• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things don’t last like they used to…

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’d love to see actual data on this as I suspect it’s no where near what people think. I wonder how much is that things are just way way more complex and what is the cutting of corners and what is planned.

I know that some is all 3. My wife’s stand mixer went a few years back and I fixed it but the number of parts inside that were plastic instead of metal (the one I got the parts from) shocked me. They were thin too. Now, I’m not saying plastic stuff is bad but it certainly doesn’t seem as sturdy.
plastic stuff is bad though, and it is not as sturdy.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Just a warning in general, Samsung appliances are extremely unreliable. Talk to folks who do repairs for a living, they’re the most knowledgeable on which brands to avoid. Samsung takes the top spot by a huge margin for failures. Samsung makes so much stuff, they’re full on jack of all trades, master of none.

Trogdor1123

Just a warning in general, Samsung appliances are extremely unreliable. Talk to folks who do repairs for a living, they’re the most knowledgeable on which brands to avoid. Samsung takes the top spot by a huge margin for failures. Samsung makes so much stuff, they’re full on jack of all trades, master of none.
I didn’t know that. We have a stupidly expensive Bosch dishwasher and it has broken so many times…

It’s super quiet though

Wildebeest

For sure!

But don't you think devices are purposeful made with less then stellar components so as to break down ealier ie buying said product at an earlier rate?
If you buy cheap Chinese knock off electronics, they will probably fail quickly because they cut so many corners, presuming the appliance doesn't kill you before it fails, or isn't a dummy product that does nothing. I suppose competing with product like that, participating in that supply chain, can have some blowback. I still think the main problem is people are demanding swiss army knife products that do way too much, with tight profit margins.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If you buy cheap Chinese knock off electronics, they will probably fail quickly because they cut so many corners, presuming the appliance doesn't kill you before it fails, or isn't a dummy product that does nothing. I suppose competing with product like that, participating in that supply chain, can have some blowback. I still think the main problem is people are demanding swiss army knife products that do way too much, with tight profit margins.

Ehh i don't feel only the Chinese is solely at fault

Wildebeest

Ehh i don't feel only the Chinese is solely at fault
We can look at China as an example of where electronics are expected by buyers to fail very quickly, and the reason for that is usually extremely aggressive cost-cutting or outright fake product. Maybe your local appliance retailer has products like this, but more likely they have some frankenproduct designed by someone in marketing that has a feature list longer than your arm when you just need it to do one thing and not break.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
We can look at China as an example of where electronics are expected by buyers to fail very quickly, and the reason for that is usually extremely aggressive cost-cutting or outright fake product. Maybe your local appliance retailer has products like this, but more likely they have some frankenproduct designed by someone in marketing that has a feature list longer than your arm when you just need it to do one thing and not break.

Yes that's obvious indeed.

lukilladog

I will never touch seagate, logitech, and microsoft gamepad products ever again. And I think that its very likely that gpu manufacturers tried to kill their own chips after a certain amount of power cycles, so glad it exploded on their faces (bumpgate), althouh they are closely working now with vram cartels and we are seeing how much faster they degrade now thanks to miners.

Last edited:

Winter John

Doc Martens have gone to shit. I bought a pair about 2 years ago. They're already fucked. The ones they were meant to replace were bought in the early 90s and are still wearable.

Liljagare

Gold Member
Have you ever read the book 'The Wastemakers' by Vance Packard? He was years ahead of his time and in 1960 was writing about how manufacturers were using 'planned obsolescence' as a part of their products. 60 years later most of what he was predicting was uncannily accurate!

Worked for a long time with wetwares, was sad to see the progression, now everything is built to break. Went from everything being design with high safety factors, in metal, to zinc parts touching steel (planned obsolescence, Samsung and LG, I am looking at you, in short, the zinc/steel parts, the zinc will corrode away over time), to plastics.

Most fun had, when similar machines were sold here in EU at two different brand stores, one was alot cheaper, also almost same model number, but had a different ending sequence in the model number. One had metal screws, the other, plastic. Brands had different production lines for the two.

New machines might use less energy to run, but over its short lifespan, they create alot more waste, more transportation needs...

Fun guy to watch, if a little dry.. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom