• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft removes references of New Xbox Hardware from Blogpost

MarkMe2525

There’s a lot going on in the background right now, which is why the messaging is changing each day.
I would agree that there is always a lot going on in the background for these companies. The idea that the message is changing daily is obviously hyperbole (which is fine), but I would like to point out the fact that most of the messaging you are referring to is not from MS, but from unverified reports or legal cases which are not meant to be used as public roadmaps of the gaming division.

Edit: I should have said "not from MS's PR department"

Last edited:

Elios83

Microsoft's messaging is so messy that at this point everyone can speculate whatever they want and they might still be right :pie_roffles:

Personally I expect them to introduce their adorably digital XSX model this holiday, it will be designed to lower their manufacturing costs and it will allow them to make deals during the next holiday season without creating a financial blackhole.
I also believe they could use TGA again to tease something for the future, like they did with Project Scorpio.

The issue is always the same though, they can introduce new hardware whenever they want, but if their business strategies are not focused on selling hardware the result will always be the same, it will be an option to play their games,it will sell as such (poorly) and that's all.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
SegaBox.jpg

Gojiira

The official twitter account literally still says "including more console and controller options for you this holiday."

Anyway, as funny as the past couple weeks have been I am getting bored with it all. Looking forward to learning more about Sea of Thieves though.

Jesus Christ how incompetent can they get? actually scratch that, they keep proving it over and over..

Brucey

No more hardware because everything will be streamed from the cloud instead, Introducing the Series D (Dongle).
The issue they have there is MS doesn't have a lightweight OS to run on that thumb stick, they mention that in their leaked release. They can't cram Windows on there.

Kacho

The desire GAF has for them to stop making hardware that can potentially compete with PlayStation is astonishing
Does it matter? We know that they are committed to releasing one more console after the Series X, so we’re looking at another 10+ years of “competition” in that space.

I’d say the biggest concern is how well Xbox sells in the coming months. If consumers don’t have interest in hardware and it stops selling then third party support will slowly dry up.

Brucey

Microsoft's messaging is so messy that at this point everyone can speculate whatever they want and they might still be right :pie_roffles:

Personally I expect them to introduce their adorably digital XSX model this holiday, it will be designed to lower their manufacturing costs and it will allow them to make deals during the next holiday season without creating a financial blackhole.
I also believe they could use TGA again to tease something for the future, like they did with Project Scorpio.

The issue is always the same though, they can introduce new hardware whenever they want, but if their business strategies are not focused on selling hardware the result will always be the same, it will be an option to play their games,it will sell as such (poorly) and that's all.
I'm sure things are already locked in for their new controller to launch mid year and 2tb digital series x for holiday 2024.

Killjoy-NL

They're essentially making a cheaper portable and a high priced "Steambox."

Nothing, and I mean nothing out of the Surface team is at a mainstream pricing model for high end hardware.

@HeisenbergFX4 is onto something.
It isn't exactly hard to be onto something when it was obvious for quite some time that if MS would start releasing their games on PS and Nintendo, any hardware they will release going forward will be pretty much DOA.

Many already said so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It isn't exactly hard to be onto something when it was obvious for quite some time that if MS would start releasing their games on PS and Nintendo, any hardware they will release going forward will be pretty much DOA.

Many already said so.
Which would be a pivot for a Steam Deck and Steambox running a lightweight version of WinOS that can also have PS PC games since it will run Steam. Game Pass as well.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Wasn't Starfield in development twice as long as rebirth?
And I would guess that rebirth will be cleaned up by the time it is out as long as Starfield has.
I have no idea. One is a remake and a sequel to a game that came out not too long ago. So I would assume that would make production easier for FF7Rebirth.

Then you have to also factor all the time Bethesda spent making Starfield a PS5 game, until they were acquired, lol.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Honestly, at this point it's more realistic to wait for native DualSense support on Xbox, than new Xbox hardware. Traditional consoles are dead for MS and you need to build a Super-Earth-sized echo-chamber to ignore the signs.

But there will be some sort of thin client for Xcloud nonetheless. That I'm sure off.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
While Xbox president Sarah Bond mentioned that 34 million Xbox Game Pass subscribers will have access to Diablo IV next month, the game won’t actually be available to all Game Pass subscribers. “The 34 million Game Pass membership number is accurate. Diablo IV is coming to Xbox Game Pass on March 28th, with the exception of the Xbox Game Pass Core catalog,”

This is nuts. So the 34 million GP subs aren't really all "true" GP subs. Got it! MS is weird.

ToadMan

The thing is that gamepass is the library and it works better for a service like cloud because you don't own the games and have to continually pay to have access to the library meaning reoccurring revenue to pay for running costs.

The problem then is that if one chooses to halt the sub, there is no stored investment. The ex subscriber just walks away.

So that's what I was getting at in terms of locking people in.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I don't know if they want to sell hardware anymore to be honest. They did nothing to sell Xbox Series X/S when Starfield launched. No special bundles, in my region at least, and no special Starfield Edition. They obviously didn't care to move hardware.

Scorpio was the Xbox One X, they didn't reveal that at the TGA did they? 🤔 Series X though.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The series X is significantly smaller than the PS5 yet it somehow runs cooler and is slightly more powerful.
It is also way more expensive with custom cooling and daughterboard. Plus due to die-size and freakish configuration of the motherboard it is also more problematic to scale the production of SX. It is also sucks at wireless (no Wi-Fi 6 is still a riddle).

PS5 is the way it is not becase Sony were cheap or lazy, but because Sony built a console that could be sold and produced by millions of units fairly quickly without bleeding too much money.

XXL

Another successful endeavour I’m sure

Snl Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live
This thing would be DOA (as in start with a burst, then die quickly)

Nintendo is just too dominant when it comes to handhelds and the Steam Deck has Steam.

I just don't see a world where it's successful, maybe I'm wrong.

It is also way more expensive with custom cooling and daughterboard. Plus due to die-size and freakish configuration of the motherboard it is also more problematic to scale the production of SX. It is also sucks at wireless (no Wi-Fi 6 is still a riddle).

PS5 is the way it is not becase Sony were cheap or lazy, but because Sony built a console that could be sold and produced by millions of units fairly quickly without bleeding too much money.
I agree with everything you just said. Also, the person I was responding to said they preferred PS5 hardware to series x hardware. If we were talking about which box is better for the company, then clearly PS5 ...but which is better for consumer? I'm gunna go with the box that cost more to make but is given to me for the same price as the box that was built to be as cost effective (cheap) as possible, weaker, hotter and substantially larger.

In summary, if you're telling me that MS puts more money into the production of their box and ends up with better thermals, size and power, WHY would I possibly go with Sony over MS making the next PS in this highly hypothetical and silly circumstance?

Nydius

There is zero doubt that there is some kind of civil war going on inside of MS regarding Xbox. The messaging changes daily.

It sure seems like it. It feels like we're watching a tug of war play out in real time between beleaguered Xbox/Microsoft Game Studios division heads trying to justify their decisions versus the rest of the Microsoft executive board and shareholders who are wondering why the Xbox division hasn't become better positioned after twenty-three years.

Top Bottom