• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

O08GT26.gif

Believe it.

...Mostly due to a six month hiatus with the game. Not thaaat wild.

Believe it.

...Mostly due to a six month hiatus with the game. Not thaaat wild.

I realized I probably misread the post after I replied, but I liked the gif, so kept it. I thought you meant you were just playing (slowly) without updating the game, not that you took a break. :) Taking a break from a massive game isn't shocking.

Eusis

I realized I probably misread the post after I replied, but I liked the gif, so kept it. I thought you meant you were just playing (slowly) without updating the game, not that you took a break. :) Taking a break from a massive game isn't shocking.
Yeah, I looked at it and thought "wait, he didn't update until NOW?" Which can be believable too if you just put it down for a full year, but if he was on 1.0 with new patches put that'd be insane.

mauaus

I want to level up from 38 to 39 fast to wear my viper armor and sword, any quick way to do it? I dont have many high level quests... just a couple lvl 33 /32

I want to level up from 38 to 39 fast to wear my viper armor and sword, any quick way to do it? I dont have many high level quests... just a couple lvl 33 /32
Hearts of stones adds some giant spiders on the map you can fight, meditate for an hour, and fight them again. They give 50ish experience each. Biggest issue is they hit hard and hang out together so be careful.

Someone on the last page posted the spot on the map

Coreda

Hearts of stones adds some giant spiders on the map you can fight, meditate for an hour, and fight them again. They give 50ish experience each. Biggest issue is they hit hard and hang out together so be careful.

Didn't realize they gave such a lot of XP. Annoying bunch though, so hard to get close to :p

Didn't realize they gave such a lot of XP. Annoying bunch though, so hard to get close to :p

there's little trick to fight them. All I can suggest is to use something to stun the one you're gonna hit, like Igni, and hit them three times with heavy attack and back off as they can only get hit 3 times at a time before they block off and hit you.

You could also try to counter but as you're rolling around trying to not get ganked on, it's fairly hard lol

Wow
I just realized my DPS is significantly lower after the Viper armor enchantment? Does the cat school techniques not apply? Something else relating to light armor?

Sai

Figured it would keep after doing the Levity enhancement. Guess not :/
Back to Feline armor
Wait, wait; you're using the Enchantment to have it act as light armor, and the ability's effects still aren't being applied?

Or, maybe it is, and your damage output is still lower because the Cat set has its own bonuses that the Viper set lacks.

Make sure you try taking off your armor, then trying it back on. I didn't get the heavy armor bonus from the Runesmith on a character until I did that. You should get the light armor ability bonus then, just not the Feline armor attack bonus of course.

Broank

Damn when did they nerf the Archgriffin decoction. :(

No wonder it seemed like I was having to hit monsters so much more. lol

Adry9

Will there be a preload for this? It comes out at 1AM in Europe, it would suck if they didn't let us download it in the afternoon at least.

Will there be a preload for this? It comes out at 1AM in Europe, it would suck if they didn't let us download it in the afternoon at least.

For Blood and Wine you mean? There's a dedicated Blood and Wine OT up now:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225387

Those who get to preload Blood and Wine (AFAIK):

• US PSN users who bought the full expansion pass
  • US PSN users who bought Blood and Wine separately
  • EU PSN users who bought Blood and Wine separately
  • XBOne users who bought Blood and Wine separately (I think)

Those who don't get to preload Blood and Wine (AFAIK):

• EU PSN users who bought the full expansion pass
  • PC users (I think)
  • XBOne users who bought the full expansion pass (I think)

The PSN user info above is definitely correct, but I'm not 100% on the other platforms, just going by what I've seen posted in the various threads.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

• PC users (I think)

The PSN user info above is definitely correct, but I'm not 100% on the other platforms, just going by what I've seen posted in the various threads.

that's seriously unfair. how come those who bought the expansion pass in EU or on Xbox don't get a preload? i probably won't get to play until wednesday now. i was hoping to preload today. oh well.

Adry9

• PC users (I think)

Ooops missed it. To be honest this is really unfair, specially after making platforms wait so everyone could get patches at the same time.

Something I don't think a lot of people realise in relation to Geralt, Ciri, Yen and Triss:
All three will outlive Ciri by a significant margin. Although she has incredible powers, she's just a human, and will age similarly to one, unlike Geralt, Yen or Triss. In other words, her parents are going to have to bury their child one day.

There's an epilogue in the latest book, Season of Storms,
set 100 years after the main story, that I think pretty much implies that Geralt is still alive. Considering that Jan Calveit takes the Nilfgaardian throne in 1301 after Moorvan Voorhis, and think it's safe to say that Ciri is dead by then too.

She saw her saviour bent over the dead monster, and with a knife rip something from its shell. He wiped off the blades of his swords and put them back in the sheathes on his back.

‘It’s a bad idea, to walk through the woods alone,’ her saviour said, stepping closer.

He threw back his hood, his white hair shone in the twilight of the forest. Nimue almost cried, involuntary, quickly closing her mouth. It can’t be, she thought, this is absolutely impossible. Perhaps I am dreaming. Nimue plucked up the courage.

‘This mare…’ in her excitement she had difficulty pronouncing her words. ‘This mare's name is Roach. Because that is what you name every horse. Because you are Geralt of Rivia. The Witcher, Geralt of Rivia.’

He looked at her for a long time. Silent. Nimue also remained silent, staring at the ground.

‘What is the year now?’

‘One thousand three hundred and…’ she lifted her surprised eyes. ‘One thousand three hundred and seventy-three after resurrection.‘

‘If that’s so,’ the white-haired man wiped his face with a gloved hand, ‘then Geralt of Rivia has been long dead. He died a hundred and five years ago. But I think he would be happy…
He would have been pleased that, after this hundred and five years, people still remember him. Remembered who he was. Bah, even remembered the name of his horse. Yes, I think he would be happy… If he could have known about it. Let’s go. I’ll walk you.’

‘The Witcher, Geralt is not dead!’ Nimue snapped. ‘He’s just gone, gone to the land of apple trees. But he’ll be back… be back, because of the legend.’

‘Legends. Fairy tales. Tales. Tales and legends. I could have guessed that Nimue from the Village of Vyrva was going to school at the island of Thanedd. You would not have made this crazy journey if not for legends and fairy tales, with which you grew up. But this is just a fairy tale, Nimue. Only a fairy tale. You’ve come too far from home, not to understand that.’

‘But…’ she hesitated. ‘But a hundred years… How is it possible to… How is it possible?’

‘Such questions,’ he interrupted her, still with a warm smile, ‘should not be asked by future adepts of Aretuza. A school where they teach that nothing is impossible. Because what is impossible today, may not be impossible tomorrow. This motto you’ll soon see above the entrance to the school, which will soon become your school. Godspeed, Nimue. Farewell.

'Here we part.’

‘But…’ she felt a sudden relief, and the words flow out of her like a river. ‘But I want to know… To learn more. About Yennefer. About Ciri. With that information I could finish your story. I’ve read it… I know the legend. I know everything. About the witchers. About Kaer Morhen. I even know all the names of the witcher signs. Please tell me…’

‘Here we part,’ he interrupted gently. ‘In front of you is your destination. In front of me a total different road. The story continues, the story never ends. And as for the signs… There is one that you don’t know. It's called crumple. Look at my hand.’

She looked up.

‘Illusion,’ she heard from very far away. ‘All an illusion.’

Something I don't think a lot of people realise in relation to Geralt, Ciri, Yen and Triss:
All three will outlive Ciri by a significant margin. Although she has incredible powers, she's just a human, and will age similarly to one, unlike Geralt, Yen or Triss. In other words, her parents are going to have to bury their child one day.

There's an epilogue in the latest book, Season of Storms,
set 100 years after the main story, that I think pretty much implies that Geralt is still alive. Considering that Jan Calveit takes the Nilfgaardian throne in 1301 after Moorvan Voorhis, and think it's safe to say that Ciri is dead by then too.
I have no knowledge of the books... but
isn't Ciri also a Source? Shouldn't that confer long life, as with the other Sorceresses?

TheKeyPit

Banned
i thought xbox wasn't to get a preload? are you in the US by any chance?

If you purchased the expansion on its own(without the expansion pass) you got the pre-load a couple of days ago.
Expansion pass owners got the pre-load a couple of minutes ago.

I'm located in germany, but my console is set to US.

Coreda

Had no idea the (HoS spoilers)
Iris steel sword
was so OP, it's hilarious. Had it in my stash for a while since it wasn't really my style but decided to take it out for a spin.

For the first time ever defeated an entire group of Novigrad guards (level 54) in the same time it would take encountering bandits just by using the
sword's auto power-up charge
and without resorting to tricks :O Add Quen into the mix and Geralt's an unstoppable force, even before adding any upgrades.

---

Also tested all the greater runestones with the Viper Venomous silver sword against a level 40 griffin to see which may be better. The short of it is poison/bleeding effects are comparable, taking a good percentage of HP over a few seconds, but the inherent poison effect of the sword pretty much gets applied no matter which other runes are added so it's the natural choice. Bleeding+Poison and Burning+Poisoning seems to stack but I've also read archgriffins are immune to fire so who knows.

On the other hand taking into consideration the insectoids and environment seen in the Blood & Wine screenshots it seems likely a number of enemies in the expansion will have a level of poison immunity. The bleeding and burning runestones seem like the better choice but seeing as I always carry the Harpy silver sword (20% chance to cause bleeding) I'll either pick burning or perhaps make it the dedicated 'poison' sword.

The freezing and stun runestones had no effect on the griffin, and the armor piercing was of little use seeing as the inherent poison damage had a far greater effect.

I have no knowledge of the books... but
isn't Ciri also a Source? Shouldn't that confer long life, as with the other Sorceresses?

If I recall correctly, a source and a mage are two different things. I might be remembering this incorrectly though.

Mages are able to use magic by harnessing "The Power". This is a natural force that exists everywhere, and within everything, made up of the four elements, but is stronger in certain places and people. Mages often need to cast more powerful spells in these Places of Power, like Freya's Garden in TW3. Not everyone can learn to be a mage, as it requires certain innate ability.

Sources are descendants of certain elven bloodlines, and have a great natural affinity for magic. This is why they can learn to time travel, but normal mages can't. The descendants of Lara Dorren are considering the most power and unique. Sources can learn to be mages, but mages can't become sources, if that makes sense. Just because someone is a source, doesn't mean that they'll live longer. They still need to learn how to control and master magic.

Some cases:
Pavetta (Ciri's mother) aged normally and 'drowned' at sea. Emhyr totally didn't push her overboard.
Alvin / Jacques de Aldersberg also aged pretty normally, and got his ass slayed by Geralt regardless of his powers.

Auctopus

Any ideas as to why Superior Wolven Armor isn't coming up in the crafting menu at the Heirarch square armorsmith?

I have the diagram and I just crafted boots, gauntlets and trousers for him but for some reason the Armor doesn't show up? I can see it in my Crafting menu but not his.

Sober

Huh, so I loaded by save after the new UI patch.

I'm 2000/2000 xp for level 38? Do I just need a point to push myself over or do I need to NG+ to go higher?

Huh, so I loaded by save after the new UI patch.

I'm 2000/2000 xp for level 38? Do I just need a point to push myself over or do I need to NG+ to go higher?

just kill something, I grinded to 39 yesterday, had 2000/2000 on 39 right now, killed some low level bandits and I'm now at 40.

abbyabs

Any news on the level recommendation for Blood & whine? I would like to carry on with my current Gerald I'm up to level 40 atm.

Edit: Never mind it seems you need to be level 35 does anyone if i use make a new character option will it register my choices made in the game?

Dineren

Banned
So it is actually possible to fail the gwent card collection quest? I thought it wasn't since the quest never failed for me and there always seemed to be an alternative way to get cards when someone with a unique card left, but after installing the patch the Gwent quest is now failed.

Not that it really matters since I didn't plan on finishing the quest anyway.

So it is actually possible to fail the gwent card collection quest? I thought it wasn't since the quest never failed for me and there always seemed to be an alternative way to get cards when someone with a unique card left, but after installing the patch the Gwent quest is now failed.

Not that it really matters since I didn't plan on finishing the quest anyway.
I had a skim read of the patch notes earlier and I believe it fails if you missed one of the cards at the party you attend with Triss.

jaekeem

downloaded the latest patch

am I nuts or does the game look and run better?

definitely seems that way to me

getting like 70-80 frames consistently with everything mxed out@1080 and rain pouring, while hunting skellige for treasures on a 980ti

water looks better

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It's truly mind boggling to me the amount of love CDPR has poured into this game, it's improvement and constant evolution with patches and DLC... to the point were I can't even fathom how amazing Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be.

This game is a love letter to anyone who likes RPGs that even on my 3rd playthrough, continues to show me new things, lore bits and story elements... amazing stuff.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Two quick questions since I forgot from a year ago..

1. What's the alternative movement option do?

2. I want to select the choices after the prologue so do I select on or off in regards to the "simulate the witcher 2" save question?

Thanks.

Red Hood

Banned
This is a very subjective question and I don't think there is any "fix" for it, but does anyone else feel like the FPS "feels" lower when playing with KB+M than a controller? Looking at the MSI Afterburner the FPS is exactly the same using both controls, yet it feels smoother with a controller. I've played hundreds of hours on KB+M - which I prefer - so I'm not complaining, it's not even a minor annoyance, but I thought I'd ask.

Respect

Having a lot of trouble finding green mold all of a sudden, no herbalists I talk to have it (Gremist, the other druid by Gremist, gnome outside of Novigrad and a few others), been checking some caves and can't seem to locate any there either.

Any tips on where to pick some up?

Sai

1. What's the alternative movement option do?
Makes moving around a bit more immediate and responsive. I stick with the standard, though.

2. I want to select the choices after the prologue so do I select on or off in regards to the "simulate the witcher 2" save question?
On.

Having a lot of trouble finding green mold all of a sudden, no herbalists I talk to have it (Gremist, the other druid by Gremist, gnome outside of Novigrad and a few others), been checking some caves and can't seem to locate any there either.

Any tips on where to pick some up?
If I remember correctly, it's found in or around water.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Going through Hearts of Stone before I start Blood and Wine, question related to HoS...

I've bought the diagrams for the Viper Armor, but no armorer I come across appears to 'recognize' me having bought the plans for me to see them in my crafting screen Is there something I'm missing, here?

On the latest patch, in case that matters. I could be missing something obvious, been a while since I've played, lol.

edit: Lmao, forgot that it was the dwarf's wife, had spoken to him.

Oops.

Top Bottom