• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft removes references of New Xbox Hardware from Blogpost

XXL

Microsoft removed the references to “more console and controller options for you this holiday” before the blog post was posted publicly. A post on X from the official Xbox account still references this promise of new hardware, though.
Update, February 21st 7:15PM ET: Article updated to note that references to new Xbox hardware was removed from Microsoft’s blog post before it was posted publicly.

DuBAZ6E.jpg

Darsxx82

This is the original quote in the podcast....

Sarah Bond: "We’ve got more to come. There’s some exciting stuff coming out in hardware that we’re going to share this holiday. We’re also invested in the next-generation roadmap."

And
P. Spencer to The Verge (after podcast): “I’m very proud of the work that the hardware team is doing, not only for this year, but also into the future,” says Spencer. “[We’re] really thinking about creating hardware that sells to gamers because of the unique aspects of the hardware. It’s kind of an unleashing of the creative capability of our hardware team that I’m really excited about.”
Perhaps that unique hardware is an Xbox handheld. “We see a lot of opportunity in different types of devices, and will share specifics on our future hardware plans as soon as we are ready,”
Actual blog
-And innovative and multi years hardware roadmap.

My bet is that there has been a communication error and they are "correcting" it (although the quote is still on X's account)

Sarah Bond and P. Spencer comes to indicate/implied that there will be news or announcements at the end of the year and not that new hardware will be launched at the end of the year as implied by the text of the Xbox account in X and contained in the pre-blog.

Mr Moose

And

Actual blog

My bet is that there has been a communication error and they are "correcting" it (although the quote is still on X's account)

Sarah Bond and P. Spencer comes to indicate/implied that there will be news or announcements at the end of the year and not that new hardware will be launched at the end of the year as implied by the text of the Xbox account in X and contained in the pre-blog.

Probably. Bond already fucked up with the 34 million thing.

Sony should license out the PS6 design and let Microsoft build a version of the hardware, like the 3DO. I am not crazy.

You were probably kidding but you know what? I think they could do something kind of like this for PS6. Hardware production prices aren't necessarily going down, and PlayStation is a platform that I'm sure is appealing to other electronics manufacturers.

Sony could do what SEGA did during the Saturn era and have select partners manufacture their own specialty PS6 systems with additional features (features not critical for gaming, but could add value in other areas). Those would probably be sold at a higher price than regular PS6 systems. Meanwhile I think the recent move with the detachable disc drive shows that other components of PlayStation systems can be decoupled from the main console and offered as an optional fit-to-form module. That way production costs for the main system stay low, and for those who want the extra (mainly non-essential) functions, they can buy the other modules and add them to the system.

OR, they can buy a 3P-manufactured PS6 from, say, Toshiba or Samsung, that has a lot, all, or even more of those modular functions built-in directly and would go for a premium over the basic PS6, but maybe cheaper still than if you got the basic PS6 & all of the modular components afterwards. I'm not fully versed on the long-term economics of that model, but it'd be something to consider. The key thing in all this being though, that the base specs of the PS6 itself are still handled directly by Sony & AMD, and the 3P manufactured variants can't do things like add extra RAM or change the APU (if they are electronics manufacturers, they likely would never want to do this, anyway).

diffusionx

Gold Member
You were probably kidding but you know what? I think they could do something kind of like this for PS6. Hardware production prices aren't necessarily going down, and PlayStation is a platform that I'm sure is appealing to other electronics manufacturers.

I'm kidding, but not really. MS is a software company. I don't think they want to be making consoles anymore. They can outsource all that work to Sony and release games for it. Colt Eastwood can have a MS branded console. It's not like Sony has never made a hardware format that they intended to be an industry standard, and licensed it out to other companies.

Last edited:

Raven117

The only think that matters is what is said on investor calls and internal documents. The rest is marketing.

(They are liable if the mislead investors).

So. Check 10ks, 8ks (filed with the SEC) and get in the calls.

I'm kidding, but not really. MS is a software company. I don't think they want to be making consoles anymore. They can outsource all that work to Sony and release games for it. Colt Eastwood can have a MS branded console. It's not like Sony has never made a hardware format that they intended to be an industry standard, and licensed it out to other companies.

Yeah it's the Microsoft part where I knew you were kidding. Personally I think it could be a decent idea to consider for Sony, but squarely with electronics manufacturers, not computer OEMs or companies like Microsoft, obviously.

Also yes, making consoles the way they have for so long, isn't something MS wants to do. I don't care how many fanboys keep trying to say otherwise, just look at the drop in sales and the amount they have to subsidize on all those systems (AND the manufacture/production of them). At smaller volumes of scale gaming hardware would be even more appealing to them, but selling that hardware at a fat profit margin from Day 1 would be even more appealing to Microsoft.

And, there's a very obvious way they get to doing that, but none of the diehards want to say it because they know what changes would come about in that actually happening.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Whats that?
While Xbox president Sarah Bond mentioned that 34 million Xbox Game Pass subscribers will have access to Diablo IV next month, the game won’t actually be available to all Game Pass subscribers. “The 34 million Game Pass membership number is accurate. Diablo IV is coming to Xbox Game Pass on March 28th, with the exception of the Xbox Game Pass Core catalog,”

XXL

And

Actual blog

I understand what you're saying, but their PR is worded to be intentionally vague.

For example - they keep mentioning being "invested in the hardware roadmap" in what you just posted. To be clear, this isn't a confirmation of anything, its just intentions.

Another example would be Starfield coming to PS5. During the podcast they never explicitly state its not coming to PS5, just that it is not part of the 4 games and in a follow up interview (with the Verge) he wouldn't confirm it wasn't coming when asked directly.

They just posted on Twitter yesterday that their biggest games will be coming to all platforms, a week or two after all of this took place.

It's all very vague statements that don't explicitly state anything and like this.... just causes confusion.

We'll see what happens, but in my opinion, all of this stuff isn't just nothing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I understand what you're saying, but their PR is worded to be intentionally vague.

For example - they keep mentioning being "invested in the hardware roadmap" in what you just posted. To be clear, this isn't a confirmation of anything, its just intentions.

Another example would be Starfield coming to PS5. During the podcast they never explicitly state its not coming to PS5, just that it is not part of the 4 games and in a follow up interview (with the Verge) he wouldn't confirm it wasn't coming when asked directly.

They just posted on Twitter yesterday that their biggest games will be coming to all platforms, a week or two after all of this took place.

It's all very vague statements that don't explicitly state anything and like this.... just causes confusion.

We'll see what happens, but in my opinion, all of this stuff isn't just nothing.
They never tweeted that their biggest games are coming to all platforms. They tweeted that the biggest games are multiplatfom.
Like you said vague as fuck, could just be an inopportune dig at exclusivity, could mean big games are coming to other consoles, could mean versions of their big games are coming to mobile, could just be a statement of fact (CoD, Fortnite etc) - could mean basically whatever they want it to mean retroactively.

Reactions: XXL

XXL

They never tweeted that their biggest games are coming to all platforms. They tweeted that the biggest games are multiplatfom.
Like you said vague as fuck, could just be an inopportune dig at exclusivity, could mean big games are coming to other consoles, could mean versions of their big games are coming to mobile, could just be a statement of fact (CoD, Fortnite etc) - could mean basically whatever they want it to mean retroactively.
Sorry, you're correct. Agreed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Its funny how people took that Tweet to mean for sure everything is going 3rd party and their Twitter confirmed it to Xbox still having the Tweet up about more console and control options coming this holiday but that one is a lie

Almost like the intern posting to the social media doesn't really have a clue what their plan is

XXL

The only think that matters is what is said on investor calls and internal documents. The rest is marketing.

(They are liable if the mislead investors).

So. Check 10ks, 8ks (filed with the SEC) and get in the calls.
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

Darsxx82

Probably. Bond already fucked up with the 34 million thing.
In defense of Sarah Bond in this case, it seems more like a mistake on the part of those responsible for marketing and PR. If it is an error, it is assumed that they will also correct the Twitter account where it is still preserved.

The words of Sarah Bond and Spencer do not imply the launch of new hardware at the end of the year, only new information or announcements regarding new hardware. But the quote from the Blog and the Twitter account claim the launch of a new console and controller this end of the year.

That is, the launch of new hardware is not in question in the correction, rather the launch date.

There is much more than just a vague statement. These are the words of P. Spencer to The Verge and other media.

“I’m very proud of the work that the hardware team is doing, not only for this year, but also into the future,” says Spencer. “[We’re] really thinking about creating hardware that sells to gamers because of the unique aspects of the hardware. It’s kind of an unleashing of the creative capability of our hardware team that I’m really excited about.”

Perhaps that unique hardware is an Xbox handheld. “We see a lot of opportunity in different types of devices, and will share specifics on our future hardware plans as soon as we are ready,”

Y en el actual blog

.innovative and multi years hardware roadmap.

I don't think vagueness in this case is compatible. There is no vagueness on the hardware issue.
-They are developing a new nextGen console
-They are going to announce new hardware this end of the year.

I'm sorry, but that's not even remotely true. That quote from the Xbox Twitter was taken out of context.

In that tweet he only talks about the industry's tendency towards multiplatformity and that it will be rare to see games (especially the big ones) being released on a single plataforma.

Of course there is nothing that resembles an Xbox official announcement that it is going to launch all the games on all platforms, even though that is possibly going to be the end.

I don't agree that there is vagueness in this matter, but I do agree that all the PR and MS messages are being something unworthy of the largest company in the world.

Last edited:

XXL

In defense of Sarah Bond in this case, it seems more like a mistake on the part of those responsible for marketing and PR. If it is an error, it is assumed that they will also correct the Twitter account where it is still preserved.

The words of Sarah Bond and Spencer do not imply the launch of new hardware at the end of the year, only new information or announcements regarding new hardware. But the quote from the Blog and the Twitter account claim the launch of a new console and controller this end of the year.

That is, the launch of new hardware is not in question in the correction, rather the launch date.

There is much more than just a vague statement. These are the words of P. Spencer to The Verge and other media.

Y en el actual blog

.innovative and multi years hardware roadmap.

I don't think vagueness in this case is compatible. There is no vagueness on the hardware issue.
-They are developing a new nextGen console
-They are going to announce new hardware this end of the year.

I'm sorry, but that's not even remotely true. That quote from the Xbox Twitter was taken out of context.

In that tweet he only talks about the industry's tendency towards multiplatformity and that it will be rare to see games (especially the big ones) being released on a single console.

Of course there is nothing that resembles an official announcement that it is going to launch all the games on all platforms, even though that is possibly going to be the end.

I don't agree that there is vagueness in this matter, but I do agree that all the PR and MS messages are being something unworthy of the largest company in the world.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Time will tell.

Although I did misquote the one tweet, I mentioned that in a post above yours.

Top Bottom