• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Balphon

Wrong thread.

EDIT: But so long as I'm here, that bit regarding the mountaintop puzzle seems too subtle even for this game's standards.

sn00zer

Nqh69tI.jpg

I did it!! :D (
The Challenge
) Must have taken me 50+ tries. But I'm glad that I did the whole final bit without taking a hint.

Do the
weird room pyramid puzzles
each count as one puzzle towards the count?

I would appreciate just a "yes" or "no" answer to this question (since I am avoiding spoilers!)

Do I need to find all the black pillar puzzles to complete the game with the true ending?

does anything happen if you do?

Completing all the environment puzzles on a pillar turns it white and I believe the pillars are tied to the water fountains on the lake which causes them to shoot water higher when completed. Nothing else has been found beyond that, afaik.

FerranMG

They are spoiler tagged, but I think those don't work on mobile. Sorry, I'll change them to links and hopefully the person who quoted me can edit their post as well.

Oh, never noticed spoiler tagged images don't work on mobile.
They were indeed spoiler tagged, but thanks for changing them to links. That was one of the puzzles that defined The Witness for me, it would suck to have it spoiled. :)

Najaf

Several puzzles I have done appear to lead to areas and unlock doors to places I've already been, but have accessed through a different path. When I encounter these loops such as
in the maze garden area which leads to the tower (which I've already lit the beacon), but also where the walk on floor pressure plates are, both of which lead to the same place
is there a reason to solve the ones that lead to where I can already access? One of them has me stumped but I don't really see the need to hit my head against it when it leads somewhere I already can get to.

Several puzzles I have done appear to lead to areas and unlock doors to places I've already been, but have accessed through a different path. When I encounter these loops such as
in the maze garden area which leads to the tower (which I've already lit the beacon), but also where the walk on floor pressure plates are, both of which lead to the same place
is there a reason to solve the ones that lead to where I can already access? One of them has me stumped but I don't really see the need to hit my head against it when it leads somewhere I already can get to.

Well, the more you play the more you'll want to get from place to place faster. That's really the reason to open up everything.

Is there any advantage to starting a new game after "finishing" the game for the first time or should I continue on my last save (437+93) before the end to do remaining stuff?

GhaleonEB

The puzzle that finally did me in was the (mountain)
six-part panel with different puzzles that all use the same solution. Can't crack panel #5, after hours of diagramming.
It's okay though, I've progressed far enough for me to feel satisfied with what I got out of it. I'm moving on to other games, but will revisit The Witness every now and then to see if I can inch forward.

Crispy75

Is there any advantage to starting a new game after "finishing" the game for the first time or should I continue on my last save (437+93) before the end to do remaining stuff?

Your old save will still be there to reload, but it's well worth your time to at least wander round the starting area with fresh eyes.

Okay, so a friend and I banged our heads against this puzzle for a while the other night and now I "solved" it within minutes of sitting down to play. Unfortunately I did it by just absentmindedly drawing a few lines, so I don't really know what the actual solution is.

This is the puzzle.

I feel like I have completely misunderstood the rules for this set of puzzles...
I figured that the blue blocks were used to subtract the yellow blocks from the panel and that this one was asking me to subtract four squares in that shape. Am I meant to split up the blue blocks and just put them wherever I want? I don't really understand why that's the solution at all.

Okay, so a friend and I banged our heads against this puzzle for a while the other night and now I "solved" it within minutes of sitting down to play. Unfortunately I did it by just absentmindedly drawing a few lines, so I don't really know what the actual solution is.

When several yellow blocks form a bigger shape you can move them around as much as you want to within that shape as long as the resulting shape covers the blocks involved if that makes any sense. Imagine that the two blocks at the bottom swap places.

When several yellow blocks form a bigger shape you can move them around as much as you want to within that shape as long as the resulting shape covers the blocks involved if that makes any sense. Imagine that the two blocks at the bottom swap places.

Yep, I just got it after messing with the puzzle in photoshop for a bit. However, what I don't really understand is
if the blue blocks are subtracting that bottom middle part, then why does the solution include that entire bottom row? In all the previous blue block puzzles the ones that were subtracted were always excluded from the solution.

Edit: Wait, I got it!
It's removing four and leaving two, so it makes a regular line of blocks on that bottom row.

GhaleonEB

Yep, I just got it after messing with the puzzle in photoshop for a bit. However, what I don't really understand is
if the blue blocks are subtracting that bottom middle part, then why does the solution include that entire bottom row? In all the previous blue block puzzles the ones that were subtracted were always excluded from the solution.

Edit: Wait, I got it!
It's removing four and leaving two, so it makes a regular line of blocks on that bottom row.

Yup, that's it.

six-part panel with different puzzles that all use the same solution. Can't crack panel #5, after hours of diagramming.
It's okay though, I've progressed far enough for me to feel satisfied with what I got out of it. I'm moving on to other games, but will revisit The Witness every now and then to see if I can inch forward.

For the future, a small hint based on the trouble I also had with that puzzle:
Be sure you're only applying the necessary rules
. After I got finished feeling dumb, I decided that I really like that puzzle set a bunch.

Mindlog

Did you already do the obvious and just
put all the pieces on one panel?
You can do it. I know you can.
oh my god i fucking finally DID IT

i quit videogames forever. i have peaked. going out on top
Congratulations =]

Blizzard

Banned
You missed out on a cool challenge, one of the neatest areas in the game, and a better ending, so I hope you come back and make it through it some day. :)

*edit* Nevermind, you didn't get the first crappy ending yet. So you have TWO endings ahead, and a completely new puzzle type. :p

(Please let me know if this is too spoilery -- I think it's general enough?)

Is there a supercut of all of the end-of-game videos in The Witness? I don't especially feel like returning to the game, but I do feel like feeling as if I had.

ampere

That one was tough. I found it helped to just stop playing when I got stumped and come back another day. Gets easy to get stuck in the same mindset sometimes

Chris R

Is there a full list of the puzzles and their locations? Not the +s, just the regular ones. Trying to get 100% of them done, but missing a few still it seems.

Syn23

A couple of questions guys:
Have they released a patch that address the motion sickness on PS4?
Has Blow ever commented on a retail version after the old statement that said "...it looks like if there is a retail release, it won't happen until a little bit after the digital release"?

GhaleonEB

Did you already do the obvious and just
put all the pieces on one panel?

Yes. The trick with that is
there are different pieces that stack on the same location across the different panels. IIRC one of them has three icons on the same space, when you map them all to the same location. It made the combined map very complex. Couldn't crack it.

I don't understand this one at all... In fact, I don't really get how any of the puzzles in this row work. I "solved" the third one by just
tracing one of the shapes
and now I'm drawing all over it in photoshop trying to figure it out.

Fake edit: I think I figured it out!

This time I'm completely removing the yellow shapes, so the line in the first two can pretty much go anywhere as long as it includes all the coloured blocks. For the third one I'm outlining the L-shaped block and then erasing the square one, so once the L-shaped block has been traced that line can go a few different ways as long as all the blues are included.

The last one is stumping me though.
I have enough blue blocks to remove all of the yellow blocks, but I can't make it to the end without one of the blues being left out.

J-Skee

So, LTTP... just got the
Symmetry
trophy. Couldn't figure those
blue line puzzles
for the life of me earlier today. Just went back to it a couple minutes ago & realized that
they mirrored the yellow line puzzles across from them. And the last one was flipped upside down. I had to write that shit down on paper.
That might not mean anything to alot of people, but that was something to me.

Haven't browsed this thread yet since I was kind of "late" to the party with this. I just finished the main game with what I believe to be every puzzle solved, minus the "challenge" which I only learned about after the fact.

I was able to activate 8 of the 11 lasers without any help. A puzzle in the Town, Monastery, and Autumn Tree area's broke me though haha. I also had no idea whatsoever how to solve the puzzle on the ship or on the one in the middle of the outside of the mountain. But I figure only needing help on a handful of puzzles for this game is not to shabby!

The game certainly loves to make you feel like a genius one moment, and a complete dumbass the next. It takes you to the highs of jubilation and the depths of frustration. Design wise, the game does a great, but not perfect job of teaching you the rules. There are times when I thought the game was a bit too obtuse, but it wasn't that bad because I could always just move on to a completely different set of puzzles.

The puzzle genre has always been one of my favorites, and this is one of the best I've played. In concept, the game sounds boring as fuck, and I guess in some ways, as a game, it is. Some gamers might even say that it's barely a video game. But it was like crack to me at times haha (or so I imagine). I beat it over the course of about a week and a half, putting in 12 hour days on it on two separate occasions.

On the stuff not related to gameplay... It looks beautiful, and the minimal sound/music works well. I loved the light ambient melodies of the endgame room. The audio logs were decent, but I thought the videos were VERY powerful. Many of them entertained ideas and philosophies that I've pondered before, said in very clear and bold ways. Even if the game as a whole doesn't "mean" anything, it is nice to have something that is open to interpret.

I'm not sure if I will tackle the final challenge, which I've read is, well, a pretty damn hard challenge (I would expect no less of the game). I've put in probably 40 hours or so into the game and I feel I've got my monies worth. This is definitely a GOTY candidate here. Perhaps I should finally get around to playing Braid.

mclem

Had a particularly tricky puzzle during the
time trial challenge
. It cost my friend and me the run of course... how long does it take you to solve it? Damn you Jonathan's algorithm!!!! :D

kdj4cgn.png

Around three minutes, I think. That's with planning it out on paper, which wouldn't be realistic in the
Challenge
environment - with planning on paper you can very quickly
place two specific lines around the 3
, which makes it considerably simpler to hit on the answer.

mclem

Just one thing that caught me out about that one that might help you:

There's two panels in the set that are of the form "Keep the white squares separate from the black ones". You mentioned earlier that you put everything on a single diagram in order to figure it out. Did you take into account the fact that you still need to keep the two separate panels regarding splitting the squares distinct? It's easy to fall into a trap when you're drawing them out as regarding all white squares as the same as one another, effectively trying to merge both those splitter panels into one. This is particularly true given that there's one square - I think in the top-left, but I might be misremembering - that is white on one such panel and black on the other.

AAK

Please don't tell me the answer to this, but can someone explain why these aren't solutions?

SfSFijg.jpg

WAlTo7U.jpg

Just like in the 2nd last puzzle, As long as I'm following the rules of cancelling a cell for every blue cell in the encapsulated shape it should work right? Is my understanding of the logic of this section wrong?

Bowlie

Banned
Yes, the rule is not exactly like that.

Rule:
for a blue square to cancel a yellow square, both need to be in the same region, not just "on the same side of the line". In your first SS, you have the larger region, a two-sized region containing three yellow squares, and a one-sized region containing one blue square.

Please don't tell me the answer to this, but can someone explain why these aren't solutions?

Just like in the 2nd last puzzle, As long as I'm following the rules of cancelling a cell for every blue cell in the encapsulated shape it should work right? Is my understanding of the logic of this section wrong?

The hollow blue squares only apply in the area they are closed in. In the first image, the puzzle on the left that you solved, look closely at the solid yellow shapes versus the hollow blue, and where they are located.

AAK

Yes, the rule is not exactly like that.

Rule:
for a blue square to cancel a yellow square, both need to be in the same region, not just "on the same side of the line". In your first SS, you have the larger region, a two-sized region containing three yellow squares, and a one-sized region containing one blue square.

Damn....
Since the puzzle structure forces me to include at least one of the blue hallow symbols I have to figure out a way to incorporate some of the yellow symbols while they're encapsulated into some shape together...
This seems impossible LOL. Gonna need to sleep on it. Thanks for the help.

Mindlog

Damn....
Since the puzzle structure forces me to include at least one of the blue hallow symbols I have to figure out a way to incorporate some of the yellow symbols while they're encapsulated into some shape together...
This seems impossible LOL. Gonna need to sleep on it. Thanks for the help.
If it helps.
You definitely understand the puzzle. Stop giving yourself such huge hints :]

Top Bottom