• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The world's 14 "coolest" nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
8. Japanese

We're clearly not talking about identically suited salarymen who obliterate the humiliation of their day jobs with drunken karaoke impersonations of Elvis at his sweaty best.
Japan's torch of cool is defiantly held aloft by its shock-haired adolescents whose capricious embrace and manipulation of the freakiest aspects of modern consumerism, fashion and technology frequently dictate what the rest of the world will be wearing (we mean you, Lady Gaga) and doing with its thumbs.

Icon of cool: Former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi may have been the coolest-looking world leader ever, but former Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama is our choice for leading man. Forget teenagers, this man knows style, particularly when it comes to shirts.

Not so cool: Japan’s legacy of mass conformity and ageing population. The future is very gray.

The Japanese? Those sandal wearing goldfish tenders?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
NYC7349.jpg

The Japanese are pretty cool.

black_13

Banned
Where The fucks CANADA?????????????? Always flying under the radar as usual.

We got beaches, we got jungles, we got icelands, we got free healthcare, we got two official languages, we got bagged milk, we got beavers, we got bacon and all that stuff and more!

Jimothy

Why isn't USA on this list? Kinda ridiculous since nearly all of our movies and pop culture are seen across the entire world.

Foreigners are lucky. They get all of our bitchin' culture, and as a bonus get universal healthcare. :(

We got beaches, we got jungles, we got icelands, we got free healthcare, we got two official languages, we got bagged milk, we got beavers, we got bacon and all that stuff and more!

You guys got Justin Bieber! That makes it -100 from the list..

Jimrpg

I'm from Australia, and while a lot of what they said is true, Australians can also be racist arseholes so I don't know how "cool" we really are.

Also, why no Canadians? They seem like very cool people from my interactions.

They are unfortunately racist because there is a white supremist culture developed from watching only american stuff, while trying hard to promote a multicultural society. If you live in Greece, you watch greek, chinese watch chinese. But everyone here is from another country and we're watching american/english or australian stuff. When you watch movies and tv and read magazines that are just full of white celebrities and sport stars what are all the chinese, indian, mongolian, japanese, korean, middle eastern, african cultures going to feel. That and basically people are not getting smarter in general.

And oh we live so far from all the other countries except for asian countries there's a massive feeling of negativity over being swamped by asian people. Sure eat at all the asian shops, but treat them different. Thanks a lot.

Coolest people? Koreans (ridiculously hot celebs), Japanese (never fails to amaze me), Iceland (least gender discriminate country according to official reports), Dutch (amazing fries), Belgians (amazing chocs, fries, waffles), Germans... (amazing beer and beer festival) based on the countries i've been to. If I was building a new country - thats how I would go about it.

America is number 1 for setting major cultural trends in the last 50 years. It is the obvious number 1. UK/France/Italy/Japan should follow.

Oh, Canada *pinches cheek*

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
What a terrible list.

I'm from Australia, and while a lot of what they said is true, Australians can also be racist arseholes so I don't know how "cool" we really are.

Also, why no Canadians? They seem like very cool people from my interactions.

Cause no other country on the list is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wales is home to the Welsh and you can't say that about any of those countries. In conclusion they are not cool.

Acheron

Banned
Wales is home to the Welsh and you can't say that about any of those countries. In conclusion they are not cool.

Aren't the Welsh just the original inhabitants of England who ran as far as possible from continental invasions as possible? Doesn't sound too cool to me.

DiscoJer

The US and Australia should be at the top of the list because as far as I know, we're the only countries that make muscle cars.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Aren't the Welsh just the original inhabitants of England who ran as far as possible from continental invasions as possible? Doesn't sound too cool to me.

But they also film Doctor Who there. So that's the Welsh, the original English, Sheep, Rain and Doctor Who. Singapore has one kid who can program in six unknown language, four of which are probably the command based languages from RPG Maker 2k, 2k3, XP and VX.

SKINNER!

Banned
Canadian chicks are waaaay cooler than US chicks therefore Canada is cooler than the USA.

I ain't even kidding. come at me!

Jimrpg

Australians lazy?

Never heard that before. Laid back and easy going perhaps but never lazy.

below average australians are lazy - they won't lift a finger and they leave at 5pm on the dot.

above average australians are not lazy but they spend their life time working for the man and rather seem to enjoy this lifestyle. I think they feel there's no need to ever need anymore money than this. The $80k x2 people is easily more than enough to cover any holidays, private education for 2 kids for high school, go to the occasional footy match, go eat at nice restaurants. There's no need for them to fly first class or business class, they'll enjoy their toyota corolla, buying CDs, having barbecues around that their place.

SteveWD40

By their logic, Britain should be there simply because "where would America and Australia be without them sending their bible bashers and convicts away?"

Of course it's fucking stupid, what is "cool" and how do you define it? I have lived in Australia and spent time in the US, Italy, Greece, Spain, France, Poland, Holand and some other spots, none of the places / people seem "cooler" than anywhere else.

BunkHeadShaking.gif

jorma

is now taking requests

This is a good example of how to be seriously uncool. As already noted, that's a dutch kid. The dutch are cool and should be high up on that list, and up until now i thought canadians were too.. Maybe it was no more than right to leave them off the list? :p

By their logic, Britain should be there simply because "where would America and Australia be without them sending their bible bashers and convicts away?"

The UK should be there just because. Easily the coolest place south of the north pole. Oi!

This list stinks of being stupidly PC. Half the countries shouldnt even be anywhere near it IMO.
The only country that could compete with America for #1 is Brazil. People respect their soccer/football players, they have Carnival/big parties, a cool looking flag and the women have those amazing curves.
I wish Israel was rated at #1 on the list just to see the GAF rage :D

Slayven

List invalidated by USA not being number one. I mean people work so hard to imitate our pop and urban cultures we should tax as it export.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom