• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 Store is closing next year

R6Rider

Gold Member
Perhaps a title change is in order; to add that re-downloads and online still work?

Because relying on folks to read the linked article in the OP seems to be a tall order.
Ironic considering you quoted a joke from earlier in a serious manner.

Ozriel

M$FT
Ironic considering you quoted a joke from earlier in a serious manner.

Season 9 Ok GIF by The Office

FUBARx89

PS3 store will inevitably get closed down. Will it be in 2025 or 2030? It depends how vocal people are about today's news. The fact that they backpedaled the first time guarantees the second time people will be way less vocal about it.

Eventually it will aye, but they'll always have the massive pushback cause it's a full generation of games just gone (Don't see PS premium or whatever, the streaming is shit). Whereas MS have BC for that gen so have more leeway with it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I took out my 360 for the first time in over a decade this week to play MvC2, and it was a gigantic pain in the ass.

After about an hour of trying to find and reactivate the now-delisted game, my 360 randomly decided to die, just as I got things sorted.

So it took another two hours for me to transfer my account and stuff over to a spare 360, set up all the software, update, and get everything working.

That era of DRM is super weird, and I bet a majority of casual 360 owners will simply just never bother jumping through hoops to be able to access all of their old content. It’s a good time to be a physical media collector, I guess.

Tsaki

Eventually it will aye, but they'll always have the massive pushback cause it's a full generation of games just gone (Don't see PS premium or whatever, the streaming is shit). Whereas MS have BC for that gen so have more leeway with it.
They have some BC for that gen. 25% of it. And many of the PS3 games have PS4 versions so that in a way lessens the impact. Every year that passes the percentage of people that care about anything PS3 related shrinks, be it kids growing up, becoming part of the gamer demographic and having a say in what they play or adults that just don't care about the 7th generation of consoles and its games anymore.
Like I said if people don't make a "massive pushback" for 75% of the 360 catalog, why would they make one for 95% of the PS3 that will close years later?

I bet John and DF will be for the SEGA Channel to be able to get back online and to push Nintendo to get Satellaview service back up.

cireza

Some people don't even think before they type. They was some great games on XBLA like you said and gamers have years to buy them. But it is time to move on and drop the 360 IMO
I still need a modern port of Outrun 2 / CtoC to get rid off my PS3 as far as I am concerned. After Burner Climax would be nice as well.

And then yes, I can definitely move on from PS360.

Last edited:
How does that impact the offerings on their default storefront? Does that mean content available on the curent storefront will be made not purchaseable?

Edit: It states in the article that backwards compatible Xbox 360 titles on modern storefront will still be available.

Last edited:

TronNerd82

My hope is that somebody will have some kind of hacked version of the Xbox 360 Store where people with softmodded Xbox's can still get all the games, similar to the 3DS and hShop.

CaptainABAB

I just wish some of the non-BC 360 games actually went on sale.

I'm hoping they have some type of sale before they close it down.

DaGwaphics

7yrs past the end of support for the console is relatively good (8 years by the time this takes effect). At least those who bought those final units had a good run with them, unlike those unfortunate DS users that only got a couple years. I'll have to look down the list of BC games and see if there is anything I'm missing that I might want to get, there are some BC titles that only appear on the 360 store (at least there were some of those previously).

Pretty much still have everything I bought downloaded already thankfully, Geometry Wars, Clash of Heroes, etc... all ready to go. Wish I had physical discs for them though. I loved XBLA.

DaGwaphics

Pretty much still have everything I bought downloaded already thankfully, Geometry Wars, Clash of Heroes, etc... all ready to go. Wish I had physical discs for them though. I loved XBLA.

Re-downloading software linked to your account shouldn't be a problem, you just won't be able to make additional purchases.

Re-downloading software linked to your account shouldn't be a problem, you just won't be able to make additional purchases.
I can't imagine they will keep that option up forever though. But I never did press the hard drive too much on 360 so I'm in luck to not have to test it out. Good to know though!

xrnzaaas

I've already bought quite a lot of BC 360 games (both digital & retail), I wish there were more of them though. It's especially annoying when not all games from the same series can be played. Like for instance only Condemned 1 and Kane & Lynch 2 are backwards compatible.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
boxedarcade_1200x1200.jpg
Having ps3 and 360 stores up and running is interesting it speaks to creators tending to old hardware. I was involved with the 360, rrod out of the box (arcade bundle above) even if they take down the store you could use it all the time as a dvd player.

coffinbirth

There was for a time but there's not any more I think. Orange Box, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 were, and Prince of Persia 1 was at a point as well, but they've all been delisted in the past year.

I do wonder though, how exactly they'll be able to shut down the store servers and still fulfill the customers ability to re-download their games on 360. I think currently it will essentially mean that, once the store is offline, you wont be able to redownload the digital 360 games you own onto your 360.

I have for example, the backwards compatible Halo 1 digitally through the 360 and that was taken off the store, so I can't redownload it if I delete it or lose it off my
That's not how it works.

You re-download your purchased content via your Account/Download History...not the store.

Labadal

Xbox 360 online store had some real goodies.

3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
Band of Bugs
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
Bejeweled 3
Braid
Castle Crashers
Costume Quest
Deathspank
Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Fable
Guardian Heroes
Hexic HD
Ilomilo
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Mark of the Ninja
Mars: War Logs
N+
Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds
Portal: Still Alive
Psychonauts
Puzzle Quest 2
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Sensible World of Soccer
Shadow Complex
Skulls of the Shogun
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Switchball
Track & Field
Trine 2

Fun times were had.

Power Pro

Microsoft has been really bad at preservation, contrary to what they like to tell people. There are soooo many games that are backward compatible on One/Series that are constantly getting delisted from purchase. It's like, wtf. You go through the effort of making them playable, then you don't even have them purchasable on the store anymore. I've added a bunch of games on my wishlist that just now show up as "not available for purchase"

Keeping the servers live for redownloads sure. Payment processing and support, and game licensing etc is not a “set it and forget it” process though
They're already running those for this generation.
Again how many copies is Steam selling for Red Alert 3? And they're not booting old stuff from their stores.

DaGwaphics

Again how many copies is Steam selling for Red Alert 3? And they're not booting old stuff from their stores.

He's talking about the technology itself. You would reach a point where the old hardware isn't even capable of running the minimum level of cryptography required by the payment processors. I have no idea if that is an issue now or not, but it would eventually happen. For the most part an Windows XP machine is basically non functional for eCommerce at this point because of TLS errors, etc.

Steam is a store not associated with a particular hardware platform. Plus the licensing on console games is probably more convoluted, are they allowed to continue running the web based marketplace if the console store is shutdown, etc.

Bry0

Steam isn’t running multiple storefronts for different generations of devices. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Beechos

So is this the store is gone and you can't buy new digital games or you won't be able to redownload your digital library either on a 360?

Drew1440

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Only store shuts down.
Your digital purchases will live on 360 and every xbox afterwards.
But your physical purchases might be locked out if next consoles don't have disc drive. ps5 slim already killing physical over there by defaulting to digital slim with drive presumably sold separately

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Only store shuts down.
Your digital purchases will live on 360 and every xbox afterwards.
But your physical purchases might be locked out if next consoles don't have disc drive. ps5 slim already killing physical over there by defaulting to digital slim with drive presumably sold separately
While you're right on the gist of what you're saying, I still have to ask: how exactly will the PS5 Slim kill physical?
Isn't the optional disc drive more of a fusion of the disc and digital variant of the console? It would only be killing if a successor console officially was Digital only, no disc drive, not even optionally connectable with a cable.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
While you're right on the gist of what you're saying, I still have to ask: how exactly will the PS5 Slim kill physical?
Isn't the optional disc drive more of a fusion of the disc and digital variant of the console? It would only be killing if a successor console officially was Digital only, no disc drive, not even optionally connectable with a cable.
Presumably (we don't know) they will only be selling 1 console sku without the disc drive. Making the disc drive optional purchase.
This kills the physical gaming because even less people will get it... so then even less publishers will release physical releases. And then ps6 will not have disc drive at all.

DaGwaphics

Moving to a system where the drive is not included by default but is an option would be potentially very damaging to the health physical releases, IMO. Though I don't think it would bring about anything that isn't already in motion anyway, but it would likely escalate the coming changes.

As games start to have less physical sales with most sales coming from digital there is less incentive for publishers to front the cost of getting the disks manufactured. The potential for the physical copies to devalue the game itself (either via overstock and discounts or via the used market) just clouds things further. Fewer people with a disk drive, meaning fewer potential customers, would make it easier for manufacturers to either skip the physical release all together or ship in diminutive quantities.

Top Bottom