• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the first time we've seen Rockstar bring 3D mainline GTA titles to a Nintendo platform and it's sort of a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You have to wonder what the hold up has been but I think it's a good sign that we are seeing mainline 3D GTA games of any capacity come to a Nintendo platform and it's the first time in history it's happened. It's historically significant because Rockstar is a third party console kingmaker and for whatever reason Nintendo was never on their radar (early NES games aside). DS's massive sales convinced Rockstar to bring Chintown Wars to the DS at one point but that was a top down 2D spin off for those who remember.

Chinatown Wars on DS was not well received but I have a feeling the GTA ports will do gangbusters on Switch and create inroads for future games in the franchise.

Mr Branding

Leonardo Dicaprio Ok GIF by MOODMAN

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
GTA III is finally coming the GameCube's great-great-successor.

Seriously though, it's obvious that the trilogy will do well on all platforms, but I'm interested in the Switch release.
The 3D Mario collection sold 9 million, right? I would say the GTA trilogy can do 5 millions on the Switch. Over/underestimate? What do I know.

You have to wonder what the hold up has been but I think it's a good sign that we are seeing mainline 3D GTA games of any capacity come to a Nintendo platform and it's the first time in history it's happened. It's historically significant because Rockstar is a third party console kingmaker and for whatever reason Nintendo was never on their radar (early NES games aside). DS's massive sales convinced Rockstar to bring Chintown Wars to the DS at one point but that was a top down 2D spin off for those who remember.

Chinatown Wars on DS was not well received but I have a feeling the GTA ports will do gangbusters on Switch and create inroads for future games in the franchise.
The Wii received Bully: Scholarship Edition, Scarface:The World is Yours, and The Godfather Blackhand Edition. Not really that big of a deal. What could Rockstar Games release at this point that would make even a considerable fraction of the waves their titles made originally given the abundance of platforms they released everything on?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I think it was more of a case of "since we're putting fuck all effort into these, they'll run on anything, including a toaster. Oh ffs what will it take to get this Nintendo rep off my back? How about we toss em this shit, it'll keep them happy for another generation."

Switch is my favourite of all next gen consoles but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking this is more than it is, third party wise.

Kerotan

I mean getting a 20 year old ps2 game remastered isn't a good sign at all. And any new fans it makes on the switch will just be sad when they see gta 6 comes for the ps5 and not the switch.

Robb

Gold Member
I was honestly surprised they even bothered. As you mention they usually never release stuff on Nintendo platforms.

I personally doubt it means anything for future releases though, even if they are successful.

Last edited:

Closer

The Wii received Bully: Scholarship Edition, Scarface:The World is Yours, and The Godfather Blackhand Edition. Not really that big of a deal. What could Rockstar Games release at this point that would make even a considerable fraction of the waves their titles made originally given the abundance of platforms they released everything on?

Manhunt also.

Meesh

It's more or a token offering, it's appreciated and now there's some representation on the platform.... but "new" content? .... ehhhh....

Astral Dog

What do you mean Chinatown wars was not well recieved? Its one of the best reviewed games on DS! Its pretty awesome

And Switch is actually popular with third parties, has been since it released, yet you forgot everybody and their mom has been asking for GTAV to come to Switch

Alcibiades

I figured a halfway decent port of any mainline GTA game on Wii or Switch (maybe even Wii U) would be low-hanging fruit for easy profits. Hire a port house to do it if the main devs didn't want.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

This isn't a big deal. What are you smoking?

Astral Dog

Considering The Witcher 3 and Skyrim can run on Switch, and GTA V is a PS3/360 game at heart, it is strange that they’ve never ported GTA V. Even just the online mode as a digital download only would surely make a lot of cash.
Because GTA V is no longer the old PS3 campaign version, has not been since a long time its massive now, would break the Switch lol, every version now uses brand new assets that were made for PS4/ONE,plus Online is a big big component of the GTA V experience, i understand why they didn't bother

Unk Adams

Banned
DS's massive sales convinced Rockstar to bring Chintown Wars to the DS at one point but that was a top down 2D spin off for those who remember.
1999 called.

7414-grand-theft-auto-game-boy-color-front-cover.jpg

And 2000 as well.

62738-grand-theft-auto-2-game-boy-color-front-cover.jpg

And 2004.
grand-theft-auto-advance-usa.png

These are the first 3D versions because the timing and technology are finally right. But this compilation of old games really just follows in the footsteps of previous entries being offshoots or adapted versions coming to a Nintendo system. But GTA on a Nintendo system is nothing new and has been happening for over 20 years now.

cormack12

Gold Member
You have to wonder what the hold up has been but

Waiting for Nintendo to release hardware that can run games that old when ported I guess. I mean look at saint's row the turd.

It would be mildly interesting if gta v was coming to the platform which will be 9 nine years old when it releases (almost a decade). That tells you more.

They didn't even port the ?five? year old GTA V PS3/Xbox 360 version when they 'remastered' it for PS4/XB1.

Astral Dog

I mean getting a 20 year old ps2 game remastered isn't a good sign at all. And any new fans it makes on the switch will just be sad when they see gta 6 comes for the ps5 and not the switch.
Its a nice gesture regardless, its not a sudden 'WE ARE MAKING EVERYTHING FOR SWITCH' announcement just that they will include the platform for their smaller releases, like this and LA Noire.

Everybody should know by now that if you are looking for the latest prettiest AAA game releases you simply don't buy a Switch

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
EA and Take Two have never sold massive numbers on Nintendo platforms and they are always bitter about it. Most of their games just aren't that good. This is a minimal port job that doesn't mean anything.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Despite all the responses here a few things need to be acknowledged:

1. Switch is getting stronger third party support than any Nintendo console since SNES, these "remasters" (and more current games like Doom Eternal, MH Rise, Wolf 2, Alien Isolation ect.) are Nintendo doing business with AAA publishers and an increasingly larger portion of the industry. Fences are being mended, as opposed to being burnt in previous generations.

2. Hardware is becoming increasingly scalable, and when the next Switch comes this will be even more evident in its third party support.

3. MH Rise sold 7.5 million copies. If GTA sells like expected, what do you think happens? This industry is driven by money. Nothing more or less.

Marty-McFly

Banned
EA and Take Two have never sold massive numbers on Nintendo platforms and they are always bitter about it. Most of their games just aren't that good. This is a minimal port job that doesn't mean anything.
I'm sure there's going to a sizable audience who would like to play this on a portable. Perhaps even larger than the other consoles. We really don't know what the extent of the port job (remakes) is. It's just based on assumptions. Either way, anything GTA is a big deal and if Switch has a high share of the sales it will bode well for the future.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I like how people seem to be glossing over the fact that R* seems to go out of their way to avoid Nintendo and their hardware, and as proof they throw out the tidbits they've tossed Nintendo along the way. I sense a great deal of animosity towards Nintendo regarding R*; they've only ever put what paltry samples they've graced Nintendo's hardware with on the systems that have sold the most. But if the PS2 trilogy of GTA games sell gangbusters on the Switch, I'd be willing to bet boardroom members might start questioning why they haven't put more effort into such easy money.

Marty-McFly

Banned
What do you mean Chinatown wars was not well recieved? Its one of the best reviewed games on DS! Its pretty awesome

And Switch is actually popular with third parties, has been since it released, yet you forgot everybody and their mom has been asking for GTAV to come to Switch
Chinatown wars sold well below expectations on DS and it further divided Nintendo and Rockstar in the years following.

I'm guessing this will do the opposite and sell gangbusters and have the opposite effect.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I like how people seem to be glossing over the fact that R* seems to go out of their way to avoid Nintendo and their hardware, and as proof they throw out the tidbits they've tossed Nintendo along the way. I sense a great deal of animosity towards Nintendo regarding R*; they've only ever put what paltry samples they've graced Nintendo's hardware with on the systems that have sold the most. But if the PS2 trilogy of GTA games sell gangbusters on the Switch, I'd be willing to bet boardroom members might start questioning why they haven't put more effort into such easy money.
This is my thinking as well. I'm sure we'll see more sarcastic gifs and people writing off Nintendo though as if that's been working out this gen any better Micheal Pachter predictions :messenger_kissing_smiling: .

Kerotan

Its a nice gesture regardless, its not a sudden 'WE ARE MAKING EVERYTHING FOR SWITCH' announcement just that they will include the platform for their smaller releases, like this and LA Noire.

Everybody should know by now that if you are looking for the latest prettiest AAA game releases you simply don't buy a Switch
This is just standard Nintendo since Sony pushed them out of the high end console market.

Marty-McFly

Banned
This is just standard Nintendo since Sony pushed them out of the high end console market.
Right into the more profitable Hybrid console market. In any case, Nintendo did the same to their competitor's in the handheld sector, and I believe this is the direction they were always meant to take because a hybrid is a more versatile form factor where they can now put all of their content.

Kerotan

Right into the more profitable Hybrid console market. In any case, Nintendo did the same to their competitor's in the handheld sector, and I believe this is the direction they were always meant to take because a hybrid is a more versatile form factor where they can now put all of their content.
Actually no. More profitable then if Sony didn't do that? Nintendo would be making billions more on top of their billions if Sony didn't bully them out.

Deerock71

Actually no. More profitable then if Sony didn't do that? Nintendo would be making billions more on top of their billions if Sony didn't bully them out.
Same could be said of Sony. Sony tried to kill the King, but the King's still standing. Sony could be making so many billions more if they had made Nintendo go 3rd party, but they failed.

No, I really don't see this being anything at all for anybody who doesn't only buy Nintendo platforms and has been absolutely desperate to play GTA 3 since it was released in 2001, twenty years ago. These are such old games now and they've been available on mobile phones for a decade already, it's just that the games are so old that it would be pretty stupid for them not to release them on any of the consoles now and that's why new version are also coming to mobile next year. I just doesn't make any sense to not do it really.
If this really was a "thing" the fact that Switch is finally getting a GTA would be all over the gaming news. If GTA VI was announced as a Switch exclusive then you would notice that something had happened due to the amount of gaming press that it was getting and you probably wouldn't have felt the need to create a thread like this one to try and convince people. Nintendo could literally bury this news with one of a thousand tiny announcements for a new game or remaster of an old game.
It's also worth remembering that last year a homebrew conversion of GTA 3 hit multiple handheld platforms, including Nintendo platforms so I'd imagine Rockstar would prefer to have people playing their version instead.

Deerock71

I'm not sure if that squinched up face is aimed at me, but if it is, are you suggesting the BILLIONS Nintendo has made since Sony stepped into the fray are not BILLIONS that might have gone to Sony, instead? I believe that was their goal, and they failed.

EDMIX

Dude your phone got this game before Nintendo did.

What's next? It's a big deal that MGS1 went to PC?

This.

Its going to make the begging even worse when they come out with GTAVI, Red Dead Redemption 3 etc Rockstar is just cashing in on a easy port, I see nothing more then just that going on here.

Marty-McFly Marty-McFly The deep lolz. I disagree completely. Switch is getting JUST as many 3rd party as we saw prior. Telling us shit like Monster Hunter sold xyz is irrelvant when you factor that they also sold a lot on 3DS as well, I'm sorry man but I don't see that they are getting more of shit tbh. They are getting the same fucking publishers support them and any of the one off randoms mean very little in the long run.

Telling us that Doom or LA Noire or GTA's from 20 years ago coming to Switch MUST be a big deal is just as silly as telling us that splinter cell is coming to the wii u or Watchdogs or something, only to be silent as shit when that same publisher ignores the platform with many, many IP the generation that follows.

Sega tried with Yakuza and moved on, Ubisoft tried with AC, Watchdogs, Splinter cell and many more and just moved the fuck on lol You'll see Rockstar and ID move on just the same.

I've said this many, many times.....publishers will test the waters to see how games perform, they will move on the next gen and all you see is that ID and Rockstar are taking the same fucking turns that Sega, Ubisoft and Square did the generations prior before just ignore the platform with their biggest IP. They tried, they realize the base doesn't care for 3rd party titles compared to PC, PS and XB, they moved on.... it has nothing to even JUST do with power at this point, it has to do with that Nintendo gamers literally play a certain type of IP and if its not published by Nintendo, you dno't have a much of a shot of making much money even with a 100 million install base, as in some fucking games sold MORE on XB then on Nintendo systems even with the Nintendo system having more units sold, simply because that install base buys such IPs that Nintendo gamers simply don't to the same degree.

The fact that Ubisoft even NEEDS to license out a Nintendo IP to even make a solid amount of money shows it has nothing to do with the publisher or the developer and everything to do with the install base buying Nintendo IPs 99% of the time.

Telling me how great Monster Hunter did is irrelevant as you could have argued that on Wii, Wii U, 3DS etc.

End of the day, The Sequel to Monster Hunter World will be on PS5, PC, Series X, games like RE4 remake, next DMC etc will likely be only on PS5, PC, Series X, GTAVI, Red Dead Redemption 3 etc will likely only be on PS5, PC, Series X

I don't know what to tell you bud, but none of that shit sounds like gaining support, that sounds like they want to port an easy title if it fits and that one off doesn't mean you'll continue to fucking see MORE titles, that doesn't sound like "support" sir anymore then those games coming to iOS or phones etc A game from 20 years ago coming to iphone doesn't fucking mean Resident Evil 9 is coming to iphone and will be made ONLY for iphone etc, I don't know why suddenly that means any publisher is going balls deep portable lol I don't see any evidence of that, just the opposite. Starfield isn't coming to Switch my guy, that alone shows what ever Bethesda had, made sense for a few titles, NOT ALL THEIR GAMES going forward, this is a nothing story man...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom