• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Eusis

Getting back into the swing of things, stuck with hard difficulty and I see it can affect AN achievement, but I suppose if you want them all you'd be better off just running with Death March and not worrying about this one. Eh, whatever, it's providing a good enough challenge even if I feel like I win by luck at times, and usually doing something else solves things; I'm guessing if I clear White Orchard while staying on it then I can probably handle the whole game that way. Or at least I can save it for when I'm stuck on some story mission and just want to see what the hell happens.

Bitter Harvest is the foulest quest in the game and the reason I'm glad I started B&BB instead of DM. It's just agonizing. I'm leaving it for as late as I can. I'm already Lv15!

The game's pretty easy now though. Not like in the early game where a small group of Drowners was scary.

Nordicus

Bitter Harvest is the foulest quest in the game and the reason I'm glad I started B&BB instead of DM. It's just agonizing. I'm leaving it for as late as I can. I'm already Lv15!
Ugh, yeah, I'm fine with missable content, but giving a player a failable quest that they have to accept before even knowing what level it is, is just bad design imo.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So I gave the game a third try and seems to finally be clicking with me.

I have a question though...I just got to Velen. Am I severely under leveled or something? I'm 3/4 the way to level 4.The first mission is to travel to an Inn and it's recommended that I'm level 5, and the other 2 that I have are like level 15+.

I thought I did all I could in White Orchard. I went to all over the ? marks, and did the quests on the board...

you're not lvl 4 yet? i was about lvl 7/8 by the time I got to Velen. did you do everything in White Orchard? it's basically a ~10 hour tutorial area. once you arrive in Velen that's when the game really starts.

anyway it doesn't really matter. just go by the colour coding of each quest. for example, if a quest recommends lvl 15 then don't attempt it until you're at least level 10 when it will go from red to green. you can play it when it's red but that means you're underleveled and will find it way harder. you have until lvl 20 before the quest turns grey which means you'll get very little XP compared to what you'll have got when it was at red/green. so basically once you're 5 lvls below the recommended lvl of a quest then you can do it and you have 5 lvls after the recommended lvl to get XP from it. try prioritise quests based on this although at some points the recommended lvl's are weird. for example, i think the quest to go to skellige is lvl 14 but one you get there you'll get quests with lvl 7 recommendation.

don't worry about not getting XP from grey quests though. the game just doesn't give you any since you're overleveled by at least 5 lvls. it just helps balance the game out. as long as you complete the main quest you'll end up at lvl 30. secondary quests/treasure hunts etc all give you XP but you get most of it from the story quests. first time i played i finished at lvl 34 and second time it was lvl 36.

So I gave the game a third try and seems to finally be clicking with me.

I have a question though...I just got to Velen. Am I severely under leveled or something? I'm 3/4 the way to level 4.The first mission is to travel to an Inn and it's recommended that I'm level 5, and the other 2 that I have are like level 15+.

I thought I did all I could in White Orchard. I went to all over the ? marks, and did the quests on the board...

Glad to hear it's finally clicking. It only gets better, you are in for a ride.

I am also lvl 3 when I left WO, so you are fine. You will rapidly lvl up from this point, so just stick to the lowest level quests to make sure you don't over-level for quests.

Lender

The Wild Hunt is 1 year old!

EN_Birthdaycard_2560x1440.jpg

tauke

"Is it May 19th yet?"

Damn it's been a year since The Witcher 3 launch and I still haven't finish the game despite clocking in 120 hours and still haven't bought the expansion packs.

So I just back into playing, absolutely love it and no idea why I stopped the first time, but I have been running into an issue. Vimme Vivaldi will not appear at the bank regardless of what I do, and I haven't started Hearts of Stone yet so I know it isn't that. Did I get permanent bug that has screwed me out of exchanging my currency?

Smokey

you're not lvl 4 yet? i was about lvl 7/8 by the time I got to Velen. did you do everything in White Orchard? it's basically a ~10 hour tutorial area. once you arrive in Velen that's when the game really starts.

anyway it doesn't really matter. just go by the colour coding of each quest. for example, if a quest recommends lvl 15 then don't attempt it until you're at least level 10 when it will go from red to green. you can play it when it's red but that means you're underleveled and will find it way harder. you have until lvl 20 before the quest turns grey which means you'll get very little XP compared to what you'll have got when it was at red/green. so basically once you're 5 lvls below the recommended lvl of a quest then you can do it and you have 5 lvls after the recommended lvl to get XP from it. try prioritise quests based on this although at some points the recommended lvl's are weird. for example, i think the quest to go to skellige is lvl 14 but one you get there you'll get quests with lvl 7 recommendation.

don't worry about not getting XP from grey quests though. the game just doesn't give you any since you're overleveled by at least 5 lvls. it just helps balance the game out. as long as you complete the main quest you'll end up at lvl 30. secondary quests/treasure hunts etc all give you XP but you get most of it from the story quests. first time i played i finished at lvl 34 and second time it was lvl 36.

I did. I went to every ? mark on the map in W Orchard. I did the things on the board in that first little village you go to. So unless I missed something I thought I did what could in WO.

Is it possible to change back to the original main menu screen after installing Hearts of Stone? The new one is fine, I'm just partial to the original.

Naito

Visual spoiler of the Grandmaster witcher gears in Blood & Wine.

My takes
- Ursine looking boss, they tried to match the original bear gear artwork. Bummer that it is not completely there yet (too few fur)
- Wolf has small tweaks around, looks mostly the same with more belts (luckily far from Kingdom Hearts' density)
- Griffin also same-ish, the chainmail scarf is a welcome addition but it is still the "fatty" armor if one hated that authenticity about it
- Feline brings back the hood from TW2, would have prefered if it could have been also available without – I prefer to see Geralt's hair
- Manticore is a nod to TW1, but when compared to the other school gears it feels under armored

Overall I can't really complain: I really wished that B&W would add one more mastery level to the witcher gears :)

Best game I've played this generation by far, it's just a tremendous achievement all around. I can't believe it's been a year, I remember opening my game and seeing all the awesome stuff that went packed with it. I played the OST CD at work before getting home and playing the actual game and it was just fantasic. I also love my physical Gwent deck as well. And Yen is the industry bestest MILF ever bar none, so there really isn't any complaints. I'm stupid happy all over again.

Happy birthday you beautiful fucking masterpiece and thanks again CDPR.

FInished Hearts of Stone with week and a half to spare before Blood and Wine. Not gonna lie, as fantastic as this was it still felt like DLC at the end of the day, with a very impersonal minor tale in the grand scheme. Sure, it was tragic and had some very fun moments
the wedding
but still DLC-feeling. Hopefully Blood and Wine doesn't suffer as much from this seeing how it'll be a bit more of a final send-off so they're bringing all the bells and whistles.

Seeing how it's a brand new region I'm sure it'll have a decent amount of sidequests, and I ended this in level 38 so with some sidequests I can hopefully reach level 40 in the new expansion soon enough and get what I want.

Grandmaster Bear and Wolf armor you shall be mine

demonkaze

Coming back to this after a long lay off, think I was around Lv 13 or so. Is there any recommendations on builds, I want one that will get me through the game hassle free as I want to finally finish it after keep putting it down. Also looking to get into the dlc so was wondering what sidequests are ones that shouldn't be missed on a first play through.

TheKeyPit

Banned
The Wild Hunt is 1 year old!

EN_Birthdaycard_2560x1440.jpg

Is there a version without the witcher logo?

Visual spoiler of the Grandmaster witcher gears in Blood & Wine.

My takes
- Ursine looking boss, they tried to match the original bear gear artwork. Bummer that it is not completely there yet (too few fur)
- Wolf has small tweaks around, looks mostly the same with more belts (luckily far from Kingdom Hearts' density)
- Griffin also same-ish, the chainmail scarf is a welcome addition but it is still the "fatty" armor if one hated that authenticity about it
- Feline brings back the hood from TW2, would have prefered if it could have been also available without – I prefer to see Geralt's hair
- Manticore is a nod to TW1, but when compared to the other school gears it feels under armored

Overall I can't really complain: I really wished that B&W would add one more mastery level to the witcher gears :)

That Ursine makes Geralt look like a really fat witcher.
I'll still craft it

Auctopus

I remember begging for riding cloaks and hoods a couple weeks ago but I was hoping they'd appear in a new "head armor" slot. Not as an irremovable attachment to my main armor :/

So I'm considering picking the game up since it's half off currently. I can't decide on PS4 version vs PC. My current PC is decent (3570k overclocked to 4.1GHz, Radeon HD 7870 also slightly overclocked, 16GB ram) and would likely run it a little better than the PS4 could PLUS I'd have access to mods (I would likely use one of the weight restriction ones) which is nice. The biggest issue is I would prefer to play it on my TV downstairs instead of on my monitor up in my room. It would be annoying to move my computer downstairs, then back upstairs when I wanted to use it there. Then again, I have a laptop that I can use at home anyway... Hmm.

Few questions if anyone can help!

1) How well does the PS4 version run now with patches? Does it maintain a consistent 30fps?

2) Are the DLC expansions worth it? I could buy the base game + the season pass for $48. Not sure if I should just get the base game first to make sure I like the game at all before getting the DLC, too.

3) If I enjoyed the Witcher 2 (mainly for the characters and story, didn't care for the battles all that much), would I probably like TW3 too?

4) How much of the Witcher lore should I know before diving in? I only played the Witcher 2 to completion. Would you recommend reading some wikis or watching some "recap" videos on Youtube (any suggestions if so?)?

Thanks for any help! :)

So I'm considering picking the game up since it's half off currently. I can't decide on PS4 version vs PC. My current PC is decent (3570k overclocked to 4.1GHz, Radeon HD 7870 also slightly overclocked, 16GB ram) and would likely run it a little better than the PS4 could PLUS I'd have access to mods (I would likely use one of the weight restriction ones) which is nice. The biggest issue is I would prefer to play it on my TV downstairs instead of on my monitor up in my room. It would be annoying to move my computer downstairs, then back upstairs when I wanted to use it there. Then again, I have a laptop that I can use at home anyway... Hmm.

1) How well does the PS4 version run now with patches? Does it maintain a consistent 30fps?

2) Are the DLC expansions worth it? I could buy the base game + the season pass for $48. Not sure if I should just get the base game first to make sure I like the game at all before getting the DLC, too.

3) If I enjoyed the Witcher 2 (mainly for the characters and story, didn't care for the battles all that much), would I probably like TW3 too?

4) How much of the Witcher lore should I know before diving in? I only played the Witcher 2 to completion. Would you recommend reading some wikis or watching some "recap" videos on Youtube (any suggestions if so?)?

1. I never played it on PS4, but I did play it on PC at launch on an i-3570k @4.2 and ATI 7850. I could tweak settings so that is looked very nice running at 30fps, and performance has improved since then (swamps), so you probably won't even get the dips that I had. I almost went PS4, but I'm glad I didn't, just for the little quality of life mods available.

2. If you get the game on PC, W3 is $25 right now on GoG, while the expansion pass is always $25, so even if you only wanted to pick up W3 right now, the difference would be a couple of bucks down the road. If you go PS4...all that content is crazy for $48. It would suck if you got it and didn't enjoy it, but $48 for something like 150-200 hours (if trying to do everything) for a single playthrough is insane.

3. I think you'd enjoy it. Politics do take a backseat in this game to Geralt & friend's more personal adventures.

4. You can play it as is, but maybe watch a quick recap of W1 on youtube? There are a bunch of characters that are from the books, but it's not worth reading 2 short story books and 5 novels to know about their backstory, unless you just want to read the books. They give you enough to understand, "OK, Geralt knew this person, and now this is happening."

3. I think you'd enjoy it. Politics do take a backseat in this game to Geralt & friend's more personal adventures.

4. You can play it as is, but maybe watch a quick recap of W1 on youtube? There are a bunch of characters that are from the books, but it's not worth reading 2 short story books and 5 novels to know about their backstory, unless you just want to read the books. They give you enough to understand, "OK, Geralt knew this person, and now this is happening."

Thanks a lot for your reply! :)

1. Our PCs are pretty comparable, so that's good to hear it runs well for you (especially post-patches). The quality of life mods are definitely part of the reason why I want to get the PC version.. so handy. Any recommendations on mods?

2. Hmm, good point on the base game + expansions and buying them separately since it'd really only save me a few bucks. It would definitely suck to buy it and not enjoy it enough to finish the game, so I'm leaning toward doing that. I feel like I'll enjoy it, but it's not a big deal to just wait on the expansions.

3. That's good to hear about the story. While I enjoyed some of the politics in TW2, I think I would enjoy a story more about Geralt and his friends. I think I'd like it, too really. I've watched some videos - world looks really cool, too.

4. Ah gotcha. I'm definitely not going to read any of the novels or whatever (at least prior to playing). I do feel like I likely need to watch some recap videos before diving in (especially if some characters play a role in the story from those games). I remember most of the people from the second game, but none from the first really (since I only watched a summary video of that a couple years ago before playing TW2).

Pretty sure I'm going to get it after finishing Uncharted 4 (I'm close to beating it). I'm still a bit unsure about which version, but leaning toward the PC version (due to more options for graphics and mods). I'd likely just move my PC downstairs until I beat it (this could take a while though lol). And as far as the expansions goes... I think I will wait until I beat the main story and see if I want to keep playing the DLC right away or hold off on those.

Thanks again for your help. :)

mileS

1) PS4 version runs really well now. There are minor drops in the large city here and there but considering what is going on it's not a big deal. The game is really smooth now :)

2) Can't speak for the DLC that isn't out (although it looks great and the changes are something fitting of a sequel, amazing stuff) Hearts of Stone is one of the best DLC's I've ever played. It would be hard to find anyone that wouldn't agree HoS is an absolute steal at $9. They even step up their cut scene game, some of them make the main game stuff look dated TBH. Can't speak highly enough of it. Grab that pass if you are getting the game.

3) if you liked W2 in any shape or form you will love this game. Don't worry about the combat.

4) I would check this out for a quick read http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-world-of-the-witcher-1704506152

It's important to get a general idea of the factions and some of the kings. They will refer to a lot of personal character history throughout the game, but at the end of the day it's not super important. You aren't meant to know every single detail IMO. That being said, if you want to know more at any time the in-game character logs and quest text will in a lot of the gaps you may have.

Can't help with the PC details and how well it will run compared to PS4. I'm sure there are some others here that can shed more light on that. Regardless the game is always on sale now, seems like every second week at least.

Some of the mods I use should be redundant after the patch comes out (manual sheath/unsheath), but a few handy ones I like are...

HD texture mod
No dirty lens effect
Toxicity clean face
Hairworks on beard, but not hair
Give all NPCs scabbards
Thinner Griffin armor
No Witcher sense zoom
Jump in shallow water
No rolling down stairs (LOL)

Some of the mods I use should be redundant after the patch comes out (manual sheath/unsheath), but a few handy ones I like are...

HD texture mod
No dirty lens effect
Toxicity clean face
Give all NPCs scabbards
Thinner Griffin armor
No Witcher sense zoom
Jump in shallow water

They will have the option to turn off Fisheye effect too.

1) PS4 version runs really well now. There are minor drops in the large city here and there but considering what is going on it's not a big deal. The game is really smooth now :)

2) Can't speak for the DLC that isn't out (although it looks great and the changes are something fitting of a sequel, amazing stuff) Hearts of Stone is one of the best DLC's I've ever played. It would be hard to find anyone that wouldn't agree HoS is an absolute steal at $9. They even step up their cut scene game, some of them make the main game stuff look dated TBH. Can't speak highly enough of it. Grab that pass if you are getting the game.

3) if you liked W2 in any shape or form you will love this game. Don't worry about the combat.

4) I would check this out for a quick read http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-world-of-the-witcher-1704506152

It's important to get a general idea of the factions and some of the kings. They will refer to a lot of personal character history throughout the game, but at the end of the day it's not super important. You aren't meant to know every single detail IMO. That being said, if you want to know more at any time the in-game character logs and quest text will in a lot of the gaps you may have.

Can't help with the PC details and how well it will run compared to PS4. I'm sure there are some others here that can shed more light on that. Regardless the game is always on sale now, seems like every second week at least.

Thanks a lot for all the information and the link to that beginners guide. Gonna read it now. I'm happy to hear the PS4 version runs really well now. Still leaning toward PC version simply due to having access to mods, though. Hmm...

HD texture mod
No dirty lens effect
Toxicity clean face
Give all NPCs scabbards
Thinner Griffin armor
No Witcher sense zoom
Jump in shallow water

Cool, thanks for the list!

Eusis

Thanks a lot for all the information and the link to that beginners guide. Gonna read it now. I'm happy to hear the PS4 version runs really well now. Still leaning toward PC version simply due to having access to mods, though. Hmm...
What video card do you have? Some of them will run fine most of the time then just lock up entirely, had that happen on my old 560 Ti when I managed to set that computer up and that had 512 MB of RAM. I suspect if your video card doesn't have that much (or if there's an issue with that architecture) you'll be better off with it on PS4. Otherwise, if you have a card better than that with more VRAM then get PC, definitely.

What video card do you have? Some of them will run fine most of the time then just lock up entirely, had that happen on my old 560 Ti when I managed to set that computer up and that had 512 MB of RAM. I suspect if your video card doesn't have that much (or if there's an issue with that architecture) you'll be better off with it on PS4. Otherwise, if you have a card better than that with more VRAM then get PC, definitely.

I have a Radeon HD 7870. I think that should be fine for the game. Shame it doesn't have a demo lol

So I have a Witcher 2 clear save file on PC that I can use to I assume have my choices automatically show up in Witcher 3. Do I miss anything by doing this? Like, I know you get a scene while being shaven that lets you choose what happened in the Witcher 2. If you import a save flie, what happens during that scene? Would it be better to just not import my save file so I can choose stuff and hear the dialogue (I assume it's basically a recap of what happened)?

The Elven Rebel haircut is definitely among one of my favorite hairstyles for Geralt. I wished there was more hairstyles.

I had the elven rebel cut with the bear armor and the mustache/soul patch combo. Made him look like a badass mustachio'd knight.

Only recently did I switch to the short wavy hair (like your avatar) with mutton chops plus the wolf armor. Makes him look like a badass monster hunter similar to Van Helsing time period.

There are some good combos with different types of armor/hair/beard styles. I like Ursine with long, loose hair, and a full beard. Also like the loose, but not so long hair, and clean shaven.

wK1vqn8.png

jZxuoPo.png

BRO

I'LL FIGHT YOU

In another story, I just watched the video of the guy fighting all of the nightmare phantoms at the same time. I thought it was going to be impressive but then he just spams that cheap rend attack over and over again and kills them all in like 4 hits. Part of the reason I don't do shit like that is because I want a proper challenge.

impact

Banned

Go with the PC version. When you upgrade your hardware you'll be able to max it out at 60fps, which might as well be a completely different game than the console versions.

Honestly hated the game on PS4, but it's starting to click for me on PC. But I'm a graphics whore so ymmv.

Go with the PC version. When you upgrade your hardware you'll be able to max it out at 60fps, which might as well be a completely different game than the console versions.

Honestly hated the game on PS4, but it's starting to click for me on PC. But I'm a graphics whore so ymmv.

PS4 version with the latest patch runs basically smooth as butter. Only stutters when you're doing intensive shit, like cloning a dude 20 times to get easy money like I did :p

Mediking

I had the elven rebel cut with the bear armor and the mustache/soul patch combo. Made him look like a badass mustachio'd knight.

Only recently did I switch to the short wavy hair (like your avatar) with mutton chops plus the wolf armor. Makes him look like a badass monster hunter similar to Van Helsing time period.

I wore the Elven haircut for a long time in Novigrad but when I got to Skellige... I changed back to classic Geralt hair and beard. Now I'm in Kearn Mohern with the classic hair and beard. You can give Geralt glasses? How???? Lol

I wore the Elven haircut for a long time in Novigrad but when I got to Skellige... I changed back to classic Geralt hair and beard. Now I'm in Kearn Mohern with the classic hair and beard. You can give Geralt glasses? How???? Lol

Hearts of Stone item.
Auction house.

Top Bottom