. Really, Walkers can easily rip you in two? How the hell do you fight them off hand to hand then? It seems like quite a few characters have held them off for a period with 2 hands like Dale did.

Anyway, it seems like an obvious segway to the whole group moving back more to a humanitarian feel. Kind of weird Darryl was the first one out there.

UberTag

Your first complaint is a little unfair, I think. Rick was attacked by three walkers but one at a time for the most part. He was lucky to have the other walkers die and fall on top of him, had it not played out that way your complaint would be justified.
Pretty much this right here. He didn't engage in too physical a struggle with the first walker before killing him.
The walker's dead body then effectively acted as a human shield that protected him from being stomach shredded by the other two. Completely different set of circumstances.

Combine

Banned
The really bad writing was definitely showing in the episode with far too many logic-defying issues even for a show about zombies. The kind where the writers are incompetent at writing convincing scenarios for which characters would realistically behave and conduct themselves given the situation. Continuing to let Carl just wander alone on his own (despite already being caught multiple times in places where he shouldn't be) being the biggest one. I won't even go into Dale not having his gun at the ready while WALKING IN THE DARK and not able to hear a walker sneak up on him. And somehow Carl could get out of the zombies grip but Dale couldn't.

SyNapSe

I was so fucking over Dale at this point. Was happy he finally ate it. I can only take someone being so overtly earnest about a world that is long gone in every other episode for so long. Me and my wife are sitting there watching him talk about how if they do this civilization might as well be gone for good and we both look at each other like .. wtf... is he mental? it's a fucking zombie apocalypse.

To me that's silly, I got Dale's point. Humans define what civilization is.. In some muslim countries they still stone people to death or go Eye 4 Eye on crime. A lot of people on these boards clearly find those actions heinous but we as the majority of a nation define what is ok and not ok. Everyone has to set their boundaries and the zombie apocalypse doesn't necessarily mean you have to kill everyone who isn't a part of your group.

bill0527

Dale's death seemed like bullshit. Really, Walkers can easily rip you in two? How the hell do you fight them off hand to hand then? It seems like quite a few characters have held them off for a period with 2 hands like Dale did.

Anyway, it seems like an obvious segway to the whole group moving back more to a humanitarian feel. Kind of weird Darryl was the first one out there.

The director of that episode wa on Talking Dead and saying something about how some zombies can rip you open because their fingers are decayed down to sharpened bone. No doubt he was covering his and the writers asses because that seemed a little far fetched that a zombie could just rip someone open.

Arment

And somehow Carl could get out of the zombies grip but Dale couldn't.

Carl is small and young. Also, the zombie was still stuck with one foot when he grabbed Carl. Also, Carl was never fully in his grasp, but just out of reach.

Dale is old, was caught unaware and the Zombie got him in a full hug right off the get go.

As for the zombie sneaking up on Dale, in the comic they classify the zombies. Not really spoiler material, but I'll appease everyone who wants to remain in the dark.

There are specific zombies that are very silent, I think they call them Lurkers. They wait real quietly until you're close to them and then they get you.

Anyways so I don't look at it as bad writing. They're staying faithful to a lot of the source material.

Epcott

Oh sweet, I missed that whole exchange. That does make sense. I'll need to re-watch it ondemand. My AMC has these strange freezing fits.

You're right, they were falling one at a time.

Although, I can't remember if the first walker on top of Rick was dead by the time he fell on him (shielding him from the other two who were active). I know two the two walkers that piled on top were very much "alive", since he later did a one shot two kill. It just bothered me that they had Dale in a similar scenario (Walker on top) the very next episode, with only one walker... which proved fatal. Had Rick not been in that predicament previously, I would be able to cut them more slack.

lush

Finally watched it. Rick saying, "We're going to have to operate right here" as Dale's entrails continued to gush out was pretty great. Also the idea of Andrea arguing a case via being a civil rights lawyer had me rolling. Welcome back T-dog. And fucking Carl, god damn.

One down. Several to go.

Yeah. I had no idea Andrea was a civil rights lawyer.

Dale was right about humanity, natural laws, and the doomed world. It's like reverting back to savages. Aristotle wouldn't be pleased.

bengraven

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:( FUCK YOU WRITING STAFF.

First time my wife was visibly upset after a death on a TV show. I think her heart might finally be thawing.

Fucking Game of Thrones moment.

bengraven

Just rewatched because something bothered me. He's just sitting there, silent, panicking and dying. The man with so many words didn't know what to say. What bothered me was that when he suddenly sees Rick and then Daryl putting a gun to his head I didn't see any reaction except panic.

His face was like "Jesus Christ guys, what the fuck are you doing? I'm your friend!". I couldn't believe how emotionless they looked when they were going to kill him.

But after a rewatch I saw that Dale puts his head up and touches the barrel of the gun. He accepted his fate and wanted Daryl to do it.

Then I fucking broke down again.

----

Also, interesting little bit from that Hollywood Reporter interview with Kirkman (SPOILERS FOR REST OF SEASON):

THR: With Hershel giving Glenn his valued watch shortly after taking care of Beth, is he starting to let go and realize his time is limited?
Kirkman: I think that anybody in this situation would think their time is limited. Hershel knows he may not be as fast or as strong as everyone else. He sees the world closing in on him -- his farm appeared to be a much more secluded place until recently -- and now there's the threat of Randall's group laying on the horizon. There also seem to be more and more zombies creeping into the farm now that the mud area has frozen up so it's more dangerous. He's definitely concerned for his safety and everyone's safety, but possibly more so his.

So that's how the farm was so safe. Should have
spent the warm months putting up some thick barbed wire. Missed opportunity.

sk3

Banned
Just saw it. Hahaha so long Dale you annoying asshole.

During his speech I just wanted someone to shout to him, "That world is long dead, welcome to the new world. Survival of the fittest is back."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
First time my wife was visibly upset after a death on a TV show. I think her heart might finally be thawing.

Ah-hah! So that's why we had a mild winter! :p

I didn't notice Dale putting his head to the barrel of the gun. But I did see him accept that he was dying in his facial expressions.

Revolver

Carl just has to die. I hate the little puke and his stupid hat. I can't believe he just sashayed back home and didn't say a word about the zombie that looked like it was starving and had just broken free thanks to him. Hated to see Dale go in such a pointless way. That zombie had some serious sneaking skills, came out of nowhere.

Also, I'm starting to think Merle is in the group Randel was with, possibly even leading them. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but when Randel was talking about what they did to those girls, it seemed like it struck Daryl as sounding very familiar.

Grisby

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:( FUCK YOU WRITING STAFF.

Fucking Game of Thrones moment.
My mother told me today she was really upset with how violent it was. Dale's death kind of got to her as well.

I felt bad for Carl, kid might have been jerking around but his face when he realizes that it;s the zombie from earlier that day made me sad. I mean, he realizes he killed Dale.

Fry

Besides the great death scene, and the moments where they decided what to do with the boy, it was a painfully average episode. I expected more from this second half of the season.

Still, I really enjoy watching the show, and next episode looks awesome.

kingocfs

Hated Carl since the first ep I saw him in, although that's probably because the kid who plays him is an awful actor.

And Dale during the meeting about Randall was fantastic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fucking Carl, what a moron.

I was thinking that they would have went with the angle of Dale convincing them to spare Randall's life only to have Randall betray them and injure/kill Dale in the process.

They way they went with Carl being partially responsible for Dale's death is kinda meh, but we'll see how this develops.

Ninja zombie and inconsistent strength is dumb.

WARP10CK

Banned
I think this show took a turn for the worse now, I am cheering the damn zombies on at this point.
None of the remaining characters are that interesting all of them are really annoying.

Just saw it. Hahaha so long Dale you annoying asshole.

During his speech I just wanted someone to shout to him, "That world is long dead, welcome to the new world. Survival of the fittest is back."

Executing someone for a crime they might commit is beyond the pale.

Also, interesting little bit from that Hollywood Reporter interview with Kirkman (SPOILERS FOR REST OF SEASON):

So that's how the farm was so safe. Should have
spent the warm months putting up some thick barbed wire. Missed opportunity.

Oh yeah.
Frozen mud. In middle Georgia. Speaking of which, I wonder why there haven't been 100 thunderstorms yet, considering it's summer and fall.

I think he and everyone here knows that. But even everyone in the show knows arbitrarily killing people is wrong, but some acknowledge the fact they may not have the luxury of being so enlightened anymore. Its kill or be killed in a world without rules and consequence. Society has completely broken down.

This is literally the first episode I've had a problem with. Usually its minor things here and there. But man, they really screwed up. If Dale dies...fine. But don't make him die like that. They better come back to show Carl waking up from a nightmare and then getting mauled by a pack of zombies for having such a stupid dream.

Arment

In a nice civilized world I agree. Their world is quite different though. Trusting someone means your family dies. There's really no good decision for them at the moment. If it were someone who was shooting at me I wouldn't have even saved him. Rick created himself a huge dilemma by bringing him to the camp and making everyone a party to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom