• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third pillar sh** should stop, I want 1 handheld after DS, and its DS 2

next gameboy should be DS2, they shoud just keep the goodness of the double screens coming..

My wish list for GamboyNext/DS2

-2 screens
-both Touch!
-make it as the two screens can stick together making a one long vertical screen
-backward compatible with DS
-better graphics ofcourse

thats about it

*relieved*

akascream

Banned
2 screens is worthless imo. Make a gba2 with a touchscreen and I'm happy.

Oh, and make it cart based again. It's pretty sad that the DS is less innovative than games like WW:Twisted, and worse, the DS can't be expanded through cart functionality with those little 3D memory carts.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Make it 3 screens, so you can play games and pictochat at the same time. Or wait, maybe that'll require 4 screens?

quetz67

Banned
I want two screens, one on the front, one on the back

seriously, the real advantage is touch screen, not dual screen. Give us one PSP size touch screen and there is enough space for all information needed.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
ThongyDonk said:
no cos if its one screen and touch your hand will be blotting out half the screen all the time.

I know, I had such a hard time with Yosh's Touch and Go... *sigh*

akascream said:
Fold design good. Touch screen good. Touch screen on base best. This leaves flip-up portion. Stick on more screen.

akascream

Banned
ThongyDonk said:
no cos if its one screen and touch your hand will be blotting out half the screen all the time.

I don't really play by smearing my greasy fingers all over the screen. I can see through the stylus pretty easily.

D-X

3 Screens?

arcade_F355.jpg

akascream said:
I don't really play by smearing my greasy fingers all over the screen. I can see through the stylus pretty easily.

Hunters controls like a dream with the thumb-strap...

I want two screens

Hyoushi

akascream said:

Oh, and make it cart based again. It's pretty sad that the DS is less innovative than games like WW:Twisted, and worse, the DS can't be expanded through cart functionality with those little 3D memory carts.
Well. It does have "support cartridge" functionality, i.e a DS game can recognize a GBA cart which has force feedback and use that rumble in a DS game. I read about this being tested at E3 somewhere...

ge-man

I think one screen would be better, but I think Nintendo should adopt a Wonderswan approach so that they can have the same screen real estate with out chopping the screen space in half.

I'm fine with the cards, though. Matrix just recently announced that they have doubled their capacity while remaining within the same surface area. This growth is the reason Nintendo is sticking these instead of carts--carts are never going to allow them compete with optical based media on some decent level. Plus, I'm sure that NCL could make expansion that going into the GBA slot if they desired, but I'm sure that the next GB will pack all possible features in this time (I'm my positive that Miyamoto mentioned last E3 that they had to axe motion sensors in the DS--that's really the only thing missing at this point).

Carts are fine especially as capacity is increasing all the time.
2 screens are good, but could slide to fit together more
touching is good
wi-fi is great
mic is cool
just needs a built in camera!!

akascream

Banned
2 screens just makes the thing too damn big. Handhelds should be small. At the most, gba or psp size, and at best gba micro size.

akascream said:
Come on, when the DS is open the thing is massive.

no its not massive. its a fair size. It closes smaller than a PSP. You don't carry out in your pocket open

...................................................................Or Do You??????? :lol :lol

Ponn

Banned
ThongyDonk said:
no its not massive. its a fair size. It closes smaller than a PSP. You don't carry out in your pocket open

...................................................................Or Do You??????? :lol :lol

Even closed its pretty much the same size as a PSP. Actually the PSP is a little shorter then a closed DS.

akascream said:
When playing it, it is too top heavy and akward. I feel like I should set it on my lap like a laptop or something.
are you mad?
the top is lighter than the bottom. and its not heavy in the first instance

Troidal

DS micro please.
They can easily do a flip-top even with that size, might cost a lot, but I'm all for it.

Then again, the screen might be too small to do touch pads, so a little bigger version of the micro I suppose...^^;;

jarrod

Banned
I just want a DS SP... smaller formfactor, better battery, sleeker design, higher visibility screens. That'd be perfect.

all they need at the moment with the NDS is better branding. a nicer exterior casing and perhaps a slightly bigger screen. how much that would push up the costs vs target audience i'm sure is debatable. i'd be quite happy when online play comes along that a small camera attachment gets released so you can see who you're playing with/ against on the top screen.

oh...snap jarrod. :lol

akascream

Banned
ThongyDonk said:
are you mad?
the top is lighter than the bottom. and its not heavy in the first instance

Insults rule. No, it is top heavy because you hold the bottom portion and have this whole extra gameboy sticking out the top like a siamese twin. It isn't heavy, but it sure isn't comfortable, especially while holding it with one hand to use a stylus or trying to reach over with that stupid thumb stick they give you.

Ponn

Banned
akascream said:
Insults rule. No, it is top heavy because you hold the bottom portion and have this whole extra gameboy sticking out the top like a siamese twin. It isn't heavy, but it sure isn't comfortable, especially while holding it with one hand to use a stylus or trying to reach over with that stupid thumb stick they give you.

Agree, that's why i want a redesign on it quick so I can actually enjoy it more and not get hand cramps. I have noticed everyone I see playing it are 9 times out of 10 holding it in their laps to play. I think thats why my one friend loves it the most and actually raves about it like it's a feature. Keep in mind this guy holds controllers in his lap like an arcade stick and actually plays all games this way, it's really weird and I don't know how he does it.

akascream said:

i give up

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I will say I have come to love the touch screen and think it goes hand-in-hand with portable gaming. I do think any GBA2 should have one - though that might depend on whether or not the technology improves so that there's less of a visible touch sensor overlay obscuring the screen.

Dual screens is not a prerequisite for me, but I don't think they're superfluous either. I'm greatly looking forward to DS Castlevania with an always-on map and stat screen while I play, for instance, and some of the other dual screen uses have been worthwhile IMHO.

Buggy Loop

I kinda agree, dual screen and touch screen is really nice especially now that more games that will be released this year will showcase what you can do with it. Even if you arent making something innovative with it, its a really nice option for an interface, portable screens are small, the more the interface fills the screen the less view you're left with for the gaming camera, since text has to be kinda big since portable have small screens, a screen dedicated to maps/inventory is really not bad at all.

Its surprising but nintendo really hit it on the nail with DS, i had doubts but looking at the upcoming lineup, i think i'll prefer this platform way more than the traditional GBA line.

And yea, if you want touch screen, you better have 2 screens, it might be fine for PDAs where you just click on icons but for gaming, you need to see whats going on, imagine playing mario 64 but with the gaming view on the touch screen, and when you use the thumbstrap (best control scheme for mario64 imo), you wouldnt be able to see shit.

Buggy Loop said:
And yea, if you want touch screen, you better have 2 screens, it might be fine for PDAs where you just click on icons but for gaming, you need to see whats going on, imagine playing mario 64 but with the gaming view on the touch screen, and when you use the thumbstrap (best control scheme for mario64 imo), you wouldnt be able to see shit.

What if they just include an analog stick in addition to everything else in the next one?

akascream

Banned

It wouldn't be too bad if they did the thumbstrap controls properly. There should have been a seperate control mode for it where the original touch point would be anchored in place and wouldn't drag around the screen. I couldn't use it at all anyway, dual screen or not. If it were anchored, you could just use a corner of the screen and would be fine.

I can agree with this sentiment, actually.

After having a DS for a while, it's design and form factor are a very logical extension of past portables, and all the features it added aren't particularly "revolutionary" per se, but rather a nice way to differentiate it from home systems as something like this would be too cost ineffective to really implement well.

As mentioned above, it's very nice to move all your buttons and interface stuff to a secondary screen for portability reasons, and if you're going to make it a touch panel having it on a different display makes sense simply to keep your hand out of the way. The wireless is an excellent, obvious feature as well.

If they're going to make a DS SP, all it needs is a bit better battery life, a smaller form factor, and screens that actually link up vertically and it'll be a winner.

very nice thread... I never knew the DS meant so much to all of you

makes me wonder if all the DS hate was only the creation of Mr. Drinky

if DS software sales stay strong I thinking we will see a DS SP by xmas next year
I too hope the GBA and DS line merge forever into one unit next time

Spencerr

Banned
akascream said:

You realize that the DS can read from the GBA slot while running a DS game, right?

I've said so before, but my theory is that Nintendo could've easily had two plans for post-DS hardware. Option one would be to go more the PSP/GBA route and have a more basic handheld with one screen built into a controller. However, if DS actually took off and thus the machine wasn't needed for a few more years, they'd just need DS-ify it by pushing it back a few years and adding in the extra doodads like the extra touch screen and microphone, and not really mess with the basic graphics/sound hardware much. Much as DS has been said to be an earlier proposed hardware relatively quickly given these extra features.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
one touch screen, and an analog nub/stick.

For touching games like kirby etc, you need to touch the screen you are playing on, so the second screen is irrelevant, as are comments about you hand obscuring your view - the game would need to be designed to take that into account.

Games that use the thumb-nub as an analog pad/mouselook would be fine with a proper pad. Although its a cool use of the touchscreen, it doesn't seem anything more than a workaround for the lack of a real analog input.

I agree, DS should be the new gameboy.Next one, big wide screen, say 640x320, with touch and analog inputs. Keep the mic, add gyros and have an LCD with better viewing angle like thePSP, so you can still see it when tilting.

mrkgoo

You know, something I never understood why Nintendo never did: Forwards compatibility with their add-ons.

Come on, it couldn't have been that hard.

E.G. Super Smash Brothers Melee - since it can read your memory card to see which games you played to give you appropriate trophies, they should've had secret trophies that unlocked when you played future games such as Metroid Prime and/or Sunshine. Yeah, they could've been hacked out, and possibly ruin any surprise, but they could've also had generic Samus and mario trophies. It hsould've been entirely possible... have SSB scan teh mem card for a save that had a particular file name or identifier, and give that identifier to future game's saves.

On that note, they could've made something like Wario Ware twisted to be able to out put it's tilt signal, so that later games on DS could use it (needs Warioware twisted to play!). it would've been cool.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
mrkgoo said:
they should've had secret trophies that unlocked when you played future games such as Metroid Prime and/or Sunshine. Yeah, they could've been hacked out, and possibly ruin any surprise, but they could've also had generic Samus and mario trophies

This won't make you feel any better, but did you know SSBM has two hidden trophies that have never been unlocked for the American audience? Mario & Yoshi and Samus Unmasked.

I got both unlocked, finally, after hacking an Action Replay cheat code... most of the existing codes just give you 99 of every trophy, but I didn't want that... so I played with some of the codes until I came up with one that unlocked just ONE of each of those trophies.

Whee!

mrkgoo said:
On that note, they could've made something like Wario Ware twisted to be able to out put it's tilt signal, so that later games on DS could use it (needs Warioware twisted to play!). it would've been cool.
Do we know for sure it can't? As far as DS cards and GBA carts working in tandem it seems like the DS card is the master. Or do the DS "Option Paks" really have the be made in some different way?

Top Bottom