• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Series S Is an Indestructible Console, Capable of Surviving Even a Fire

coffinbirth

I don't think it's a stunt but Xbox News tweeting somebody elses tiktok and then an entire article trying to sell Series S on it is a little weird.

It's normal for most electronics to survive house fires unless the fire got really bad. They're built with fire retardant plastic and they need to be within regulation. household electronics are usually the cause of fires and their enclosure is built with flame retardant plastic to act as a barrier and contain a possible internal fire, because of this they also protect the internals from an external fire too. There isn't anything special in build quality.
Deluded is what I would call that.

Personally, I was surprised that the HDMI and power ports weren't warped and were actually usable. A friend of mine had a house fire and his PS4 Pro's ports were melted and warped shut.

Three

Deluded is what I would call that.

Personally, I was surprised that the HDMI and power ports weren't warped and were actually usable. A friend of mine had a house fire and his PS4 Pro's ports were melted and warped shut.
It's not deluded at all. You always hear of this stuff. It depends how bad the house fire was to warp metal components but you always hear of electronics in plastic casings surviving house fires and people turn it into some kind of miracle. The plastic is relatively good protection against fires but it obviously wouldn't survive a furnace.

It's not some great feat of engineering in build quality. what would build quality even encompass? 'Fireproof' here just means a plastic flame retardant housing that wasn't exposed to high temperatures long enough to get at the internals.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

It's not deluded at all. You always hear of this stuff. It depends how bad the house fire was to warp metal components but you always hear of electronics in plastic casings surviving house fires and people turn it into some kind of miracle. The plastic is relatively good protection against fires but it obviously wouldn't survive a furnace.

It's not some great feat of engineering in build quality. 'Fireproof' here just means a plastic flame retardant housing that wasn't exposed to high temperatures long enough to get at the internals.

You misunderstood, friend. I was calling that weirdo that thought this was an Xbox PR stunt deluded. I used to bake Xbox 360's in an oven to straighten X-clamp warp, I'm well aware of electronics thermal tolerances, haha.

StereoVsn

Series X and PS5 are hooked up to the main big 4K set downstairs. There’s no need to pay $200 extra for a Series X if it’s never going to be used on a 4K TV. If they make a $299 PS5 digital slim I’ll get those upstairs too. The S is great. I can be playing something downstairs on the main console and with save syncing I can play it on one of the other TVs in the house.

Still waiting on why someone wouldn’t want one in their home though.
Because it can't even hit 1080p on some of the recent games?

But overall though the boxes are great for kids, streaming games and entertainment stuff.

Bridges

This is like the Nintendo philosophy. I remember reading that for the DS (maybe 3DS? One of their handhelds) they would test dropping their prototypes over and over again to make sure it could survive repeated falls. They knew many children would have one and would be prone to drops.

Top Bottom