• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the first time we've seen Rockstar bring 3D mainline GTA titles to a Nintendo platform and it's sort of a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerotan

Same could be said of Sony. Sony tried to kill the King, but the King's still standing. Sony could be making so many billions more if they had made Nintendo go 3rd party, but they failed.
It can't be said because Sony only ever had 1 decent selling handheld and even then it didn't make much profit and the DS vastly outsold it.

An equivalent would be if Sony were the handheld kings before Nintendo and, ninty came in late and bullied them out.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Mainline instalments of biggest selling 3D AAA franchise ever coming to the best selling platform ever (after 78 months on the market) for the first time in history.

Not important or newsworthy at all guys.

giphy.gif

Not important or newsworthy at all guys.
Which is probably why it's not in the news.
I understand that this may be important to you and that's fine, but look outside of yourself and you'll see it really isn't anything special. If this was at all significant in any way then Nintendo would certainly be talking about it as if it was as would the gaming press but that hasn't happened. It's good that you're getting something that you want but that's it being a big deal to you rather than it being a big deal in general.
By far the most important thing for Rockstar is GTA Online and that's being removed from the 360 and PS3 by the end of this year, over fifteen years after it launched and there's still no mention of their most valuable arriving arriving on Switch.
This really isn't important to Nintendo and it isn't important to Rockstar either, it's just a normal game release for both of them. The sort of thing that happens every week without any fuss being caused.

anthony2690

Banned
Is it really a big deal though?

I would've said Witcher 3 coming to switch was a much bigger deal than very very old GTA titles.

mejin

Well, cloud version is always a possibility on Switch.

But man....this a reminder of why I don't bother with the Famitsu threads. So many deep food for thoughts.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Which is probably why it's not in the news.
I understand that this may be important to you and that's fine, but look outside of yourself and you'll see it really isn't anything special. If this was at all significant in any way then Nintendo would certainly be talking about it as if it was as would the gaming press but that hasn't happened. It's good that you're getting something that you want but that's it being a big deal to you rather than it being a big deal in general.
By far the most important thing for Rockstar is GTA Online and that's being removed from the 360 and PS3 by the end of this year, over fifteen years after it launched and there's still no mention of their most valuable arriving arriving on Switch.
This really isn't important to Nintendo and it isn't important to Rockstar either, it's just a normal game release for both of them. The sort of thing that happens every week without any fuss being caused.
It's been getting reported for months?

When is the last time the GTA franchise saw three of its instalments remastered?

Why are people trying to downplay this?

EDMIX

It's been getting reported for months?

When is the last time the GTA franchise saw three of its instalments remastered?

Why are people trying to downplay this?

The last time? My guy, like every fucking generation gets a GTA port....

Dear god, a better question is what generation DIDN'T See a fucking GTA port of those titles? The fuck?

After the PS2 release, it was ported to PC, Mac, Android, ios, PS3, PS4, 360, XONE etc

To really be out here making it sound like some rare, wild, unbelievable thing occurred is laughable.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The last time? My guy, like every fucking generation gets a GTA port....

Dear god, a better question is what generation DIDN'T See a fucking GTA port of those titles? The fuck?

After the PS2 release, it was ported to PC, Mac, Android, ios, PS3, PS4, 360, XONE etc

To really be out here making it sound like some rare, wild, unbelievable thing occurred is laughable.
So the GTA trilogy has been remastered/remade before?

EDMIX

So the GTA trilogy has been remastered/remade before?

Sir, like every fucking generation, where have you been? lol

Again...what gen hasn't gotten a set of those GTA games? The fuck? Yet you are making this sound like some massive deal, yet you don't know how often they fucking port those games?

Wow bud.

This isn't anything new, this is the norm...

Marty-McFly

Banned
Sir, like every fucking generation, where have you been? lol

Again...what gen hasn't gotten a set of those GTA games? The fuck? Yet you are making this sound like some massive deal, yet you don't know how often they fucking port those games?

Wow bud.

This isn't anything new, this is the norm...
Sorry your overreaction here is puzzling.

The games have been ported but the trilogy has never been remade/remastered, and never on a Nintendo platform.

JimboJones

It is surprising, I can only imagine a lot of work was already done and the install base of the switch made it a no brainer.

There was always a technical or install base reason when bringing GTA over to Nintendo systems, GC disks to small, Wii not worth the porting effort and very different audience, WiiU being a flop.

Switch just ticks all the right boxes at the moment, huge install base and the technology to run it.

Nah, I think that they just made a console without strange gimmicks or too weak. Since GTAIV Nintendo consoles weren't ideal for a multiplatform release of GTA games, they were too weak or too unsuccessful. Now switch has the success and the hardware to handle a multiplaform release of the collection. 3DS and WiiU in the same situation would have been a no no. GTA6 will probably not release on switch due to the specs alone.

Mr Hyde

I think the real reason why GTA (3D mainline) has never appeared on a Nintendo console is because of Shigeru Miyamoto. He has been very outspoken about his disgust of the franchise and that it's something Nintendo should never endorse. Rockstar probably doesn't give a fuck about it since GTA is such a juggernaut seller anyway, but I think they've wanted to port GTA before, just that higher executives at Nintendo such as Miyamoto has thrown a wrench in it.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nah, I think that they just made a console without strange gimmicks or too weak. Since GTAIV Nintendo consoles weren't ideal for a multiplatform release of GTA games, they were too weak or too unsuccessful. Now switch has the success and the hardware to handle a multiplaform release of the collection. 3DS and WiiU in the same situation would have been a no no. GTA6 will probably not release on switch due to the specs alone.
Switch 2 will be out before GTA 6 is out.

If this does well I can easily see it happening at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom