• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The world's 14 "coolest" nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_

Though I'm flattered that Belgium made the list, I can't really say that I agree with the rest of it and certainly not with the reasoning behind it. But hey, it's CNN, they might have a different view on things then a grim Dutch guy.

jorma

is now taking requests
List invalidated by USA not being number one. I mean people work so hard to imitate our pop and urban cultures we should tax as it export.

Complaining that you're not #1 is not cool mang, list redeemed!

US culture is just a "mass produced and watered down into the lowest common denominator" version of UK culture anyway. Profitable, but not cool.

MC Safety

US culture is just a "mass produced and watered down into the lowest common denominator" version of UK culture anyway. Profitable, but not cool.

Oh, stop. The United States gave you popular culture.

Pretty sure the writer of this list has never stepped inside any of these countries (well, definitely never in Australia). Basically a list of stereotypes.

Oppo

I'll tell you what is not cool: CNN being infected by these horrible People-magazine non-lists.

May I gently remind the GAF-reading public that this same entity recently declared that facial hair is "over". Forever.

Apoc29

Australia's only #11? I'm gonna take this all the way to the prime minister! Hey! Mr. Prime Minister!

72LUy.png

I've been to exactly half the places on that list. I don't think Singapore belongs there. It's an interesting place, but I wouldn't describe the culture as "cool".

mantidor

Not only is this article meaningless and completely inaccurate, based only on stereotypes, is also more than a year old.

The top answer would clearly be "Americans" if we're referring to the most imitated people on earth. And as much as I love Mongolians, they aren't exactly the coolest people now in the 21st century.

The Sopranos? When was this list written?

January 2011

I think I see what's going on here...fellow americans, we are being trolled by the number 5 spot. find out what country the OP is from, elect george bush again, and have him bomb the place, even if he's from the U.S. After that lets go surfing! Hang 10 dudes! Party on cowabunga

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
6. Koreans

Ever ready to drink all comers under the table with never-ending rounds of soju-whiskey bombs -- it’s a personal affront in Seoul if you don’t throw down “one shot!” on the spot -- Koreans may be the best drinking buddies in the world. As reigning leaders of nearly all current Asian pop culture trends -- in music, fashion, film, Koreans dominate -- they’ve earned the right to brag a little when that “one shot!” turns into ten or twenty.

Icon of cool: Park Chan-wook. The film director’s twisted visions freak out fellow countrymen, but have achieved cult status among emo film majors worldwide.

Not so cool: Kimchi breath.

Lol... What?

artist

Banned
Why would Canada be on the list?

They're the lame younger brother constantly trying to riff the style of their cool older brother. And when they do go on their own path they come up with milk in bags.
Canada ran over your proverbial dog confirmed.

Lol, do Brits actually believe this?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hahaha, oh Canadians, you're enjoyable people but not nearly edgy enough to be considered for a "coolest" list.

Brazil seems pretty ideal for number one, can't argue that at all.

Rest of the list is garbage. Especially Jamaica, Botswana, China, Australia.

Though I'm flattered that Belgium made the list, I can't really say that I agree with the rest of it and certainly not with the reasoning behind it. But hey, it's CNN, they might have a different view on things then a grim Dutch guy.

Grim dutch guy? Who?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Come on.

Everyone in this thread knows who's really supposed to be at number one.

I don't even have to say it. You're already mad because you're thinking it.

And you know why you're thinking it? Because it's true.

akira28

What is this list, from 2006 or something?

Lol, do Brits actually believe this?

Some must. It's either that or go mad and declare bitter war. I say let them have it.
(Lets just ignore shitty broadcast tv retreads of British shows though. I make no excuses for those, and boycott the primary offenders.)

Lol... What?

I've heard this before. I live in Korea and it seems like they sell Korean soap operas wholesale to the Chinese, and Korean male pop singers by the ton to the Japanese. and I don't see many contemporary pop culture references in Korea from China or Japan?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard this before. I live in Korea and it seems like they sell Korean soap operas wholesale to the Chinese, and Korean male pop singers by the ton to the Japanese. and I don't see many contemporary pop culture references in Korea from China or Japan?

The "Korean Wave" is surprisingly unpopular in Japan despite how much it gets pushed. Winter Sonata and Bae Yong Jun were pretty popular many years ago, particularly amongst older women. But everything since then, with maybe the exception of KARA, hasn't really taken off. Really, everything about it feels so forced. Like they got together as a country and decided to sell a manufactured pop culture.

Also, is it really surprising that not a whole lot of Japanese pop culture takes off in Korea when it's a country that taught (still teaches?) it's children to hate Japan? I mean, they outright banned Japanese cultural products until 1998.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom